Polo! (how many RPs do you do at any one time? xD)

Page 20 of 23 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Polo! (how many RPs do you do at any one time? xD)

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:51 pm

”No point.” Jimmy replied simply, and Kougu turned to catch each gun as they were tossed back to him. He slipped the one into his belt, and the other back into his pocket.
“He's not even worth the extra bullets.”
“He wasn’t even worth one.” Kougu muttered under his breath, shaking his head silently. His conscience grudgingly agreed on this point – and Kougu took that as permission to shrug off his moral dilemma. It didn’t count as murder – because Antonio was not even a shadow of a man.
He turned to walk back inside, but before he could take a step, a tap on his shoulder stopped him.
Kougu spun around automatically, hand poised above the handle of the gun poking from his belt.
But then he met Jimmy’s gaze, and slowly relaxed.
“Listen, mate. Thanks. Just... Just thanks. I couldn't have done it without you.”
Kougu said nothing, but shifted his weight onto his other foot, and considered Jimmy thoughtfully.
“Don’t mention it.” He muttered at last, a bitter little smile pulling at the corners of his mouth, “This is what I do.”
Jimmy obviously didn’t hear Kougu’s quiet mutter, because he went on uninterrupted, and Kougu shifted back onto his heels to listen, relaxing his tense muscles at last.
“Listen... You know the old mill just down the street? The one they're converting into flats?”[/I[
Kougu nodded.
[I] “Can I meet you at the top? I could do with someone to talk to, and I don't want Charlie to know about any of it.”

He frowned slightly at this, tightening his jaw, but before he could reply – Jimmy walked off.
The older man brushed past him, which caused Kougu to jump, then growl in annoyance. Didn’t Jimmy know better than to be ‘in his space’ by now? After all the hassle he’d just gone through to save the man’s sorry hide, Kougu did not want to be the one to kill him now.
His eyes followed Jimmy’s back intently as he walked into the house, lingered a moment, then turned to walk out again.
Kougu was about to let him go, but at the last moment, he muttered in a low voice, “You know you’ve given me hell, don’t you?” He looked up, and for once, his dark blue eyes locked on Jimmy’s, and held his gaze firmly, “We ended up allies somehow, but…” His gaze darted toward Antonio’s bloody corpse, “He’s dead now.” He looked up at Jimmy again, and with a harsh gaze, murmured softly, “I’m used to people screwing me over the second they don’t need me any more – but somehow I never learn.” He shrugged, “I’ll be there. But mark my words, Jimmy, if this is some stupid scheme to take me down, it’s not going to end well for you.”
He nodded briefly to Jimmy, then turned away, heading back inside.
It’s nothing personal, ‘mate’. I just don’t trust anybody these days.

((Amped to see what Jimmy has to say, so sorry Charlie, you can have your Kougu back later. XD ))

A short while later, Kougu arrived at the old mill. He had taken the bike that Anthony had accumulated from somewhere at some stage – and parked it at the base of the construction.
He took his time making his way to the top, because honestly the day’s events had tired him, and despite his threatening speech to Jimmy earlier, he was not entirely sure he could hold his own in a fight.
With all that had happened that day, it had certainly been too much too soon, considering he’d only come out of a coma that morning.
He almost chuckled at how ridiculous it seemed.
Best get all this over with, so he could get some rest.
“Jimmy?” He asked quietly, eyes straining around him into the gloom.
If you jump out and attack me now, Jimmy, may God have mercy on your soul.
Polo trapped in an inkpot

Location : With the beast under your bed, in your closet, in your head...

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:46 am

Jimmy paused and looked over his shoulder at Kougu, amazed by his sudden change of attitude. He'd seen many sides to Kougu, but this one, the threatening one, was new to him. He'd always seen that man as a 'do' person, not a 'say' one. Bu he could tell by Kougu's bitter tone that even though he'd thanked him, Kougu hadn't forgiven him yet. Obviously, he'd proven quite a bother to that man, and for that he was sorry.
“I believe you.” He said seriously, offering a wink before heading out the house. He wouldn't be stupid enough to make the mistake of taking Kougu on again.

When Kougu came to the top of the mill, Jimmy was sat at the edge of the building, his legs crossed and his arms wrapped around them, and for once he didn't look like a grown man, but a young boy. Forced to grow up too quickly, taking on a manly roll in life and never having been able to let go once in a while. For a man of twenty three, he looked incredibly frail.
“You can relax, I don't have nothin' on me.” He said, staring out onto the small, grey town below him. He raised his hands as if to demonstrate, then hooked them back around his legs.
Without waiting for Kougu to join him, he mumbled, “It's a tired old town, isn't it?” His brow creased intently, into a frown that seemed to have moulded into his face permanently. “You don't really notice until you see it from above. You could say it's quite a dump, really, but it serves it's purpose.”
As a cold breeze shuddered through his hood, he pulled it up to his head and leant back in his seat.
“I used to come up here a lot when I was younger. It was a good place to zone out when life at home was too overwhelming.”
He didn't care that he was muttering pointlessly, and that Kougu probably wouldn't care why the top of an old building was so meaningful to him, but for once, he was glad of the company. Somehow, when all your friends hated you, talking to your enemy so personally was oddly relieving. Kougu could think of him what he wished, but Jimmy had a feeling that whatever he said, Kougu would listen.
“I've caused you a lot of bother.” Jimmy looked down at his hands guiltily, and mumbled, “Sorry.”
Hell, he'd caused a lot of people bother in his years. It was something he seemed to be good at, even when he didn't mean to do it.
“I just... Needed someone to talk to. Someone who saw me for who I really was. It seems Charlie probably wouldn't.” He shrugged. “Anyway, since you're here I might as well start from the beginning.”
He looked back out onto the rows and rows of terraced houses intertwined with each other below them, a tree randomly dotted every now and then, a small dog park here, a corner shop there... His home. Everything he ever knew lay in that dump, and he adored it with all his heart.

“My Dad left us when I was quite young. He didn't leave much of a warning or explanation, I managed to catch something about people being after him, but Mum just said he'd gone mad and being around his family was too much for him to handle. I liked to think he left because he was protecting us; I guess no one wants to believe their own father was a coward.” He smiled bitterly and rested his chin on his knees, watching the soft, grey fuzz of smoke waft up the chimney of a house somewhere far away.
“A while after that when I was fourteen, Antonio approached me and my mates after we'd raided a corner shop, said he was a friend of my dad's and that he wanted me to join him with doing more profitable crime than stealing cheap booze from some Asian shop keeper. He said he'd pay me as much as each mission was worth, and that I could travel the country with him for free if I wanted. But I turned him down. I couldn't leave my family and my little sister, Amy, needed looking after. Don't get me wrong, my mum did a good job with her, but she could be a little tyke sometimes, and I took it upon myself as man of the house to help out.
He gave me a tag with his number on – you know, those metal ones you can wear on a chain around your neck – and told me to call him if I ever changed my mind.
A couple of months later, my little sister went missing.”

He unlinked his hands and held his head in them for a moment, trying to calm his breath. The news of finding out it was Antonio who'd taken Amy and forced himself on her still seemed fresh in his mind, even though he'd been told seven weeks ago. Cliché as it was, it still felt like yesterday.
“It had happened in the night when we'd been asleep, they'd come in through the window, smashed it to pieces. Completely trashed her bedroom. You'd have thought with all the screaming we'd have woken up and heard her, but when the investigation took place mum and I had some blood tests and it turns out we'd both been drugged.
By the time we'd both woken up in the morning, Amy was long gone.”
He realised he'd clenched his fists so hard his knuckled had gone white, and his short nails were digging into his palms, so he clutched the hem of his sweatpants instead.
“You can guess who it was that took her.” Of course, it didn't take a genius. But at the time, Jimmy had refused to believe it.
“After a year the search for her was called off, and she was presumed dead. We didn't even get told by an Officer face-to-face. It was through a f*cking phone call.” He shook his head in disgust. “You just can't trust the police these days, anyway. But it was obvious they weren't going to find her. It wasn't that she was dead, but that she was already out of the country.
Tony had taken her to Mexico.”
He lifted his sleeve and scratched his upper arm absent-mindedly, where the worst of his sunburn had been flaking for the last week. It was one of the reasons why he hated that country. Not just because of what had happened, but because it was too damned hot.
“You were probably out of it when he talked about it at the Gallery, or the others might have got you outside, but Tony told me what happened when he kidnapped her. He didn't just take her, he-... He forced himself on her. Raped her. She was seven...
He shook his head and clenched his jaw, trying to force back the tears. He didn't quite succeed.
“He sold her to a rich guy he was friends with called Bernardo Garcia who took her on as his Mistress. At seven. How sick is that?”
He laughed bitterly. It wasn't a question.
“Anyway...” He yanked his sleeve back down and let out a shaky sigh, rubbing his eyes dry with his sleeve. “After the Gallery incident Alfredo and I went there, since Alfredo had gone there before he said he could take me, but it'd be difficult. Saying that Garcia lived in a mansion would be a gross understatement. I'm talking acres of land, grass... I mean, have you been to Mexico?” He glanced at Kougu, pondered for a moment then shook his head, as if deciding it was extremely unlikely. “There isn't any grass. There's bushy things, cactuses, and sand, but no grass. He had palm trees, sprinklers, a lake... Mate, he even had horses. There was a massive wall around the perimeter so people couldn't get in, the only way in was the front gate where cars – or should I say limos – could get in. But it was guarded. Still, little Aldy had an idea.”
His lips formed the word 'Alfy' with a certain bitter distaste, like it was even difficult to say the boy's name without feeling some form of hatred towards him.
“We used the dogs as a diversion – they had their uses – and crept our way into the main building. I was used to doing this sort of thing, not at a scale as big as that, but both of us were good at keeping hidden. It was a hot day so most of the doors were open to let the breeze in. We came across a pair of guards outside some closed doors, and Alfredo told them the guards at the main gates had told us to come in ourselves because there was a problem with some stray dogs and they were occupied. The guards looked suspicious but they lowered their guns, and then we attacked. Quietly of course, didn't want to make too much of a fuss, but they were obviously guarding something important and I wanted to know what it was.
Once we'd shoved them in the nearest store room we opened the door to see what was so important that the doors couldn't be opened to let the air in. And d'you know what we heard?
Music.”

Jimmy closed his eyes to remember what he'd been feeling at that very moment, right before he'd seen the 'important thing', the way the lonely piano notes danced dramatically through his ears, a delicate broken chord in the left hand with a mysterious, sad melody in the upper section of the piano. It was the sort of music you could imagine lots of women in long, flowing dresses dancing to in a big, moonlight scene. But when he'd looked further in, a women in a long dress was not what he saw.
“It was Amy. She couldn't have been any older than fourteen, and she was dancing with a man that looked around late forties. I didn't recognise her at first, they'd died her hair black to make her look Spanish. Garcia was wearing a white suit and sunglasses, and she was wearing.. God, she was wearing barely anything.” He rubbed his tired face and frowned at the skyline intently. “It looked like a swimsuit. A short Tankini-type thing that revealed her stomach. Flowery, you know. With frills around the legs to make it look like a really small skirt. It had a low v-neck line, I mean, really low. Horribly revealing. And she had a rose in her hair.” He clenched his fists again, but this time he didn't stop himself. “She looked too old for fourteen. And she was so thin... The sight of her, and the way Garcia kept poking a feel for her arse seriously made me want to kill him. But I knew that wasn't optional if I wanted to get Amy home again.”
He crossed his arms miserably and hunched over himself, looking horribly defeated.
“The problem with the dogs caused shouting which caught Garcia's attention, and he left Amy in the room to find out what was going on.”
He remembered Alfredo's face when he'd first set eyes on the young woman. His eyes wide in wonderment, his mouth gaping, and the quite mutterings of 'Oh Dios mío' and 'Que es bella', and the hard smack on the head it taken for him to blink again.
“The plan was literally just get there, grab her and go. We were expecting complications, yes, but what we weren't expecting was the look on her face when she saw us.

“She remembered me, of course. She knew who I was, but when she saw me she kept asking me why I was there, what I wanted with her. She kept telling me to leave because if we were caught we'd be killed. I wasn't stupid, I already knew that. But when I told her she was coming with us, she honestly looked like I'd told her I was going to cut her up and feed her to the dogs.”
He scratched his arm again.
“D'you know what she said then? 'Bernardo will leave me alone if I stay here.' The bastard had honestly brainwashed her enough that she thought she was better off with him, after everything he'd done to her. She said it wasn't worth going home because they'd shown her the news report about her being presumed dead and there was no point going back.
We'd had two minutes chance to grab her and get out of there, but in the end it was her who called the guards in. I'd been betrayed by my own sister, all because Bernardo had scared her into obeying him, even when he wasn't around. She wouldn't dare run away, even if it meant she'd be free, because it had been so long since she'd had freedom she'd forgotten what it felt like.”
He wiped his eyes and laughed so weakly it sounded like a sob. He hadn't cried in a long time, and Kougu was the last person he expected to cry in front of, but he'd lost all his dignity back there in Mexico he didn't even care anymore.

((So much for keeping it short. XD The music is 'Just for you' by Giovanni. I reccomend you listen to it if you can, it's a beautiful mood-setter, and you know how bad I am at explaining what music sounds like. XD ))
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:48 am

((There is more, I promise, I just thought I'd given you enough there already. Razz ))
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:53 am

When Kougu saw Jimmy sitting at the edge of the building, his tension slowly dwindled, and when the man raised his arms to show he was unarmed, Kougu relaxed completely. Jimmy didn't look quite so intimidating, hugging his knees like a child, shoulders hunched and head bowed.
Kougu frowned slightly, a little sad to see such a proud man fallen so far, then walked silently over, and sat down beside him.
"It's a tired old town, isn't it?" Jimmy commented as they stared out over a hundred rooftops, all clothed in shades of grey.
“You don't really notice until you see it from above. You could say it's quite a dump, really, but it serves it's purpose.”
"Everything looks different when you see the bigger picture..." Kougu mumbled under his breath, eyes gliding over the dull, quiet town. Jimmy went on to explain how he'd come to the rooftop of the mill as a child, but Kougu only half listened. He was waiting to hear why he had been called up here.
“I've caused you a lot of bother.” Jimmy said suddenly, surprising Kougu with the guilt in his voice. "Sorry."
For a moment he was a little taken aback, but then he relaxed, and even found a subtle smile on his lips.
"Everybody makes mistakes." Kougu replied consolingly, "But it takes a man to learn from them."
As usual, Kougu was determined to see only the good in this man, even after all the hell that Jimmy had caused for him and Charlie. It had always been his biggest flaw... The fact that he was just too quick to forgive, and too keen to forget.
The two stared over the sad little rooftops for a while, until Jimmy spoke again.
“I just... Needed someone to talk to. Someone who saw me for who I really was. It seems Charlie probably wouldn't. Anyway, since you're here I might as well start from the beginning.”
Kougu rather felt like pointing out that he was only there because Jimmy had called him up there, but he refrained, and instead murmured quietly, "I'll lend an ear."
He quietened himself, shifting into a more comfortable position, with his legs dangling over the edge of the roof, and sat back to listen.
Then, Jimmy began his story.
And what a story it was... He found he could empathize with Jimmy right from the start, and he felt the bitterness of the man's family falling apart with some pity - yet somehow, he knew that there was worse to come.
And sure enough, that was when Antonio came into the picture... And everything began to fall apart.
Kougu found his jaw clenching, and his hands tighten into fists upon hearing what that repulsive beast of a man had done to little Amy. He could easily tell how much Jimmy cared for his sister from the tenderness in his voice when he spoke of her, and Kougu could relate to that. If his sister were still alive, he feared he would honestly go mad with hatred if he found that she had suffered the same fate as Amy.
Kougu found himself grinding his teeth in cold fury as Jimmy went on to speak about Mexico, and how poor Amy had been naught but a possession to this 'Bernado', to do with as he pleased.
Men like that had always disgusted him. He simply couldn't comprehend how anybody could find joy in forcing themselves on a girl; and a child at that!
He felt sick to his stomach as Jimmy's words took him to someplace in his imagination, where a poorly little slip of a girl was locked in the clutches of a monster, swaying to the death throes of a grand piano.
He actually felt faint with the intensity of his loathing.

After a while, Kougu was distracted from Jimmy's story by a surprising revelation; the man beside him was crying. His dark eyes followed the progress of the tears down Jimmy's face, and he found himself feeling suddenly awkward. Jimmy was his enemy, but he was also somehow his friend, and Kougu wanted to comfort him - but he had no idea how to, or what he ought to do... So he just sat there, slightly flustered, until at last he raised the courage to lay a reassuring hand on Jimmy's shoulder.
For a long time he wasn’t quite sure what to say, and though he was painfully aware of the feeling of his hand on Jimmy’s shoulder, he left it there. He couldn’t explain why – it just felt like the right thing to do…
“You know, I had a sister once.” He murmured quietly, even surprising himself with this strange response. At fist he wasn’t sure why he’d said it, but for once, his words dashed ahead of his thoughts.
“I know what it’s like; loving somebody so much that you want nothing more than to protect them… But somehow, in the end, it’s like you end up doing the opposite…” He sighed heavily, and drew his knees up to his chest – then stole his hand back from Jimmy to link his arms around them.
“I know how you must be feeling. I understand, believe me…”
Kougu gnawed silently on his lip as he stared out over the grey rooftops. An owl hooted from somewhere nearby, and as he watched the horizon, he let the silence grow thicker… Until, at last, he spoke again.
“There’s just one thing I don’t quite get.”
Turning his head, Kougu met Jimmy’s gaze defiantly, his dark eyes glinting powerfully in the dim moonlight.
“Why the hell are you here?”

The silence that followed that question was suffocating, and Kougu found himself looking away before he could break it. He seemed… Disappointed.
“She wouldn’t come back with you, so you just ran back home? Is that it? God-“ He uttered a humourless chuckle under his breath, “I don’t even have to say it. You know you’re a coward.”
He stared straight ahead of him, and though he didn’t meet Jimmy’s eyes – the defiance in his own was clearly meant for the man beside him. He held his shoulders with a rare determination, and there was something almost challenging in his stance – as though he dared Jimmy to contradict him.
“You went there to bring her back – then gave up because she wouldn’t go along with you? Listen to it out loud, Jimmy, and tell me that doesn’t sound pathetic. You’re her brother, damn it. If you know what’s best, then do it.” He clenched his jaw, “Even if it means hurting her at first.”
He huffed a sigh, suddenly angry, and stood abruptly, turning to face Jimmy with a hard expression.
“It’s too late for me, but you’re lucky enough to have a second chance. Now stop crying as if she’s dead – because unless you stiffen your spine and do something; next time she might be.”
He held out a hand, raising his chin slightly, and challenging Jimmy to take it.
“We’ll go.” He said quietly, “And we’ll bring her back. At any cost…” His eyes narrowed.
“Are you with me, or must I bring her back myself?”

((Done! Very Happy ))

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:18 pm

((Posted. Smile I think Kougu's taking rather a personal interest in this... XD ))

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:21 pm

You know, I had a sister once.” Kougu said matter-of-factly after a long, awkward silence. The statement surprised Jimmy to such an extent that he actually stopped crying for a moment at the distraction, and looked at Kougu with his eyebrows arched up towards the sky. For some reason he couldn't really imagine Kougu with any sort of family. Obviously he must have had one at some point, but just from watching the guy a few times he had come to the conclusion that Kougu was far too socially retarded to have talked to anyone in a long time. Perhaps he'd suffered some kind of trauma – Hell, people dealt with trauma in their own ways – but even the thought of him having parents was hard to imagine. ((God, he's such a jerk. XD)) But at this new piece of information, when Jimmy caught a look in Kougu's eye he wasn't sure whether he was supposed to have noticed, he could have believed him.
And that was it. Besides Charlie, the two had finally found some common ground.
At this point Jimmy had finally noticed the hand on his shoulder, and he watched it with a funny look on his face, almost squinting in order to see it through his blurry tears. The last time Kougu had touched him, really, was when Kougu had almost tried to kill him. Yet now he was sat there, playing the comforting best friend, even though the two men really couldn't be any more different.
He was a strange sod, Jimmy decided, but he was grateful for the company.
I know what it’s like; loving somebody so much that you want nothing more than to protect them… But somehow, in the end, it’s like you end up doing the opposite…” He nodded in understanding, glad that they were still standing on common ground. At least someone understood him. He admired that of Kougu.
The guy wasn't stupid.
I know how you must be feeling. I understand, believe me…”
Thank God...

Jimmy rolled his head back to stare at the sky, sniffing away his tears. He had to admit, Kougu was no Charlie, but he wasn't expecting Mister Floppy Hair to kiss and hug him to make him feel better ((Shut up, Polo... :suspicious: )) because he wanted closure, not affection, which is why he'd gone to Kougu and not her. Besides... She probably still hated him.

The touch on Jimmy's shoulder lingered for just a second when Kougu's hand retreated, leaving a rather strange sensation on the skin below Jimmy's sleeve. It had been far too long since anyone had tried to comfort him, and he missed it. Perhaps it would have been better if Charlie had been there, but he wasn't sure whether Kougu would be so open if she had been there too, since Kougu seemed to act differently when she was around. So he didn't complain.
There’s just one thing I don’t quite get.
“Shoot.” Jimmy offered light-heartedly, although he was curious to see what the young man would ask.
What Kougu finally said was not what he'd been expecting.
Why the hell are you here?

...The f*ck?

Momentarily distracted from his tears once again, Jimmy scrunched his face into a disbelieving frown and he stared at Kougu, clenching his jaw. The night suddenly seemed conveniently quiet, only adding to his mood, and straight away defensive comments dribbled onto his tongue.
There he was, pouring his heart out to this man, and this was what he got?
Screw it. He should have just let Antonio shoot him at the first chance he got.

She wouldn’t come back with you, so you just ran back home? Is that it? God- … I don’t even have to say it. You know you’re a coward.
Funny... Jimmy had thought he didn't have any anger left in him, but this comment made his blood boil and his fists clench. What did Kougu just call him?
It wasn't that he'd been called a coward. Many people had called him that before enough for him to be numb to the word. What infuriated him was that Kougu was shooting insults at him before he knew all the facts, which wasn't something Jimmy had expected from him. In fact, this made him feel rather disappointed with both Kougu and himself. Perhaps he'd overestimated this moment. Perhaps he should have just kept his mouth shut. What was he thinking? Kougu didn't understand him. No one understood him. Trying to make people was just plain pointless.
You went there to bring her back – then gave up because she wouldn’t go along with you? Listen to it out loud, Jimmy, and tell me that doesn’t sound pathetic. You’re her brother, damn it. If you know what’s best, then do it. Even if it means hurting her at first.
Jimmy shook his head in disbelief. He couldn't quite believe what he was hearing.
“It’s too late for me, but you’re lucky enough to have a second chance. Now stop crying as if she’s dead – because unless you stiffen your spine and do something; next time she might be.
Oh, so Kougu was mocking his tears, now? And here he thought he could actually trust the douchebag.
He looked away at Kougu's figure, towering over him, and rested his brow on his knees. Mostly to get a grip of himself than anything else.
He could hear the young man talking again, but Jimmy had long since lost interest.He didn't care if Kougu saw him as a coward, he could think of him as he wished, but Jimmy refused to let him until he'd heard the full story.
He stood, surprised at how much effort it took, and stared at Kougu's outstretched hand as if it were coated with manure. Instead of shaking it like he guessed he was supposed to, he sighed and shoved past Kougu, bumping his shoulder and walking to the middle of the roof, shoving his hands in his large pockets.
“You say it like I had a choice.” he murmured, then a bitter chuckle dribbled from his lips. His red eyes glistened with tears, old and new, but he'd lost the will to care anymore. “It wasn't something I chose to do, Kougu. I didn't choose to leave her there. And believe me, it has been f*cking killing me knowing that I did what I did. But...” He shook his head again, staring out on to the horizon, his mind far away from that little flat roof they were stood on.
“You're basically saying that I should have gone back there with no weapons, no plan, and run into a house with armed guards and security cameras to get her, even if it could cost us both our lives? I tried that once, mate.” He shook his head again. “I've already told you how that worked out.” He turned back on his heel to point an accusing finger in Kougu's direction, his body hunched and broken, his glassy eyes blaring. “So don't you dare... Don't you dare call me a coward before you know the facts, alright?”
Jimmy's icy blue eyes dropped to his feet, and he kicked away a small pebble miserably. Maybe he was a coward. Hell, it ran in the family, after all.
“I didn't call you up here to judge me, Kougu.” He lifted his head again, still having his back to the younger man. “I called you up here to listen. Now, can you please do that for just a few more minutes?”
He'd reached another side of the roof now, and the minute he reached the barrier he fell to his knees and pulled them up to his chin.
“Alfredo had gone when they found me. F*ck knows where he'd disappeared to, the asshole had his ways of being unseen, but I never thought he'd actually manage to run when we'd literally reached the heart of the lion's den.” He chuckled bitterly and shook his head. “I was stupid to have trusted him so much, though. It was my own fault. But I can add it to my list of things that went wrong that day.”

He looked back up at the horizon, watched it morph into a scorching golden light, and suddenly he wasn't in England anymore. He was far away in a Mexican mansion, surrounded by tall men in white shirts, closed behind light-coloured walls made of thick stone to prevent escape.
Jimmy stood there, panting, sweating, trying to use his body weight against the men holding his arms behind his back, twisting and squirming away from them, trying to use his clothes to loosen their grip. But in a foreign country, in such hot weather and so infuriated, he was weak. He found that out the minute Bernardo Garcia walked into the room.
Bernardo was the sort of man that tried to look fashionable with his clothing, but he didn't look like he gave a rat's arse about his face. He had long, wavy brown hair that was cut sharply at his shoulders, brushed back dramatically and held there with a fine lining of hair gel. He had a faint moustache on his upper lip and the rest of his dry face was coated with dark grey stubble. He looked the best of five years younger than Antonio but his presence was far more terrifying, as he had a sort of swagger Jimmy had only ever associated to complete power. He looked like the sort of man who, if killed, would have 100 men come and torture and kill your entire family, and leave you to live with the grief. The sight of him made Jimmy tremble immediately.
The filthy man wasn't surprised to see him there, which unnerved Jimmy slightly. He hated it when strangers knew who he was, but they didn't have a clue who they were. In fact, by the way Bernardo smiled, you would have thought they were long lost friends.
“Such a racket over such a tiny thing.” Bernardo snarled with surprisingly fluent English, squaring himself in front of Jimmy and looking him up and down. He looked mildly displeased by the new person in the group. Jimmy's securers chuckled.
Jimmy narrowed his eyes.
But instead of saying anymore Bernardo strolled over to the cowering Amelia and snaked his hands around her small, dainty waist, and smelt her thick hair. The sight made Jimmy tense instantly.
“I bought a present for you, darling.” He purred in her ear, and at the sound of his voice Amy smiled, and she cupped her small hands over his.
“Bernardo,” Her voice hinted Spanish, “I've already told you, you don't need to bother yourself buying me gifts. They don't win love on their own.”
“Yeah,” Bernardo grinned, completely unfazed by this. He pressed his cheek against hers and pecked a precious kiss on her upper jaw, which she pretended to enjoy. “But I bet it helps.”
She giggled at this, squeakily, quietly, like he was her little secret, and Jimmy found his chest clench at the sight of them. Amelia had grown into an incredible actor through the years, but it didn't mean her smile made him feel any less furious with himself. She shouldn't have had to be flirting with a man two and a half times her age. She shouldn't have had to be acting like Bernardo's cat, purring when she was petted, throwing away her dignity for the sake of being treated nicely. He felt sick looking at them.
“Something wrong, James?”
That name... He looked up, his lips pulled into a snarl, and watched the smirking Spaniard as he slipped his hand down Amelia's back and beyond, before curving his large fingers around her buttocks, raising an eyebrow.
Jimmy started to struggle.
“You bastard...” He growled, not once taking his raging eyes off Bernardo's, but he could see in the corner of his vision the smile sinking off Amelia's soft face, and she looked away.
A strong strike on the head knocked Jimmy sideways, but the men holding him kept him balanced. He recovered quickly and continued his stance, his eyes so wide they were bulging, and his chest rising and falling quicker by the second.
“It took you long enough to get here.” Bernardo shrugged, then let go of Amy and began pacing before Jimmy, his hands linked behind his back. “I've had my security lowered for weeks now, awaiting your arrival-”
“Wait,you knew I was coming?” Jimmy's brow furrowed.
The Spaniard grinned. “Surprised?”
Silence.
“It was a plan Tony and I had, a back-up plan if things went wrong-”
“Tony's dead.”
“Really, that's nice.” The other man rolled his eyes. “Anyway, we knew this was always going to happen at some point. He told me Amelia had an older brother who had a history of being in gangs. Which, of course, is when he befriended you.”
Jimmy shook his head stubbornly. “He didn't befriend me. I turned him down.” What was this guy's point?
Another mild swipe to the head. He shut up.
“He kept contact with you, no? You thought he had your back.” Bernardo lowered his chin and met Jimmy's gaze with cold, patronising one. “He was really just monitoring you, James. Wondering when you were ready to be betrayed. If you were at the right age...” He chuckled. “I think he was just waiting until you were old enough to get on a plane. Airports have funny rules these days...”
“What's your point?” Jimmy roared, struggling once more against the grip on his arms. He didn't want this. He didn't want to be talked to death. He wanted to be let go, to have his sister back in his arms and on the way home again. He didn't want reminding that he'd already failed.
Raising his eyebrows, Bernardo continued. “Antonio and I made a promise that someday he would send you here to me, but he knew if he told you straight out that he'd brought her here you'd kill him, so he said he'd only tell you the truth when he was ready to accept death, or if he was on the brink of it. Then, news of his death would get to me in advance and I'd be ready for you, because, of course,” He stopped pacing and went back to Amelia, running his hands through her hair. She didn't quite look as accepting to his touch as before. “It is by instinct that a brother would run stupidly into the depths of hell and risk his own life to save his dear sister.”
Nostrils flared, Jimmy struggled once more, harder this time, roaring furiously in Bernardo's direction, and the Spaniard didn't even flinch.
“Is this all sport to you?!” Jimmy screamed. “Do you ruin everyone's families for fun? Who the f*ck do you think y- Argh!”
His knees buckled as the fist that had appeared at his stomach retreated back to it's owner, one of the men beside him. Sweating, Jimmy staggered to keep his feet and raised his head, face scrunched into a wince, and he glared at the older man with raging hatred.
Bernardo chuckled cruelly, and yanked Amelia towards him with such force she had to hold onto his arm to balance herself. “Are you finished?”
Jimmy clenched his jaw, revealing some of his teeth, which caused the pants to come out more hissed than before.
“When was the last time you saw your father, James?” The man asked coolly. “When was the last time you talked? Do you know where he is now? What he's doing? When was the last time he sent you a birthday card?”
Eyes widening, Jimmy shook his head slightly, confusion and fear rising up in harsh lumps in his chest. What had that man got to do with any of this? He couldn't be-
“You look surprised that I brought him up.” The Spaniard smirked. “Well, let me explain it to you. You see, your father owed me and Antonio a lot of money, and I mean, a lot. I don't know what he used it for, but it was enough to mean he couldn't pay me back. And instead of trying to pay me back another way, or even trying to find enough to pay me monthly, he ran. In fact, to elaborate, he went into victim protection. Changed his surname, his home... In fact, he changes location often. However, the coward didn't change his email address, so we've been able to track him through that.”
Jimmy looked distraught. His mother had never told him any of this.
“Now, I have a reputation to keep. I don't leave anyone off the hook when it comes to money. Especially when it was that much money. Two hundred and fifty thousand euros, to be exact. That would be around,” Bernardo paused for thought, “Around two hundred thousand pounds, I think.”
Jimmy's eyes looked like they were about to pop out of his skull. How many?!
Pleased at Jimmy's reaction, the Spaniard continued. “So, to show him how serious we were, we've been showing him exactly what's been happening to his daughter whilst he's been away.”
He said something to one of the men, who disappeared from the room for a few moments, then reappeared with a video camera, a mean smile on his face, then handed it to Bernardo, who shot Jimmy a dark look.
“Through the internet, and using different sources every time, we've been able to send him videos of Amy monthly, and every time, your English police try to track us. And every time, they fail. However, the last two times we sent the videos off we haven't had a response from him. So, since he's been ignoring us, I had Antonio tell you about Amelia and to come here. So now, we have you.”
Face sheet white, Jimmy's eyes flashed harshly to Amelia, who was looking insanely guilty. “You knew about this?” He growled, his voice cracking slightly.
“I told you to go...” She whispered pathetically, but when loud, ugly laughter broke the silence the two flinched away.
“This... This is too cute.” Bernardo chuckled. “But the day is old, and there is much to do. I have plenty of videos of My Darling.” He shot her a meaningful wink, his eyes shifting below her chin to her chest, a dark smirk on his lips. “However,” He said, looking up at Jimmy, who tensed at the sudden eye contact. “We have none of The Macintosh, here!”
“You're going to video me in bed?” Jimmy snarled, his eyes narrowing slightly, only half joking.
Pulling a face, Bernardo shook his head. “Come on, my boy, I'm not that sort of man.” He winked. “Although, I will enjoy watching your video later on.” He turned to the other men. “Take him to the vault. I'll meet you there.”
The Vault.
Dungeon.
Cellar.
Torture chamber.
Jimmy could already guess where this was going to go. His eyes dropped suddenly, and he felt his limbs go weak. He'd taken blows before, he knew what it was like to be tormented, yes. But he feared he wouldn't just be beaten this time. He'd be made to regret ever having been born.
When they finally dragged him away, his feet had gone limp and he could hear nothing but his heartbeat and the soft, desperate whimper of his sister behind him as she watched him leave.

((Just imagine he told Kougu all that, but in less detail. I saved you an entire speech to quote. XD))

Jimmy blinked, and suddenly he was in the present day again, staring over the grey horizon as the moon began to lift into the sky.
“D'you know what it's like to be beaten to your limits, Kougu?” He asked flatly, resuming his previous position with his elbows resting on his knees. He looked up at the sky with an age to his eye, a certain pain there that he should never have had to suffer. But also, he looked broken with guilt and hatred. His sister had suffered the most, yes, but they had all suffered too much, Jimmy and his Mother too. But it wasn't because of Jimmy that it had happened. That had just been a bonus of telling him about his sister. Of course Antonio wouldn't have let Jimmy believe he'd won, even if he obviously had. He wanted him to be ripping his hair out, blind by desperation, to make sure he didn't feel content even with Antonio dead.
“You ever been so far gone that you lose control of your body, and you end up as nothing but a numb sack of potatoes, unable to protect yourself from fists and boots digging into your body? D'you realise how scary it is?”
It wasn't a question.
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Jimmy curled up into an even tighter ball, a shaky breath hissing through his teeth. The memories of that night still haunted him. Not only the pain, but the way Bernardo knew exactly how to mess with his head, until even when he didn't have the energy to fight physically, he'd already given up in his head, also. It was a draining feeling, the way he'd already accepted death at that point, even though he hadn't accomplished his goal. He'd never completely given up before – granted, he'd been close a few times – but he knew he was already a failure, and there was nothing he could do to change that.

He remembered the sickening dread that took over him when he stood in that room – the 'vault', as Bernardo called it – an arm held by each guard, facing the door. He must have waited for at least twenty minutes for Bernardo to find him, but those twenty minutes ate away at him like an army of tiny parasites gnawing at him from the inside out. For the first time since he'd set foot in that mansion, he felt genuinely terrified for what was to come. Not for Amelia, but for himself.
By the time the man paraded through the door, Jimmy was trembling.
“I brought some moral support for you, James.” He sneered, yanking Amelia in by her arm, He then pulled a mess of black material from his back pocket and tossed it to the men securing Jimmy. They both let go, but he didn't bother trying to escape. He was frozen to the spot like a cornered doe, fists clenched by his sides in attempt to contain the fear.
Bernardo kept some black material for himself, and slipped it over his head. Jimmy gasped.
Balaclavas.
This shit just got real...
He hadn't been hit yet and he was already wincing. His knees began to shake.
“Right then.” Bernardo turned on the video camera. “Let's have some fun, shall we?”
Then the first blow came.

Hours passed – or was it days? - until he had given up fighting, and lay in a crumpled mess in the middle of the floor, panting. Faceless figures towered over him, waiting for him to try and move, but his body had been turned to lead. He was nothing more than a lump of meat, too tattered to be sold, and left to rot in the back room where no one would find it. His roaring ears could make out a soft crying sound in the background – probably Amy – but it was nothing to him. She'd not once tried to stop them from half-killing him, she'd just stood and watched without a word as his spirit was beaten out of him.
She knew this would happen. But she hadn't told him. Fat lot of good all that was now.
“Is he dead?” One of the figures asked stupidly, and Jimmy just thought, I wish. How many bones had he broken? A couple of ribs at least. Maybe his nose. His face was definitely bleeding, anyway. There was probably some internal damage around his stomach, too.
He felt someone poke his side harshly with the tip of an expensive Italian shoe and he groaned, too weak to react any other way.
“No, he's very much alive.” Bernardo sounded pleased. He knelt down by Jimmy's head and poked the camera lens invasively at his bruised, bleeding face.
“All hope lost?” He mocked.
Jimmy blinked slowly. He had nothing left to say.
Rolling his eyes, Bernardo stood up, his face now far too high for Jimmy to see, and he pulled something from out of his belt. “How boring...” He mused. “I expected you to be a bit more fun, James. But...” He shrugged. “Oh well. I still have Amelia.”
Jimmy tried to roll his eyes towards his cowering sister, but she was too far from his field of vision and he didn't have the strength to lift his head to look. A dull ache throbbed in the back of his throat at the fact that after all this he'll have made no positive difference to her life whatsoever, and she'd go back to sleeping with a man three times her age for the sake of time alone, and she'd put on that charming face just so that he'd be nice to her.
Jimmy's stomach gurgled, but not in a good way. He swallowed the lump of bile in the back of his throat.
Just then, something cold and pointed dug into his cheek. He winced slightly, but his eyes met it with grim acceptance.
A pistol.
“Get up.” Bernardo ordered harshly.
What?
Was he serious?
The man cocked the gun. Jimmy contemplated it.
“Get up!”
Swallowing again, with mechanical instinct he tried to obey the man who'd tormented his sister for seven years. He found his hands beneath his chest and tried, shakily, to push his body upwards. His stomach throbbed, his head overpowered him with red vision and ringing ears, but he tried his utmost best to stand.
With a pained cry, his arms buckled and he fell back onto his stomach.
“I... I can't...” He whispered.
A boot stabbed into one of his broken ribs. He yelped.
“Get. Up.” The gun poked his cheek again.
Jimmy took a long breath and closed his eyes. If he was going to die, he was going to do it standing.
Okay...
With a grim nod, he pushed himself up onto all fours and, curling a knee beneath his stomach, began pushing himself to his feet.
Bernardo waited patiently for him to stand, his thin lips playing a cruel smirk, and he kept the gun trained on Jimmy's head.
Once the younger man had found his feet, he stood, hunched over and trembling with the effort, and dragged his eyes upwards to the barrel of the gun.
This is it...
He slid his eyes gently closed, inhaled a hissy breath and waited for it all to go black.
“No! Bernardo, please... I beg of you...”
His eyes shot open. Amelia?
But yes, there she was. On her knees, grovelling to Bernardo. Tears streamed down her face and her eyes were wide, pleading. It was a sight Jimmy never thought he'd have to see.
His sister, on her knees, begging for his life.
Stop it... He wanted to say. Amelia, just find you dignity. Don't let him take that from you...
“Por favor... I swear I'll never run away again. Just... Please...” She took a hold of one of his trouser legs. “Don't kill him.”
Jimmy's brow creased. Run away? Idiot... Of course she'd tried to run away. His Amy would never give in, even to a bastard like Bernardo, so easily.
Sighing, he looked down at his filthy shoes. As if he could have made it worse for her, now she even had to get down and beg for him.
He wished she hadn't.
Bernardo glanced down at her seriously, almost curling his lip in distaste. Then, as if this had brought on even more of his confidence, he looked down at Jimmy with a smirk.
“Oh, Richard...” He told the camera, zooming in towards Jimmy again. “Look at that poor little face.” Pouting mockingly, he turned the camera on Amelia and smirked at the sight of her, too.
“I guess it's true that cowardice runs in the family.”
He pointed it back to Jimmy. “But I was much looking forward to killing you. Hell, I'm sure your 'mammy' would love to see that.”
Jimmy shook his head slightly. His mother had been through enough already, she wouldn't want to see this.
A sudden urge to cry fell over him. He'd not even told her he was going to Mexico.
“But I suppose... My Dear has a point. Killing you would stop the pain, no?” Bernardo was grinning at him. “And why would I want to do that?”
No... Jimmy begged silently. No...!
“Well that is the end of our video, I hope Señor and Señora Mackintosh have enjoyed the show. Adiós amigos!” And he snapped the video camera shut, then ripped the balaclava off his head, and adjusting his hair. After making a faint complaint about how warm it was under there, he turned back to Jimmy, looking rather proud of himself.
“W-” The younger man spluttered out a rasping cough. “What're y-you planning?”
“Oh, that would be telling.” Bernardo winked. “Bring him.”

Before Jimmy was dragged out of the room he shot Amelia a look, one almost too unreadable for anyone else to see through his black eye and bloody mouth. But the emotions were all there.
Love... Anger... Despair... But most of all, apology. The deepest apology no words could describe.
I did this to you. This happened because of me... I will get you out. Next time...
Pretending she hadn't seen him, she looked away and began following Bernardo like a lost lamb, quietly wiping away her tears when he wasn't looking.

“What is this?” Jimmy croaked as he was forced in the front seat of the rusty car, staring at the driver's wheel in front of him. What was Bernardo thinking? In his former state he couldn't walk, let alone drive.
“This,” Bernardo leant in through the window, inspecting the non-existent seats and the gear stick burnt to lumps fro hundred of cigarette burns. “Is the crappiest car I own.” He pulled a face as he pulled away and saw the orange stains on his hands.
Saying the car had seen better days was a horrible understatement. It had no bonnet, no colour to the outer metal, and one of the front headlights were missing. It was the sort of vehicle that people used to blow up for fun.
He regarded this with a grim frown.
“And I'm giving it to you.”
“You shouldn't have.” He snarled. “Why?”
“I'm giving you a chance to leave.” Bernardo explained, absentmindedly trying to get rid of the rust stains on his hands. “The last thing I want is a stupid little thing like you stalking my property.”
Leave? “This shithole wouldn't make it ten miles.”
“And the Airport is one hundred and fifteen away.” The older man raised a teasing eyebrow. “Tricky.” He smirked. “I'll have two cars follow you to make sure you're not just going to go around the corner and bother me again.”
Jimmy stared at the gates ahead. “How do I know they won't just kill me when I leave the perimeter?”
“Why would they do that?” Bernardo snarled, then lowered his head to Jimmy's ear, lowering his voice. The hot breath by his neck caused him to tremble again. “I want you to live, knowing that you've done nothing for Amelia but make her life more miserable. I want you to live tonight and know that far away, I'll be having her accompany me in bed, and she will do everything I tell her because she knows her cowardly brother isn't coming back to save her anymore, and maybe, just maybe, I might invite some of mis amigos to join me.” His smile darkened.
Jimmy clutched the rusty steering wheel so hard he thought it might break. Shut up... He begged. Just shut up...
“Oh, and don't bother going to the police about this. I have friends in the Mexican forces that will make sure all charges are erased and forgotten. So don't waste our time.” He studied his nails for a moment, then turned to leave. However, he wasn't going to let the younger man escape without a memorial last word.
“She called for you, Jimmy. The first night she came here she called for you.” Bernardo straightened up and shot him, perhaps for the first time, a serious look. “But you didn't come.”
With that, they opened the gates and the broken little car chuntled at a surprising speed out into the night.

((Cue addictive swaying music: http://www.repeatmyvids.com/watch?v=8zPdCGt-qNU&kmdom=youtube ^_^ ))

Jimmy was right to not believe in the car. It barely lasted him five miles. But the sleek, black BMWs that were chasing him into the desert seemed extremely determined to make him crash. He had to fight to keep from spinning away from them into dead trees or cactii.
He was in as much pain as he could possibly be, and his trembling hands struggled to keep hold of the steering wheel.
She called for me. ME. Not mum, or Dad, but me. And I didn't come...
His rasping breath began to choke him as tears threatened to spill down his cheeks.
I'm sorry, Amy. I'm so, so sorry...
His vision blurred so much he nearly hit a tree without the aid of the BMWs beside him. He swerved away sharply, causing the car to swing onto two wheels for a second, and sped across the muddy sand.
The black cars bullied and taunted him right up until the fuel dribbled out of his exhaust pipe and the pile of scrap rolled to a halt. Jimmy didn't even bother to see whether the black cars had gone before he got out.
The land around him was alien; there were no buildings in sight, no sign of human life, nothing but dead plants, dirt and dry mountains surrounding him. Bernardo said the airport was one hundred and fifteen miles away, but with so many directions to take Jimmy had no idea where to go. Hell, he couldn't even see the mansion and the settlement around that anymore.
He was completely and utterly lost.
So, with nothing left but the clothes on his back, he started to limp aimlessly from tree to tree, stopping for a breath, and coughing until he threw up.

Back on the rooftop his throat was heavy with the memory of it all, the emotional beating he'd taken as well as the physical, and remembering the moment when he'd stopped wanting to go forward.
He rubbed his dry face, grateful for the lack of sunlight in the darkening town, and shuddered in the cold, English breeze.
“I don't remember passing out,” he croaked, letting out a long sigh. “But then again, do you ever? It was a little boy who found me, couldn't have been older than ten or eleven, and he had a donkey with him. He also had one of those little catapult things for hunting small animals.” He made a strange shape in his hands. “What d'you call them? The ones you put stones in...” He shrugged, “Anyway, I was pretty out of it – a mix of weakness and sunstroke, I guess – so the clever bastard managed to get me on his donkey and take me a couple of miles down to a river. He talked the whole time, I didn't have a bloody clue what he was saying, but turns out there was a couple of little shack things by the river. A woman, I'm guessing his mum, was there, and she looked after me.”
He chuckled, slightly bitterly. “Lucky, ain't I? Every time I think I'll die, or want to, someone always saves my ass.” He shook his head in faint amusement. “I think someone upstairs,” he pointed briefly to the sky, “really doesn't seem to want to get rid of me.”
Sighing, he ran a hand through his hair and yanked his hood back up over his ears. “So... These people looked after me for about a week, I think. Bandaged me up, fed me, talked some Spanish crap to me, then let me on my way. I don't remember how I got to the airport after that, it's all really a blur now... But there was a town in the valley of the mountains which was quite a popular taurist spot, so I could use that to find my way there.
I was a mess by the time I got there, though. I'm surprised they let me on the plane. But I had my return ticket, and I knew I needed time to recover and think things through before I went back there again.”
Biting his lip he frowned at the horizon. “Once I got to England I hitched a few rides, stole a few pounds for taxi fares and... Well, here I am.” He shrugged. “I didn't run away, Kougu. Like I said, I didn't have a choice. But I want to go back, just... With someone who I know I can trust.”
With that he stood up and brushed off the moss and muck from his jeans. To be honest, telling such an emotional story to a man like Kougu had been draining – it had been a long time since he'd shown his feelings to anyone – but he knew that, at least with Kougu, that the man knew exactly what to do, and he showed a strange vibe that made Jimmy believe the younger man could do pretty much anything.
“Now,” He said, sounding much more relieved and confident now the weight had come off his shoulders. “I'm going to ask you, and I want a straight answer.”
He held out his hand, offering Kougu to shake it.
“Are you with me, or not?”

Please Kougu, don't turn me down now. Not after everything I've told you... Please...

((*dies*... Well, that sucked. :3))
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:44 am

Kougu didn’t look Jimmy in the eye, but though he feigned disinterest, his gaze was trained on the man’s rugged face. He saw the shock in Jimmy’s expression from his own harsh accusations – and then he held his breath a moment as he waited to see what Jimmy would make of it.
Just how broken was this man? Would he just take it lying down, or would he-
“You say it like I had a choice.” Jimmy muttered, and the defeated bitterness in his voice made Kougu’s spirits fall. He met Jimmy’s eyes then, and in them he saw nothing of any worth to him. Again, his respect for the man took a hit – and Kougu felt his faith beginning to slip like water through parted fingers.
“It wasn't something I chose to do, Kougu. I didn't choose to leave her there…”
Jimmy went on, but Kougu had turned his head away. Excuses did not interest him. Failure was failure – it didn’t matter how or why. Perhaps that was a cruel outlook to have, but life had been cruel to him and in matters such as this, harshness was all he had.

The more Jimmy spewed out excuses, the more Kougu lost interest, and soon he could not even look the man in the eye. He seemed bored by him – bored by his troubles, and his attitude toward them. It was difficult for him, after living his solitary life, to contemplate somebody in a similar situation to him acting in a totally different way.
Had it been him, he would have succeeded or died trying. It never occurred to him that, just maybe, neither option might have been possible for Jimmy. It never occurred to him that, just maybe, there was something that lay between success and failure; something called a second chance.
In a world of black and white, Kougu simply did not see the grey.

He was about to turn his back on Jimmy – not of course to abandon his poor sister, but rather to take action himself – when he heard a change in the man’s previously whining voice. Kougu froze, and looked back, casting Jimmy a glance with his last shard of hope for the broken man before him.
He saw a finger jabbed accusingly at him, held like a gun, and Kougu slowly raised an eyebrow, barely managing to hide the smile threatening to quirk his lips.
“So don't you dare... Don't you dare call me a coward before you know the facts, alright?”
Jimmy’s anger his Kougu like a cool breeze, and he basked in it – the man’s sudden indignation fuelling his desire to help.
This time, he could not quite hide his smile. This was what he had wanted to see. This was what he had been testing for. Jimmy had not given up – he still had his pride. He could still stand up and fight!
That was all that Kougu needed to see. His faith in Jimmy completely re-instated, he knew that he would stand by the man in his quest right until Amelia was there to take his place.

“I didn't call you up here to judge me, Kougu.” Jimmy stated harshly, and Kougu delighted in the defiance of his stance. “I called you up here to listen. Now, can you please do that for just a few more minutes?”
Hiding his smirk, Kougu nodded mutely, and resigned himself to hear Jimmy’s story.

This time, he allowed himself to feel no empathy. Walls up once again, he was preparing himself for the mission ahead of him – and everything Jimmy told him was absorbed as either information, or fuel for his angry defiance.
Perhaps if he had allowed himself to reflect on the horrors Jimmy had endured, Kougu would have crumpled right there from the pain of the empathy, but instead he distanced himself, and remained strong throughout the telling of the tale.
Even then, he had to admit, there were moments when his emotions rose up to stab painfully at him.
He could feel poor Jimmy’s despair; feel the pain of the beating… He, too, had suffered similarly in his childhood more times than he cared to count. When he heard Jimmy retell what he remembered of his own suffering, Kougu was forced to bite back his emotions all over again, and he suppressed a shudder at the thought.
One thing he could not relate to was how it must have felt for Jimmy to see that filthy man taking advantage of his poor, defenceless sister in such a crude and repulsive fashion. He wasn’t sure he could ever have dealt with something like that.
Hell, even seeing Jimmy push his company on Charlie that one time so many months ago had sickened him to the bone.
Again he felt himself flooding with sympathy for Jimmy’s sufferings, but again Kougu pushed it down. It would do nobody any good at this stage.

Listening to Jimmy’s suffering was painful, but Kougu accepted it quietly, with all the qualities of the good listener he had somehow become. Then, at last, Jimmy finished talking.
“I didn't run away, Kougu. Like I said, I didn't have a choice. But I want to go back, just... With someone who I know I can trust.”
At this, Kougu raised an eyebrow in a questioning fashion, watching Jimmy with caution. If Jimmy did not want his help, then why had he been called to this rooftop in the first place?
Unless, though it seemed inconceivable to Kougu, when Jimmy said ‘Somebody I can trust’, he was referring to him…
“Now, I'm going to ask you, and I want a straight answer.”
The confidence in Jimmy’s voice made Kougu raise his eyebrows further, pleasantly surprised by the amount of fight still left in such a broken man.
“Are you with me, or not?”
“Am I…?” Kougu repeated, frowning in confusion at Jimmy’s hand as he struggled to process such a straightforward question.
Then the obvious link hit him; Jimmy had been referring to him after all.
Well, that simplified matters.
“I already said I was with you.” Kougu shrugged, pushing the man’s hand away “I suppose you were too busy snapping at me to notice.”
He offered a subtle smile, and approached Jimmy – his own stance reflecting the older man’s confidence like a mirror. “If you want my help,” He went on, pausing when he reached Jimmy, “I’m in. But don’t misunderstand…” he murmured with a hint of a smirk, “You can’t trust me.”

There was a pause, and silence as Kougu allowed Jimmy time for this statement to sink in. Then, with deep blue eyes flicking toward the horizon, he began his explanation. “I won’t tell you my life’s story, but know this: working with me will always be a risk. I like you, Jimmy. I’d love to promise that I would never turn on you, but sadly that’s a luxury I just don’t have.” He turned back to Jimmy, meeting his eyes with a slightly bitter smile, but a smile nonetheless. It was strange how he was able to do that now; smile… In fact, it was altogether strange how much easier he was finding it to be around people, to interact with them… He supposed he had Charlie to thank for that.
Casting his thoughts aside, Kougu paused a moment – then continued his speech.
“I could turn on you at any moment. Don’t ask me to explain that, because I won’t. Just know that, even with the best of intentions, I could well kill you. If you want my help, you’ll need to understand that. More importantly, you’ll have to listen to me. If I say run, you run for your bloody life. If I say shoot me, you shoot to kill. But…” He chuckled under his breath, “Let’s hope it won’t come to that. Charlie would not be amused.”
He paused a moment, then took on a serious tone once again.
“If I commit myself to this mission, I can promise you that I will not rest until I succeed. I will succeed. I always have, otherwise I’d be dead. Seems there’s someone who doesn’t want me waltzing off this planet just yet either.”
He smiled again as he referenced Jimmy’s earlier comment, and this time his smile was clear – and he held it confidently as he took Jimmy’s hand, finally accepting the offer to shake that he’d turned down earlier. ((Shake HANDS, Dreameh. Hands. ))
“I’m with you.” He answered at last, sounding rather unlike himself with the confidence in his voice, “If you’re up for the gamble.”

It was strange… He should have felt despondent, grim or miserable – he should have loathed the idea of taking on a mission that was not even his own beside a man with whom he’d shared a mutual hared since day one. He should have been uncertain and insecure in Jimmy’s presence, just the way he’d always been… But he wasn’t.
He felt confident, and his sheer determination to succeed made him eager to proceed with the mission. But strangest of all was the fact that he did not find the prospect of working with Jimmy the least bit daunting.
Somehow, and he couldn’t even begin to understand how, Jimmy had become his friend.
His father had been right after all. He was too soft… He loved too easily, trusted too easily, forgave too easily… And now he was excited to work with a man who, despite everything that had happened between them, Kougu still respected deeply for reasons he couldn’t quite explain.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:42 am

For one horrible, sickening moment, Jimmy actually thought Kougu was going to turn him down. After all that he'd been through, everything he'd just told the younger man, was he seriously going to say no just because Jimmy had wanted to say a bit more before he offered the man's hand?
Swallowing the lump in his throat – not from the situation he was in but from the painful flashbacks he had just reminded himself of – he tried to hold his ground. But it was difficult when he was so beaten already and the shadows below his eyes showed evident signs of far too many sleepless nights, that trying to look tough and strong was no longer possible in the state he was in. But there was something still there, shining in his eyes. Something he'd lost for a long while, but being around and talking to Kougu seemed have brought it back, stronger than ever before.
The will to fight for his family.
He'd messed up Amelia's life, taken it out on Charlie, and caused the deaths of two of his best friends. That was all his fault.
He couldn't bring back Jordan and Mike. He couldn't bring back the home he'd burnt down, Charlie's home. But he would save Amelia from her years of suffering if it was the last damned thing he ever did!

I already said I was with you. I suppose you were too busy snapping at me to notice.
Jimmy looked down at the hand he'd offered to Kougu, now pushed back to his side. What was that supposed to mean? Why wasn't Kougu accepting his hand?
“Sorry.” He mumbled, blushing slightly. Perhaps he had acted slightly touchy, but he had good reason. After spending a month and a half in Hell, he wasn't exactly going to be in the best state for jokes, was he?
If you want my help, I’m in. But don’t misunderstand…You can’t trust me.” Jimmy frowned at the younger man's sudden smirk, baffled by how alien it looked on such a usually emotionless face. It was amazing how the tiniest motion of the lips could lighten up his entire face, even make his dark eyes twinkle behind his long, raven hair. A mop-head, Jimmy used to call him. He didn't usually like mop-heads. But Kougu was different. Bloody Hell, was he different.
Curious, Jimmy studied his face. Wondering what riddles he was going to spout out this time.
I won’t tell you my life’s story, but know this: working with me will always be a risk. I like you, Jimmy. I’d love to promise that I would never turn on you, but sadly that’s a luxury I just don’t have. I could turn on you at any moment. Don’t ask me to explain that, because I won’t. Just know that, even with the best of intentions, I could well kill you. If you want my help, you’ll need to understand that. More importantly, you’ll have to listen to me. If I say run, you run for your bloody life. If I say shoot me, you shoot to kill. But… Let’s hope it won’t come to that. Charlie would not be amused.” Kougu chuckled.
Jimmy didn't mirror it. The mention of Charlie brought back countless regrets, from the way he treated her from the beginning to the pique of setting her house on fire. Sure, he hadn't meant to do it, he was just too arrogant to admit he'd made a mistake. Now, however, he knew fair well the mess he'd caused her. She probably hated him. If she didn't, well, then she was stupid. He didn't deserve her forgiveness. He'd done too much to be forgiven for his actions, now. No all he could do was right the wrongs that could still be righted. Amelia was his purpose. He had to protect her from the evils of the world, if it meant blowing their filthy brains out.
And what Kougu had said earlier, about turning on him, he'd known all that already. It surprised him slightly that Kougu had been so open about it, but the information itself was not news to him.
“I know.” He mused, raising his eyebrows slightly, almost smirking. “I've witnessed it first-hand, remember?”
It was true. How many times had he seen Kougu turn into... Whatever the Hell he turned into? His other personality? The last one was at the gallery, he remembered. It had taken Anthony and a ripped open stomach to take the idiot down. Whatever happened to him, he certainly wasn't Kougu when he was like that.
Not only that, but he knew some serious combat moves. Far more amazing than those in the movies.
Jimmy made a mental note to ask Kougu to teach him a couple of those at some point, he could do with some one-to-one combat training.

If I commit myself to this mission, I can promise you that I will not rest until I succeed. I will succeed. I always have, otherwise I’d be dead. Seems there’s someone who doesn’t want me waltzing off this planet just yet either.
Jimmy smiled at this. Hell, he and Kougu were more alike than he'd first thought. To say they were supposed to hate each other, they weren't all that different at all.
He was glad when Kougu finally took his hand and he shook it firmly. They were in after all.
I'm with you.” Kougu confirmed. “If you're up for the gamble.
Was he ever!
“Oh, I'm up for it, alright.” He winked, his light blue eyes shining slightly. His face still hurt when he smiled so he avoided grinning, but at least his black eye was now gone, and they could do what they liked.
“Thanks, mate. After all this is over,” he began backing away, shoving his scarred hands in his pockets, “I'll pay you back. Whatever you want. I owe you.” He winked. ((Shut up, Polo. -_-))
He turned back to the horizon and inhaled a long, bitter breath. The icy cold breeze burned inside the bridge of his nose, but he welcomed it. A lot of weight had left his shoulders when he released his story to Kougu, and just the fact Kougu had listened was enough to make him feel better. Jimmy was a hated man in the small town because of his behaviour as a teenager, even his own Mother didn't want to talk to him anymore.
His mates all hated him. He deserved it all. Even the loss of his house, no he knew what Charlie had felt like.

But he was ready to start again. He would go back to Mexico and face the horrors again, he would save his sister if it was the last thing he did and he would succeed with Kougu beside him.
He exhaled the breath and watched it turn to mist before his eyes. He'd save her. He'd be the brother he should have always been. He will protect her again.

Jerking his head to guide Kougu to the metal ladder he'd used to get up there in the first place, he wandered towards it and slid down, not much caring for his dry hands anymore. When he arrived on the lower platform he went down the rusty, metal stairs for two floors, then jumped down the final height, rolling to break the fall. It hurt his shoulder and bruised stomach, and he knew he was being far too careless with his broken body, but he didn't care. All he wanted was to get to Mexico and get his sister back to safety.
He waited for Kougu to arrive by his side and they started walking down the road, back to Kougu's house.
“The airport’s about two hours' drive away, as far as I know.” He mused, frowning. “I know it's late, but I'd really like to be there to catch the next plane as soon as, if that's okay. “ He turned to Kougu and frowned, noticing that he, too, looked ready to collapse on a bed and sleep. Poor guy, he'd probably only really woken up from his coma in the last week or so. It wouldn't have surprised if he'd even woken up that day, and was already up and saving lives. That was Kougu, alright.
“We'd have to hire a car, but if you want to sleep on the way then that's fine. I don't have any stuff left, or with me, so would it be okay if I could maybe borrow a change of clothes? I mean, I'd ask for a gun – since we'd need one – but that wouldn't get through security, would it?” He sighed and shivered with the cold, kicking a stone with his foot.
“Sorry, I haven't thought this through enough. I didn't really plan how we'd get there, just that we would and we'd come back with her. Um...” He scratched his head awkwardly as they arrived on Kougu's street, and he began to considerably slow his pace, seemingly not wanting to arrive there too soon. Really it wasn't the house itself he was avoiding, it was Charlie. He didn't want her asking questions and finding out about Amelia. He didn't want her sympathy, he wanted her to hate him.
“If... If it's okay with you, ugh-.” He pulled a face. “Could I just meet you out here by the telephone post in, say, an hour? You pack a bag, get some food and sh*t and I'll... Um... Wait here.”
He was making it blatantly obvious that he didn't want to enter the house, but instead of acting stubborn about it he looked more nervous than anything else. Was it what they were about to do, or just the effort of avoiding Charlie, or telling himself he didn't want to go into the warmth and risk seeing her and instead stand outside and freeze?
He didn't know, but he knew he didn't deserve her kindness. So he stopped at the lamp post outside the neighbouring house and turned his back, leaning back against the cold metal. Avoidance was key. He only needed Kougu.
Just don't turn around...
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:31 am

“Oh, I'm up for it, alright.” Jimmy answered eagerly, and upon seeing his entire face light up, Kougu nearly pitied him. He never thought he’d see the day when Jimmy would come grovelling to him for help. He truly was desperate… All the same, the fact that he was willing to accept help – in Kougu’s eyes – showed great personal growth and though it sounded strange even in his head, Kougu had to say that he was proud of Jimmy. When they first met, Jimmy had been a pathetic shadow of a man, no better than a piece of trodden-down gum stuck to the sidewalk. Now, however, he was making something of himself.
Suffering seemed to do that to a person, he realised grimly. It had a way of forcing a boy to be a man, even long before he was ready. It had a way of teaching accountability, and in turn, repentance.
Though he didn’t say it, Kougu could tell that Jimmy regretted his wrongdoing, and he for one was well ready to forgive the man just from the look on his face at that moment.
It took him a while to register his drifting thoughts, but once he’d set them back on the right track, he arranged his features into a kindly half-smile, trying hard not to look sympathetic for the sudden bright hopefulness in Jimmy’s expression. It reminded him of how he used to be, long ago. Ironic, really, given that Jimmy had to be at least three years older than him.
Apparently oblivious to Kougu’s distraction, Jimmy just went on speaking.
“Thanks, mate. After all this is over, I'll pay you back. Whatever you want. I owe you.”
Chuckling under his breath, Kougu smiled bitterly and, keeping this private joke to himself, replied simply, “Thanks.”
Naturally, he would not take Jimmy up on that. Unless he could somehow turn back time, there wasn’t really much he could do for Kougu. There wasn’t much anybody could do. Well, except Charlie – but his deprived and childlike mind still perceived her as something of a goddess.

He saw Jimmy turn away, and followed the man with an unconcerned shrug. He would be following Jimmy for a while now – so he might as well get used to it.
Thus, he followed amiably as Jimmy slid down the ladder, though he exercised more caution, and stepped off the last flight of stairs onto the ground a fair deal after Jimmy, yet with a dignified fashion. He honestly didn’t trust his body all that much yet – he still felt rather weak.
“The airport’s about two hours' drive away, as far as I know.” Jimmy said, opening conversation again as they began walking in the direction Kougu assumed would lead to his house. Neither his sense of direction nor his short term memory and attention to detail had ever been good, so he just went along with Jimmy and hoped for the best. “I know it's late, but I'd really like to be there to catch the next plane as soon as, if that's okay. We'd have to hire a car, but if you want to sleep on the way then that's fine.”
Kougu shook his head mutely. Of course he wouldn’t sleep in a car beside a man who, until recently, had been his enemy. He didn’t even like to sleep in his own bed….
”I don't have any stuff left, or with me, so would it be okay if I could maybe borrow a change of clothes? I mean, I'd ask for a gun – since we'd need one – but that wouldn't get through security, would it?”
“Sure.” Kougu muttered quietly, not bothering to say much, since he was pretty sure Jimmy wasn’t done talking.
“Sorry, I haven't thought this through enough. I didn't really plan how we'd get there, just that we would and we'd come back with her. Um...”
At this, Kougu actually chuckled to himself, and glanced to Jimmy with an amused expression. “You really don’t think much, do you?” He observed, though it was clearly not intended as an insult. “I can’t even hold a conversation without analysing every word.” He sighed wearily, and added in a most uncharacteristic self-pitying fashion, “It hurts my head.” He frowned, rubbing his head absentmindedly – then shrugged it off, a little alarmed by his casual, conversational attitude. He ought not feel so at ease around Jimmy, but there was just something so… Simple about him. It made Kougu want to act like a normal human being for once, and somehow, it showed him how, too.

A moment later they arrived outside Kougu’s house, and Jimmy added awkwardly, “If... If it's okay with you, ugh-. Could I just meet you out here by the telephone post in, say, an hour? You pack a bag, get some food and sh*t and I'll... Um... Wait here.”
Kougu stopped beside him and considered him for a moment, then nodded mutely. He understood Jimmy’s sentiments, and he didn’t say a word to mock them. Instead, he simply shrugged off his hoodie and tossed it to Jimmy.
“It’s cold.” He said simply, “I should be back in about 43 minutes.”
It occurred to him briefly that social customs might render his accuracy moot, and Jimmy would probably think him strange – but he realised that he didn’t much care, so he shrugged and turned away, heading into the house alone.

He stumbled wearily in through the door, and with a heavy sigh, slapped his keys down on the bookshelf.
Before he began gathering the needed supplies – because that certainly would not take him long – Kougu dragged his feet to the living room to explain the circumstances to Charlie. He found her sitting on the couch, and greeted her with a tired smile and an awkward little wave.
“Hi.” He mumbled shyly, walking over to her, and stopping when he reached the couch.
“I, um…” He trailed off and cleared his throat, then tried again. “I-I’m going with Jimmy to Mexico.” He admitted, deciding it was in his best interest to get right to the point. “He needs my help, or rather, his sister does…” Kougu swallowed, feeling somewhat guilty for some reason. He didn’t want to leave Charlie alone, but… Well, he was sure she would understand.
“I… I have to do something. I can’t explain why, I just… I need to help. You understand, right? I’ll be back soon, I’m sure.” He looked at her hopefully, praying that she would give him permission to go. Not that he intended to listen if she told him not to – it would just be easier taking on such a trying mission knowing that Charlie supported him…

((Feel free to time skip if you like – I don’t need to type 1000 words about Kougu filling a backpack with sh*t. Razz ))

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:03 am

Jimmy frowned at the hoodie tossed at him then shrugged, seemingly answering the question in his head, and pulled the jumper over his head. He hadn't been wearing many layers when he'd come back to England because he'd discarded them back in the desert. Funny, it didn't really occur to him after that experience that he would ever be cold again.
The hoodie was tight on his frame, despite his lost weight during his unfortunate holiday, but he was grateful for it anyway. It was warm, the inside of the hood was lined with something soft and fluffy, and when he pulled it over his head he felt instantly warmer.
“God, you're skinny.” He mumbled, sounding mockingly disgusted. “This wouldn't fit a rat.”
He smirked at his comment then watched Kougu leave, raising an eyebrow at his statement. Like he cared exactly how long the guy was going to be. It wasn't like he was going to count the minutes to the second and get pissed off if he was any longer than forty-two minutes. Still, he just rolled his eyes and turned back towards the shadows. It was Kougu, he'd just have to admit that. The guy was a strange one.
Shaking his head he looked down the dark, empty street before him, keeping his back to Kougu's house. He'd missed this town, even if it was a pretty morbid place.
But it wouldn't be his home until he had Amy with him. A home wasn't a home without family.
I'm coming back, Amy. I promise...

When I heard the front door close and the clatter of keys hitting wood I jolted to my feet so quickly that Pedro spluttered and began to cry in my arms. This, in turn, awoke mother and she mumbled a few curses about how crap the services were and fell back asleep. I tried to hush Pedro by whispering softly in his ear and bobbing up and down as if I needed the toilet in order to calm him back down. Kougu appeared in the room then, and I nearly ran to hug him. Unfortunately if I tried doing that with Pedro with me he'd probably flinch away, so I shushed the baby first until he went quiet, then laid him down on the cushions of the sofa to sleep.
Tending to him had been the only thing keeping me from running out to go looking for Kougu and Jimmy. Kougu had only awoken from a coma earlier that day, why was he pushing himself so much? There was only so much his body could do after being mute for seven weeks. What if he'd passed out? What if Jimmy had just left him somewhere to die and ran away?
When I finally managed to reach Kougu without Pedro in my arms he didn't bother wasting any time. He told me straight out what he was going to do.
I-I’m going with Jimmy to Mexico.
I wanted to argue with him, tell him no, he wasn't. It was too dangerous. Whatever had happened out there had really messed Jimmy up. Besides, who knew what sort of diseases could be out there? Kougu's immune system was still recovering from too much rest. He needed to take it easy, not get involved in some gun fight in the middle of nowhere.
But it was obviously not up for discussion. He didn't say 'I want to' or 'I might'. He was going.
Sighing, I listened as calmly as I could to his reasons, slightly confused as to why Jimmy was going back there anyway. What was so important that it was worth trailing all the way to Mexico to retrieve?
I… I have to do something. I can’t explain why, I just… I need to help. You understand, right? I’ll be back soon, I’m sure.
That wasn't assuring. Whatever he was going to do, it was something really serious. 'Soon' wasn't soon enough. I wanted him with me. Needed him.
Instead of saying what I wanted to say, I just sighed and wrapped my arms around him, squeezing tightly. My ear pressed against his heart, hearing the firm thu-thump of his heartbeat and prayed it wouldn't be the last time.
“Please look after yourself.” I begged quietly, tears forming in my eyes. I'd just got him back. Just. After spending weeks watching sleep, now he was awake and conscious of the world. I didn't want to lose him just yet.
“Have a rest at some point, okay? On the plane or in the airport or something. Don't push yourself.” God, I sounded like his mother. “And eat your greens.” I added with a weak giggle, although it sounded more like a sob.
“Don't die.” I whispered, clutching onto his shirt desperately. “Please... Kougu, don't get yourself killed. For me.”
Sighing, I wiped my tears on his shirt and backed away, composing myself. The stress of the last seven weeks, and then Antonio's death that day, had seriously shaken me up. I'd really needed that hug, and now, I needed to see Jimmy.
That guy had made my life Hell for years, threatened me, bullied me, hurt me, taken everything from me... But no one deserved what he'd gone through. I couldn't hate him after everything Antinio had done to him.
Sniffing, I passed Kougu to go out to find the older man, but the street lights were dull and the night was too dark to really see anything. “Jimmy?” I called into the darkness. Why hadn't he come in? Where was he?
“Jimmy.”
No response. No moving shadows. The street was empty.
Looking down, I went back into the house to help Kougu pack.

He'd been curled up behind the front garden fence when he heard her voice.
Only around six feet away, but it might as well have been miles to him. He'd flinched away at the sound of his name, fighting the urge to flee from the cold and run into her arms once more. But as much as he wanted it, he knew it was far from what he deserved.
Go away. He'd begged as she called into the night. Go away before you see me.
Thankfully the fence was a wooden one without beams, and it was knotted with ivy vines and other plants crawling up the polished wood. A spider tickled the hair on the back of his hand, and he flicked it away with a look of annoyance. He was pathetic, hiding from a sixteen year old girl. But that girl held a heavy amount of his regrets, and he didn't want to see her again. He could tell she still, foolishly, cared about him. He couldn't let that happen.
He may have shed enough tears on the mill roof, but the heavy feeling was still lingering at the back of his throat. He tried to swallow it, but it only turned more into lead than before.
Sighing, he pulled his knees to his chest and listened to her footsteps disappear back into the house.

Forty minutes and thirty-nine seconds later Kougu appeared with a single backpack thrown over his shoulder. They met at the lamp post – as promised – and Jimmy used the nearest payphone to order a hire car for twenty-four hours. It would be expensive, but fortunately Kougu had the money for it. They ordered a 24 hour taxi to the car-hire service, picked it up, and headed off to the airport.
There was little conversation to be exchanged. Jimmy was tired of talking and there was nothing to talk about, really, but the weather. It was dark and cold, which wasn't interesting. So the journey was mostly spent in silence. Jimmy was about to stop for a short nap at a drop-in station, but then he remembered he may miss a plane if he stayed for too long – although he didn't actually know when the next plane would be – so he pushed on. Thankfully he didn't fall asleep at the wheel, but by the time they arrived at the airport he was barely awake.
He had his passport, but that was his only belonging he had left. Kougu had packed some extra clothes for him but other than that, he felt pretty empty.

They both checked in – using an electrical check-in machine, and Jimmy wandered over a a huge screen showing airport flights to and from that airport. The next plane would be at 4.30 AM, five hours from then.
They went to get their luggage checked – Jimmy was glad that they hadn't packed any weapons – and began to wander through the airport to where a large, waiting area was placed. The chairs were padded and foldable, so he'd be able to sleep there.

However, he began to notice something was wrong when he met eyes with a security guard.
The man was probably in his mid-forties, perhaps early fifties, and wore the usual security guard uniform, navy, and armed with a hand gun and pepper spray. Jimmy realised this wasn't normal immediately. English airports didn't have armed guards. Not usually, anyway.
The security guard frowned at him. Muttered something into his walkie-talkie.
Blushing, Jimmy looked away and began to quicken his pace. The airport floor was far too big. The waiting area was too far away. He just wanted to go there and sleep. Nothing else. Just sleep.
More security guards noticed him when he passed, he could see them all turning towards him out of the corner of his eye. But he kept walking, trying to tell himself he was just paranoid and that his fatigue was playing tricks with his head. Just keep walking...
“FREEZE!”
He wheeled round in a panic, just as a line of three security guards were advancing on them both, their weapons all pointing towards him. He shook his head and began stumbling backwards. What the Hell was going on?!
“Stay where you are!”
This time it came from behind him. He spun round, eyes wide in terror. More guards. At least five, were surrounding them both. His legs began to shake. Of course he'd been at gun point before, and in front of people. Plus, these guys probably wouldn't shoot him because he didn't have a weapon on him, and they weren't the sort to shoot you for moving. But he'd been hoping they wouldn't bump into any trouble before they got to Mexico and suddenly his hopes of finding his sister were being thrown back in his face.
He didn't know why they were after him. He didn't know why they were pointing guns at him like he was some heartless terrorist. But all of a sudden he forgot about Kougu and started to tremble.
I just want to save my sister...
“PUT YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE 'EM!!”
Face white, he shakily did as he was told. Everywhere he looked a guard was staring at him, pointing a weapon at his head, and he had nothing he could do about it.
“Jimmy mackintosh, you are being arrested under suspicion of theft of valuable property in Mexico. You do not have to say anything but it may harm your defence, anything you do say may be given in evidence.”
Jimmy's mouth turned to sandpaper. These weren't security guards.
One grabbed him from behind and started to wrestle him into handcuffs. His mid went blank.
I don't understand... He wanted to say. He'd been at he airport just a few days ago and he'd got around fine. Why was he being arrested? What had he stolen?
“T-theft?” He croaked, his eyes darted around the uniformed men swarming around him. He could no longer see Kougu beside him. “But... I didn't steal anything from there... Except a sh*tty, old car!”
“Hey.” One swatted him around the head. “Mind your language, boy.”
Boy?
Then he realised. Bernardo must have done this, paid the police forces to hunt him down and make his life even worse. Maybe even just to stop him from coming back. He should have known it wouldn't be so easy. Of course, the b*stard had said he had contacts in the Mexican police, and if he paid the English ones enough... People would do anything for money.
But why were they treating him like a terrorist, making such a big deal of the arrest? Surely they knew he wasn't armed?
“Kougu...” He murmured, turning his head to find the younger man. Beg him for help, although there probably wasn't anything he could do.
“Where do we take him, Chief?” The police officer handling him asked to a man within the crowd.
The Chief inspector stepped forward. He was a smart-looking man, with dark hair cut close to his scalp. His face was moulded into a permanent frown but he walked with a certain confidence that generally came with authority figures. He shot Jimmy a serious look and began to speak. “Take him to the questioning room. Leave him there until we can organi-”
But when his eyes spotted Kougu, his entire demeanour changed. His eyes widened, so far that the whites could be seen all around his irises and his mouth dropped into a shocked 'O'. Jimmy recognised his expression straight away.
Fear.
“You...” The Chief whispered, but no other words seemed to be able to leave him. He was well and truly frozen in fear.

Chief Inspector Samuals stared at the boy for a long time. He had been trained through his years as a police officer to remember faces, but this was one he just couldn't forget.

He'd met young Kougu once before, a long time ago, back in the Atkinson's house. He'd managed to blackmail Charlie into handing herself in for several theft offences – the most severe being an expensive jewel from the local museum – when Kougu had accompanied her. They'd sat in the kitchen, Charlie and her mother in the other room, and Kougu had threatened him. Not only him and his life, but the peace of the country.
Kougu had also been part of a bank robbery case years ago. He'd fired the shots that had killed the bank robber and every single one of the hostages. No one knew why.
He was the son of the father who ran the terrorist group L.A.I.K.O, a group who literally had the power to cause the outbreak of a civil war. It was a group feared to death by the Authorities, who have turned a blind eye to their ruthless killings, and a group that overpowered even the police force themselves.
Kougu had beaten him before, made him give up the entire case without so much as a sentence. But it was for damned good reason.
If Kougu was harmed because of him, Samuals would be dead within the week.
Recognition flooded over his face, and he lifted an orderly hand – not taking his eyes away from the boy – to keep his officers from going anywhere. They all stopped, a couple shooting him questioning glances, but no one said a word. They all stopped in their tracks.
“What're you doing here?” He ordered the boy, although his voice was shaking.

Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:59 am

The airport was an utter nightmare for Kougu. The only consolation was that it was late at night, so the crowds were thin, and most of the people there were half-asleep. He shuddered to think how he would have coped if they weren’t – because even that was a stretch for him. He had never been in such a public, crowded place before, and it frightened him.
So, shaken by the circumstances, he followed Jimmy around like a lost lamb, shoulders held high in defensive timidity and eyes trained on her feet as the skimmed the shining tiles.
It was funny, really, how much he’d come to rely on the man in such a short time. Then again, what choice did he have? Without Jimmy’s influence, he would never have set foot in such a terrifying place – so he had to rely on Jimmy. What else could he do?

Unfortunately, just as he reached this conclusion, Kougu heard a shout from behind them. Although he did not hear what it said, he froze automatically, tension rippling through every muscle. He cast a quick glance at Jimmy, expecting guidance, but Jimmy looked every inch as lost and confused as he felt, if not more so. The sight made every tattered shred of confidence that Kougu still slung to slip fast out of his fingers, and he seemed to shrink into himself, fighting the urge to cower like an abused puppy.
More authoritative shouts followed, but Kougu’s heart was throbbing so loudly in his ears that he could not grasp what was happening.
There were too many people… There was too much movement, too much colour, too much noise… Too much!
Just as he feared he might lose his mind completely, Kougu began to realise that the officers’ attention was focused on Jimmy, and as his thoughts began to clarify, he registered a second obvious fact: They were officers. That changed things… He could handle that.
“Jimmy mackintosh, you are being arrested under suspicion of theft of valuable property in Mexico. You do not have to say anything but it may harm your defence, anything you do say may be given in evidence.” One of the officers droned monotonously. They handcuffed Jimmy, and as more words were spoken, Kougu watched the proceedings patiently, waiting to properly grasp the situation before he attempted to step in.

But then Jimmy spoke his man, and as Kougu met his desperate gaze, he felt the weight of responsibility dropped onto him, and he shouldered it like a warrior, instantly rising to Jimmy’s defence.
He hesitated for just a moment - struggling to formulate a plan with his sleep-deprived mind – but then he heard a familiar voice choke out ”You-“ and Kougu felt his lips rise into a subtle smile. He could do as he pleased.
He moved to the man’s side so silently that he simply seemed to appear there from nowhere. He cast a calculating glance over the armed men surrounding them, and concluded that their lives were not in danger. Not one would have the guts to shoot.
His hands found Jimmy’s subtley, producing a hairpin seemingly from thin air, and he picked the lock of the handcuffs expertly in seconds, his actions so delicately subtle that it was barely apparent that Jimmy had been freed.
All the while, Kougu ignored Samuels, until the man finally seemed to work up the courage to address him.
“What're you doing here?” He demanded harshly.
Kougu turned slowly to face him.

“Cleaning up after you, apparently.” He replied quietly, a condescending aura of superiority in his voice.
“This man is not guilty of theft. More importantly, he’s with me. I don’t need to explain to you what will happen if you lay a hand on him again.”
In a bold display of courage intended to intimidate, Kougu turned his back to the guns pointed at him and, shoving Jimmy gently along ahead of him, began to walk away. Before he could get very far, however, one of the officers shouted again, “Freeze!” And though his voice was high-pitched from nervousness, Kougu grudgingly obliged – though his cool demeanour made it seem like a chore.
It was remarkable that this calm, official-looking man could be the same Kougu who had been following Jimmy like a needy pet until a moment ago.

“Samuels.” He muttered, his voice icy, “Call off your men. We have a flight to await, and we will not be disturbed.” He met the officer’s gaze with a threatening glare, once again implying his dominance in a subtle, yet somehow obvious fashion.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:50 am

Jimmy felt his cuffs being gently tugged at from behind him, but when he turned his head to look over his shoulder it wasn't a policeman restraining him, it was Kougu, subtly picking away at the lock of the handcuffs with something too small for Jimmy's darting eyes.
What the Hell was he doing? And why weren't the officers doing anything about it?
His hands parted hesitantly from each other, and there was a light clank as the cuffs fell to the ground. Jimmy caressed his slightly sore wrists for a moment and then let them fall helplessly to his sides. Whatever Kougu was doing, he had no control over it, but he shot the younger man a grateful nod anyway. He'd always hated handcuffs.
He didn't have high hopes for Kougu's actions. In fact he half expected the cuffs to be shoved right back onto his wrists again.. But the Chief was still staring at him, eyes wide, mouth agape, like Kougu had suddenly grown into a man-eating troll and was about to eat him.
Jimmy thought back to the moment he'd let Antonio find him in that alleyway, taunting him about Amelia, and when he'd mentioned Kougu's personal records having been tampered with. How Tony had managed to find that out, he was unsure. But whoever Kougu was, whatever he'd done in the past, he'd caused some serious sh*t for the Chief Inspector to be looking at him like that.
Cleaning up after you, apparently. ” Kougu was talking to the Chief as if he'd asked him a stupid question. “This man is not guilty of theft. More importantly, he’s with me. I don’t need to explain to you what will happen if you lay a hand on him again.
Jimmy's eyes nearly mirrored the Chief's. Had Kougu seriously just threatened him? Was he stupid? He wasn't even armed...
Jimmy automatically began to stumble into a walk at the pressure on his shoulders, but he flashed a look behind him to see the looks on the officers' faces. They looked stunned, perhaps just because no one had ever had the guts to speak to their commanding officer like that with guns pointed at them. Or maybe just talking to the commanding officer in general. Swallowing, Jimmy started quickening his pace, itching to get as far away form the armed police as possible.
At the order to freeze he tensed, and turned around to see what Kougu was doing. The younger man stopped as commanded, but he didn't look impressed.
Samuels.” He knew the Chief's name? “Call off your men. We have a flight to await, and we will not be disturbed.
What?!
Jimmy's eyes flicked, terrified, to the Chief's blood-drained face. A threat like that would be enough to get them both arrested, if not shot. But Kougu wasn't the sort to act recklessly. Surely there was a reason why he could be so confident and threaten the police force without so much as breaking a sweat?

Samuels tried for words, but nothing came out of his mouth but a pathetic grunt, and he cleared his throat irritably in an attempt to compose himself.
His patrol were all looking a him for guidance, waiting for his order.
He swallowed, then turned and watched Kougu as he turned back around, and the two met eyes. The boy's mysteriousness unnerved him, along with his shadowed eyes and confident grin. Brat. He'd probably lived his entire life being able to get away with murder with a father like his. ((Oh, mate, you have no idea. XD))
Samuels knew he had no choice. He had to call off the arrest.
His hand found his walkie-talkie and he lowered his lips to the speaker. Pressed the 'call' button. “Calling all officers.” He gritted his teeth furiously. “Withdraw the investigation.” An angry voice growled through the speaker, but he just turned off the device and shoved it in his pocket. His boss could shout all he liked, he'd understand why eventually.
“But sir-” One young officer objected.
“We had orders from higher up-”
“...official orders to arrest Mackintosh...”
“...high importance...”
“Enough!” He barked, shooting them all a cold glance. “That's an order. Meet at the entrance with the rest of them.”
They all scurried away, muttering remarks to themselves.
Samuels clenched his jaw, furious with himself for having to give in so easily. He'd be sacked for this, for showing up the police force in such a public place, even if his reasons were genuine.
But he held firm, and stormed up to Kougu with a face the colour of a beetroot.
“You...” He pointed an accusing finger at the boy and lowered his voice. “I don't care who your father is. If you-” His vice began to raise, and he closed his eyes in attempt to calm himself down. He'd been made such a fool of and it wasn't something he could just get over. “I swear, if you harm anyone at this airport, I'll...” He growled, shook his head and turned away. What could he say? 'I'll tell your Daddy on you'? 'I'll call the Authorities'? Huh. Like that would do anything.
Letting out a roar of fury, he turned away and stormed off towards the front entrance where his colleagues were waiting.

Jimmy was the only one cowering when the Chief approached them, and he suddenly found himself using Kougu as his shield when the older man started snapping remarks at them, or really Kougu.
Jimmy had to admit, this incident seemed to be getting more and more confusing as time went on. He should have been happy, glad that Kougu had saved his ass yet another time, and even laughing in the policeman's face for having his ass kicked by an eighteen-year-old. But he wasn't. He was puzzled.
Who was Kougu's father? Why hadn't Jimmy seen him before, and why did Kougu act like he didn't have one?
Never mind that. Who was his father, and why did he make the police force literally cower at the sight of Kougu, even when they were supposed to be carrying out an investigation?
There was more to this guy than Jimmy had first thought, and he was finding himself becoming rather wary of Kougu, more than before.
He started walking forwards again, back towards his previous destination: the waiting room. “I need to sit down.” He grumbled, clutching his throbbing temple. Too much was going on for him to handle it all in one night.
He reached the chairs and slumped on the nearest one, letting out a long sigh. He just wanted sleep, but he was nervous to even have that in case someone else jumped out at him, or if Kougu supposedly 'turned' again, then tried to kill him.

The two sat in silence for a while, then Jimmy crossed his arms, yawned and turned to look at Kougu, his eyes narrowed slightly.
“I'm not going to ask what went on back there.” He croaked, not bothering to clear his throat. He'd screamed so much in the last few weeks that it wouldn't have surprised him if he could never speak properly again. “I don't want to know.”
It was true; he didn't want to know the answer to the questions he asked himself. Kougu was a strange guy, oddly loyal. But he was also something else, more powerful than even the police force. Who else could he overpower just by showing his face?
“Listen, I know you said I wasn't to trust you and all, and I get all that. I've seen you turn crazy and try to kill everyone – including me – and I'm guessing it's from something that happened to you a while ago. Sometimes you can tell someone's been through sh*t just by the sight of them. I mean, look at me.” He chuckled slightly, but it turned into a cough and he ended up having to spit onto the carpet. “I'm hardly perfect. Especially now. But...” He sighed. “I'm not the one I'm worried about.”
He turned his head back to Kougu, his brow furrowing into a concerned frown.
“If anything happens to me with this and you have to go back to Charlie alone...”
He nibbled on his lip. Kougu seemed so much higher in authority now after all that with the Police than before, as the scrawny mop-head with barely any skin on his bones.
He didn't know what to say. Kougu was fearless, thin, probably depressed, skilled and bloody crazy. If Jimmy didn't know any better he'd have said Kougu fought like a ninja, and he was obviously related to someone extremely high up the pyramid of authority. But this wasn't what Jimmy was bothered most about.
“I'm going to ask you something, and I want a solid answer.” He declared, still sounding slightly anxious for the answer.
“Whoever you are, is Charlie safe with you?”
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:43 am

Kougu nodded in cold approval when Samuels gave the order to retreat. That was more like it… Pawns ought to obey the King – those were the rules of the game, and if he was going to be forced to play, then he was going to play by the rules.
He was about to turn his back and walk away, when Samuels suddenly stormed up to him, and snarled accusingly, ”You…” Kougu raised his eyebrows, like a teacher scolding a rebellious pupil, and listened with patience to Samuel’s speech, though with little interest.
“I don't care who your father is. If you-“ He broke off, ”I swear, if you harm anyone at this airport, I'll...”
The threat was left empty, and Kougu watched the infuriated Samuels storm off with something akin to boredom.
Totally unfazed, he turned away from the scene, and walked nonchalantly beside Jimmy to the waiting area.

For a while, the pair sat in silence, Kougu hugging himself in a rather insecure fashion and staring at his feet, too nervous to look at the few people scattered about the airport. Unfortunately, he was not left undisturbed for long because after a while, Jimmy inevitably turned to question him.
“I'm not going to ask what went on back there.” He said wearily.“I don't want to know.”
Good… Kougu thought, glancing away, Because I wouldn’t tell you anyway. Even if I did, you wouldn’t believe me.
There was silence for a while, and Kougu almost began to hope that the conversation was over, but alas, he was not so lucky.
“Listen,” Jimmy began, with the air of somebody who has something important to get off his chest, “I know you said I wasn't to trust you and all, and I get all that. I've seen you turn crazy and try to kill everyone – including me – and I'm guessing it's from something that happened to you a while ago. Sometimes you can tell someone's been through sh*t just by the sight of them. I mean, look at me.” Jimmy started to chuckle, but ended up coughing instead, and Kougu looked away in distaste when he spat onto the carpet, “I'm hardly perfect. Especially now. But... I'm not the one I'm worried about.”
Something in Jimmy’s voice changed with those words, and Kougu met his gaze at last – sensing that the point was soon to come.
“If anything happens to me with this and you have to go back to Charlie alone...”
Ah, so there it was: Charlie. It always came back to Charlie…
“I'm going to ask you something, and I want a solid answer. Whoever you are, is Charlie safe with you?”
This question just made Kougu look away again, and he was silent for so long that it seemed as if he wasn’t going to answer at all; or maybe he hadn’t even been listening in the first place.
Then, after what seemed an eternity, he murmured quietly, “Jimmy, have you ever wanted to protect somebody so desperately that you only end up hurting them in the process?”
He tore his eyes away from the floor, and forced himself to meet Jimmy’s gaze, his dark eyes shocking in intensity.
“I’ve never trusted myself with Charlie, and I’ve tried with all I am to push her away. But after a while, it just-“ He broke off, and chuckled under his breath, shaking his head in faint amusement, “It seems pointless, doesn’t it? Breaking a person’s heart to save their life…” He trailed off, leaving the question hanging for quite some time. God knew he would rather have died than spent his years piecing together his heart as he had… Jimmy had to be able to relate to that, too.
He sighed heavily, brushing off his thoughts, and at last gave Jimmy the straight answer that he had asked for.
“I wish I could promise that she’s safe with me, but all I can say is this: I’d sooner die than hurt that girl-“ He broke off, and something stiffened in his jaw as he felt the unfamiliar brace of confidence in his heart, “No.” He amended quietly, “I can promise. She is safe with me, and she will be for as long as she wants me.”
Well there is was; he’d said it now, and he could never take it back. But that didn’t matter, because every word was true. He had grown as a person… He was wiser and stronger than before, and he could fight the hold that his father had over him. He would not hurt Charlie… He would kill himself before he laid a hand on that girl… Ever again.
And to be completely honest, something told him that Jimmy felt the same.
He actually felt bad taking her from him – but Charlie had made her choice. When it came down to it, he didn’t even have a say.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Jimmy spent a long time just staring at Kougu, his eyelids growing slightly heavy as he waited for an answer. He noticed Kougu was a bit like this. The term he'd probably have used a while ago was 'social retard'. Someone who couldn't socialise like a normal person. But now he knew a little more about Kougu, and pretty much owed the guy his life, he thought of him a lot higher than that now.
When the young lad finally spoke again, Jimmy didn't know what to think of it.
Jimmy, have you ever wanted to protect somebody so desperately that you only end up hurting them in the process?
He raised his eyebrows at this. It wasn't exactly something he'd felt before, he had to admit. But why was Kougu asking him this? Had he hurt Charlie? What was going on?
The two met eyes, and Jimmy was once again astounded by the intensity of Kougu's dark blue eyes. They were just as hidden under his black fringe as they had been when they'd first met on that street corner, back when Jimmy had been a complete douchebag, but now they had far more meaning to them. There was a lot of emotion in there that Kougu couldn't seem to embrace himself, but it was there nonetheless, and Jimmy found himself suddenly intrigued by them. Eyes that were once cold as stone were now warm as a candle light, growing all the time.
I’ve never trusted myself with Charlie, and I’ve tried with all I am to push her away. But after a while, it just- … It seems pointless, doesn’t it? Breaking a person’s heart to save their life…
Jimmy nodded. “On the off chance that something bad might happen, when it also might not.” He finished, giving Kougu an understanding nod. They had more in common than he'd first thought.
There was a brief pause when Kougu set aside his thoughts, deciding for an answer, before he told it to Jimmy.
I wish I could promise that she’s safe with me, but all I can say is this: I’d sooner die than hurt that girl-
Jimmy shook his head. That wasn't an answer, never mind one he was hoping for.
But Kougu suddenly stopped himself, looking faintly irritated, and a confidence rushed over him. Jimmy wondered whether he'd struck a nerve. Perhaps a good one, though. Kougu was only confident with things he truly believed in, unlike Jimmy had been once. That was why no one had really liked Jimmy when he was younger. Too cocky, they all said.
In fact, the sight of Kougu looking so determined made Jimmy want to smile. A bit of confidence was good for a guy like him.
No. I can promise. She is safe with me, and she will be for as long as she wants me.
There we are.
Jimmy nodded, honestly glad to hear it. There was an answer he could believe. At least if anything did happen to him he'd be able to trust that someone trustworthy would be looking after her. “Good.” He grunted, looking rather pleased with himself for bringing this part of the timid boy out. Even if he had been rather scary a moment ago. “I believe you, now.”

He closed his eyes for a moment, waiting for sleep to take him. But the events that night were still buzzing through his mind and he knew he'd have to get his mind off them somehow. Since Kougu was his only company, he'd have to make it up.
A thought occurred to him.
“Say, Kougu...” He murmured, opening his eyes and looking at the young man with a curious gaze. “It's Charlie's birthday in a few days. I don't suppose you've got her anything, have you?”
He waited for a moment, then shrugged. Kougu didn't look like the sort of guy that was into birthdays. Too lonely.
“If I were you,” He looked away, and his eyes lit up at the lighter topic he had discovered. “I'd get her something really expensive. Really nice. I mean, she's not the sort of girl who's shallow about gifts, and she's definitely not with you for your money. But it's been a really long time since she's got anything nice. I could never afford much. A cake, maybe.” He frowned in thought, glad to give himself something better to think about than being arrested or killed. “You could get her a dress. I don't mean one of those prom-type ones, though. One that she'd wear. A nice one.” He imagined her in a short, flowing summer dress, her hair flying in chestnut ribbons behind her. “And a piece of jewellery, maybe. I got her a cheap bracelet, once. She loved it.”
Okay, this was weird. He was technically having a conversation with his girlfriend's new boyfriend about what t get her for her birthday. And just because he was too cowardly and hated himself enough to even look at her. But Kougu was lucky to have her, and Jimmy decided it was his responsibility to make sure she had the best birthday ever, without him.
“I mean, we probably won't be back in time for her birthday, but I bet she'd love getting something, anyway.” He smiled slightly, his face lighting up again, and looked at Kougu, looking pathetically exciting at the thought of her being so happy.
“Oh, and for goodness' sake, get her something romantic. I never cared about that crap, but I knew she wanted it. Get her a rose or something. As long as it's pretty, she'd love it.”
He winked at Kougu, then stretched his arms out and yawned.
“Screw it, as long as you do something, she'll be happy.”
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Jimmy seemed satisfied with his answer, so Kougu let his attention wander again, feeling vaguely shaken from having to socialise so much, albeit with just one person. It had become easy with Charlie, but with everybody else – even Jimmy – it was still difficult for him to manage.
With his thoughts creeping along this uncertain track, Kougu began distancing himself again, and he was glad when he saw Jimmy drifting off to sleep. He nearly allowed himself to relax, but the next moment Jimmy was wide awake again and, to his disappointment, talking to him again.
“Say, Kougu… It's Charlie's birthday in a few days. I don't suppose you've got her anything, have you?”
Kougu shook his head mutely. He’d not had time to go shopping, of course. Not to mention the fact that he hated the idea of entering a shop… And even if he did – what was he supposed to get her?
Luckily, he didn’t have to break his mind over it for long, because Jimmy seemed quite keen to discuss this, regardless of whether or not Kougu offered any input. That suited him just fine.
“If I were you, I'd get her something really expensive. Really nice. I mean, she's not the sort of girl who's shallow about gifts, and she's definitely not with you for your money. But it's been a really long time since she's got anything nice. I could never afford much. A cake, maybe.”
“A cake…?” Kougu repeated uncertainly, sounding rather stupid, to say he was something of a genius.
“Why a cake…?” He muttered, mostly to himself. He was looking mildly alarmed by this sudden onslaught of advice on a topic that he knew nothing about. If it was a social convention for people to receive cakes and gifts on their birthdays, he certainly hadn’t heard of it…
“You could get her a dress.” Jimmy went on eagerly, ”I don't mean one of those prom-type ones, though. One that she'd wear. A nice one. And a piece of jewellery, maybe. I got her a cheap bracelet, once. She loved it.”
Kougu just continued to frown uncertainly at Jimmy, still convinced that he must have missed some crucial piece of information.
“Okay…” He nodded, “But… Why?” Again, his voice was so small it seemed meant only for him, and as Jimmy went on talking, Kougu just stewed in silence, trying to process this new concept of ‘gift giving’.
“I mean, we probably won't be back in time for her birthday, but I bet she'd love getting something, anyway. Oh, and for goodness' sake, get her something romantic. I never cared about that crap, but I knew she wanted it. Get her a rose or something. As long as it's pretty, she'd love it. Screw it, as long as you do something, she'll be happy.”
Kougu finally met Jimmy’s gaze, and blinked dumbly at him – then he dropped his head, sighing and massaging his temples as the first signs of a migraine began to set in.
“Cakes, dresses, jewellery, roses…” Kougu muttered under his breath, memorizing the list, and still waiting for it to start making sense. When it didn’t, he finally looked up at Jimmy, managing a faintly confused smile, and replied uncertainly,
“If it’s going to make her happy, then of course I’ll do it, but I still don’t understand…” He paused a moment, scratching his head in puzzlement, and added, “So it’s the accepted social protocol to present somebody with gifts on their birthday?” He seemed to consider this and - with a shrug – concluded fairly, “It doesn’t seem very logical. Why would you celebrate a person getting a year closer to dying? Or is it supposed to be considered a reward for surviving each year?”
He glanced at Jimmy as though asking his opinion, and when he saw the man’s expression, a new thought occurred to him.
“I suppose I’m over-analysing it…” He mumbled with an air of dawning comprehension. With this realisation there came acceptance at last, and rather than puzzling with himself, Kougu joined the conversation.
“So, the concept of a ‘birthday’ is supposed to be something important, isn’t it?” He asked curiously – seeming far more interested now that he was no longer quite so confused. “I must be sure to handle it correctly, then… What else should I know? What exactly are the rules behind these gifts and celebrations?”
He fixed Jimmy with a questioning gaze, eager to learn more about something that, the way he understood it, was meant to make Charlie feel happy.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:50 am

Jimmy looked away tiredly to study the quiet airport, nodding his head to the crappy background music they had on loop on a tiny speaker somewhere. There was a giant screen hanging from the ceiling with plane times on, their flight wasn't for another four and a half hours.
He sighed.
Beside him, Kougu was mumbling something to himself. Jimmy turned to him, frowning, to see him massaging his temples. Probably lack of sleep. The guy had looked tired before, but he'd insisted to keep awake through the car journey despite Jimmy's efforts to tell him to have a nap. The excitement from what had just happened might have stressed him out a bit. Although, if it had, he did an extremely good job of hiding it. Jimmy was about to offer to go to the nearest shop and buy him some pain killers, when Kougu started talking again. This time, more to Jimmy than himself.
If it’s going to make her happy, then of course I’ll do it, but I still don’t understand…
What don't you understand? Jimmy wanted to ask him, his frown furrowing. It's a friggin' birthday.
But when he studied Kougu's completely confused features, the way his eyebrows lifted up at the middle and the smile on his lips didn't quite spread across his entire mouth, he realised the young man was being totally serious. He had no idea what a 'birthday celebration' actually was.
What the Hell? What sort of father did he have?
So it’s the accepted social protocol to present somebody with gifts on their birthday? It doesn’t seem very logical. Why would you celebrate a person getting a year closer to dying? Or is it supposed to be considered a reward for surviving each year?
Jimmy opened his mouth to answer this, perhaps finally ask Kougu if he was stupid, but when he realised he couldn't answer it honestly he stopped himself. Why did we celebrate birthdays? It's another day alive, he guessed. It wasn't something he debated often.
Jesus, Kougu... He thought, shaking his head in confusion. What sort of person didn't know anything about birthdays? Hell, if you turned on the TV you'd probably find something about them. Or looked in magazines. How could Kougu not so much as heard of them?
Jimmy decided this wasn't something he wanted to know so he just shook his head, deciding for better reasons that the lad was weird in the head, and watched Kougu's expression when he'd realised he was going over-the-top about it. Could be the first time ever, even.
He mumbled something about over-analysing the situation which Jimmy nodded mutely in agreement to, allowing him to figure everything out himself. “So, the concept of a ‘birthday’ is supposed to be something important, isn’t it? I must be sure to handle it correctly, then… What else should I know? What exactly are the rules behind these gifts and celebrations?
“Hm?” Jimmy grunted eventually, by this time he was beginning to feel rather tired himself. Too many questions, too many words...
Kougu was looking seriously intrigued now, as if Jimmy had just said he'd discovered a new element beyond the Periodic Table. Far more excited than any normal person should be.
Now it was Jimmy's turn to massage his temples.
“I don't know, Kougu...” He tried, sounding extremely fed up now. What fuelled Kougu's enthusiasm? Where did it come from? Moments like this he might as well have been baby-sitting a hyper ten-year-old. “It's a birthday. It's a-... A celebration of her birth, I guess. Her existence. You're glad she's alive today, right?” He didn't expect a 'no', so he just carried on. “Show her how much. Let her know how much you love her. Make her happy. Take the weight off her shoulders, even if only for one day. Treat her. Make her feel really special, if you don't already.” He shrugged. “I'm hoping you're catching my drift, here. Charlie is...” He exhaled and shook his head in slightl bewilderment. “She's beautiful. Show her how beautiful she is.”
With or without clothes. He thought, smiling subtly to himself.
Of course, he and Charlie had never gone, as some people say, 'all the way'. But he'd come home stressed or angry and she'd always be there to comfort him, in more ways than one. It didn't make him love her any less than lust.
“These are just suggestions, so please don't try and remember them all.” He shook his head in amusement. Kougu would probably try anyway. “Do what you want, just make sure she knows you love her.”
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:13 pm

From his answer, Kougu could sense Jimmy’s weariness, and he made a silent decision not to bother the man any further after this. It was most unlike him to maintain a conversation in any case, and he would be quite content just sitting in silence.
Still, before that, he had to listen to Jimmy’s response. And with it, at last, things began to make sense.
What Jimmy said brought sudden clarity to his mind. The idea was to show Charlie how glad he was that she was alive – and that he could comprehend. Now that it made sense, he understood what he was supposed to do.
He would find a gift, something special, to show Charlie how much he loved her. Something that would make her happy, that would take the weight off her shoulders…
He smiled slightly at the thought, shaking his head in silent disbelief. A birthday really was an elegant celebration after all. He was wrong to scorn it.

When Jimmy was finished explaining, Kougu nodded in silent understanding, and murmured a polite, “Thanks.” He had nothing more to say on the subject, so he remained silent, staring vaguely around the airport, and wondering what he might get Charlie for her birthday… He thought he had an idea. Maybe she wouldn’t like it, but… Well, he’d give it a shot.

The hours drifted by as Kougu sat there, in a delicate sleep far from sleep, but certainly not complete wakefulness either. He was sure he had seen Jimmy drift off a few times, but he paid it no mind – he just let his thoughts drift, and focused on relaxing and resting his tired body, even if he didn’t trust himself to actually sleep in a public place. He never had, and he never would – he barely slept at home as it was. It had taken months for Charlie to force him to accept his need for sleep.

It was past 4AM by the time Kougu returned to full wakefulness, and found himself suddenly accosted by a restless need to do something. Weary and exhausted, he traipsed to a 24-hour coffee shop a short way across the airport, and bought a cup for himself and Jimmy.
He carried them carefully back, and set one steaming Styrofoam cup beside Jimmy – just far enough away that he couldn’t knock it over by accident. It was strange how unconsciously caring Kougu was in all the small things he did. To say that he was a madman and a murderer – he really didn’t seem to have a mean bone in his body.
Taking a deep breath, Kougu blew on his boiling coffee, then took a careful sip, cradling the hot cup in his pale, bony hands. It was good coffee, and better yet, it helped restore some of his lost energy – energy he felt he would need to keep it together on the plane. He had no qualms about flying – he just preferred piloting… And, more importantly, he was not entirely impressed about the idea of being surrounded by innocent people in an enclosed, inescapable place. In fact, he seemed slightly unnerved by the prospect.
Swallowing his anxiety, Kougu took another sip – and as he brought the cup away from his lips, he saw Jimmy stirring.
“I got you coffee.” He pointed out, nodding toward the cup, “Our flight leaves pretty soon, so you might want to stock up on caffeine before we get up in the air.”

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:32 pm

The next few hours were spent heavily sleeping for Jimmy, although he had rested upright and had tried his best not to look like a drooling idiot in his sleep. He was slumped in his sleep, dreaming about fists and steel-capped shoes hitting him in the face and dark rooms with no doors or windows and walls that closed in on him.
He awoke with a start when he remembered he had a plane to catch, and spent a moment trying to figure out where the Hell he was.
I got you coffee.
He turned his head to see a white, Styrofoam cup being pushed his way, and cupped his cold hands gratefully around it, mumbling a quiet 'thanks' as he took a warm sip. Then, as if realising something, he looked up at Kougu, frowned, and muttered “Thanks” again, sounding a little more surprised than before. Of course, Kougu hadn't left him. But it was surprising that he was being so kind, even after the many times he'd saved Jimmy before. Although, Jimmy had always thought Kougu had done all those deeds because of Charlie. But hey, obviously not.

He sipped on his drink again, enjoying the feeling of the warm liquid dribbling down his gullet. It was a while ago since he'd hast had coffee, and boy, had he missed it.
Our flight leaves pretty soon, so you might want to stock up on caffeine before we get up in the air.
Jimmy nodded, obediently sipping more of his coffee. Seriously, he was just looking forward to getting more sleep once they got on the plane. And he hoped they'd have central heating on that thing, he was freezing...
“Say, Kougu,” He croaked tiredly, hunching over his coffee. “You ever been on a plane bef-”
He was about to finish the word 'before' when the crowd from the Mexico return plane came stumbling into the airport, rolling baggage and yawning tiredly – Jimmy assumed those had only just awoken, like him. Then, his eyes flicked onto a familiar face, a young, tanned boy with short, messy, dark brown hair. His shoulders, once slumped and vulnerable, were now held vertical and strong, broadened by a new confidence that had appeared from God-knows-where.
Jimmy nearly dropped his coffee. His blood boiled with fury.
He dumped his cup down on the cup holder by the chair and stood, already preparing himself like a Pit Bull in a dog fight.
Alfredo, you bastard.

“He's going to hate me.” The young girl muttered nervously as they walked down the steps from the plane and into the airport. “After what they did to him, there's no way he'll want anything to do with me.”
“He's not going to hate you.” The Spaniard assured her, rubbing her cold arm gently. She hadn't exactly had much time to 'dress' for the occasion, and the change in temperature from Mexico to England was bothering them both, and he was wearing a jacket. He took it off and draped it over her shoulders, trying to ignore the cold breeze that hit the thin material of his t-shirt. “You're his sister, señora. He travelled all the way to Mexico to find you. I don't know him, but I do know something like that wouldn't stop him from trying again.”
“You didn't see the way he looked at me.” She mumbled, leaning against him for body warmth. “Just before he drove away. He really hated me.”
“It doesn't matter, señora. Because when he sees you again he'll remember how much he missed you. How long has it been again?”
“Seven years.” She replied quietly. Over the years she'd learnt not to speak too loudly in case it got her a beating. “And three weeks.”
“My point exactly.” He smiled warmly at her. “Of course he'll love you. As much as I do.” He ran his hand down her arm until he found her hand, and he held it gently, as if it were made of porcelain. “You'll see him soon, don't worry about it. I'll be right here.”
He sounded confident, but the girl knew he was as nervous for the reunion as she was. She didn't ask him why, but she had a feeling it had something to do with the failed rescue attempt all those weeks ago. He didn't speak of it, so she didn't ask. Something occurred to her.
“What will you do?” She asked him, her delicate brow creasing slightly in the middle. “After all this is over. Will you be going back to Spain?”
“Hey, I'm a free man, now.” He grinned stupidly at her, causing one of his smooth, tanned cheeks to reveal a dimple she'd never noticed before. It made her want to smile with him. “I'll be with you as long as you want me.”
Her heart fluttered as he nuzzled her gently, breathing onto her paler face. But she didn't smile. “Don' you miss your family?”
He just shrugged. “They're not going anywhere. I'll visit them at some point, but I don't really want them to know about Father just yet. I don't want them to think I played a part in it.”
She nodded. Again, she wasn't too sure why he had taken part in his father's death at all, she couldn't understand why anyone would want to harm their father, but his eyes darkened at the mention of it so she presumed his father must have done something pretty bad to him at some point.
“Plus,” he continued, “I've been away from them so long, I guess I'm used to it. And don't forget, there's always emails and phones now. I'll never lose contact with them.”
By this point they were in the airport, and she began to warm up under his tattered, leather jacket. They followed the crowd to the luggage section, although she hadn't brought anything with her, and wandered out to the first floor where the main entrance/exit would be.
She kept walking, but the boy froze behind her. His eyes were locked on someone way beyond the crowd into the waiting area. Frowning, she followed his gaze.
Jimmy?

He couldn't understand it. He wasn't sure why Alfredo was there, but who cared? The bastard owed him a f*cking brilliant explanation for fleeing back in Mexico. For betraying him.
He was already storming forward, eyes locked on the young Spaniard, when a girl jumped in front of him. She was frail, wearing very little, her long, fake chestnut hair falling messily down one of her shoulders.
He slowed to a stop.

The two stared at each other for a long, painfully long moment, their faces completely blank. Jimmy blinked once, maybe twice, maybe more, although he wasn't really aware of anything but the girl so far away from him. He wasn't imagining her, was he? There was no way she could be there. He was just about to get on a flight to Mexico to save her, for goodness' sake!
His mouth opened, but no words came out. He had nothing to say.
Instead he ran - or stumbled – to her, having had no recollection of doing it, and she did the same. Within seconds they had their arms around each other, he picked her up and spun her around like he used to when she was a little tot, and she squealed in the same way she used to in response. Tears spilled down both their cheeks.
He put her back on her feet, both arms still wrapped protectively around her shoulders, and made a laughing sound that sounded more like a sob. He didn't bother to try and fight the tears off.
Amelia mirrored his expression and hugged him again. He felt his stomach dampen beneath Kougu's jumper.
“I'm sorry,” Jimmy whispered to her, kissing her hair and hugging her tightly once more. “I'm so, so damned sorry. I didn't want to leave you. I didn't have a choice-”
She shushed him and pulled back, wiping her eyes. Some mascara came off onto her hand. “It wasn't your fault, Jimmy, it was mine. I should have told you what would happen, I was just so scared...”
He nodded and placed a hand on her head, like Kougu had done to Charlie earlier that day. “It doesn't matter. You're here now. God, you have no idea how much I wished I could have turned that car around and tried again.”
He looked up again and saw Alfredo, obviously keeping his distance, with his hands stuffed unceremoniously in his pockets. Jimmy could see the goosebumps on his arms from where he was stood. The boy caught Jimmy noticing him, and blushed, looking away. Probably finding it awkward seeing a man cry so much.
This made Jimmy angry.

He guided Amelia away from him and stormed back towards the boy, all the hatred for him and his dead father exploding from a long time of mild brewing.
The young boy tried to flee but Jimmy was too fast. He grabbed Alfredo's thin shirt, pulled it into clumps in his palms and shoved him against the wall. His grip was so tight he ended up lifting the boy up and inch or two in blind anger. His eyes were still red from crying.
“Where the f*ck did you go?!” He demanded furiously. “What happened to the plan?”
“I had to hide.” Alfredo told him firmly, seemingly proud of what he'd achieved. “If I hadn't done we'd both have failed and Amelia wouldn't have been saved.” He nodded over Jimmy's shoulder to Amy, who was hovering close to Jimmy, tugging at his hoodie. He'd not even noticed she was there.
Jimmy's blazing eyes flicked to his sister, bro furrowing in confusion. His head snapped round to Alfredo and he tightened his grip on the younger boy's shirt.
“You saved her?” He snarled, angry to the point that he didn't know how to act. “Why?”
Alfredo's dark eyes hovered on Amy, almost begging for her input, but she remained silent.
“WHY?” Jimmy roared, raising his arm and slamming it across Alfredo's throat, the impact causing the Spaniard's head to slam harder back across the wall.
“Jimmy, we're together!” Amy wailed behind him, so faint that at first he wasn't sure he heard it. Was she being serious? No, she was probably lying to get him to stop attracting attention to himself. Oh well, Kougu had made sure they weren't to be disturbed, so it wasn't like anyone was going to save little Alfy now.
“Jimmy.” Amy said firmly, and his arm on Alfredo's throat slackened. He was still shaking, he hadn't managed to drain all his anger, but he was too full of shock to act on it anymore.
“Since when?” He asked quietly, his voice almost a whisper.
“Thr-ree... Weeks a-go.” Alfredo croaked, raising a hand to massage his aching throat.
Jimmy stepped back, eyes wide, and shook his head in disbelief. How the Hell could the boy he hated and the sister he loved be going out? Alfredo's father was the one who'd caused this entire problem, and Alfredo himself had fled a scene which caused Jimmy to suffer in more ways than one, and spend three weeks travelling to an airport in order to find Kougu to help him get back to Mexico. It made no sense.

He took a moment to digest the information, although it was difficult, and swallowed shakily. Amy was still clutching onto his hoodie, but he was no longer fighting.
So Alfredo had saved her because he thought she was fit, yes? Why was she going out with him? No one just 'recovered' from a seven-year traumatic experience in the blink of an eye.
Fine. If she wanted him as a boyfriend, fine. But Jimmy would make damned sure that he didn't lose her again.
Just as Alfredo began to relax, Jimmy grabbed his shirt and slammed him back into the wall furiously, cupping a hand around the younger boy's delicate throat. He squeezed – not enough to strangle, but enough to feel uncomfortable, just as a warning – and lowered his lips to Alfredo's ear.
“If you hurt her, violate her, or so much as pluck a hair from her head on purpose, I swear to Christ-”
“You'll tie me to a post and burn me alive.” Alfredo finished, beginning to tremble beneath Jimmy's grip. This made him smile.
“Good boy.” He growled, patting the younger boy's cheek patronisingly then turned away to cool off. “I'm getting my stuff. Amy, we're going home.”
“Alfredo's coming t-”
“No.” Jimmy shook his head at her 'suggestion'. No way would his mum want to see that she had already found a boyfriend, never mind the son of Antonio Martinez. “He can wait in an alley somewhere. She can't be dealing with him yet.”
“But-”
“I said no, Ames.” He told her flatly, then walked back to the waiting area where Kougu was sat. Immediately Jimmy's face relaxed. It was difficult being stressed around Kougu.
“We won't be needing the flight to Mexico after all.” He said with a tired smile. “But thanks, for dragging your ass out here for me. Like I said, I owe you.” He winked, picked up his coffee, and downed the rest in very few gulps.
He then turned round and waved Amelia over, then turned back to Kougu and grinned. “Get up, mate. I want you to meet my sister.”

When Amy and Alfredo reluctantly came over, Alfredo immediately cowered away at the sight of Kougu. He'd obviously never forgiven him for the way he'd treated him, and he wasn't prepared to 'start a new' just yet.
Amelia looked at Jimmy, confused, then at Kougu. It was obvious why Jimmy had related Charlie to her; they had the same delicate face, not a crease on their brow, and the same long, thick hair, although Amy's had been dyed to make her look more Spanish. Her skin was also unbelievably tanned, opposite to Charlie's pale complexion. But they had the same expressions, the same vulnerability about them that created urges for others to protect them. Charlie may have been slightly more bubbly, but that couldn't have been helped. Amy had hardly anything to smile about in the last seven years.
She looked like she was wanting to know why they'd been brought over. Jimmy just grinned at her.
“Amelia, this is Kougu.”
The young girl looked Kougu up and down, not in a judgemental fashion, and studied him curiously for a moment. “So are you... Jimmy's friend?” She mumbled.
Jimmy chuckled at this, leaning against one of the seats. Then he pondered over the question for a moment.
Was Kougu his friend? Was this what friends did? Baring in mind a couple of hours ago Jimmy had asked Kougu to shoot him, and in turn Kougu had thought Jimmy had sent him on that mill to kill him.
But Kougu had shown him kindness, risked his life for him and saved his ass several times in just one day. Plus, he'd bought him coffee, which was friendly enough.
“Yeah...” He muttered, frowning at the concept. “Yeah, I guess he is.” He said, looking at Kougu and raising a questioning eyebrow. Do you agree with me? He thought silently.

((Sorry. :3))
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:33 pm

((Oh yeah, and feel free to time-skip until they get home again if you can't think of anything. Sorry, I know I've not given poor Kougu much to do other than think and observe. Razz Poor soul. ))
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:49 am

Everything happened so suddenly that Kougu could barely grasp what was going on. One minute he and Jimmy were quietly sipping coffee, awaiting their flight, and the next minute – Jimmy was rushing into the horde of tired Mexicans like a starved Pitbull.
Kougu stood instantly, tense and alert, but what he saw the next moment kept him glued to the spot.
A young girl broke from the crowd, and dashed straight into Jimmy’s arms. She shrieked in delight as he spun her ecstatically around – and Kougu didn’t need to see Jimmy’s tears to know they were there.
In fact, he had to took away to blink back his own. It may have been a very different sight, but he remembered doing something just the same with his sister, years and years ago. He was glad that Amelia was okay. So glad… He was so bloody glad that it hurt like a knife between the ribs. ((Yup, Kougu, sounds like gladness alright. XD ))

He drew in a shaky breath, and upon releasing it, looked back to see Jimmy and his sister hugging. It was a touching sight, and he felt his lips lift into a subtle smile – though at the same time, his heart was sinking. As usual, he would not be of help. As usual, he was useless…
But no matter – his assistance wasn’t needed, because somehow the problem had resolved itself, and that was a good thing! Yes, very good indeed.
He nodded to reassure himself, and looked back at Jimmy and Amelia for a moment.
He was about to leave, feeling like he was intruding on something deep and personal, but as he took the first step, he suddenly heard raised voices – and his head snapped up again. Jimmy had a man pinned against the wall, and Kougu took a stilted step forward, tense and ready to jump in if something went wrong.
But after a few heated minutes, the pair seemed to iron it out, and again Kougu was left standing awkwardly, watching Jimmy raising his hackles at the younger man he now recognised as Alfredo, who had his arm around Amelia. Kougu couldn’t possibly comprehend such social complications, so he didn’t even try. He just shifted awkwardly, and glanced toward the exit.

But again, as he was about to leave, something stopped him. “We won't be needing the flight to Mexico after all.”
Hearing Jimmy’s voice behind him, Kougu turned to watch him with a blank stare, uncertain as to why Jimmy felt the need to point out the obvious.
“But thanks, for dragging your ass out here for me. Like I said, I owe you.”
“I didn’t do anything.” Kougu objected, “You don’t owe me a thing.”
He was frowning at Jimmy, seemingly confused as to why Jimmy would ever thank him for not doing a thing. He didn’t seem to realise the sentiment behind it at all.
“Get up, mate. I want you to meet my sister.”
He was about to object to this, too; but when he saw the way Jimmy was grinning, eyes shining in a way he had never seen before, it was like Kougu’s limbs grew minds of their own. He smiled and nodded, then followed Jimmy over to Amelia, holding his shoulders high as though to defend himself from the outside world, and looking rather self-conscious.
Why am I here? My services aren’t needed, so why does Jimmy still want me here?
Unable to understand, Kougu stopped in front of Amelia, and considered her thoughtfully. He was supposed to save her, but now she was saved. He wasn’t sure what to make of that. If not the object of his ‘mission’, what was the girl before him?
“Amelia, this is Kougu.”
Unused to being introduced to people, Kougu forced an awkward smile and shrugged his shoulders.
“So are you... Jimmy's friend?”
This question struck Kougu completely dumb, but before he could begin obsessing, Jimmy saved him by offering an answer of his own. And the content of it surprised Kougu perhaps more than it should have.
“Yeah... Yeah, I guess he is.”
He glanced at Jimmy, shocked, to find the older man looking at him with a questioning expression, obviously wondering if he agreed.
He considered Jimmy a long while, and at last, he murmured, “Yes… I suppose so.” He seemed amused by this, for reasons only he – and perhaps Jimmy – could understand; but the smile on his lips implied that he was pleased nevertheless. He had never really expected to see himself as somebody with ‘friends’…
“So you’re Amelia?” He asked quietly, observing the girl with a gentle gaze.
So innocent, so delicate, what monster could ever-
“I’ve heard a lot about you…” Remembering something of etiquette, Kougu offered the girl his hand. “It’s an honour to meet you. I’m relieved that you’re safe.”
All the while, Kougu ignored Alfredo – choosing not to see the younger man’s discomfort for fear it sent him into some sort of shame spiral. He had done what had to be done that time… It didn’t matter if Alfredo never forgave him, but he could never go back to choking on his own guilt.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:12 pm

Jimmy nodded at Kougu's response, sharing a little smile between then for reasons only they knew. It was funny, really, that enemies could become closer because of the similarities they held, and for the sake of one girl they would come together and promise to risk their lives for each other in order to save her.
You're alright, Kougu. Jimmy thought, grinning and nodding his head in approval. You're alright, you are.
He was surprised when Kougu started to talk to Amelia though, with Kougu being – as Jimmy put it – a 'social retard', Jimmy had expected Kougu to either ignore her or shrink away from her presence. But he tried his best, even if the attention startled her slightly.
So you're Amelia? I’ve heard a lot about you…” He held out his hand politely. ““It’s an honour to meet you. I’m relieved that you’re safe.
Amy's delicate cheeks blushed slightly, but she placed her small, frail hand in Kougu's. “Oh, I doubt it's an honour.” She half-laughed, not quite smiling. “But thank you.”
Then she pulled her hand away, embarrassed, and began to back away towards Alfredo, but Jimmy quickly stopped her. They could smooch all they liked, but not in front of his eyes.
“Kougu saved my life today,” He almost bragged, shooting Kougu a proud look. “And it wasn't the first time.” Jimmy wandered over and patted Kougu's shoulder briefly, not letting his hand linger long enough for it to look awkward. He then leant forward, lowering his voice slightly, and mumbled, “That's what I owe you for. Don't forget it.”
He winked, a private wink meant only for Kougu, then turned away back to the others and rubbed his cold hands together eagerly.
“Right. Well, come on. We'd better get you home.” He said brightly to Amelia, although he still looked very tired. He wrapped an arm around her and pecked her forehead – evidently making a show of it to annoy Alfredo – and began leading her out towards the front entrance.
He paused, then looked over his shoulder, raising his eyebrows at the younger, long-haired man. “Come on, Kougu. I ain't letting you walk.”

Out at the car Jimmy let Amelia in the front seat and Kougu in the back, just for the sake of splitting her and Alfredo up, and Alfredo – naturally – whinged about it.
“Senor, I saved your sister.” He moaned.
Jimmy leant coolly against the car, looking down at the little Spaniard, and raised an eyebrow.
“Yes, and I'm very grateful. Hence why you're coming with us. Just not... In the house.”
“But why can't I-”
“I'm not having the two of you making out in a rent car.” Jimmy rolled his eyes, opening the door for Alfredo. “Especially when I'm there. You'd give Kougu nightmares.”
The young boy whimpered at him, glancing at Kougu with nervous eyes, and looked back at Jimmy with a pleading gaze.
“Oh.” Jimmy chuckled. “You're scared of him, aren't you?”
“He tried to burn me alive.”
“Well I promise he won't do it tonight.” Jimmy made an impatient gesture towards the car seat. “Get in the stupid car.”
Looking down, Alfredo did as he was told.

The journey was quicker going back than it was getting there, because no one was on the road at four in the morning. Alfredo, despite his anxiety, actually fell asleep on the back seat – probably from jet lag – and Amelia drifted in and out of sleep during the hour and a half journey.
Jimmy dropped Kougu off at his house and they said their goodbyes – Jimmy made a clear point that if Kougu needed his assistance in anything, all he had to do was ask – and the two parted ways to reunite with their loved ones.

Find me here, and speak to me
I want to feel you, I need to hear you.
You are the light that's leading me to the place ,
Where I find peace again...

You are the strength that keeps me walking,
You are the hope that keeps me trusting,
You are the life to my soul ,
You are my purpose,
You're everything...

My voice was barely a whisper as I sang to keep Mum asleep, but just loud enough to soothe Pedro back into a soft sleep. I'd had three hours' sleep at best with his crying, and I wasn't sure what it was that had bothered him all night but it must have been something terrifying.
I was looking out the back window, watching the sun rise between the rooves of houses when Kougu came through the door. At first I'd thought it might have been a burglar, since Anthony would never have been awake so early, and I'd nearly contemplated grabbing a knife from the kitchen. But when Kougu stepped through the door, despite all the questions rushing through my mind, I put Pedro back in his bed and ran into Kougu's arms.
“Jesus... I'm so glad you're okay.” I whispered, sharing his embrace, then pulled back slightly to ask what had gone wrong... Or right.
“Is everything okay?” I asked, frowning at him, then shook my head and hugged him again. “Never mind, tell me later. I've missed you... God, I was so worried you'd already pushed yourself too hard or something. I haven't slept well, if you can't already tell.” I laughed weekly.
I angled my jaw upwards and dared myself to kiss his chin, then found his hand and laced our fingers together. Bless him, he looks so tired. I'd better not keep him.
“Did something happen?” I asked again, looking up into his eyes and absent-mindedly brushed his long fringe away so I could see them better. “Is Jimmy alright?”
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:14 pm

Once he’d done his bit exchanging pleasantries with Amelia and the girl had pulled away, Kougu withdrew into himself again, letting his attention wander in an aloof fashion, and subconsciously distancing himself. He was almost about to wander off like a lost dog, but then he heard his name appear in the conversation again, and his attention flicked back onto what Jimmy was saying.
“Kougu saved my life today, and it wasn't the first time.”
If these words weren’t surprise enough, then the proud look in Jimmy’s eyes certainly was. Nobody had ever looked on him with such pride before, even though he’d been striving desperately for it for most of his childhood. He had nearly broken himself bending over backwards to please his father. Yet now, when he’d done basically nothing at all, Jimmy was looking at him as if he’d just won a Nobel prize.
He wasn’t entirely sure how to deal with it, so he just ended up blinking blankly in response – though the sentiment touched him deeply. He could hardly believe that this Jimmy was the same man who had been his forsworn enemy just a few short months before.
Now, he had become like the brother Kougu never had.

With eyes downcast, Kougu didn’t notice Jimmy approaching him until he felt a hand on his shoulder, and then he flinched automatically away, like an abused pet expecting a blow. But of course it did not come, and – better late than never – Kougu registered the warmth in the touch. As it began to sink in, he felt his lips lift into a small smile of their own accord, and he actually met Jimmy’s gaze as the older man added, “That's what I owe you for. Don't forget it.”
He still felt oddly dumbstruck from Jimmy’s warm gesture, but he managed to find words to mumble a quiet response, “Please; I haven’t done a thing. If anything, I owe you.” The openness of his own words shocked him, but Kougu smiled anyway, feeling surprisingly fond of the man beside him. ((As a friend, Dreameh, I promise. XD ))
It seemed he would have to get used to the idea of Jimmy being one of those few people who truly meant something to him…
Jimmy winked as he walked away, and Kougu let a chuckle escape his lips, shaking his head in quiet disbelief.
Jimmy is my ‘friend’. Just how on earth did that happen?

After that, Jimmy took his sister by the hand, and the group turned to leave – leaving Kougu to make his own way home, or so he thought. But as he was about to go his own way, Jimmy’s voice called him back for the umpteenth time that day.
“Come on, Kougu. I ain't letting you walk.”
He took a moment to consider this, then shrugged and followed after Jimmy, looking faintly pleased. All of this ‘normal’ behaviour was frighteningly new to him, but he found that he didn’t really mind it. Perhaps he could get used to living an average life? It would be fun… An aberration, on his part.
The group piled into the car, and Kougu placidly took his seat – keeping himself to himself to avoid potential awkwardness, since he wasn’t sure he could cope with that. He was already a little uncertain about sharing such a confined space with so many people…
There was some arguing about the seating arrangements, but Kougu ignored it – leaving Jimmy to take charge, and trusting his judgement – and just amused himself by staring out of the window until Alfredo had been practically forced into the back seat beside him, complaining bitterly about how Kougu had tried to burn him before. That was true enough, but surely Alfredo could not be so dense? That bluff had been a poor one on his part. It had worked, sure, but he had even told Alfredo that he was bluffing… Hadn’t he? Oh well, what better time to clear it up?
When the younger man sat nervously beside him, Kougu turned to him and said coolly, “I was bluffing, you know. “ He watched Alfredo through narrowed eyes for a moment, then shrugged and turned his attention back to the window. He didn’t mind that Alfredo was afraid of him. In fact, it suited him quite well.

During the drive, two of their number drifted off to sleep, but Kougu and Jimmy remained awake. They arrived back at his house not long after, and the pair said their goodbyes; each making his loyalty to the other easily apparent.
Kougu stared after Jimmy for a long time after he had driven off into the distance, and found that the smile refused to leave his face. He had earned himself a friend, without even having to do a thing… He barely understood how it had happened, but he did know one thing: He would have Jimmy’s back for the rest of his life. Because for all of Kougu’s downfalls, his loyalty was one quality that could not be questioned.

Reality hit home with the cold chill of the wind, and Kougu shivered, then turned to let himself into the house. He was feeling a little despondent after seeing off his new friend (who knew how long it would be until he saw Jimmy again?) but those feelings were soon eclipsed when he heard the familiar soft thuds of Charlie’s footsteps as she raced to meet him.
He grinned automatically at the sight of her, and opened his arms to catch her in his embrace, clutching her fondly to him. It hadn’t even been a night, but so much had happened that it seemed much longer.
“Jesus... I'm so glad you're okay.” Charlie whispered shakily, and Kougu hugged her tighter, making a soothing noise under his breath.
“Is everything okay?”
He began answering, but before he could, Charlie cut him off with another hug, and Kougu just laughed quietly, stroking a hand through her soft hair.
“Never mind, tell me later. I've missed you... God, I was so worried you'd already pushed yourself too hard or something. I haven't slept well, if you can't already tell.”
“You silly.” He scolded gently, patting her shoulder reassuringly, “You never have to worry about me.”
Evidently, Charlie didn’t agree – and Kougu didn’t blame her – because she kissed his chin, and went on bombarding him with questions.
“Did something happen? Is Jimmy alright?”
He squeezed her hand, and replied calmly, “Jimmy is fine. Everything is fine. It all worked out somehow, and we didn’t even have to go to Mexico.” He shrugged, “I don’t completely understand what happened, but I assume Alfredo did something. Either way, Jimmy and his sister are safe now.”
Kougu chuckled under his breath, a wry smile spreading across his face.
“He’s not so bad really, Jimmy. After seeing him so happy with his sister, I could hardly believe he was the same guy. I guess love does that to a person.”
He flashed Charlie a playful wink, and tweaked her chin affectionately. It was strange how easy it was for him to be around her now. He had come so far in the last few months – at times he felt almost normal. He was not the same haunted, awkward boy he had been a year ago…
“Are you okay?” He asked suddenly, squeezing her hand in his, then raising it to press over his heart. “I’m sorry I left you…” He gazed solemnly at her, “You look quite shaken. Want some hot chocolate?”
It felt strange offering Charlie a drink, since usually it seemed to go the other way around – but after his strange and nostalgic night, Kougu wanted nothing more than to just take care of the girl he loved.
He was delighted that Jimmy and his sister had been reunited, but in the back of his mind, Kougu could not help but feel something akin to jealousy with the knowledge that his own beloved sister was never coming back. The feeling did not suffocate him as it used to, and he felt fine, but he was determined never to let any harm befall the people he loved ever again – starting with Charlie; right there, right then.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:33 pm

Kougu explained the situation to me, and I just nodded in reply. As long as Jimmy was okay, and Kougu didn't have to leave again, I'd be happy. Small part of me wanted to meet this 'Amelia' that I'd heard about, I wanted to find out if she was the reason Jimmy had taken me in all those years ago and looked after me, and if we had any resemblance at all. Nevertheless, they'd only just arrived back and there was going to be a Hell of reunion. Best to leave it to them.
My eyes flicked up at Kougu's smiling face, and I suddenly found myself wanting to mirror it. How many times had I seen him so happy? Not enough, especially before his coma. I loved the way his smiling lips creased his his cheeks just slightly, like his face hadn't been made to smile but he managed it anyway, and his dark eyes glimmered in response. He looked absolutely adorable; I had to smile back at him.
He’s not so bad really, Jimmy. After seeing him so happy with his sister, I could hardly believe he was the same guy. I guess love does that to a person.
I made a small murmuring noise of agreement, although I struggled to imagine Jimmy acting as happy as Kougu made him sound. When we'd met he'd been very 'off' about me. A bit of a prat, yes, but I'd just thought that was him, how he'd grown up to be. When I'd seen him in the gallery, broken, with shoulders hunched in defeat, I'd realised something wasn't quite right. He'd never really been happy as such around me, even though I knew he cared, he was either angry or cruel. He showed kindness once in a while, getting medication for Mum when she'd got a drug addiction, buying me presents so I wouldn't leave him, giving me a hug every now and then. But he'd never ever been happy. It was just never something he was good at being.
Still, now he had Amelia things would hopefully be better. Antonio was dead, so he had nothing left to worry about. If the rest of his mates realised he'd not betrayed them then maybe they'd help him rebuild his house, or at least clean the graffiti off his front door.
I lifted my chin obediently as he tweaked, feeling a faint spark of surprise at the action. He seemed far more confident for some reason, not that I was going to complain. Once upon a time I'd struggle to get a hug out of him. Still, the new display of affection was heart-warming. I was beginning to enjoy this new Kougu.
Are you okay?” I realised my palms were still clammy from anxiety before and I was aware that my eyelids were dark and sunken from the lack of sleep that last night and tried to look 'okay'. Kougu took my hand and pressed it to his chest, and my fingers automatically curled around the material of his shirt. “I'm sorry I left you... You look quite shaken. Want some hot chocolate?
This surprised me. Since I'd met Kougu I'd never seen him make so much as a mug of hot water. I'd always been the one to make him something. What had happened?
I realised he was looking rather expectantly and blinked, shocked, trying to remember what I'd wanted to say.
“Um... Yes!” I said slightly too enthusiastically. “Yeah, okay.”
Hot chocolate. I'd always loved hot chocolate, it relaxed me no matter what state I was in.

When he went to boil the kettle I went to the front corridor to where a set of dusty book shelves sat, untouched, and began browsing. There weren't many books that were in English, and the majority of labels were also in another language. A Japanese-English dictionary was slotted in one of the corners. The language was obviously Japanese.
I remembered Kougu telling me his father had stayed in Tokyo for a while, which was probably why he'd had such an obsession with Japan and it's language. Kougu had also blurted a few foreign words before, calling his father 'Ottosoma' and getting on his knees and bowing to me when apologising like they probably did in that country.
Kougu knew Japanese, at least, it was most likely.
I picked up a book that looked much like an adult's story book, blew off the dust and studied the cover. I didn't understand the writing, nor the genre, but it looked like some sort of romance novel from the image of a man and woman pulling themselves into each other's arms on the cover. Satisfied, I went back to the kitchen and leant back on the counter, studying Kougu innocently.
“Kougu...” I asked, smiling slightly and playing with the book in my hands. “I'm feeling quite worn down, so I might go to bed and rest for a bit.” I took a step towards him and studied an invisible mark on his shirt. “Would you... Join me, for a bit? I mean, I've really missed you in the last few weeks, and I know we went to the park and all...” I shrugged. “It's just been a while since we've had so much time to ourselves, and snuggled.” I lifted the book and waved it calmly, raising my eyebrows with a little smile.
“Would you read to me? Please?”
I found his hand and laced his fingers with mine, inviting him to follow me to the room once my hot chocolate was made.
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:18 pm

Charlie stared at him for a long while in blank surprise before she replied, and in that time Kougu reverted to his usual timidity somewhat, blinking uncertainly at her as he awaited her response, and wondering if he had done something wrong.
Eventually, however, she accepted his offer of hot chocolate, and Kougu’s mind was laid at rest. Reassured, he nodded mutely, and slipped past her to head to the kitchen.
He busied himself for a while gathering milk, sugar and instant chocolate powder while the kettle boiled, and he was just mixing it all together in a mug for Charlie when she appeared in the doorway and trotted over to him, an old book grasped in her hands.
He turned to face her, and walked up to meet her, glancing curiously at the book she was holding. It was an old Japanese novel, one that he had never read.
“Kougu...” Charlie murmured, and Kougu looked up to meet her eyes, only to find her looking down at his shirt. “I'm feeling quite worn down, so I might go to bed and rest for a bit.”
He nodded, quietly accepting what he assumed was Charlie dismissing herself with subtle disappointment – but then she went on speaking, and Kougu realised that he had it slightly wrong…
“Would you... Join me, for a bit? I mean, I've really missed you in the last few weeks, and I know we went to the park and all... It's just been a while since we've had so much time to ourselves, and snuggled.”
Kougu straightened his shoulders and considered Charlie thoughtfully, unsure at first as to what he intended to say. He supposed there was no harm. He was becoming used to being close to Charlie, and he felt – for the first time in far, far too long – like he was truly in control of himself. There was no longer any excuse to push her away, so…
“I don’t see why not.” He replied, returning her smile carefully.
He watched her for a moment, then blinked in a disgruntled fashion as she waved the book in his face, and asked innocently, “Would you read to me? Please?”
He wordlessly took the book from her, exchanging it for the hot chocolate in his hand, and studied it curiously for a moment, flicking through a few pages.
The last time he had read out loud was when he had been trying to soothe his baby sister to sleep, far too many years ago. He remembered spending many sleepless nights sitting by her crib, reading fables and fairytales while her big blue eyes gazed adoringly up at him, always so trusting. Always so trusting, until that final moment. Too trusting, then.
He gripped the book tighter in his fingers, knuckles whitening slightly, but his face showed no change in emotion. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to read to Charlie, but he could never say no to her when she looked at him in that way.
Well… It was just a book. Just a story. Just a few spoken words… Where was the harm?

“Okay.” He answered at last, closing his fingers around the spine of the book, and letting it drop to his side. Charlie’s free hand found his, and he acquiesced to its pressure; walking obediently forward after her as she guided him to the bedroom.
He waited for her to get into bed, then tucked the covers snugly around her – caring as ever – and took a seat on the chair beside the bed. It seemed strange to think that just a few short days ago their roles had been reversed… So much had happened, it seemed like a lifetime since he had woken from the coma… But maybe that was because, to him, he had never been comatose in the first place.
He sat there in silence a moment longer, then simply flipped the book open and began to read. He spoke the words without hearing them, and though his gentle, storytelling voice was interrupted from time to time with a brief thoughtful pause, his translations were – for the most part – remarkably smooth. Then again, that was to be expected. His vast collection of knowledge and skills that meant absolutely nothing to him was absolute. What was more surprising was the fact that they could actually be put to such innocent use.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 23 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top