Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Polo and Dreameh's Medieval RP.

2 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Polo and Dreameh's Medieval RP. - Page 4 Empty Re: Polo and Dreameh's Medieval RP.

Post  Dreambug Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:10 am

Archer noticed his friend fidgeting with his coat, but momentarily ignored it to listen to the man's response. "It leaves at 6AM. Don't be late if you're going to come - I won't hold them up for your sake."
He nodded shakily. 6AM was fine. He'd be awake an hour or so before then usually, anyway.
To his surprise Derek pulled off the coat and offered it to Archer, who accepted it gratefully, and pulled it around itself. Immediately he felt a ghost of Derek's embrace, and without having any memory of thinking about it, inhaled his warm scent. Blushing when he comprehended his actions, and began walking. Derek's coat was much larger than his, as he was considerably less built than his friend. When the damp material of his clothes stuck to his skin, however, he realised he would have to take off all his shirts in order to warm up. Grumbling to himself, he began shrugging them off when Derek spoke again.
"It won't do to have you catching your death out here. Get those wet clothes off and put this on."
They met eyes, and although Derek's gaze was hard, Archer nodded gratefully to him. "Thank you." he muttered, shoving his wet clothes in Little Brother's saddle bag. Once he was done he quickly wrapped the coat around himself, and grabbed his pony's reins to keep him from stopping for grass again.
He had to jog to catch up with his friend, when he noticed a shadowed mark on Derek's left arm, the same side he wore his mask. He squinted at it, unable to tell of much in the dark, so he wasn't able to tell properly until he was right beside his friend.
What he saw then yanked his heart to his mouth.
All down Derek's arm , flattening what should have been rounded, smooth muscles, was a thick layer of scar tissue. It slithered up his arm, rough and uneven at an attempt to heal, and disappeared beneath his sleeveless shirt. Archer reached out, horrified, to touch it, but just as his fingertips trickled over his rough shoulder, he snatched them away again, as if burnt by the sensation. All he could think about was that all this time he'd been running, all this time thinking Derek was dead, he had been suffering with this horrific reminder of what he'd done wrong. What they'd done wrong.
"Wh-..." He began, but his voice came out as naught but a strangled whisper. "What did... Did that man do to you?" He murmured, almost too scared to find out.
All this time... All this time I thought you were dead.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Polo and Dreameh's Medieval RP. - Page 4 Empty Re: Polo and Dreameh's Medieval RP.

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:31 am

After putting on his coat, Archer soon caught up to Derek, and after a moment's walking, Derek heard his friend mutter an incoherent sound. He glanced curiously toward him, and was met by a shocked expression staring back at him. "What did... Did that man do to you?" Archer gasped, and Derek just blinked in surprise, glancing down at his arm. He had almost forgotten that he wore that coat for a reason... It was just as well Archer was the only one around to witness the shameful sight.
"Sorry." He apologized, tugging at his shirt as though attempting to cover the scars, even though he knew it was impossible. "It's a revolting sight, I know." Shrugging his shoulders, Derek shifted away, letting the gloom hide his scars, and only then did he properly register Archer's question.
"Wait..." He murmured, looking back at his friend with a frown, "You don't know? I just assumed..." He trailed off, shaking his head, and answered simply, "I was awarded a murderer's punishment. Bound by the hands, and dragged through the streets behind a horse."
It was odd, the way he described it, as though it didn't really matter, or he was not really concerned. It was like he was describing the fate of another.
"I ought to have died," He explained, shrugging, "But since I was just a boy, I wasn't heavy enough to cause such severe damage, and I survived, somehow. Most of me, anyway." He offered Archer a bitter smirk, then looked away, feeling rather ashamed. He loathed it when people looked upon his scars. And really, who could blame him? The reactions were always the same: Shock, horror, disgust... Frankly, it made Derek feel like a monster.
Polo trapped in an inkpot

Location : With the beast under your bed, in your closet, in your head...

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:09 am

William shook his head as his friend attempted to hide the scars. Derek was embarrassed, humiliated by them, yes, but William was more horrified to find out what had happened to his dearest friend. Whatever it was, to find out the Duke had done this to a twelve-year-old boy, was more horrifying than the scar itself.
He thought back to the kiss... That one moment when Will had been able to shut out the rest of the world, forget about the world they lived in and live in the moment, that blissful moment. That one handful of seconds when he could show his friend how much he loved him, without anyone else giving a damn.
But they had, hadn't they? Because Will and Derek's actions had been everyone's business, in the end.
"Wait... You don't know? I just assumed..." Will shook his head. Honestly, he'd been so scared for his own life that he'd run for the hills the minute he'd heard the screams. He'd been too terrified to find out what had happened to his friend that he feared the truth was worse than that in his head. "I was awarded a murderer's punishment. Bound by the hands, and dragged through the streets behind a horse."
William scrunched his eyes closed and looked away, exhaling through his teeth.
It shouldn't have happened, Derek. You didn't deserve this.
He remembered the screams then, carried through the wind for miles until it his his small ears. He remembered choking for oxygen as his legs stumbled in a blind panic forward, somewhere, anyway. All that time thinking he's going to do that to me... I'm going to die... His heart clenched at the memory of being so scared he wanted to curl up and cry until death took him before the Duke had the chance, when the whole time, only a mile or two away, his best friend was being tortured for something he'd not even done alone.
"But since I was just a boy, I wasn't heavy enough to cause such severe damage, and I survived, somehow. Most of me, anyway."
"Stop." He begged, for the second time that day. "Please..." He swallowed, shrinking back into his coat. His eyes glimmered with what might have been tears, but it was too dark to tell. "You-... You didn't deserve this. You have a life to lead, you..." He clenched his fist around his mount's reins, causing the pony to tense uneasily.
"Why didn't you let him kill me?" He asked quietly, glancing up at Derek with a pleading gaze. "I was nothing special, and I'm still not so. You don't deserve this burden."
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:24 am

When William told him to stop, Derek obeyed, glancing toward his friend. He thought, perhaps, that he saw a glint in the corner of the man's eye, but he put it down to a trick of the light. "You-... You didn't deserve this. You have a life to lead, you..." Will objected indignantly, breaking off after a moment, and adding quietly, "Why didn't you let him kill me? I was nothing special, and I'm still not so. You don't deserve this burden." Derek frowned at him, greatly taken aback by the question, and shook his head in disbelief. "How could I let you die for my mistake?" He asked simply, "Do you really think I could live with myself after that?" Derek frowned, shaking his head in answer to his own question. There was a moment of silence, then he looked back at Will, and his expression softened "Besides," He murmured gently, "You were special to me, Will." His lips curved into a subtle smile, and he added in a voice barely above a whisper, "You still are."
I may have forgotten it for a while, but it's true. Without you, I am nothing. To save your life, it was worth every second of the pain, just so I could see you again now.
Derek glanced away, somewhat embarrassed by his open sentimentality, and he cleared his throat awkwardly as he muttered, "Anyway, enough of this. It's behind us now." He flicked a hand dismissively, "Let's press on. I want to reach the inn before I get locked out and have to spend the night in a gutter."

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:00 pm

"How could I let you die for my mistake?"
William looked away, shaking his head. It hadn't only been Derek's mistake, but his as well. Besides, he'd only been a beggar boy. No one misses a beggar boy, do they? Especially not the Duke.
"Do you really think I could live with myself after that?" Derek paused to shake his head in response to his own question, then continued quietly. "You were special to me, Will."
William looked up, frowning slightly. 'Were'?
"You still are."
There was a hint of a smile in Derek's voice, and William watched him turn away with a look of longing on his face. Why? He wondered. After all I've caused you, why do you still give a damn about a petty thief like myself?
He simply couldn't understand it. Besides which, he didn't want to believe it. He'd been reminded time and time again that he was nothing but a filthy street rat, only alive to be pushed down and spat at. Yet this man... This brilliant, brave man had sacrificed so much for him?
"Anyway, enough of this. It's behind us now." Derek declared in a dignified fashion. "Let's press on. I want to reach the inn before I get locked out and have to spend the night in a gutter."
At this, Archer quickly snapped out of his trance, cleared his throat awkwardly, and forced the words to the back of his head. You were special to me... You still are...
"Come on," He smirked, "I've slept in worse." He teased light-heartedly. "Believe me, compared to many places, a gutter isn't too bad."
He clucked Little Brother on a little quicker.
"So... You know," he glanced at his friend with a look of interest. "We could just hitch a ride on my Little Brother, here," he jerked a thumb to the dun pony behind him. "He could carry us a short while, since he's made to pull two full grown stags up a mountain." He added, sounding strangely proud of his little horse.
No fancy thoroughbred type could do that, could they?
"I don't know about you, but my feet feel like wood right now."
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:38 pm

"Come on, I've slept in worse." Will teased, "Believe me, compared to many places, a gutter isn't too bad." "Easy for you to say." Derek grumbled, "I for one am rather fond of my comfort, and I'd rather not board my ship smelling like a drunkard's urine." With a sulky huff, he traipsed on for a moment, before Will stopped him by suggesting thoughtfully, "So... You know, we could just hitch a ride on my Little Brother, here. He could carry us a short while, since he's made to pull two full grown stags up a mountain." Derek's eyes darted to the pony, and he considered it with trepidation for a moment. "I don't know about you, but my feet feel like wood right now." Archer concluded, and Derek clenched his jaw thoughtfully, glancing at the pony one more time. Then it looked back at him, and he shuddered.
"No." He answered stiffly, "You ride if you like, but I'd rather walk." He shivered slightly, rubbing his arms, and raised his shoulders against the cold as he walked, missing his coat somewhat. It had been an eventful day, and he really wanted nothing more than to get back to the inn and collapse on the bed, albeit for just a few hours.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Archer raised an eyebrow, surprised at the look of uneasiness that washed over his friend, and it certainly wasn't the chill in the air that made him look like that. He glanced at the highland pony beside them, then away again.
"No, He said firmly, causing Archer to raise an eyebrow at him. "You ride if you like, but I'd rather walk."
"Suit yourself." Archer shrugged. Either way, he was getting on the horse. He vaulted onto the short, stumpy pony, gathered up his reins slightly - only enough so the idiot wouldn't trip over them - and squeezed him forward.
"You do realise the only reason I'm coming with you is to make sure bandits don't jump out and rob you." He teased, then noticed Derek shivering and his face fell guiltily. Poor man. He was always sacrificing things for his friend. Perhaps it were time soon to pay his friend back.

When they finally arrived at the edge of the woods, Archer dismounted and removed his coat, exposing his cold, bare chest. He tossed the coat at Derek, then scrabbled in his saddle bag for his crumpled, wet clothes. They were pulled on hesitantly, but he refused to accept the coat any longer, and then pulled out a large cloak that had been stuffed at the bottom of the saddle bag. It was open and poorly trapped his body heat, but it was better than nothing.
He turned to Derek. "What? You don't want to look like a fool." His lips twitched a shuddery smile. "Go on. I'll meet you in the morning."
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Derek trudged on through the woods, walking a safe distance from Will's pony, until at last they reached the edge. Cold and exhausted, he stopped when Will did, and cast his friend a questioning glance. Will dismounted, shrugged off Derek's coat, and tossed it to him. Derek caught it, and looked back at Will uncertainly.
"What? You don't want to look like a fool." He challenged, smiling slightly, "Go on. I'll meet you in the morning."
Derek considered him a moment longer, then offered a grateful nod, and slipped his coat back on, feeling instantly better.
"See you tomorrow." Derek replied, pulling the coat firmly around his cold shoulders, "And thank you once again for saving my life, Will. That..." He frowned, thinking back on that noose approaching his head, "...Was too close for comfort."
Swallowing anxiously, he shrugged it off, then waved his friend farewell before walking on toward the village. He had taken only a few steps when he suddenly stopped, looking back over his shoulder at Will.
"Hey," He called thoughtfully back to him, "Don't you want to come along to the inn? It's cold outside, and besides, at least then I can make sure you won't be late." He found himself smiling, and rubbed his cheek absentmindedly, rather amused by the ache in his muscles. He certainly had not been smiling much in the past twelve years...
"Come on." Derek encouraged, "I won't take no for an answer, William, so let's be on our way."
He nodded in the direction of the inn, then turned to walk towards it, his stride getting a little of its bounce back now that he was finally within reach of a good night's rest.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:14 pm

Archer saluted casually with two fingers to his temple as Derek bid farewell, and he was about to turn round when his friend said something else, a warmth to his tone that he'd been on and off for the entire evening. "And thank you once again for saving my life, Will. That..." They didn't need to repeat what he'd been talking about. "..Was too close for comfort."
"Don't mention it," Archer replied, watching his friend leave with a twinkle in his eye. "I was merely repaying a debt."
He raised his hand in a faint wave, but Derek was already heading into the village. Archer sighed and turned a few degrees, when the voice stopped him again.
"Don't you want to come along to the inn? It's cold outside, and besides, at least then I can make sure you won't be late."
"Derek," Archer chuckled, glancing down to his wet, shivering self. "I look like a drowned rat. They won't let me-"
"Come on. I won't take no for an answer, William, so let's be on our way."
Shrugging, Archer sighed. He wasn't going to argue against a warm room and a bed. Although he sometimes preferred the freedom of open surroundings, nothing did beat a warm fire and four walls to keep you safe. Hell, it almost reminded him of home.
Walking on obediently, he rubbed his mount's scruffy brow and led him to the stables, where he untacked him - for maybe the first time in a week - and scratched him down where the saddle had stuck to his sweaty back. Then he found Derek by the front of the building and followed him.
"Wow..." His eyes flicked warmly over the firm, solid walls and large, lit fireplace. "It's nice to see the inside of one of these. Normally I just wait outside for someone to steal from." He whispered cheekily.
After digesting the size of the building and as they were led to their room, Archer's eyes widened. "Are we sleeping in the same room?" He asked, horrified by the prospect. He didn't usually have such company for so long, maybe even not lady company, but he'd spent so much time alone he never slept near anyone else usually.
He gulped, and watched his friend for a reply.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:37 pm

The pair continued to the inn, and once inside, Derek stopped to allow Will to look around. "Wow..." He murmured, "It's nice to see the inside of one of these. Normally I just wait outside for someone to steal from." Derek frowned at the cheeky whisper, and grumbled irritably, "There will be none of that behaviour while in my presence, understood? I have a reputation to uphold, after all." With that, he nodded toward a nearby staircase, and headed upstairs to his room. When they reached it, William suddenly froze, and asked in sheer horror, "Are we sleeping in the same room?"
Derek narrowed his eyes, considering William's discomfort with vague irritation, and answered, "Perhaps I would have booked you a room of your own is somebody hadn't stolen my spending cash yesterday." He unlocked the door and pushed it open, revealing a cosy little room with two small beds and an elegant rug covering the wooden floor.
"Don't worry, I won't crawl into your bed and spoon you." Derek mocked sarcastically, flashing his friend a brief shadow of a smile. "Lighten up." He advised, "At least it's warm here."
He sat down on his bed, and bent down with a groan to remove his shoes. He slipped them off, and winced at the sight of the bleeding blisters on his heels. He had walked far too much that day, and a nobleman's shoes were seldom made for walking. "Oh god," He groaned quietly, "It's good to sit down at last..."

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:12 pm

Derek look faintly displeased at his reaction, and Archer soon held his tongue. It wasn't that this man was powerful at all, but he'd done so much for Archer already, it seemed impossible that he could do anymore.
"Perhaps I would have booked you a room of your own is somebody hadn't stolen my spending cash yesterday."
He couldn't help it, he smirked proudly at this. Very little did he boldly approach a man and threaten him for the rest of his money, but it seemed the previous day had been a fateful one for them both. Besides which, he'd done a pretty damn good job of stealing this man's cash, hadn't he? Even if he'd fallen in the sea, nearly lost his sword, and his life - twice - and after all that, the money had been given to him in the end. What a bizarre day.
But when Derek finally opened the door to their room, Archer's jaw dropped in awe. The room was simple, bigger than his entire home, yes, but it held nothing but a pair of beds, a rug, and a small fire place against one wall. So simple, yet luxurious to Archer. He fought the urge to run in and dive on one of the beds.
"Don't worry, I won't crawl into your bed and spoon you"
Archer's head snapped towards his friend, genuinely terrified for a moment, then his shoulders relaxed when they entered the room. Derek told him to calm down, and he did so, and wandered over to the spare bed. He kicked off his muddy shoes, then his shirts - which he left by the fire to dry - and his trousers, until he was left with a large pair of white undergarments. The bareness may have seemed crude, but he found it better to keep warm when he had less clothes on. ((He's been getting tips from Dane... O.o))
As soon as he was ready he dived under the covers and wrapped himself up tightly with them.
He murmured in faint agreement at Derek's comments, but he was only half listening. He'd not been in a bed this warm and comfy in far, far too long.
"I wish I could sleep in this room and never wake up." He muttered with a happy little smile, all dignity washed away the minute his basic needs were met. In all fairness, he'd missed having a roof over his head.
"Derek?" He whispered, cracking an eye open. "Thank you for this. I really appreciate it."
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:30 pm

It was just as well that Derek hadn't noticed Archer undressing, because if he had, he would probably have been furious. Luckily, as it was, he didn't look up until the man was already covered by a duvet, and when he did spare a glance for his friend, he was met by a grateful smile, and the words, "Derek? Thank you for this. I really appreciate it."
"Don't mention it." Derek replied, standing up to shrug off his coat, and hang it on the coat rack by the door. "Honestly, I'm just glad I got to see you again. I really never thought I would." He looked back at Will, and his expression softened.
After all these years, this man is still my closest friend. He's the one person that actually makes me feel like myself...
"I'm relieved to have you back in my life, Will." He admitted, pausing to shoot his friend a glance as he headed to the bathroom to change.
"I've been living between the lines for so long now," He sighed, "It's about time somebody got me to actually enjoy life again..." He trailed off, fell silent a moment, then added thoughtfully, "I'm sorry, I fear I'm being a little too open..." He cleared his throat awkwardly, "Forgive me, it's been a while since I've had any decent company to speak with."
Covering his shyness with a cough, he vanished into the bathroom, and returned a few moments later dressed in loose, comfortable clothes for sleeping.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:55 pm

"Don't mention it. Honestly, I'm just glad I got to see you again. I really never thought I would."
Archer's eyes opened willingly at this. He raised an eyebrow at his friend, surprised by his open honesty, and rolled onto his back so he was able to study his friend easier. "I'm relieved to have you back in my life, Will."
"Same here," Archer replied, faintly taken aback. He folded his arms behind his head, revealing just a touch of his lower neck and chest.
"I've been living between the lines for so long now. It's about time somebody got me to actually enjoy life again..."
Archer snorted. "Yeah, because you need it." He chuckled teasingly, wriggling deeper into the thick rugs that covered him "I told you. If you want to woo the ladies, you need to look like you're shitting a horse out of your arse all the time." He pulled a face at his own poor choice of words.
"I'm sorry, I fear I'm being a little too open. Forgive me, it's been a while since I've had any decent company to speak with."
Archer frowned. Since when was it 'too open' to tell a childhood friend you'd missed them?
But before he could object, Derek had disappeared to the bathroom, and Archer was left to ponder at the ceiling for a while. He thought through the day for what felt like the hundredth time, when his friend finally came back in his sleeping gear. Archer shot him a fond glance, then snuggled back in his covers when he felt himself get cold.
"You can speak with me whenever you wish, Derek." He raised his eyebrows at the man. "Were friends." He added, as if it needed emphasizing.
"I'll see you in the morn," He yawned, then rolled over so he was facing the opposite wall. Then he felt himself blush slightly as a smile pulled at his cheeks, and when he finally got to sleep the smile didn't leave his face.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:00 am

"You can speak with me whenever you wish, Derek. We're friends." Will said as Derek stepped back into the room, and he froze at the sound of the words, meeting his friend's gaze. After a moment, his expression softened, and he nodded gratefully, a smile pulling at his lips. "I'll remember that." He murmured, and as Will rolled over to go to sleep, he added quietly, "Thank you."
It's good to have a friend again...
Feeling considerably happier than he had in quite some time, Derek slipped into his bed, and lay down with his back facing Archer, staring at the wall. He could hear his friend breathing in the background, and after a few peaceful moments, he had closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep.

When the fist rays of pale dawn light seeped through the window, Derek woke instantly and sat up, rubbing the right side of his face with a low groan. "Get up, William." He ordered loudly as he forced himself to his feet, stretching his arms over his head, "We mustn't be late."
With that, he gathered some clean clothes for the day, and headed into the bathroom to change. Once he was dressed for the day in his usual nobleman's attire, Derek headed back into the room to grab his coat, which he donned regally.
"Are you ready?" He asked, casting his friend a sharp look, "The ship is due to leave in a half hour, you know."

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:20 am

Archer had not slept so well in years, and when the light began to shine faintly through the cabin windows he did not stir. Until, that is, his friend's firm voice cut him from his luxurious sleep. It wasn't exactly what he'd wanted to hear so early in the morning.
"Okay, okay." He grunted, although he didn't give any hint that he planned on getting up. "Give me a few moments."
When he heard Derek's footsteps disappear off to the bathroom, however, he snickered to himself and covered his face with the blankets. If he shut out the world it would cease to exist-
He glanced down over himself under the covers, realising to his annoyance that he was only wearing undergarments on his bottoms, and rolled his eyes. If Derek found out and caught him, he'd have all Hell to pay.
Groaning irritably he dragged himself out of bed and retrieved his clothes from the fireplace, then began to dress himself quickly. He was content to find his clothes were not warm and dry, and took a moment to enjoy the warm embrace he felt before his friend came out of the bathroom.
"Are you ready?" Derek asked, and Archer rolled his eyes, grabbing his scarves and began to wrap them around his neck. "The ship is due to leave in a half hour, you know."
"Yes, yes." He replied, yanking on his boots. "Relax, Derek. It won't vanish into thin air in the next few minutes, keep your hair on." He tied up the muddy laces of his boots and pulled on his hooded jumper, then pulled up the hood out of habit. He looked a bit too much like an outlaw, but he was sure if the worst came to it Derek would let him borrow some clothes.
"You're an insistent chap, aren't you?" He added with mock annoyance, then winked cheekily as he passed the man towards the door. He unhooked his cloak and pulled that on also, tying the string around his neck.
"Are you ready?" He teased, leaning against the door coolly.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:31 am

Derek just grumbled in response when Archer told him to relax, and just continued fretting while his friend finished getting ready. Derek was always punctual - it was just one of those things that, as a noble, he had to be. If he was ever even a little late, it threw him completely.
He was beginning to look quite uptight again by the time Archer met him at the door, commenting teasingly, "You're an insistent chap, aren't you? Are you ready?" With an annoyed huff, Derek rolled his eyes at his friend, and cuffed him on the back of the head as he passed, his lips pulled upwards in subtle amusement. He was not really angry - how could he stay angry with William?
"Shut up." He advised as he knocked the hood of Will's head, pulling the door shut behind them. "Come on, then. Let's catch our boat before it leaves without us. Don't embarrass me." He flashed Will a teasing wink, then strode on, his pack with all of his travel gear slung over his shoulder. He walked along placidly beside Will, glad to be together with his old friend, and once they were on their way to the docks, Derek gradually began to relax again. He was still not pleased about the trip, but he knew that he had to accept it. And in any case, he certainly was pleased that he would have Will for company. Perhaps he was still struggling to become accustomed to socializing with his old friend again, but he was happy about it, at least. That was worth something, right?

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:16 am

Archer just snickered deviously when he was cuffed on the back of the head, but he grunted in annoyance when he felt the hood get yanked off his head. He glowered at the man's cheeky expression, pulling the hood back up over his head with a mild huff.
He stepped out the door and watched the room with a look of longing as it was closed behind them. He just prayed the boat was as good as the inn itself. He was rather liking this new lifestyle.
"Shut up." Derek teased. "Come on, then. Let's catch our boat before it leaves without us. Don't embarrass me."
"You say it like I intend to." He muttered, smirking to himself. He knew what Derek meant. No acrobatics. No loud-mouthing. No sticking out from the crowd.
Wouldn't stop him from mixing with the lady-friends if he could, though.
Shrugging, he jogged over to the stables to tack up his horse, then led him over to the docks. It would cost extra to house Little Brother, but he used up less space than a usual horse, so Archer hoped that would show in the price.
Once they reached the docks Archer studied the ship curiously. It was large, probably had hundreds of rooms below the top deck, all of which had small, rounded windows. The sails were huge, so he guessed it was a powerful ship, and it would take some strong winds to get it moving.
"Say..." He scratched his stubbly chin thoughtfully. "Do we get room service on this thing? Because I would seriously kill for a leg of lamb."
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:00 pm

"Don't be greedy." Derek warned, shooting Archer a glance, "Or I'll think you're just here to sponge off me." He stopped, considering Archer, and added uncertainly, "You'd better not be, by the way. Because if I find out, I'll be more than a little annoyed..." He stared at his friend, then he seemed to remember who he was speaking to and what he was accusing him of, and he brushed it off with a shrug. He supposed it would still take a little while for him to accept that this outlaw who had already caused him so much trouble was also his closest childhood friend... It was as though he had two separate companions in Will and Archer, and though he trusted the one, he was still not too sure about the other. He supposed that Will probably felt the same way about him, given how he had changed...
Sighing, Derek cast aside his thoughts, and offered Will a tiny hint of a smile.
"Come on." He said, "I'm sure I could arrange a leg of lamb for you if I pull some strings, but for starters, let's get you and that thing," His hand flicked toward Little Brother, "On the boat." He looked around, and soon found the captain watching over the crew as they loaded all the cargo onto the ship. Leaving Will waiting for him, Derek approached the man, and with a short, official exchange of words, he had managed to arrange for Will and his mount to come along.
Walking back to his friend, Derek said simply, "It's sorted. You can give the horse to any of the crew, and they'll load him with the livestock."

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:32 pm

"Derek, really," Archer cocked his head to one side innocently, raising an eyebrow. "Would I put myself through all this just to take advantage of your wealth?" He pretended to look mildly annoyed, but they both knew the thought had probably occurred to him before.
He couldn't help it. He was hungry, since he hadn't eaten the previous day due to someone taking up his day, but he wasn't about to openly complain about that.
Derek urged him forwards. "I'm sure I could arrange a leg of lamb for you if I pull some strings, but for starters, let's get you and that thing," He gestured to Little Brother with some distaste, "On the boat."
Archer stood awkwardly by the docks as Derek disappeared to speak to the Captain, who shot Archer a strange look. Archer looked away, clenching his jaw uneasily. He knew people judged him all the time, but it would have been nice to get on a boat where people didn't know him and he didn't have to worry about them looking down on him.
Eventually Derek came back again and said, "It's sorted. You can give the horse to any of the crew, and they'll load him with the livestock."
"He has a name," Archer grumbled, rolling his eyes, but he nodded anyway and searched for someone who may have looked like a stable boy. He whistled him, and the boy - who must have been around fourteen - approached, looking faintly nervous. For a moment Archer didn't know why, until he realised he probably looked terrifying, especially being higher in authority. He didn't like the look of fear, though. His expression softened.
"Can you take this one to the stables, for me, boy?" The boy nodded, taking the reins obediently. Archer smiled at him, then added, "Untack him and give him some feed, will you? I'll come down later and give him a brush down."
"Yes, sir."
"Good lad." He praised quietly, then flicked a single coin into the boy's hand. It wasn't much. Perhaps enough for a bite of bread, but the boy looked pleased with it, anyway. He grinned, then disappeared with Little Brother to the stables.
Archer hooked his thumb through his belt proudly, and observed the scene.
"I have to admit," he murmured in Derek's ear. "I'm rather enjoying playing 'nobleman' for a day. Or two. Or three. Hell, let's make it lifestyle choice." He chuckled, observing the crew as they prepared to depart from land.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Derek watched Archer's interaction with the stable boy, arms folded and eyes sharp. He had to admit, he was impressed by the kindness the man showed. For all of the flaws that he had accumulated over the years, William's kind heart still remained perfectly intact. Nodding in brief approval, Derek turned his back on the scene, only to glance back when he heard his friend begin to speak. "I have to admit," He murmured, lips uncomfortably close to Derek's ear, "I'm rather enjoying playing 'nobleman' for a day. Or two. Or three. Hell, let's make it lifestyle choice."
Grunting irritably, he jerked his head away from the unwelcome sensation of his friend's breath on his cheek, then smoothed his hair in a dignified fashion as he responded, "You ought to be careful what you wish for, William. It's not all respect and riches, you know..." He sighed heavily, shaking his head, then gave his friend a brief shove between the shoulders.
"Come," He said, "We'd best board before this authority goes to your head. You'll want to settle the horse too, I imagine." He nodded to where Little Brother had vanished up the ship's loading ramp, then strode off toward the ship with a swish of his coat.

The ship was made from sturdy wooden planks, and it heaved to and fro slightly with the ebb and flow of the side. Derek, obviously well used to the motion, walked smartly along the polished deck, and made polite conversation with a few of the higher-ups in the crew, making sure that everything was ready for sail. Once he was content, he waved William over, and headed over to his quarters.
"You'll have to share with me," He informed his friend as he opened the door, "Or sleep with the crew down below. The rooms are expensive, and I did not bring enough money to be paying for the both of us." He pushed his way into the room, and deposited his pack beside the bed, quickly investigating his quarters. The room was large, with a bunkbed in one corner, a dresser in another, and a small bathroom off to the side.
"They've outdone themselves." Derek mused as he looked up at a decorative painting on the wall, "This isn't bad at all." He nodded in approval, then turned to Will with an eyebrow raised.
"What's it to be?" He asked, "Shall I show you below deck?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Archer shrugged off his friend's comment. Really, to him, the wealth was all that mattered to him. With money like this he wouldn't have to worry about breaking the law to get his next meal, or threatening people, and he'd be able to have all the dames he wanted without having to worry about their fathers killing him. ((Go screw yourself, Archer. -_- )) Personally, he couldn't think of anything better.
He grunted as he was shoved forward, and shot his friend an annoyed glare. "We'd best board before this authority goes to your head. You'll want to settle the horse too, I imagine."
"He has a ruddy name." He grumbled for the second time that day, rolling his eyes, and headed obediently off to the stabled to tend to his horse. Not that he didn't trust the stable boy, but he knew that pony could be a handful if he was stressed, especially the strangers.

After he'd tended to Little Brother and shared conversation with the other stable boy caring for the livestock, he climbed back to the top deck to meet up with Derek again. He made an emergency check to make sure his boots didn't carry any manure, then followed Derek proudly to their quarters.
"You'll have to share with me," Derek told him as they reached the room. "Or sleep with the crew down below. The rooms are expensive, and I did not bring enough money to be paying for the both of us."
Grumbling, Archer wandered into the room and glanced around. It was huge, but there wasn't very much in it. It could have housed three families at a squeeze, he imagined. Behind him Derek was muttering things in approval, but Archer was just glad it wasn't made of straw and didn't seem to have rats scuttling around their feet. The portrait on the wall was slightly unnerving, though.
He was about to kick off his shoes, when Derek turned and asked him seriously, "What's it to be? Shall I show you below deck?"
He narrowed his eyes. "Don't patronise me, Derek." He unlaced his boots, then climbed loudly onto the top bunk bed, immediately claiming it by ruffling up all the covers. He wasn't sparing any moments to let Derek be any higher in authority to him.
"This will do." He nodded in approval, although he could feel himself grinning. He swung his legs over the bottom bunk like an excitable child, leaning back on the mattress. "Can I have some lamb now?" He brought a finger thoughtfully to his chin. "Actually, no. Can I have beef? Or pig?" He closed his eyes and murmured something hungrily. "Ohh, I'd like that. Very much."
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Derek folded his arms, and watched with cool disapproval while Archer messed around on the bed. ((Don't even think it, buddy. Razz )) It was clear that he was back in his authoritative state, because the porcelain was not the only mask covering his face. When Archer began prattling on about food, Derek narrowed his eyes, displeased, and replied with a sigh, "It's still morning, Will, and the ship has yet to leave. I suppose they'll serve breakfast once it does, but you won't be getting any of that until at least lunch."
He rubbed his face wearily, then walked over to the window of their little cabin, and stared out over the docks outside, the blue sea gently tossing the tied boats back and forth beside the jetty.
"Are you really so hungry?" Derek asked at last, looking back at his friend with a frown of concern, "Because if you can't wait, we could try to quickly find something to buy in the village. We still have ten minutes before the ship embarks..." He gnawed absentmindedly on the inside of his cheek, looking rather stressed.
"Make up your mind," He warned, "'Cause if we're going to get off the ship, we'll have to make haste. I don't want to keep these good men waiting."

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:27 pm

((*snickers*))

Archer rolled his eyes at Derek's expression. Honestly, he couldn't comprehend why that man was so... Serious all the time. They were on the boat, now. What was he so stressed about?
"It's still morning, Will, and the ship has yet to leave. I suppose they'll serve breakfast once it does, but you won't be getting any of that until at least lunch."
He pouted his lower lip. That was a depressing thought.
"Are you really so hungry?" Derek asked, looking mildly concerned. Archer frowned at him. Would he be whining like a starving baby if he weren't hungry? ""Because if you can't wait, we could try to quickly find something to buy in the village. We still have ten minutes before the ship embarks..." He trailed off, looking rather stressed, then added firmly, "Make up your mind. 'Cause if we're going to get off the ship, we'll have to make haste. I don't want to keep these good men waiting."
Sighing, Archer leant back on his bed and laced his fingers over his stomach, staring at the ceiling. "Relax, Derek, relax." He urged quietly, caressing his hollow stomach. "I won't waste away by lunch time. I just... Didn't eat yesterday." He frowned slightly at this, looking mildly ashamed, then added, "That money you gave me, it-... I didn't spend a penny of it." He cocked his head to one side. "I nearly did, yes, but I gave it away before I gave myself the chance."
He sat up, pulled his cloak off gingerly and raked a hand through his messy hair. "But anyway..." He then clapped, rubbing his hands together eagerly. "We're on a ship, right? Well, then. I think I can feel a song coming on." He teased, his eyes widening excitedly as he awaited Derek's reaction.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:49 pm

"Relax, Derek, relax." Archer encouraged, and Derek glanced away, scratching his head awkwardly. He did not 'relax' particularly often. It was rather difficult for him, given that he was forever on the run... "I won't waste away by lunch time. I just... Didn't eat yesterday." Archer admitted, and Derek shot him a sharp glance. He had given that man plenty of money the previous day, so why-
But then Archer went on to explain, and Derek felt his expression soften as new respect for his old friend bloomed in his chest.
You really are a kind man, Will.
He looked back at his friend, just as the other man sat on the bed, and clapped his hands together eagerly. "But anyway..." He began, changing the subject, "We're on a ship, right? Well, then. I think I can feel a song coming on."
"Oh God!" Derek exclaimed in horror, an amused chuckle escaping under his breath, "If you expect me to sing, you'd better be kidding. I'd die from shame." He smiled at his friend, then shook his head, and turned around to pull the door to their cabin closed behind him. It couldn't hurt to take a little time for himself, could it?
Spirits lightened somewhat by Will's eagerness, Derek walked over to the bed and hoisted himself up to sit beside Archer, staring curiously over the room from his new vantage point.
"Don't you dare sing." He warned, flicking a scolding finger at his friend, "Or I'll pretend I don't know you for the rest of the voyage." He flashed a teasing smile, and elbowed Will in the ribs, finally starting to lighten up again.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:13 pm

Archer was glad when he saw that marvellous smile tug his friend's lips again. For a brief moment, he thought he'd lost it. If he'd not seen it just then, he may have got up and tried going looking for it.
"If you expect me to sing, you'd better be kidding. I'd die from shame." Was Derek's excuse. Archer snorted at him. That was certainly nonsensical, and a poor excuse. They did it all the time in the Highlands, didn't they? Or maybe Derek had never been to the Highlands, but still...
The moment Derek closed the door to the cabin, they both seemed to relax completely. Finally, secure by four thick walls, they didn't have to worry about creating an image, anymore. They could just be the two friends they'd always been.
Derek then strolled across the room and climbed up onto the top bunk, and Archer felt a strange heat rush to his cheeks at the closeness. He dismissed it as the warmth of the room, however, and shifted onto the flat pillow to give himself a more comfortable seat. "Don't you dare sing." Derek scolded. Archer glanced questioningly down at the finger being wagged in his face, and raised an eyebrow. What was he, a child?
"Or I'll pretend I don't know you for the rest of the voyage."
"Well that certainly wouldn't work," He told the man innocently. "Seen as we're sharing a room." He gestured to their dormitory, as if to emphasise. "You certainly wouldn't fool anyone, Derek." He teased, just as he was elbowed in the side. He shot the man a surprised look, then his eyes noticed that same, cheerful smile he'd missed so dearly, and chuckled himself. Nothing could beat putting a smile on a man's face like that, really.
"All right, well, if you're going to be pompous about the singing, then..." He tapped his chin thoughtfully, then grabbed his saddle back enthusiastically. "Then I'll just have to play you a tune." With that he pulled open the flap and retrieved a small whistle from the tiny pocket in the back.
"I found this in the North. Not too far from where I got Little Brother, actually." He played a note, then pulled a face and adjusted the wooden mouthpiece. "It took me weeks to figure out how to play it, mind you." He played the note again, seemingly satisfied this time, then placed his fingers over the appropriate holes. Then, with a mild warning glare, he added, "Don't laugh."
With that he took a breath, closed his eyes, and began to play.

He was not a perfect musician, as the notes did not play with a subtle vibrato nor did he play every note in tune. However, his soft breath whispered through the mouth piece delicately, and he played with a gentle crescendo as the notes crawled up the octaves, and trickled down in a diminuendo like a dying bird song. The tune was nothing complicated, it seemed almost hopeful at first, like a new beginning, until it finally ended on a mellow minor key on the last note.
He lowered the whistle to his lap, smiling slightly at it, cheeks flushed in embarrassment. He didn't usually reveal this side to anyone else, other than the children, of course. But he wasn't used to playing in front of an audience, usually. Still, Derek was his friend. There was nothing to be ashamed of with him around.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next