In Time RP (Polo!)

Page 6 of 27 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 27  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: In Time RP (Polo!)

Post  Dreambug on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Toby could see the blurry silhouettes of the smart, newly-waxed cars outside the bar, and felt himself tense. This is it, he thought with a shaky breath. I just hope I can play it cool... How would an innocent man react to this? Angry? I can play angry. It may get me shot, though, if I'm not careful...
He clenched his jaw at the thought. No matter what they tried on him, he couldn't get shot. Te trauma itself would be enough to kill him psychologically. He didn't ever want to get to that state.
Tobias Cardwell?” He lifted his head, frowning at the badge that was being waved in his face. “We've got some questions to ask you, regarding a man called Byron Willoughy. Mind taking a trip downtown with me?
He was about to reply snidely, 'Is that an request or an order?' He could tell the few customers in the bar were shooting dirty looks at the Timekeepers. No one liked them, especially in Dayton. They always stirred trouble somehow. But when Toby snook a glance down by another Timekeeper's belt and noticed the handle of a rather powerful-looking handgun, he felt his heart leap up into his mouth. Even the sight of one of those was enough to make him want to vomit.
His eyes narrowed, and he glanced back up to the Chief, leaning over the counter as he usually did when he was chatting with one of his customers.
The Chief started reciting the script for an arrest, and Toby straightened up defensively, his eyes flicking between each Timekeeper. He could see them judging him with their sickeningly smug little faces, thinking they were about to arrest a criminal they'd been chasing for years.
One of the officers cut in part way through the Chief's speech. “We know what you did, Byron.” He took a step forward. By the snobby way he held himself and stuck his nose up at the others around him caused Toby to believe he, in fact, was the infamous 'Paisley'. “Just why do you wear those arm warmers, huh? Trying to hide the life you stole?” He spat viciously on the mahogany where Toby had just been leaning. “Dispicable!
Toby opened his mouth to spit back a reply, like any innocent man would, but the Chief stopped him, shooting him a warning look. Toby noted the handcuffs in his hand. He gulped nervously.
Right. He needed to get his act together. An innocent man would not stand for this.
“I apologise,” he growled sarcastically. “I was unaware that it was unlawful for a man to want to keep his Time to himself.” He leant back over the counter, shooting each man an angry look. Who the Hell is this Byron Willoughby, anyway?” He shook his head. “Is that all the evidence you have?” He snarled, his lip curled in disgust. “The fact that I like to wear arm warmers?” Shaking his head in disbelief he took a step back. “Well, if you must know, I wear them to keep my arms warm. Shockingly. We don't have central heating here, it gets cold from time to time. But I wouldn't expect you lot to understand.” He shot the handcuffs a look of disgust. “You can keep those. I'm not coming with you if that's all you have to go by. Do you really think you can come here to my work place and, what, accuse me of murder? Go screw yourselves.” He spat aggressively.
“Greetings, gents.” Dan jeered light-heartedly, strolling into the room. “Lost something, have we?”
Obviously he knew that the Timekeepers usually stirred more trouble than they resolved, and even he had a careful glint in his eye. He saw Toby, who looked genuinely angry, then at the hand cuffs in the Chief's hand. His eyes narrowed. “You'd better have a damned good reason for coming in here with those, Inspector.” He wandered round to one of the members and crossed his arms, glaring at the Timekeeper with a challenging glare. “I hope you have a valid warrant for this.”
Toby's eyes flashed. The last thing he needed was for his boss to see what he was being accused of.
“It's fine, boss.” He murmured carefully. “Just a misunderstanding.”
“It'd better be.” Dan raised his eyebrows. “If I have to close my pub early because you've arrested my best employee, I'll sue you.”
Toby resisted the urge to smirk. Dan had some serious balls.
Straightening up he looked his antagonist right in the eye, his shocking, green eyes flashing angrily.
They know... His conscience screamed at him. They know everything... But an innocent man would do this, wouldn't he? Once I see a warrant, then I'll go with them. They might be a bit rougher with me now, but... First impression is key. I've learnt that over the years, at least.
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:16 pm

When Toby started to object, and sarcastically at that, Paisley stormed forward, slamming his gun down on the counter. "Why you little-"
"Paisley!" He flinched at The Chief's harsh shout, and cast him an angry glare through narrowed eyes, "No, Chief, for f*ck's sake! He killed an innocent man, he lied, he stole, he cause us hell - HELL - for years!" The man's voice was rising toward hysteria, "Do you expect me to just stand for this f*cking disrespect? He's the scum of the earth!" Grabbing his gun, Paisley slammed it against Toby's neck, jamming the point between his jaw and his throat, "D'you hear that, Willoughby?" He raged furiously, "We know what you've done! You can't f*cking hide any more, and you sure as hell can't run. This is the end, now get over here before I blow your f*cking-"
"PAISLEY! Control yourself!" The anger in the Chief's voice stilled Paisley's tongue, but he kept his gun trained on Toby's throat for a long moment before finally, with a frustrated hiss, he pulled back, shooting a mutinous glare at the Chief.
He was about to object further, but at that moment, Dan stepped in, and both Timekeepers tensed when he greeted casually, “Greetings, gents. Lost something, have we?" Paisley muttered something under his breath about losing his patience, but aside from that, nobody responded, "You'd better have a damned good reason for coming in here with those, Inspector. I hope you have a valid warrant for this.”
"That I do." The Chief informed Dan coldly, reaching into a pocket of his coat to reveal a warrant for arrest, "Not that a criminal of his," He flicked a hand at Toby, "Caliber needs one. He knows damn well why we're here." The Chief's eyes narrowed, "Don't you, Byron?"
He was offered no response, and when Toby turned to speak to Dan, the chief's temper shortened. When Dan threatened to sue him, it snapped.
"You'd do well to remember the power I hold here, Dan!" He threatened, voice rising, "Stand down, or I'll have you charged with aiding and abetting a criminal. As for you..." He turned back to Toby, eyes narrowing, when something caught his attention.
Green eyes? Strange, I was sure Byron's were blue... His attention wavered, and at that point, Paisley stepped in again.
"As for you," He sneered, picking up where his boss left off, "If you don't come out from behind that f*cking counter right now, 'Tobias', we'll just skip our trip downtown, and kill you right here." He smirked evilly, "Your rights mean nothing against my evidence." Grabbing Toby's collar, Paisley jerked him forward, clutching him so close that his sweet, cigar-scented breath wafted over his face. "You're damn lucky I haven't shot you already for the trouble you've caused us-"
He broke off again when the Chief's heavy hand fell on his arm, and glanced up to see suspicion in his boss's gaze.
"Mister Cardwell," The Chief said officially, "If you are innocent, then you should have no problem coming down to the station with us to answer a few questions, am I right?"
He let himself into the section behind the bar, and nodded to Paisley, who grabbed Toby's hair roughly, slamming his face into the counter as he forced him to bend over. Casting his subordinate a scolding glance for his roughness, the Chief fastened his handcuffs around Toby's wrists, held behind his back, then allowed Paisley to take control of him as he turned to go.
"Come along, Cardwell." He grunted, "You've been running long enough. This is game over."

Meanwhile, back at the station, Griffin was just putting the finishing touches on the false evidence when he heard that the others were on their way, having apprehended the criminal. He gave everything a final check, then raced out to his car, and waited to be called.
Sure enough, a few minute's later, his phone rang, and his boss's voice crackled into life at the other end of the line.
"Everett?" He said gruffly, "Come down to the station. We'll need you for this investigation." He smiled at the stress in his boss's voice, "Did Paisley do a good job, sir?" He asked innocently.
"Just shut up and get down here, Griffin."
"So he put his foot in it, then?"
There was a click on the other end of the line, then silence. Griffin snickered and, smirking to himself, turned to his smartphone to complete a game of angry birds before re-entering the station.
Polo trapped in an inkpot

Location : With the beast under your bed, in your closet, in your head...

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:03 pm

To all of their surprise Dan didn't shrink away or flinch at the Chief's outburst. He only glared at the man, his shoulders square, and raised an eyebrow challengingly. However, despite his stance, he ended up glancing over at Toby with a faint look of apology. Bless him... They had been very close in the last few months, but even Dan couldn't perform a miracle when it came to the law.
He raised his hands in mock-defeat and stepped back, as if leaving the group to do what they wished. He obviously trusted Toby was innocent, but he wasn't about to risk his entire business for one incident.
Toby nodded respectfully. At least he'd tried.
He turned to the speaker when he heard someone addressing him, and curled his lip in disgust when Paisley appeared again, his eyes flashing. Toby was more conscious of him now after having a gun tip half-choking him, but the space behind the counter was narrow. He didn't really have much to back away to.
He clenched his fists and flexed them again, willing himself to calm down. But having a gun at his throat had shaken him, and Paisley could sense that. They were like nightmares to him, preying on the fear of others.
But despite this, he felt a sick joy at the anger he'd caused all these Timekeepers. It was good that he'd caused them Hell. At least, for once, he'd got them sweating. And if this went well, they'd be sweating a whole lot more.
If you don't come out from behind that f*cking counter right now, 'Tobias', we'll just skip our trip downtown, and kill you right here.” Toby clenched his jaw. They wouldn't do that he tried to convince himself, but the words sounded like a false hope in his head. Griff had said they couldn't, by law, unless he became a danger to them. But he'd also warned Tobias to steer clear of Paisley, which he hadn't managed to do. This Timekeeper would kill him, if riled up enough. “Your rights mean nothing against my evidence.
Toby hissed in a breath as he was jerked forward over the counter, bracing himself with his hands clutched over the edge of the dirty mahogany. He turned his head to the side, grimacing to keep himself from inhaling the sickly stench of Paisley's breath. Thankfully the Chief managed to overt Paisley's attention from killing him on the spot. Unfortunately his hope was short-lived.
He knew what the Chief was going to do when he entered the space behind the till, and he was jst about to give in, when a hand yanked his hair and shoved his face unceremoniously against the counter. He yelped in pain as he felt his teeth dig onto the inside of his lip, then a metallic taste ran into his mouth. By the time he was allowed to straighten up again his hands were locked behind his back, and half his face was sore from what would probably be a bruise in the morning.
“You bastard...” He croaked, dabbing his lip carefully with his tongue. Bust. Definitely bust. “That f*cking hurt!”
But they had no interest in him anymore. He was tugged out from behind the counter by the Chief and handed over to Paisley. As if he hadn't suffered enough.
“When I prove my innocence, you'd better pay back the Time I'll have lost.” He growled, but Paisley was already having none of it. He yanked Toby's arms upwards so sharply he felt pins and needles in his hands before he had the chance to bend over in order to ease the pain. He let out a surprised cry and arched his back against the pain, hissing in a breath. By the time he had found it in him to make another remark they'd reached the car. His head was shoved downwards and he was shoved into the back seat.
You'd better know what you're doing, Griff. He thought with a wince, trying his best not to vomit at the amount of blood he could taste on his tongue.

An hour later and he had been sat in the interrogation room for at least forty, handcuffed to a bar in the middle of a steel table, sat on an incredibly uncomfortable fold-up chair.
When the Chief entered the room Toby glowered at him. His insides were clenching, preparing for anything they were about to throw at him. But he had to remember his act.
“Remind me why I've been brought here.” He rolled his eyes, clenching one fist under the table to hide his nerves. “And why the Hell I have a bruise on my face.” Releasing an exasperated sigh he sat forward, secretly relishing the feeling of blood pumping to his backside, where it had been deprived. “Do you want to see my Time? Is that what this is about? You know what-... I'll save you the trouble. Here.” He tugged off the arm warmer covering his Time, leaving it to dangle around the chain of his handcuffs. Just under a year glowed in simple, numerical digits. He was suddenly glad he had taken most of it away back in his lair.
“Happy?” He snapped.
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:55 pm

"As if that proves anything!" Paisley snapped angrily, his face red from frustration, and his hair falling out of its carefully gelled style, "You lying creep - you've probably just stored it away somewhere. Maybe back at that filthy bar? I think we should give old Dan a call." A mean sneer twisted his lips, and the Chief shot him a glare. "Paisley," He said coldly, "Get out."
"Boss-"
"Get. Out. Everett is coming."
"Everett?!"
Ignoring Paisely's indignant voice, then Chief jabbed a finger sharply toward the door, and the younger officer slunk out, pouting miserably with the humiliation of his failure. They had been sitting in that hot, stuffy room for forty minutes, interrogating a man that he'd had enough evidence to lock up a million times over, and suddenly none of the pieces seemed to fit. Paisley just didn't understand it. This time, he'd thought for sure that he'd had it... But the fingerprints didn't match, the evidence was flawed, and even Tobias's eyes were the wrong colour. Between Byron Willoughy's crimes and Toby's, all that remained was a vague similarity in the features of the two. Even so, Paisley knew in his gut that he was right, but what good was that, when the Chief refused to believe him?
Cursing under his breath, he shouldered his way roughly through the door, and found Griffin Everett - the detective wunderkind - standing there, a fist poised to knock.
"'Evening, Paisley." He greeted cheerfully, "Accusation not working out again?"
"You bastard!" Paisley hissed, his voice dangerously soft. Anger flared in his meaty chest as he grabbed Griffin roughly by the collar, and slammed him back against the wall so hard that he heard the man's teeth click together, and his glasses fell from his nose to land on the floor with a quiet tinkle.
"Did you think I wouldn't notice?" He demanded, his strong fist shaking with fury as it clenched Griffin's collar tightly, cutting off his breathing. He heard Griffin gasp, feeling the man's dainty fingers scrabble weakly at his hand. Smirking cruelly, he raised his arm, bearing most of the man's modest weight in his arm. Griffin stood on his toes, clutching to his hand like a lifeline. Paisley felt a cold sense of satisfaction run through him at the sight of his rival at his mercy, and at last, he released him.
"I know that you meddled with my evidence, Griffin." He murmured softly, eyes narrowing at the coughing man doubled over before him.
"Yeah?" Griffin asked, raising his head to glare at Paisley with eyes teary and bloodshot from chocking, "Where's your proof, Paisley?"
"You punk!" He shoved the smaller man roughly, and Griffin stumbled backwards, toppling over to land on his bum on the floor. "Since the day you got here," Paisley snarled, "You've been a royal pain in my ass! These other idiots might sing your praises, Everett, but not me!" He jabbed a thumb toward himself, puffing out his chest like a Gorilla, "I see right through you, and you're f*cking rotten to the core! Once a ghetto rat," He spat, "Always a rat."
"I don't know what you're talking about-" Griffin began objecting, but Paisley silenced him with an angry kick to the ribs.
"You disgust me." He snarled, "Mark my words, Everett, I'll find out how you did this, and I'll find out how to prove it." His eyes narrowed, "And when I do, all Hell is going to rain down on you. You may be able to fool old Chiefy," He jabbed a thumb over his shoulder, "But I call your bluff. That innocent poker face isn't going to work on me."
With that, he spun around and stormed off, leaving Griffin curled up on the floor, twitching and coughing painfully as he clutched his side.

For a long time Griffin lay there - hoping to God that the pain he could feel in his side was a bruise and not a broken rib - until at last his breath began to come easily again. Drawing in a trembling gasp, he sat slowly upright, then picked up his glasses in shaky fingers and slipped them onto his face. Fixing his hair and straightening his collar, he pressed a hand against the wall for support, and slowly lifted himself to his feet. A lump of panic had inflated in his throat, and frankly, he felt like he wanted to cry. Paisley was a meat head, but he was dangerous, and when he threw a temper tantrum like the one he just had, Paisley scared him.
And now I've made an enemy of him...
Swallowing anxiously, Griffin took a deep breath to steady himself, and tottered timidly toward the interrogation room, his knuckled strained white where his clenched fist clasped the handle of his briefcase.
With a gentle knock, he stepped into the room, and the Chief looked up to greet him.
"You look like shit." The man informed him bluntly, and Griffin rubbed his hair in a self conscious fashion.
"Sorry for calling you in when you're ill." the Chief grumbled reluctantly, "But as you can see, we've got a bit of a..." He glanced toward Toby, "'Situation' here..."
"It's okay."
Forcing a smile from his shaky lips, Griffin approached the interrogation table, and set out his briefcase.
"How's it going?" He asked Toby, offering a friendly greeting as he sat across from him. The fact that the Chief didn't react to this clearly showed that this was how Griffin treated most strangers.
"This is a lie detector." He explained, opening his briefcase to reveal a strange-looking machine, much like a heart monitor, with a multitude of cables extending from it.
"Don't worry, it won't shock you of anything." He promised, quickly untangling the cables, and starting to fasten them to specific points on Toby's body, "It's just to measure your heart and breathing patterns as we ask you a few questions, that way we'll be able to prove that you're innocent, and you can head on home." He flashed an encouraging smile, and ignored the Chief scowling behind him as he muttered, "Everett, I shouldn't have to remind you that this man is our key suspect. All the evidence points to-"
"Nothing." Griffin filled in, shooting the Chief a smile over his shoulder, "I looked over it. Paisley's been clutching at straws again. You know how he gets." The Chief sighed and nodded, then sat down in the corner, rubbing his face wearily while he left Griffin to his work. He seemed to have given up already.
"Okay, Mister Cardwell." Griff looked at his friend, flashing a subtle wink, "Can you please answer 'yes' to all of the following questions?"

Several questions (some of them wildly inappropriate and totally off topic) later, the Chief was finally forced to concede Toby's innocence, and released him with a full pardon and an apology for the inconvenience. Then, stung and humiliated by his failure, he left Griffin to see the man out of the station while he went home to take his frustrations out on his wife. Griffin knew well about his boss's home life, mostly because the man's wife had taken to sending him regular emails talking about her troubled home life - many of them with compromising pictures attached. Griffin had no intention of having an affair with his boss's wife, of course, but it amused him, so he didn't bother trying to put an end to it.
Packing up his machine, he turned to Toby, the colour back in his face now after the memory of his run-in with Paisley had worn off.
"It got quite late, didn't it?" He commented casually, casting a glance at his watch. It was after 1AM.
"There aren't any trains at this time, and I don't really want to drive around in the ghetto at night." He shuddered at the thought, then walked around and unlocked Toby's handcuffs, helping the man to his feet with a warm hand.
"Want to stay over at my place for the night?" He offered, poking absentmindedly at his friend's bruised face, "It's kind of a mess, but I've got a couch fit for a king. And some frozen peas." He poked Toby's face again, then winked, and picked up his heavy briefcase as he headed for the door, "Come along, Superman. Let's go celebrate your innocence, shall we?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Toby didn't flinch when Paisley snapped at him, but at the mention of Dan his eyes narrowed. This was the exact reason why he'd not wanted to make any friends to drag into his life as a wanted criminal, but Dan had insisted. He was too friendly a person to resist, anyway.
That is why, when Paisley made that subtle little remark about 'paying him a visit', Toby had to clench his fists around the bar attached to his hand cuffs to keep from jumping up at the man. Griff had been right. That bastard was bad news. Toby had the bruised face to prove it.
Thankfully, it seemed the Chief was against his idea of interrogating Dan, and threw Paisley out with a sharp order. Toby had to hide the smirk from his face. At least Paisley bowed to someone.
Toby shot the Chief a mildly annoyed look and sucked in a breath. He had a feeling he'd be there a while.

After another hour of constant questioning and accusatory words being snapped in his ear, Griff finally made an entrance. Toby wondered what the Hell had taken him so long – since he was supposed to have been in the office the whole time – but he decided not to push his luck. Both he and the Chief were sick enough of each other as it was, and besides... Griff looked troubled by something. In fact, he looked faintly ill. Enough to shrink away when his Chief addressed him, at least. Toby frowned at him, almost concerned, then seemed to realise his role and narrowed his eyes in determination.
When Griff greeted him he just kept his lips straight, hoping the Chief didn't notice the release of tension from his shoulders at the sight of his friend. Here he was, chained to a table in the lion's den, but at the sight of Griff he was almost completely relaxed. He wasn't even out of the woods, yet.
He noticed the strange machine Griff was setting up, and raised an eyebrow.
Don't worry, it won't shock you of anything.
Toby scowled at him.
"It's just to measure your heart and breathing patterns as we ask you a few questions, that way we'll be able to prove that you're innocent, and you can head on home.
Funny... Griff was talking to him almost like they were openly friends. But according to the Chief's reaction this was completely normal to him. Releasing a sigh Toby uncrossed his arms, leaving Griff to stick the small disks on his skin and attach them to the machine. At least he was a good liar, even if the machine had been rigged. He just hoped the results would show up in their favour...
When Griff told the Chief about the evidence and how Paisley had got excited over nothing, Toby just nodded to himself. Griff was a cheeky sod, but he knew his stuff. And once they were out of this, he would pay him back. Somehow.

Once the Lie Detector test was over and they'd waited for the results to be analysed, the Chief finally concluded that they'd arrested the wrong man and apologised. Toby was too tired and sore to spit any stupid remarks at the Timekeeper, since he was almost on the verge of nodding off. Griff said something about the trains not running at this time and unlocked his hancuffs. Yawning, Toby rubbed his achy wrists and nodded, although he was only half listening. Six whole hours he'd been held. Right now all he wanted to do was get the Hell out of there before they gave him any more nightmares.
Want to stay over at my place for the night?
“Hm?” Toby grunted tiredly, pulling himself to his feet. Funny... He'd known Griff a few days, maybe a week now, and it had never occurred to him that his friend actually had a home to go back to. Obviously, he had been deprived of normal people for far too long. Plus, he was about as smart as a loaf of bread when he was as tired as this.
He grunted in annoyance when Griff poked his face, but he didn't have yet the ability to digest that it hurt.
It's kind of a mess, but I've got a couch fit for a king. And some frozen peas.” Griff jeered, poking his face again. This time, Toby had it in him to make a more annoyed noise and swat Griff's finger away from his sore face. “Come along, Superman. Let's go celebrate your innocence, shall we?
Toby followed him to the door with considerably less enthusiasm. He could have spent his evening in a better place, and the constant death-threats had tired him out with stress. He wasn't feeling all that smiley, either.
“I'm not really in a celebrating mood.” He grumbled, rubbing his sore face with his palm. “I'm just glad I'm alive. I thought that knobhead Paisley was going to kill me at one point.” He yawned again and yanked on his armwarmers. “You're right; he's a nasty piece of work.”
His coat had been hung on one of the coat hangers outside the interrogation room. He groaned at the pain it caused him to reach up and grab it – having his arms yanked about must have stretched his muscles somewhat – but when he yanked it on, he felt a faint sense of warmth. At least now he was on his way out, and as long as he was careful, he'd never have to see the inside of that building again.
“I guess one night wouldn't hurt. I'd sleep no better at my house, anyway.” He replied to Griff's first question, stuffing his hands in his pockets. His wrists would be red for a few hours, but once the blood flow evened out they'd get better. Lengthening his stride he kept marching on until he was definitely out of that horrible building and into the car park, where he could let himself relax. The further they got away from there, the better.
His let his eyes slide closed and inhaled the frigid air around him, feeling his racing heart calm in his chest. Once he was sure he was calm, he allowed his lips to relax into a tired smile, and he glanced back at Griff with his fake, green eyes.
“How about you? You looked a bit shaken when you came in. Did something happen?”
He supposed if it didn't concern him then he probably shouldn't have asked, but he couldn't help it. He'd never seen Griff look so scared, except when he'd threatened him back in the lair. His shaggy-haired friend was not the sort to get really shaken up unless it was for something important.
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:47 pm

When Toby grumbled something about not being in a 'celebrating mood', Griffin just rolled his eyes and mimicked the man with an imaginary sock-puppet. Then, when Toby turned to him, he smiled innocently, hiding his hands behind his back.
“I'm just glad I'm alive." His friend told him grimly, "I thought that knobhead Paisley was going to kill me at one point. You're right; he's a nasty piece of work.”
"That he is." Griff agreed, nodding, "But can you blame him, really? His ex-wife ran off with his brother after they'd been married a week." He shrugged, then tapped the side of his nose, and explained with a wink, "I read people's files."
Toby seemed too tired to listen, so Griffin shoved his hands into his deep pockets, raising his shoulders self-consciously as he waited for Toby. He fidgeted slightly as his friend pulled on his coat and arm warmers, tired of standing still, but soon enough they were on the move again, although this time Griffin seemed to have run out of things to say.

Thankfully, Toby had accepted his offer to stay over, so when they headed out to the parking lot and Griffin unlocked his Mazda with a beep of the keys, it was with considerable relief that he realized he would not have to go driving into the ghetto in the middle of the night.
They were halfway to the car, when Toby's soft voice spoke beside him, sounding more relaxed now.
“How about you? You looked a bit shaken when you came in. Did something happen?”
"Hm?" Griffin glanced toward him, putting on a distracted expression. "No." He smiled, shaking his head, "Nothing at all. Shall we go?"
Without waiting for a response, he pulled open his car door and swung himself into the driver's seat, seamlessly evading Toby's question. He had never been one to face his problems, much less discuss them, and he saw no point in letting Toby have any insight into his life. After all, when the night was out, he would probably never see the surly barman again. The case would be closed, and Griffin's duties in the Draining Seconds bar would be done.
The friendliness was all for show; when it came to depth, it seemed that Griffin simply had none. Everything about him screamed 'skin deep'.

Once Toby had climbed in beside him, Griffin started up the car, and the pair drove off into the night with an odd combination of animated conversation and companionable silence; most of the former coming from Griffin, who grew bored easily while driving.
Just ten short minutes later, they arrived at Griffin's house. It was nothing fancy, but it looked more suited to a small family than a single person. The tall driveway gate opened with a remote, sliding out of the way to allow Griffin to drive up the brick driveway, and park his car in a humble single garage beside the house. Once the garage door had closed behind them, Griff clapped his hands, and the light came on. With a self-satisfied little snicker - for he had rigged the clapper just a few days before - he climbed out of the car, and gestured for Toby to follow.
"Come on." He said, wrinkling his nose distastefully, "This place stinks. Between the paint and the petrol, you'd swear somebody's making a bomb in here."
He pulled a face, then hurried to the door, and fumbled with a set of keys for a while - jingling them noisily - until he finally found the right one, and inserted it into the lock. From there, they passed from the garage into the spacious lounge of the main house.
It would have been a cozy place, but the thick Persian rugs were rolled up and pushed to one side, and the fireplace was cold and cobwebby. With white walls and grey tiles, any warmth the place had held before was well lost now. The curtains were permanently closed, and the fluorescent lighting overhead spilled a cool, silver glow over the place.
In the background, there came the soft hum of voices from the television. Griffin tended to leave it on, even though he didn't watch it. He wouldn't admit it, but being orphaned as a child had etched a certain loneliness into him which never seemed to leave, and hearing those voices in the background offered at least an illusion of company, which Griffin found comforting in some ways.
The place was mostly bare - aside from the clutter of whatever broken electrical devices Griffin had found to tamper with - but on some free surfaces rested carefully polished frames with photographs inside. The pictures were all of the same beautiful, black-haired woman - some with Griffin, some without - but in all of them, she was smiling. She had Griffin's smile; warm and encouraging, in a way that healed a man to the very depths of his soul.

Tossing the keys onto a nearby leather couch, Griff gestured to it, and said to Toby, "You can sleep there if you like. I'll grab you some pillows and blankets, and there's a TV there." He pointed, "You can watch whatever you like, except for porn. I do have my boundaries."
Winking in a friendly fashion, Griffin trotted off to the kitchen, calling back over his shoulder for Toby to make himself at home, and quickly prepared some tea. Once he had a pair of mugs ready, he picked them up, holding a bag of frozen peas between his teeth, and another of tennis biscuits balanced between his wrists. When he reached the lounge, he mumbled something incoherent, then dropped the bag of peas onto Toby's head, and stuck out his tongue, pulling a disgusted face.
"Tastes like freezer!" He whined, depositing the tea and biscuits on the table, then sitting down heavily beside Toby.
"Mmmm, warm..." He mumbled, lifting up a mug, and sipping at the boiling liquid inside with a satisfied smile.
"So, Toby..." He turned to his friend, "How does it feel to be a free man? Are you happy? Excited? You show about as much emotion as a log." He smiled pleasantly, "Maybe less, actually. I've seen patterns in bark that look like faces. Seriously, you should check it out. They have some hilarious ones on Google Images. There's this one that looks just like a cat, and another like an old guy with a big beard, and..." He trailed off, blinking in sudden puzzlement, "What were we talking about again?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:50 pm

Griff's answer didn't surprise Toby in the slightest, and when he realised the topic was not up for question he decided to let it slide. If Griffin didn't want to talk about it, there was no point pushing his limits. It obviously didn't matter.
Toby then noticed his shockingly posh car with nothing but a surprised blink, and calmly let himself into the passenger seat. It was strange, really, knowing that even he could afford such luxuries... And yet he chose to work and live in the ghetto, which meant he had to look the part. Even his motorbike was falling apart, but if he bought a new one there'd be no guarantee that it would work, and buying a brand new one would only make him stand out like a sore thumb.
Still... He felt rather out of place sat there in an expensive, leather seat, surrounded by that same 'new car' smell that people always liked.

The journey was spent mostly in silence, since niether of them really had much to talk about. But when Griff pulled up outside a rather large house, Toby felt his eyebrows pull together. It was a family house, far too big for one man no matter how much stuff his friend had.
The electrical gates were weird, but after a while Toby just grew to accept that Griff was just what some people called 'special' and left it at that. The clapper was just odd, and when he entered the house to see it almost completely empty, he decided he'd seen enough.
However, when he studied the place more closely, he noticed some similarities to his own 'house', or whatever it could be classed as. Some parts – or most – were so untouched they were being attacked by spider webs, and unlike Toby's apartment, the house had a sort of aroma that it had once been a proper, family house.
He was about to ask his friend what the Hell had happened to make it such a dump, but he had a feeling that would be prying, and Griff probably wouldn't tell him anyway.
Flopping down on the sofa, Toby rested his head on the cushion behind him and stared at the ceiling. Somewhere on the yellow-stained wallpaper a spider crawled happily into a crack in the plaster. Somewhere else sat an ugly damp stain. Griff was talking, but Toby no longer cared. Until, that is, he heard, “You can watch whatever you like, except for porn. I do have my boundaries.
Toby's head snapped up, so sharply it hurt his neck. “Do I look like I watch porn?” He replied with a defensive frown. But Griff had already gone to the kitchen. Rolling his eyes he glanced aimlessly at the TV. He wasn't sure what someone who watched porn looked like, but he was certainly not one of those people.
A few moments later Griff appeared with a bag of frozen peas in his mouth, a pair of mugs in one hand and a plate of biscuits in the other. Toby decided his friend probably didn't get a lot of visitors.
He ignored the muffled ramblings, keeping his eyes on the bag of peas and raising a hand, preparing to catch it when it was thrown at him. Unfortunately that didn't happen, and he was mildly annoyed to have it dropped on his head instead. Not that he'd had it shoved against a mahogany table a few hours before.
He picked up the frozen peas and stuffed them against his face, groaning to himself. Life really was a bitch, wasn't it?
So Toby... How does it feel to be a free man? Are you happy? Excited? You show about as much emotion as a log.
Toby smirked under the frozen peas, groaning at the aching it caused his face. “I'm ecstatic inside.” He murmured dryly with a completely straight face.
In his tired state he didn't even bother listening to the rest of Griff's random little speech, until he'd finally stopped talking. Toby just closed his eyes and blanked it out, focusing on taking the pain away from his face. When the voice beside him ceased, he picked up the bag of frozen peas and shoved it playfully in Griff's face.
“Shut up and eat freezer.” He complained, then brought the peas back to his own face. In all seriousness, he'd need it. Dan wouldn't want him working in the morning with a black and blue face.
He sat there for a while with his eyes closed and his head wavering between dropping forwards into a sleep state or remaining upright. He really was tired, but he didn't trust himself to sleep with everything that had happened that day. It had got too close... Way too close at times. He'd have to watch his back with Timekeepers like Paisley around. He thought back to the lump of bile in the back of his mouth when that bastard had shoved the gun tip deeply against his throat, and the urge to piss himself at the thought of being shot even before he'd been taken anywhere.
Much as he tried to hide it, the incident when he was a boy had traumatised him. Through and through.
He'd never sleep soundly again.
“Hey, Griff?” He croaked tiredly, removing the peas from his face. He then shot his friend the sincerest of apologetic stares, his lips set in a serious line. “Thank you. I... I wouldn't be here now if it weren't for you.” He tried for a smile, but it hurt his bust lip. “And-... I'm sorry for how I reacted earlier. I'm the last person who deserves to be treating people like that.”
He swallowed, wincing at the headache forming around the bruise, and continued with his eyes scrunched closed. “We're even now. So you can stop calling me Superman.”
He smirked slightly, despite the pain.
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:19 pm

When Toby shoved the bag of peas into his face, Griffin slapped it girlishly away, then whined bitterly about it for a moment before sinking into sulky silence, glaring at the TV screen. "Stupid freezer tastes like foot." He grumbled to himself, soon growing bored and taking out his phone for a game of Angry Birds. As he was about to start playing, however, he heard Toby say quietly beside him, “Hey, Griff?” He looked up, and found his friend staring apologetically at him. Griffin tilted his head to one side, blinking curiously.
“Thank you. I... I wouldn't be here now if it weren't for you.” Shrugging off Toby's thanks, Griffin turned back to his phone, only to look up again when Toby continued, “And-... I'm sorry for how I reacted earlier. I'm the last person who deserves to be treating people like that. We're even now. So you can stop calling me Superman.”

At this, Griffin's thin lips curved into a simpering smile, and he replied pityingly, "Oh, Superman... That nickname is never leaving. It's far too fun to torment you with." He winked, and tweaked Toby's chin playfully as he stood up. "And don't worry about what happened before," He waved a hand airily, "You were shocked, and besides, I could've been fixing to lock you up." He flashed an innocent smile, "If you'd messed up my face, I would have made you pay, but you didn't, so we're cool."
He ruffled Toby's hair briefly, then left to take their mugs to the kitchen, returning shortly later with a pair of round magnets in his hand, which he kept tossing together and pulling apart to entertain himself.
"You should take those contacts out." He suggested, attention fixed mostly on the magnets now, "You'll get a headache if they're in too long, and besides," He glanced up, "Green eyes is kinda my thing. You can't pull it off." With an apologetic shrug, Griffin wandered aimlessly off, vanishing into the bathroom. It had been a long day, and he needed a shower.

Plucking off his clothes, he stepped into the jet of hot water, and winced when the pressure of it struck his bruised side. Paisley's foot had left an ugly blue streak across his ribs, and it hurt.
Griffin shuddered at the thought of his rival, swallowing a shaky breath. The truth was, Paisley scared him. He was worried that, somehow, that weasel would uncover what he had done, and then he would be out on his ass. It was a frightening thought, really, risking so much for one man who wasn't even innocent...
But a good man. Griff reminded himself, and as his thoughts drifted to Toby, he nodded. It would be wrong for a man like Toby to lose his life. He didn't deserve to die... Not when he still had so much to give.
Shaking out his thoughts with the water from his hair, Griffin closed the tap, then stepped out of the shower into a puddle on the ground, which he didn't bother mopping up.
He pulled on a pair of boxers, but as he was about to leave the bathroom, he stopped. It was a warm night, but with a stranger in his home, it wouldn't do to be walking around half naked. Glancing down at the angry bullet scar on his chest, he nodded decisively. Scars raised curiosity, and curiosity led to questions. He wasn't willing to divulge his secrets to Toby or anybody else. He liked them best as they were: hidden half-forgotten at the back of his mind.

So, dressing himself in shorts and a loose T-shirt, Griffin emerged from the bathroom with a yawn.
"I'm off to bed." He called to Toby, heading toward his room, "If you need me, just shout."

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:04 am

Toby rolled his eyes. If this man hadn't risked his own neck to save Toby's backside, he'd so have hit him by now. Obviously it was naught but a petty joke to Griff, but Toby was no hero. He'd tried to be once, and it had done nothing but destroyed everything he held dear. There was no point trying to pretend he was something he certainly was not. But still... Griff didn't know this, so he decided to let it go.
Griff went on to talk about to Toby's apology, seemingly unfazed by it. Toby was surprised, really, since at the time he seemed to have made his friend half crap himself.
If you'd messed up my face, I would have made you pay, but you didn't, so we're cool.
He couldn't stop himself from laughing at this. Funny... He'd been very close to pummeling Griff's face at the time. It was a good thing he didn't.
Still focusing on keeping the peas to his face, Toby watched Griff disappear out of the room for a moment, before returning with some magnets, which he threw together and caught again. Toby just groaned. The buzzing noise they made at the contact was louder in his ears than it was probably supposed to.
You'll get a headache if they're in too long, and besides... Green eyes is kinda my thing. You can't pull it off.” Toby shot Griff a look, but his friend was now smirking at him. That big, shiny-eyed look he got was enough to cast his irritation aside. He wasn't sure what it was about cute faces, but even Angel had his heart wrapped around her paw sometimes.
Nodding, he set the peas aside and began picking at his contacts. He'd stupidly left the contacts case back at his lair, so he just left them on the table in a soggy mess. It didn't matter if they weren't usable again. He'd pay Griff back later.

He didn't realise Griff had gone for a shower until his friend appeared in what looked like some makeshift pyjamas. Blinking in surprise – although it was now past 2am – Toby raised an eyebrow questioningly. Until, that is, Griff turned to leave. Toby bid him good night, then picked up the covers he'd been given. He doubted he'd sleep well, especially in someone else's house, but at least he'd be warm and comfy.
With that thought in mind, he let his eyes slide closed and curled up into a ball, hiding his face beneath the dusty, thick duvet.

Consciousness drifted from him once or twice for the next couple of hours, but Toby didn't seem to be able to get into a deep enough sleep to protect him from the nightmares that haunted him. Eventually, he got sick of trying, so he decided to nosy around the untouched sitting room, using the light of the TV to guide him around. He'd learnt many times that having a light on was a problem for someone who wanted to stay hidden, but since the TV was on all the time he didn't have anything to worry about.
He came across many dusty, rotting books, along with broken furniture and a shelf of CDs that had probably not been listened to for years. Everything was hidden beneath a thick layer of dust.
Except, he noticed after further inspection, a small group of photos on one of the shelves. They all included a woman, young – obviously – and some even included a younger Griff, who seemed a completely different boy in the woman's company. She had a warm, forgiving smile, like Toby's mother. And she loved the young boy with all her heart. He wondered what had happened to her.
Smiling slightly at the memory of his own mother, he crept nosily around the house for something to do, when he found an old Gameboy with a crappy Mario game in. He'd not had many luxuries as a boy, but he picked up the console anyway.

When Griff found him later that morning he was curled up on the sofa, covered with the thick blanket, frowning in concentration at the black and white screen. It had taken him a while, but he'd picked up the controls. In fact, he wasn't too bad at playing.
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:35 am

Griffin slept soundly through most of the night, until a familiar sound worked its way into the back of his mind just after 3AM. He twitched for a moment, then woke up, cracking one eye open as he listened. Somewhere in the distance, muffled by closed doors, was the faint sound of his antique gameboy from the 1990s. More specifically, the sound of the theme music from the Mario game. He would know that sound anywhere; after he had first repaired the gameboy, he had played it day and night for two weeks straight, clocking every one of the old 24 bit games on it.
Smiling faintly to himself, he shook his head, and kicked his legs over the side of the bed. Yawning noisily, he stretched his limbs until they clicked, then stood up and ruffled his hair, before shuffling out of the room in a pair of blue bunny-rabbit slippers.

He walked out into the next room, picking up his glasses on the way, and soon came across Toby sitting on the couch, so engrossed in his game that he didn't even look up when Griffin walked up to him. Silently, Griffin sat down on the couch next to him, and peered over his shoulder at the game.
"Careful," He warned, pointing, "The plant will eat you."
He watched as Toby skilfully negotiated the little animated plumber past the carnivorous plant, then smiled when the high-pitched monotone tune announced the level cleared.
"You picked up on that pretty quickly." He commented, watching as the gameboy's little pixellated screen moved to the next level of the game.
Then, at last, he looked up at Toby, concern crinkling his tired eyes. "Are you okay?" He asked carefully, "Every time I've seen you, you don't seem to sleep well. Do you have insomnia or something? If you do, I have pills." He jerked a thumb in the direction of the kitchen, "My doctor prescribed them for me 'cause I've got an over-active imagination, but I don't like to take them. I prefer to stay up. It's when I get my best work done, anyway." He smiled, then placidly stole the Gameboy from Toby, and began absentmindedly working his way through the next level to keep his mind occupied while he spoke to his friend.
"So what is it with you?" He asked, shooting Toby a curious glance in between guiding Mario over the vicious mushrooms, "Why don't you sleep?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Too tired to notice Griff entering the room, Toby nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard a voice right beside him, saying something about plants eating him.
He gasped in surprise, then let himself relax at the sight of the shaggy-haired Griff sat beside him.
"Thanks." He murmured, just as the horrible Boss-slash-plant jumped on him. "You're timing's perfect." He added sarcastically, groaning under his breath when he had to start the level again. It was no trouble really, though, because he'd picked it up so fast and it didn't take him long to get to the exact spot he'd just been in, throwing turtle shells at the Mario-eating plant.
When Griff mentioned that he'd picked it up quickly he just shrugged, watching the tiny screen change as he went onto the next level. "I'm a fast learner." He replied with a snide smirk. But Griff seemed to have his worries set on something more important.
"Are you okay? Every time I've seen you, you don't seem to sleep well. Do you have insomnia or something? If you do, I have pills."
Toby didn't take his eyes off the screen. Dark, hollow shadows were forming beneath his eyes, but he refused to let himself relax too much. He shook his head. "I don't need pills." He replied stubbornly. "I don't have anything medically wrong with me."
That was kind of true, at least. He had plenty of things wrong with him, but nothing that medicine could treat. Or cure.
"My doctor prescribed them for me 'cause I've got an over-active imagination," Griff continued, as loose-tongued as usual, "but I don't like to take them. I prefer to stay up. It's when I get my best work done, anyway." He finished, snatching the Gameboy from Toby, who watched the small device with a look of longing. Now he had no excuse not to reply to anything.
"So what is it with you? Why can't you sleep?"
Toby pulled the covers up to his shoulders, looking away. He'd never talked about anything so personal before, and he wasn't sure he liked it. Hell, he'd not even started yet.
"It's nothing. Just..." He shrugged, and rested his chin on the covers with a look of despair. "Nightmares."
He sighed. That was one way of putting it.
"It's not that-... That I can't sleep, it's just that... Sometimes, I just don't want to. With everyone else the nightmares leave when they wake up, but that doesn't happen with me. If anything... It gets worse."
He curled up tighter, hugging his knees to his stomach, clutching the warm covers like a lifeline.
"It gets worse because... Because it forces me to remember things I don't deserve to forget." He smirked bitterly. "It's some sick karma, but hey. I guess I deserve it, really. You saw my record; what I've done. But that's not only it. I-..." He stopped himself, and sighed. "Never mind. Sorry, I know it's a bit too heavy for three in the morning."
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:42 pm

It took Toby a while to answer him, and when he did, it was in a reluctant, halfhearted fashion. Griffin, always one to mirror his company, responded in kind, just offering a noncommittal grunt when Toby mentioned his nightmares. He kept his eyes trained on the Gameboy. Until, that is, his friend took a notion to delve deeper. Then Griffin stopped, pausing the game and looking up at Toby. He hadn't expected the man to give any further explanation... Obviously, he had made a bigger impression on Toby than he'd first thought.
"It's not that-... That I can't sleep," Toby explained haltingly, and Griff set the Gameboy quietly to one side, "It's just that... Sometimes, I just don't want to. With everyone else the nightmares leave when they wake up, but that doesn't happen with me. If anything... It gets worse."
Frowning in puzzlement, Griff folded his arms over his chest, and considered Toby questioningly. "They get worse...?" He repeated, tilting his head slightly to one side. He had never heard of nightmares that continued during waking hours... That obviously meant that what Toby called 'nightmares' were actually just snippets of memory visiting him in his sleep. Griffin could relate to that. He'd had those 'nightmares' for years following his mother's death... He sighed at the thought, then glanced up when Toby continued.
"It gets worse because... Because it forces me to remember things I don't deserve to forget." Griffin frowned, "It's some sick karma, but hey. I guess I deserve it, really. You saw my record; what I've done. But that's not only it. I-..." Here, Toby stopped, and before Griffin could question further, he finished, "Never mind. Sorry, I know it's a bit too heavy for three in the morning."
For a long moment Griff considered his friend, then he smiled pityingly, and tossed an arm around Toby's broad shoulders, giving him a playful squeeze.
"Silly Superman." He teased, "All heavy conversations happen after 3AM. Seriously, it's like you've never watched an American Highschool chick flick before." He winked, then removed his arm from Toby's shoulders and handed him the Gameboy, as if that could make everything better.
"So about these nightmares..." He hoisted one foot onto the couch, folding his hands over the knee and resting his chin on his knuckles as he continued, "D'you want to tell me about it? I've seen your files, but," He shrugged, "You know us Timekeepers only keep pretty one-sided reports of things. I'd like to hear about it from your side, to be honest." A smile curved his lips, and he blinked innocently at Toby, clearly ready to be told a story. He had taken Toby's side, after all. It was about time he learned what he was standing for.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:22 pm

Despite the playfullness in Griff's short hug, Toby felt a strange sense of warmth in his stomach at the sudden affection. The last time anyone had hugged him was back when his mother was alive... But he welcomed it anyway.
“Do I look like the sort to watch chick flicks?” He asked with a tired smile, accepting the Gameboy like it were made of gold. He was about to start the next level, when Griff decided to push further.
So about these nightmares... D'you want to tell me about it? I've seen your files, but... You know us Timekeepers only keep pretty one-sided reports of things. I'd like to hear about it from your side, to be honest.
Toby shrunk away in the sofa, looking surprisingly vulnerable, despite his well-built form. He wasn't even sure if he wanted to go that far to a Timekeeper, even if it was Griff. In his tired, paranoid state he wasn't even sure if he could completely trust one of them, but despite this, he didn't really have the strength to say no. In all honesty, he needed someone to talk to.
Besides... He could miss out some details, couldn't he?
“Alright, alright.” He hushed the small man beside him, dragging his palms over his dry face. “But I'm telling you it won't make me sleep any more.” He stretched his arms out in front of him, let his knees drop slightly so he now had his legs crossed on the sofa, the blanket pulled up to his stomach.
Then, with a hesitated sigh, he told his story.
“It all started when the Timekeepers came to collect the rent.” He said matter-of-factly. “I was fourteen and my brother, Colin, was sixteen. Our dad had been killed in a bar fight...” But he waved this iff with a flick of his hand. “That's another story. Anyway... The rent was three months in Time, which isn't too bad for the ghetto. But Mum only had three months and two days on her arm. Colin said we weren't supposed to know, but he always seemed to find things out for himself despite what Mum thought. Well, Mum begged the Timekeepers to give her a few days, she'd get her payment from work and then they could take the rent. But they ignored her. Took it anyway.” His eyes dropped. “I'd never heard her cry so hard.”
Hissing in a breath, he rolled his head back and stared at the ceiling.
“Well Colin worked as a kitchen boy for Elijah Firth – you'll know him as one of the richest Time managers in the country – and I was due to be starting work there too, the next day. So being the stupid, rebellious teenage boy I was, I started to think up a plan. If I could take his evening beverages to him and spike them with tranquillisers, I'd be able to wait until he'd gone to sleep and steal a year or so from his Time.” He shot Griff a tiny, humourless smile. “It wasn't like he'd miss a few years, right? Not when he had all of eternity to live a life of luxury.” Toby sighed. “So that's what I did. Colin scolded me over and over again, until I ended up lying to him and telling him I would just leave it. But it wasn't like I could sit back and wait for our mother to die. So... I did it on my own. I really did just plan to take a couple of years, just enough to get Mum back on her feet again... But when I was actually there, watching the Time disappear from this rich asshole and into my wrist I-...” He swallowed, feeling his voice quiver slightly. “The years turned to decades, which turned to centuries, and so on. I just... I couldn't stop. At first I was thinking, 'He wouldn't miss a few years, would he?' Then 'Someone could pay this back to him, it's not like he'll have to lift a finger for it'. Then I started taking thousands, hundreds of thousands of years from his Time. And-... I was just a boy. It seemed... It was unfair that men like that were able to live for eternity and not have to sweat a single droplet to get what they wanted, yet people like my mother were starving themselves to pay the rent, and giving up all their Time just so their children would have a house to live in when they died.”
He looked down at his fingers, picking sadly at the dry cuticles.
“The next thing I knew, he had nothing left, and I had one million years on me. Just imagine how excited and powerful I felt, when the man I'd taken it from just looked like he was sleeping on that stupid, luxurious bed of his. With one million years my mother would never have to work again, we could have moved out of the ghetto, lived in a big, warm house, and had a hundred servants if we'd wanted. But in reality, Elijah was dead. And that wouldn't come without consequences.”
Swallowing shakily, he looked down.
“They shot my brother when they found out, then they came after me. By the time I'd got home my mother was dead. Timed Out. And I had one million useless years on my Time.” He dropped the Gameboy angrily on the sofa and clenched his fists. “You don't know how many times I wanted to kill myself for what I'd done. At fourteen I'd already got so many skeletons in the closet. It's a wonder how I coped for so long... But even then, I knew that if I died, they would have died for nothing. And after everything I'd done, I remembered what I'd thought about when I was taking Elijah's time. It was wrong that there were people in the ghetto that were worth as much as the Timed Out corpses on the street, and rich folk in the other Time zones that could got whatever they wanted without lifting a finger.”
Finally, with slightly bloodshot eyes, he forced himself to look at Griff for the first time. “That's why I can't get arrested, Griffin. That's why I've kept a low profile and hidden my Time. Because Dayton's Time won't be enough to make the Authorities listen. But a man with a million years might.”
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:02 pm

When Toby began to speak, Griffin stretched his arms over his head, groaning at the relieving sensation of his stiff muscles loosening up, then curled up on the couch to listen to his friend's story. His glasses flashed in the light like a cat's eyes as he tilted his head, and behind them his eyes were wide and attentive. It was rare for his attention to stay in one spot for long, but from the moment Toby began speaking about his past and explaining his childhood, Griffin's gaze did not waver. He was frozen to the spot, and hanging on Toby's every word. His mother had taught him to be a good listener, and he was. He never interrupted, didn't fidget or fuss as he usually did - just sat quietly, letting Toby speak, and nodding from time to time to show that he was still listening.

Toby told Griffin about his family; his father who was killed, a well-meaning mother who couldn't pay the rent, and an older brother who ended up being killed because of his mistake. This man had lost everybody he cared for, and suddenly, Griffin found himself empathizing with his friend. Perhaps he hadn't known family like Toby had, but he too had known loss. Presently, he found himself wondering how his friend had coped with the grief for so many years...
He had been blaming himself; Griffin could see it in his eyes. He blinked once, frowning as he considered Toby's guilt-stricken face, and suddenly everything made sense. This was why Toby was so surly, so cynical, and so dead set against the idea of being a hero. He had tried, and a moment's failure had thrown it all back in his face. Amazing, really, the difference a little Time could make to a lot of lives.
As if on cue with these thoughts, Toby met his gaze at last, and he pulled back at the intensity as the other man finished, “That's why I can't get arrested, Griffin. That's why I've kept a low profile and hidden my Time. Because Dayton's Time won't be enough to make the Authorities listen. But a man with a million years might.”
He swallowed, considering this for a moment, then slowly nodded.
"Time is power." He murmured in agreement, "With as much as you have, there may be a chance to make a change." He smiled hopefully, "I'd like to think so, anyway. The way the world is now... Somebody has to do something. It's just wrong how much of a fuss everybody caused about Elijah - he'd been around forever, the guy was practically a fossil - but nobody gives a damn about the little people." His brows drew together in a frown, "A life is a life... I just don't see how one can be worth any more than another."
There was a long silence while Griffin stared at the flickering images on the muted TV across the room, then he turned to Toby and said, "I'm sorry about your family. It must have been terrible to lose them all so young, especially when all you were trying to do was save them..." He sighed, shaking his head, "We all make mistakes. It's a shame that yours cost you so much." He cast Toby a sympathetic glance, "I hope you aren't too hard on yourself, my friend. It seems an awful waste to live a million years in regret."
At last, Griffin stood up, straightening his glasses as he left Toby's side to head to the kitchen. He prepared a couple of mugs of tea, then returned to the lounge, and handed one to Toby.
"Drink up." He encouraged kindly, taking a seat beside his friend, "Then try to get some sleep. No matter what you may think, you need it." He smiled softly, "I'll be right here."
With that, he turned his attention away from Toby, leaving the man alone in his silent company, and retrieved his laptop from the coffee table beside the couch. He flipped it open, and with Toby at his side, began occupying himself aimlessly with pointless chores on the Internet.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:09 am

Toby was glad that Griff agreed with him at least, and didn't scold him for his unlawful thoughts like other people would. Toby knew his ideas were dangerous, but that was why he'd been working alone with his thoughts, not letting anyone else in. People close to him would get hurt. That's all there was to it.
But Griff... He had grown up in the ghetto. He knew what it was like, how much people suffered because of the lack of Time.
"The way the world is now... Somebody has to do something. It's just wrong how much of a fuss everybody caused about Elijah - he'd been around forever, the guy was practically a fossil - but nobody gives a damn about the little people."
Toby nodded quietly in agreement, pulling the covers up his stomach in a slightly self-conscious fashion. When he was as tired as this he didn't have the will to look like that big, strong Superman that Griff thought he was. At heart, he was still a rebellious teenager.
But no matter what he was, the Ghetto needed saving. And he wasn't going to stand back and wait for a hero to come flying in to save them.
"A life is a life... I just don't see how one can be worth any more than another." Griff murmured, and Toby realised the how serious his friend was about wanting to make justice. Not only to the criminals of the ghetto, but to the innocent people as well. He knew now that Toby was not the insane murderer the Timekeepers thought he was. He knew his mistakes, and he'd suffered enough. Well... He'd never stop suffering. But he was serving his life sentence, already, wasn't he?
After a few moments of silence, Griff spoke up again, apologetic this time.
"I'm sorry about your family. It must have been terrible to lose them all so young, especially when all you were trying to do was save them... We all make mistakes. It's a shame that yours cost you so much."
Toby snorted bitterly. It would be a 'shame' to drop your phone down the toilet, or to burn yourself on the kettle. Losing his family was... Utterly heartbreaking.
"I hope you aren't too hard on yourself, my friend. It seems an awful waste to live a million years in regret."
"I'm making no promises there." Toby murmured honestly, sighing a warm breath into his cold hands. At least now Griff knew why he was no hero, and why he was a bad guy. But at least he'd heard the story from his lips. Better than believing it all from a scrap of paper.
Eventually Griff stood, and without another word he wandered into the kitchen. Toby watched him leave with a slight frown, and stared blankly at the TV screen for a while, unsure of what to do. He really didn't want to go back to sleep... Perhaps he could manage another level on the Gameboy until it's battery ran out?
With a soft tinkle of a tea spoon hitting a pot mug, Griff wandered back into the room with two cups of tea and handed one over to Toby, who accepted it gratefully, wrapping his cold hands around it with a tiny smile.
At the order to drink the tea and attempt some sleep, Toby groaned under his breath. He really didn't want to have another nightmare, but maybe telling Griff his story would loosen them from his mind a bit? He hoped so.
"Okay." He agreed, sipping at his tea. Once he was around half way through he set it down on the coffee table and turned to his friend, who had sprouted a laptop out of nowhere and was clicking around the internet like his life depended on it. Toby's eyes twinkled warmly. His friend was such a hypocrite. "Hey Griff," His face relaxed again, and he felt his eyelids droop just slightly. For the first time in a while, he looked utterly sincere. "Thank you. I've not had anyone close enough to listen to me in a while." He winked, then wrapped the duvet around himself, letting one leg drop to the floor.
Okay, so maybe he was tired, but he wasn't going to admit that out loud.
Letting his eyes droop closed he crossed his arms over his chest, sighed, and hesitantly drifted off to sleep.

Unbeknownst to him, once he'd reached the peak of his sleep, his head had fallen limply to the side, resting now on Griff's bony shoulder. He didn't notice, however, because for the first time in days, he found himself deeply asleep, an he wouldn't wake up at all until after the brink of dawn.
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:40 am

Despite his complaints, Toby finally agreed to try catch some sleep, and Griff smiled, and muttered, "Good man." His eyes never left the laptop screen. His "Girlfriend" was online in World of Warcraft, and already Griff was caught up talking to her. It was entertaining, in a way, to form some strange, superficial relationship with a person he'd never meet face to face. He was quite content to ignore Toby and spend the rest of the night in the online world, but then a quiet voice beside him pulled him back to reality.
"Hey Griff,"
"Hm?" He glanced up distractedly.
"Thank you. I've not had anyone close enough to listen to me in a while."
Griffin blinked in surprise at this, considering what Toby had said, then offered a small smile. "Don't mention it." He murmured in response, though the corners of his mouth seemed heavy, and his smile soon fell away. Toby had grown close to him, and frankly, it was starting to worry him. He wasn't looking for a friend - he had been looking to save a good man from an unfair fate, and nothing more. Now that his job was complete, he no longer had any obligation to Toby. At least, that was how he saw it... But he was beginning to wonder if, perhaps, his 'friend' saw it differently...

Griffin watched thoughtfully as Toby curled up under the duvet, slipping off to sleep almost instantly. He watched the exhausted man for a moment, then turned back to his game. He had only been playing a few minutes, however, when he felt a sudden weight strike his shoulder, and he jumped in surprise, thinking he'd been struck. Jerking his head around like a puppet on a string, he saw Toby's heavy head resting on his shoulder, and chuckled quietly to himself, shaking his head at his silliness.
For the rest of the night, Griffin did not move a muscle. Toby needed his sleep, and though at times Griffin was desperate to get up and do something - being the hyperactive type that he was - he restrained himself for his friend's sake.
After all, good pillows didn't get up and walk away.

By the time 8AM came about, Griffin's troll girlfriend had logged off, and he had exited World of Warcraft to play a game of Solitaire on his computer instead. Well, perhaps 'a game' wasn't quite right. He had just finished his tenth when Toby finally began to stir.
"Oh, fantastic, you're awake!" Griffin exclaimed, slamming his laptop shut with a loud clap, "Get off me. I haven't been able to feel my shoulder for the last four hours. Do you have any idea how heavy that giant mug of yours is?" He shot Toby a glare, and shoved him firmly to the side, then shot him a teasing wink as he stood up.
"Want some breakfast?" He asked, "Not that I'll be cooking. I'm lousy at it - but there's a cafe down the road that does a great bacon and egg meal." Obviously, Griffin had been sitting in silence for far too long. The words poured from his lips like water from a broken tap.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Toby's eyes fluttered open to find light shining in through a gap in the curtains, coming from the sun rising between a mess of grey clouds. It was a sight he'd never seen without watching the sun rise from the middle of the night, and for a moment he had no idea where he was, or even how many days he had been out. Of course, the only way he could have slept this long was if he'd been tranquillised, or knocked out, or-
"Oh, fantastic, you're awake!"
He nearly jumped out of his skin, surprisingly energetic thanks to his deep sleep, and shot Griff a strange look.
"Get off me. I haven't been able to feel my shoulder for the last four hours. Do you have any idea how heavy that giant mug of yours is?" Toby was about to reply, but he felt himself being pushed sideways and rolled onto the sofa arm with a surprised grunt, rubbing the red mark on his brow from resting it on Griff's bony shoulder for so long. He couldn't believe that he'd actually rested his head on Griff's shoulder. What was he, a snuggly woman? He sat up properly and rubbed the back of his neck, clicking it from one side to the other.
"Want some breakfast?" Griff asked him, and he just nodded, only half listening. "Not that I'll be cooking. I'm lousy at it - but there's a cafe down the road that does a great bacon and egg meal."
"Bacon and egg sounds good." He replied croakily, then pulled himself to his feet and stretched his arms tiredly over his head. It was a great contrast to his friend, who was scuttling around like a terrified hamster. He smiled fondly. Poor Griff probably hadn't left his side since he fell asleep.
"Can I ask you something?" Toby asked, his lips dragging down into a serious frown. "How many centuries have passed?"
There was a very long silence where he just stared at Griff, eyebrows pulled together, as if he genuinely thought he'd been asleep a few hundred years. Until finally he grinned, and slapped his friend playfully on the back.
"Come on. Let's get some food. I'll pay, since I kind of owe you anyway."
With an obvious spring in his step from the refreshing night's sleep, he picked up his mug of cold tea and gulped it down, then set it back down on the coffee table with a happy sigh. It was evident that he'd needed that sleep. Despite what he'd been telling himself.
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Griffin whined in annoyance as he felt the numbness in his shoulder give way to a horrible pins-and-needlesy sensation, and he rubbed it vigorously in an attempt to get the blood flow going again. When he began to regain some movement in the arm, he shrugged, and shook out the stiffness from his limbs like a wet dog. And, equally bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, he glanced toward Toby, smiling mildly.
"Can I ask you something?" Toby asked when he finally seemed awake enough to process thought, "How many centuries have passed?"
"Nearly twenty two, I think." Griffin replied without missing a beat, scratching his chin absentmindedly, then shooting Toby a quick smirk when he saw his friend's serious expression fall away into a grin. He grunted when he felt a heavy hand slap his back, stumbling forward a step, and as he caught his balance, Toby offered, "Come on. Let's get some food. I'll pay, since I kind of owe you anyway."
"Fair enough." He grinned, straightening up, then stretching his back with a groan - sitting still for so many hours had really done a number on him.
"Just give me a minute to get dressed."

With that, Griffin hurried off to his bedroom to change, and quickly stumbled into a neat white shirt with black buttons, and a smart pair of dark jeans. Last of all, he shrugged on a long black coat to keep himself warm in the cool morning air, then he combed his hair briefly with his fingers, shrugged, and headed back into the next room to meet Toby. "Ready to go, Superman?" He called, grabbing his car keys from the mantlepiece, and shooting Toby a devious grin as he flounced out through the front door.

By the time Toby joined him, Griffin had already reversed the car into the driveway, and when his friend climbed in the passenger side, Griffin proceeded to reverse back out of the driveway.
He closed the gate behind him with the remote control, then pulled out onto the road, and sighed happily as he let the car cruise steadily along in the direction of the cafe.
"You see, Superman," He said, casting a glance at his friend, "This is how you drive. Notice how the car stays on the road?" He wiggled the steering wheel to demonstrated, causing the Mazda to sway from side to side on the road. He shot Toby a wink, then changed up a gear, and picked up a bit of speed as they drove on to the Cafe.
They arrived just a few minutes later, and Griffin pulled up in the parking lot, then let himself out of the car and stretched, yawning widely, "Gawd," He groaned, "I'm starting to wish I'd got a bit more sleep now. I feel like I was hit by a train."
Well, I was hit by Paisley's foot, which is just about the same thing...
Nervously shaking aside his thoughts, Griffin hurried on to the cafe, letting himself in through the glass entrance door, and throwing the waitress behind the counter a friendly wave. She waved back, smiling warmly, and put down the plate she was drying to walk over to him. Meanwhile, Griffin found a table, and by the time he and Toby were sitting down, the waitress had reached them.
"Good morning, Honey." She greeted him, rosy cheeks dimpling in a friendly fashion, "What can I get for you and your friend today?"
"Eggs and bacon, I think." Griffin replied, casting a questioning glance at Toby.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:02 pm

Since Toby was already dressed in the same clothes he'd worn for the last couple of days he was pretty much ready to go, although he smelt of dry sweat and a strong version of his body odour. He decided to head to the kitchen and wash his upper half whilst Griff got dressed, then met him back in the dusty living room to get ready to go. His stomach growled furiously, since he hadn't eaten since breakfast the day before, and he could feel his limbs were considerably weaker than they usually were.
He met Griff a few minutes later, who looked far more well groomed than Toby, although perhaps a little more tired. "[i]Ready to go, Superman?[i]" Griff teased, and Toby gave him a good natured flick on the ear for continuing with his nickname. He didn't mind, really, when it came from Griff. Just as long as he didn't overdo it.

On the car journey there, Griff went all the way to make sure Toby knew exactly how normal people drove on the road, or on it at all. Toby pretended not to notice, but when his friend swayed the car he grabbed his seat, eyes widening, to keep himself from flopping around the car.
"Well that's boring." He replied snidely, shooting Griff a smirk. "What's the fun in driving if you don't go a little off-road, eh?"
Really, behind his monotony and seriousness, Tobias was just one overgrown adrenaline junky.
Shaking his head in amusement he stared at the world gushing past through the window, and opened it up an inch or so so that the wind hit his messy hair. The cold air refreshed him in a way it hadn't in a long time, and he was surprised to realise just how happy he felt after a good night's sleep.

When they finally reached the cafe Toby followed Griff aimlessly to the table as he flirted around with the waitress. Toby wasn't sure his friend knew exactly what he was doing, but it seemed to please the waitress enough to make her giggle like a lovesick school girl. If it meant they got a discount, then Toby was all for it.
When they began to order, Toby confirmed he wanted the same as Griff, and sat back in his seat. Once the waitress had gone to sort out the order, Toby glanced at Griff with a tiny smirk on his face. "You're quite the ladies' man, aren't you Griffy boy?" He teased, pretending to study the breakfast menu on the table. "One word and they grovel at your feet."
He noticed an offer on egg sandwiches and cursed himself for not choosing something cheaper. He may have had a lot of Time at the lair, but he wasn't used to only having a year on him. It put him on edge a bit, even if these two meals would only cost a few hours.
"Hey," He said quietly, glancing up at his new friend, crossing his arms over his chest. "I'm sorry if I kept you up. You could have just left me if you really wanted to go back to bed. I wouldn't have minded."
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:51 pm

Griffin waved the waitress off as she left to prepare their meals, and when he turned back to Toby, he found a strange smirk awaiting him.
"What?" He asked, frowning at the look on is friend's face.
"You're quite the ladies' man, aren't you Griffy boy? One word and they grovel at your feet."
"Griffy boy?" He repeated, a pained expression on his face, "That's just awful. It makes me sound like the nerdy sidekick in a bad carto- Hey, wait, I'm no ladies' man!" Catching on a little late, Griffin pouted indignantly, and flicked his hair back from his face in a dignified fashion as he said, "Romance is for the weak. I'm far too busy with..." He tried to think of one important thing he did with his free time, and when he failed, he just shrugged and finished lamely, "Other stuff."
He shot Toby a glance, then rolled his eyes, and muttered, "Okay, sometimes I flirt a little by accident. I don't know I'm doing it; it just kinda happens..." He trailed off, chuckling and rubbing his hair awkwardly, then shot Toby a sheepish smile.
Luckily, his friend seemed willing to overlook his complete ignorance when it came to 'the ladies', and in fact seemed to find the menu a whole lot more interesting than Griffin.
Narrowing his eyes in boredom, he started scrunching up a napkin to throw at Toby, but before he got the chance, he heard his friend's soft voice say, "Hey," He looked up to see Toby watching him seriously, arms folded over his chest, "I'm sorry if I kept you up. You could have just left me if you really wanted to go back to bed. I wouldn't have minded."
Griffin blinked blankly at him, the napkin falling from his fingers, and replied honestly, "You don't have to apologize, I don't mind. I was awake anyway." He shrugged, "I'm a little ADD, so I never sleep when I have things to do. There's just always something more interesting out there... I mean, I usually regret it afterwards," He grinned sheepishly, "But I never learn my lesson."
At that moment, the waitress returned with the food, and Griffin thanked her politely, and took his meal.

With the steamy plate of egg and bacon wafting tantalizing scents towards him, Griffin grabbed the salt cellar eagerly, and promptly shook most of it over his food. Once it was salty enough to have washed out of the ocean that very day, Griffin dug in, shoveling great, salty mouthfuls into his mouth with gusto. He was hungrier than he'd first thought - with all the running around the previous day, he had hardly eaten - and he finished his meal quickly, then ordered a glass of water to rehydrate himself before the salt took its toll.
Licking his lips happily, Griff yawned and pushed his knife and fork together on his plate, then glanced up at Toby.
"Thanks for that." He said, flashing his ever-present smile, "I really needed it. I feel alive again now." He snickered, then started absentmindedly shredding his napkin with his knife and fork, already bored with sitting around.
"How was your food?" He asked, flicking a piece of napkin at Toby's face, "Are you ready to go?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:20 pm

"No kidding." Toby replied snidely at the mention of Griff's ADD. Of course, that was no surprise. Something had to explain why his friend was so skittish when there was nothing to do.
"There's just always something more interesting out there... I mean, I usually regret it afterwards, but I never learn my lesson."
"Neither do I." He responded, smiling slightly. "Although last night I got a little push from a certain someone, so thankfully I'm a little better than usual." He winked, just as the waitress came with their breakfasts. Toby's stomach growled in response. He' forgotten it had been a while since he'd last eaten.

The two ate in contented silence until they had practically licked their plates clean, and sat back on their seat with swollen stomachs. Toby rubbed his own with a sleepy smirk, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.
At Griff's comment he only grunted in reply, his mouth stretching into a wide, dog-like yawn.
"My food was de-" He began, when he noticed Griff already messing around with the stuff on his table like a child deprived of interesting toys.
Toby stared unblinkingly at him for a while, brow creased with some concern for Griff's mental health. Then - seemingly accepting the man was just strange - he stood up and ruffled his friend's long hair playfully like Griff usually did to him.
"I was going to take that napkin off you just to watch you squirm, but I can't be bothered." He grunted, smirking slightly, and headed to the till to pay for their meals.
When he was back he picked up his jacket and pulled it on, buttoning it up just far enough for there to be a collar folded around his sleek neck. He yanked it up so it shadowed a fraction of his lower jaw, then raised an eyebrow at Griff. "Where to now, Griffy-boy?" He teased, narrowing his eyes daringly. If Griff was allowed to have an annoying nickname for Toby, then it could at least be reciprocal, couldn't it?
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:45 pm

Griffin made a surprised sound when Toby ruffled his hair, much like his father - well, surrogate father - used to do. He looked up at his friend, blinking through wide, innocent eyes, then frowned when Toby said teasingly, "I was going to take that napkin off you just to watch you squirm, but I can't be bothered."
"You're the Devil." He informed his friend blunted, scooping the shredded pieces of napkin defensively closer to himself, but Toby just ignored him, and stalked off to the counter to pay.
Chuckling to himself, Griffin stood up, dusting the stray bits of paper from his clothes, then trotted over to Toby's side when the other man turned to leave.
"Where to now, Griffy-boy?" He asked tauntingly, and Griffin pulled a rude hand gesture in response to his new nickname. He didn't have a problem with nicknames in general, just that one in particular. Honestly, he felt embarrassed for Toby. When it came to nicknaming, his friend was truly talentless.
For a while he considered pointing this out, but then he shrugged and decided to answer Toby's question instead.
"Let's get you home, shall we?" He suggested pleasantly, "I should really be getting back to work anyway..." He trailed off then, going oddly quiet for a while as his thoughts drifted to his workplace.
Paisley would be there. Paisley, with his heavy fists and steel-capped boots. Paisley, who already suspected him for screwing with Toby's files.
Frankly, Griffin was a little scared to be around Paisley after all that had gone down the day before.
Choosing not to verbalize his thoughts, he swallowed anxiously, and quickly distracted himself by taking a near-indecent interest in the weather the moment they got outside.
After enthusing about the completely mediocre sunlight and the few loosely dotted clouds for longer than was socially appropriate, Griffin urged Toby into his car, then started the engine in preparation to leave.

They pulled out of the parking lot, and soon enough the two were on their way back to Dayton. The Time Zone borders flashed by, and as the smooth tar road grew rough and potholed, Griffin knew that his adventure with Toby was about to draw to a close. Even so, it had been a hell of a run.
Keen to prolong it just a little more, he slowed slightly, taking longer than was strictly necessary to negotiate his way around the ruts and dips in the road.
"You know, I'm kinda going to miss that shithole you call a bar." He admitted with a fond, nostalgic smile, "I mean, don't get me wrong, I hardly had a great time being back in Dayton - what with being mugged, nearly knocked down by a train and, worst of all, dragged through rat infested alleyways - but hey, I can't deny that it was an adventure."
He shot Toby a smile as the car rolled to a halt outside the bar, and he pulled up the handbrake.
"Stay out of trouble now, Superman." He cautioned, unlocking the door for Toby to get out, "I don't want to find myself back on your tail a few months from now, you hear?" His trademark smile warmed his lips, and with a wave of his hand, Griffin added, "Enjoy your freedom, Toby. And use it well."
This is goodbye then, I suppose. Pity, really. I was growing quite fond of the grumpy old thing. Then again, that's life I guess. The case is closed now, so it's time to move on.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:24 am

Toby shrugged at the offer to be taken home, ignoring Griff's pondering look. His friend seemed to be doing that a lot lately... Toby wondered vaguely what might be on his mind, but he didn't sat a word. Griff's business was Briff's business. He'd share it if he wanted to.
After a long, monotonous conversation about how pretty the lifeless sun was and how fluffy the rain clouds looked, Toby climbed into Griff's car and rolled the window right down so that the wind would hit his face. He wasn't sure why it relaxed him so much... But it reminded him of how free he felt when he was out on his bike, seconds from accidentally killing himself. ((You rebel, you. -_-))
The ride back to the ghetto was a long, silent one. But eventually, they got there. Griff's spotless, brightly-coloured colour stuck out like a sore thumb. Cal would Time Out ten innocent people for a model like that.
Toby was about to turn and thank his friend for the ride, and a good night's sleep, when Griff started talking. His smile was bittersweet as he recalled all the things he'd done in Dayton since he'd met Toby, and his tone was unnerving. It was worrying, he was speaking in past tense. Almost like a...-
No, Toby reminded himself. He wouldn't do that, not after everything that's happened.
Apparently, it seemed he was wrong.
"Stay out of trouble now, Superman. I don't want to find myself back on your tail a few months from now, you hear?" Griffin raised a hand in a slight wave. "Enjoy your freedom, Toby. And use it well."
"Don't patronise me, Griffin." Toby warned him, narrowing his eyes. He'd gone still, dangerously still, like the moment right before a bomb explodes. "What're you trying to say? Is this goodbye?"
His breathing had gone soft and shallow, barely audible, but he made no attempt to get out of the car. He couldn't understand it... Why would Griff suddenly turn round without a warning and drop this all on him now? After everything he'd learnt from Toby, after all those times he'd called him 'a friend', why would he throw all that away so easily?
"Why're you saying this?" He demanded, the answers ticking around his head like clockwork. What if Griff had only helped him out to get all this information out of him, then run back to the Timekeepers and grass him out? What if all this had been just one long, sick game?
"Tell me, dammit!" He snapped, snarling his lips. "Are you seriously saying that all this time, even after you supposedly 'betrayed' your Timekeepers, that you've been planning to throw it all away after, what, a few days? Come on, pal, tell me I'm getting the wrong end of the stick. Tell me you're not actually leaving."
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:42 am

"Don't patronise me, Griffin." Toby growled, and Griffin's eyes widened nervously at the ill-disguised aggression in his friend's far-too-calm voice, "What're you trying to say? Is this goodbye?"
"Well..." Griffin scratched his chin uncertainly, obviously trying to think of what answer Toby expected him to give. Luckily, before he'd given himself too much of a headache over it, Toby continues - still in the same dangerously soft voice.
"Why're you saying this?"
"I'm just-"
"Tell me, dammit!" Griffin flinched at the sudden sharpness to Toby's tone, shrinking away into his seat as he cast the other man an anxious sideways glance. He didn't like it when people got angry with him. He didn't like it at all.
But Toby, apparently undeterred by his silent displeasure, just went on angrily.
"Are you seriously saying that all this time, even after you supposedly 'betrayed' your Timekeepers, that you've been planning to throw it all away after, what, a few days? Come on, 'pal', tell me I'm getting the wrong end of the stick. Tell me you're not actually leaving."
"Why are you freaking out at me?" Griffin demanded indignantly, raising his chin and shooting Toby a glare, "You don't need me any more. I got you off your charges, didn't I? There's no reason for me to hang around here any more. I have no business here." He flapped a hand, gesturing vaguely to the grimy streets of Dayton, "It's not like I'm going to live on the moon. I'm just going home." His brows drew together, and he considered Toby with a confused expression.
"I don't understand what you're getting so upset about." He admitted, shrugging, "My goal was to keep you from being locked up or put to death, and I accomplished that. What is it, exactly, that I'm supposed to be throwing away here?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:22 pm

Toby's mouth dropped in disbelief. Was he seriously hearing this right? "What do you mean 'why are you freaking out'? I-"
"You don't need me any more. I got you off your charges, didn't I? There's no reason for me to hang around here any more. I have no business here. It's not like I'm going to live on the moon. I'm just going home."
"It's the same difference!" Toby snapped, sitting back in his seat, shaking his head in horror. Griff might as well be living on the moon if he was leaving and never coming back. With the way he was going, it sounded almost like he was dying.
The asshole.
The absolute asshole.
"I don't understand what you're getting so upset about. My goal was to keep you from being locked up or put to death, and I accomplished that. What is it, exactly, that I'm supposed to be throwing away here?"
Toby stared at him, unsure whether he wanted to punch or strangle his so-called 'friend' first. It was his own fault, really. He'd got his hopes up. He'd presumed he could trust a Timekeeper, and poured his heart and soul out to him the previous night, and for what? Just so Griff could turn round and push him away in the blink of an eye?
'Friendship'. The word seemed nothing more than a mockery of him now.
"Tell me, Griff," he snarled, looking out the window at the grey world around him. "Does the word 'friend' mean anything to you? Or does it just sound like a roaring in your ear?"
He shook his head.
"Forgive me if I'm wrong, but most people call someone a friend because they actually consider them a friend. One that... That they'd never want to leave." He opened up the car door and let it swing open, but he made no effort to get out. "I guess I let myself get in a bit deep, but... Screw it. If this is how you treat your friends, no wonder you don't have any."
Curling his lip in disgust he climbed out of the car and slammed the door closed behind him. Then, with an angry growl he turned back on his heel and leant in through the open wheel, his eyes blazing. "If you tell anyone about me, what I told you..." He paused for a moment, and a flicker of desperation could be seen in his sad, blue eyes. Everything he'd told Griff had been mentioned in confidence. If the other Timekeepers found out his weakness...
He clenched his jaw, and finished, "If you tell anyone, I swear I'll k-"
He stopped, realised what he was about to say, and clamped his mouth shut. Never would he do that, or use it as a threat. He already had one skeleton in the closet, he would not have another. Especially one he'd considered a friend.
With an angry roar he turned away, but not before he slammed a furious fist against the expensive car door. Let him pay for the damage, he thought bitterly. I already bought him breakfast this morning.
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 27 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 27  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top