Two Batty Kids :: Me and Polo

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Two Batty Kids :: Me and Polo

Post  Batcat on Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:19 am

James frowned at the gratitude, unsure of how to respond. He realized as Orion explained why he didn't want to think of James as Luke that that was actually a really horrible idea. For one, James was his own person, not this man's dead best friend. If he had to go around all the time pretending like it...
And then there was the part where they were a little more than friends. That wouldn't be surprising now if he thought about it. Orion didn't seem like the straightest guy anyhow.
James cast a quick glance at his roommate from the corner of his eye. "I guess you're right." Then he bit the inside of his cheek gently, already knowing he was going to regret this question. "This man... Luke... Was he the special someone you were with a while ago?"
Batcat

http://christmas-khaleesi.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:22 am

There was a moment of thoughtful silence, and then James mumbled softly, "I guess you're right." Orion felt his roommate's eyes on him, watching him strangely, and after a moment, he raised his eyebrows at the man, curious to learn what was on his mind. Whatever it was, it appeared to be eating him.
"This man..." James tried at last, hesitant, "Luke... Was he the special someone you were with a while ago?"
At this, Orion tensed, quickly dropping his gaze to his hands. He felt as if he'd just been slapped out of the blue, and with his tongue tied from surprise, he honestly wasn't sure how to respond. He had not expected the truth to come out this quickly... Or at all, really.
"You're pretty sharp." He murmured at last, rubbing the back of his head awkwardly, "Luke was the first and only person I loved. It never even really occurred to me that he was a boy," He shrugged, "I just loved him, and that was that. It never once felt wrong to me." The bitter twist to the word made him pause, then shake off his thoughts as he added, "I'm not ashamed of it, but," He took a deep breath, and looked up at James with a hint of anxiety, "Look, just please don't spread the word. I don't want the trouble. I understand if you're weirded out, but for the record, I'm not out to wave some gay little magic wand and convert the first guy I see to be my boyfriend." He snorted derisively at the thought, "In fact, after what happened with Luke, I kind of made a promise to myself that I wouldn't be that way any more. It's just... Too much trouble. Too much heartache." He lowered himself wearily back onto his pillow, staring blankly up at the ceiling. "The world is a f*cking unbearable hell for a gay man. That's what I found. It's simpler, easier, just to be alone. And if it means I'm alone forever, well," He sighed, a sound almost like a resigned laugh, "At least I know I'll never have to lose somebody again."
Polo trapped in an inkpot

Location : With the beast under your bed, in your closet, in your head...

Back to top Go down

Post  Batcat on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:57 am

James was surprised at how shocked Orion seemed; it was only a matter of time before he blew his cover at some point or another, so why did he seem so... upset?
"You're pretty sharp. Luke was the first and only person I loved. It never even really occurred to me that he was a boy, I just loved him, and that was that. It never once felt wrong to me."
James nodded, pretending to understand, although he didn't, not really. How did a boy just go out and... you know... want another boy? It just... It just didn't male any sense to him at all. He frowned and stared down at his hands, thinking absently that he should probably put the binding back on his wrist. It was going to be hard to get it back on by himself though. His eyes flashed up to Orion's, and then back down to his palms. Tess might be able to help him.
"I'm not ashamed of it, but, look, just please don't spread the word. I don't want the trouble. I understand if you're weirded out, but for the record, I'm not out to wave some gay little magic wand and convert the first guy I see to be my boyfriend."
James let out a bark of laughter at that. After all, if that were true, he would already be making out with Orion or something just as equally disgusting. He rolled his eyes and pushed down the nagging feeling in his gut.
"In fact, after what happened with Luke, I kind of made a promise to myself that I wouldn't be that way any more. It's just... Too much trouble. Too much heartache. The world is a f*cking unbearable hell for a gay man. That's what I found. It's simpler, easier, just to be alone. And if it means I'm alone forever, well," He gave a bitter chortle, but James could see the sadness in his eyes, and wanted nothing more at that moment than to take the pain away. No one - even if they were gay - should have to have so many bad things locked up inside. No one should have to suffer that way. James swallowed and looked away. "At least I know I'll never have to lose somebody again."
"That's no way to live." He murmured quietly when Orion was done talking. "You shouldn't need to be scared like this..." He shook his head slowly, as if trying to clear it. "Even if you are... gay," he gave a delicate shudder at the word, "that's no reason for you to feel you can't love anyone at all. Or have to hide it."
James sighed and balled his left hand into a fist, letting his nails dig into his palms. His emotions were running through him. The angry - this wasn't right for Orion to be feeling this way - and the sadness - there was nothing that James could do for him - and the hopeful - maybe Orion would understand how he was... feeling. What all of these feelings about other men meant, maybe it was just hormonal - and the ashamed - he was not gay, not at all, there was no way. That was just so gross.
He glanced up at the other man, his hair falling in front of his face. "I won't tell, though. You don't need to worry about that. And I'm not too weirded out. I doubt that you'll want me anyway." He chuckled a little bit to drown his lie, and ran a hand to push his fringe over his ear.
Batcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:36 pm

"That's no way to live." James murmured quietly, and Orion's eyes moved back over toward him, nearly pitying in their sorrow. He had known that James wouldn't understand. He had never expected him to. After all, he was right. It was no way to live, yet to him, it seemed the only way.
"You shouldn't need to be scared like this..." James continued with a slow shake of his head, "Even if you are... gay, that's no reason for you to feel you can't love anyone at all. Or have to hide it."
"Of course I shouldn't." He murmured under his breath, "But if you try tell society that, I expect you'll find they have a rather different view."
He heard James sigh softly beside him, a troubled sound, and looked over to see the man clenching a fist in his lap. For a while all was silent, then James looked up, and Orion's heart bruised itself on his ribs with its sudden leap. For an instant, he sat completely frozen.
His hair... The way it covers his eyes like that... He could almost be Luke. It's as if he'd in the room with me...
A lump grew in his throat, and Orion swallowed it quickly away, turning his head to take a breath as James said innocently beside him, "I won't tell, though. You don't need to worry about that." He nodded, relieved.
"And I'm not too weirded out. I doubt that you'll want me anyway."
At this, he cast a sideways glance back to James, tilting his head curiously.
"Well," He mused with mock seriousness, displaying a twisted sense of devious humour that he so seldom had use for, "I don't know, you're pretty good looking, for a geek." He pretended to consider it a while, then shrugged, and concluded crudely, "Nah. I'll pass. You're too twiggy for me, anyway."
Of course, that was a lie. In all honesty, he found James's kind of pale, nerdy, baby-bird look to be particularly endearing, but there was no need to mention that. After all, he had meant what he said. As long as he lived, he didn't intend to ever love another man, and since he couldn't love a woman - for he had tried - that left him entirely without options. Yet even knowing this, he could not doubt his choice. Not after what his last love had led to.
"Hey." He looked back at James, "Thanks... For not judging me. Most guys would be freaked out to room with a gay bloke." His eyes drifted to the ceiling once more, mouth twisted in grim amusement, "It's like they think we're diseased or something. F*cking pricks." He slowly closed his eyes, and added in a quiet mumble, "Even if I wasn't gay myself, I think I'd hate homophobes just the same. They don't understand the damage they do."
He didn't realize it, but that was the second time he'd used that line.
[i]If it wasn't for them, none of this would have happened. If it wasn't for them... I'd be looking at Luke right now. Not at you.

[/i]

Back to top Go down

Post  Batcat on Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:36 pm

"Well, I don't know, you're pretty good looking, for a geek." The tone Orion was using was new to James. He actually lifted his head and carefully studied the man's face, looking for a smirk that wasn't there. He still had yet to earn a smile, it seemed. A small rush of adrenaline went through him at the comment, and his cheeks colored with humble embarrassment. It felt strange to be complimented by another man. He kind of liked it, if he didn't think about it too much.
"Nah. I'll pass. You're too twiggy for me, anyway."
"Thanks." He muttered, rolling his eyes. "Couldn't let me feel good about myself, huh?"
Despite the fact that James was glad that Orion didn't find him too attractive, he was still a little bummed out. It wasn't that he wanted the man to like him, it was just a little stinging on his pride that he wasn't good enough. He felt the same when girls didn't find him attractive, although the blonde - Liz - had obviously thought he was good enough. And even Alia, she had told him he was good-looking. She had kissed him. That had to count for something, right?
He sighed and stopped thinking about it, and there was a little bit of quiet time before Orion spoke up again.
"Hey. Thanks... For not judging me. Most guys would be freaked out to room with a gay bloke. It's like they think we're diseased or something. F*cking pricks." He lowered his voice and added something so quietly that James had to strain to hear him. "Even if I wasn't gay myself, I think I'd hate homophobes just the same. They don't understand the damage they do."
There it was, that line again. He'd said the same thing about the bullies, after protecting James from them. Protecting James because he'd looked like Luke. Luke. The damage they caused.
Oh.
James swallowed the lump rising in his throat as he connected the pieces of the puzzle together, and suddenly, for the first time in his life, he felt like shit for being so prejudiced against gays. Absolute shit.
It's not like you did anything to any gays, though, a small voice in his head tried to justify. You never bullied anyone.
That was false, though. If he had known at the beginning - when they'd first met - that Orion was gay, he probably would have immediately requested a room change. That would have hurt Orion, although it seemed that he was used to such crappy treatment. Still. That didn't justify it.
"To be honest, I probably would have a few days ago." James said quietly. It seemed necessary for him to tell Orion. After all, the man had just spilled his entire soul for James to see; he should at least have some idea who he was telling his story to. "I would have judged you, I mean. I still am a little bit, but I'm trying to get over it." He squeezed his eyes shut and took a deep breath.
"I'm one of the homophobes you hate. Or I was, at least. Not sure what I am now. Although I couldn't have been too bad if I changed so quickly, right?" James cracked an eye open to see Orion's response, and then sighed. "I guess before, I never knew anyone that was gay, so it was easy for me to lump all of you together and say, 'Bad, don't be with them'. But now I see. That's not the case at all."
He leaned his head back against the wall. "Now I see." He repeated. "We don't know the damage we cause."
Batcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:01 pm

"To be honest, I probably would have a few days ago." This confession surprised Orion, and he cast James a sharp glance, his blazing green eyes more intense than usual. "I would have judged you, I mean." James clarified, "I still am a little bit, but I'm trying to get over it."
He offered a noncommittal grunt in response. There was nothing else he could do but remain neutral. After all, as much as James's confession grated him, so the man's honesty impressed him. He could not hold the judgement against him when he had so willingly admitted it, even if he'd wanted to. 
"I'm one of the homophobes you hate." At this, Orion's eyes flashed in earnest, and for the first time, he looked at James with a dangerous expression, temper rising hotly.
"You what?"
"Or I was, at least. Not sure what I am now. Although I couldn't have been too bad if I changed so quickly, right?" James quickly tried to justify, and Orion's eyes narrowed as the other man looked at him. He grunted, shrugging his shoulders, and looked away again. There was no point being angry with James. He wasn't the one who had killed Luke.
"I guess before, I never knew anyone that was gay, so it was easy for me to lump all of you together and say, 'Bad, don't be with them'." James continued explaining, oblivious to Orion's sudden iciness, "But now I see. That's not the case at all." There was a soft thud as his head fell back against the wall, "Now I see." He repeated. "We don't know the damage we cause."
"I suppose I can't fault you for that." He murmured under his breath, though the reluctance in his tone stated that he would very much like to, "Of course nobody ever means any harm. It's all fun and games, inn'it?" He sighed, rubbing his head wearily, "Until somebody gets hurt."
From there, the silence lasted a long while, and presently, Orion began to wonder just how it was that he had come to open up to James like this in the first place. Was it really his likeness to Luke? Certainly, that had something to do with it, but in the end, there was something about James that made him want to open up. Some quality in the proud lines of his face that made Orion think that he could be trusted. 'Trust' was not a feeling he had very often.
"This is all pretty depressing." He pointed out at last, "Usually it takes a guy a couple of beers to get this deep." He laughed halfheartedly, still not quite smiling. "Sorry, James. I've spilled out a lot of things to you today." He rubbed his face wearily, "It's so unlike me... But when you came up to me on the beach, well... I guess I cracked a little bit." This time, his amusement actually lifted his lips as he breathed a chuckle under his breath. "No good deed goes unpunished, right?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Batcat on Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:55 pm

This was a mistake.
That was the only thought running through James's mind as soon as he met Orion's stormy green eyes. The other man was trying to not be angry, it seemed, but it wasn't doing much good. James didn't blame him, not really. After all, it wasn't beyond reason for Orion to be angry about this. He was a faggot and James hated faggots.
With a small, angry sigh, he fell down against his mattress and resolved to sleep for a few hours until his family came. And then Orion would excuse himself from the room because he had wanted to do that in the first place. And James would visit with his parents, put up with Tess, and at the end of the night, go to the residence assistance office and ask for a new roommate. That would be the key to solving everything. Then he would never need to look at Orion's eyes again, filled with their rage and sorrow. Never again.
"I suppose I can't fault you for that. Of course nobody ever means any harm. It's all fun and games, inn'it? Until somebody gets hurt."
James pulled the blanket over his head and wanted to die. He never should have brought this up. As long as he got through the next few hours, he would be okay...
"This is all pretty depressing. Usually it takes a guy a couple of beers to get this deep. Sorry, James. I've spilled out a lot of things to you today. It's so unlike me... But when you came up to me on the beach, well... I guess I cracked a little bit."
"A little bit." James muttered under his breath, but the blanket muffled the statement. Maybe Orion didn't hear.
"No good deed goes unpunished, right?"
He chuckled bitterly and rolled over to face the wall. "Don't. Don't feel like you need to justify me. I don't..." He sighed. "I don't even know. Just... I'm sorry. I really am. About everything."
Batcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:29 pm

"Don't be." Orion answered simply, shrugging off James's apology as if it was the most bizarre thing he'd ever heard. Suddenly robbed of his tiredness, he swung his legs over the edge of the bed, but did not immediately drop down. "You've done nothing to be sorry for." Not to me, anyway.
"And besides, you're the closest thing I have to a friend." He grunted as he jumped down from the bed, stinging his soles on the hard, wooden floor, "You're entitled to a flaw."
Straightening up, he dusted himself off, then prowled over to his bag. After rummaging around in it for a few seconds, some plastic rustled over his fingertips, and his expression brightened.
"Aha." He gripped the plastic, and pulled, bringing a bag of marshmallows exploding from the top of his bag.
"I'm not proud of how many bags of these things I go through during exam time." He said seriously, ripping the bag open, then prowling over to James's bed, and shaking it at him. Perhaps it was his way of making amends for the heavy atmosphere. After all, poor James seemed to be on a bit of a downer all of a sudden. Frankly, Orion couldn't blame him, but either way, he couldn't have James looking so mopey when his family arrived. Not if he would be stuck meeting them as well.
"Here." He said, brandishing the packet like some deadly weapon, "Take one, or I'll start shoving them into your mouth until you choke. Everybody loves marshmallows." He gave the bag another rough shake, "You have no excuse."

Back to top Go down

Post  Batcat on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:51 pm

James still felt really horrible about the whole thing, so even when Orion threatened to shove marshmallows down his throat, he was hard pressed to even force a smile. But he managed, and took one, shoving it into his mouth and chewing it like it was the enemy ((please don't comment on my choice of words, I'm half high on some new cleaning chemical in my room)).
He hopped down from his bed and rummaged through his bag. "I brought mac and cheese for finals week. And beer. But the beer is for all the time." He shrugged and pulled out his keyboard, and then swore loudly after setting it on the bed.
He had forgotten that he couldn't play.
With a sigh, he plugged the cord in next to Orion's bed and climbed up his ladder, sitting down next to the instrument. I can still play left hand... he mused to himself, and then tested out a few fingerings. It felt weird to not have it perfectly balanced, but he'd manage.
James glanced over at Orion with a small smirk on his face, and began playing the bass clef part of the piece he had begun about his roommate. He was able to remember most of it, and what he didn't, he just made up. The music didn't sound half so harsh as it had before without the shrill high notes, and it seemed pretty, if a little sad. Bittersweet was a good word for it.
"Toss me a marshmallow? I'm starved." His smile was small and his eyes hopeful. Maybe he didn't need to be so dramatic about the whole gay thing. "I'm starved."
Batcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:21 am

Orion waited with an expectant scowl, holding the bag stubbornly in James's face, until at last his roommate took a marshmallow, and popped it into his mouth with a small, fake smile.
"Good man." He teased gruffly, helping himself to another. He loved marshmallows. They were like little sugary pillows. 
As he was enjoying his sweet mouthful, James finally got down from his bed, and began rummaging through his bag. Orion just watched him, leaning back against the ladder to his bed. 
"I brought mac and cheese for finals week." He said as he pulled out his keyboard, "And beer. But the beer is for all the time."
"Sure, sure." Orion nodded briefly, slightly amused by this. James sure did love his beer - it was a pity the feeling wasn't mutual. But if he was to have a repeat of the sad clown show every few days, he was sure he would begin to appreciate then entertainment. What better way to get to know his roommate, after all, than to wait until he was sloshed enough to pour out his heart?
Suddenly, a loud curse interrupted his thoughts, and Orion glanced up to see James wrestling his keyboard onto the bed. He must have forgotten about his wrist for a moment... Come to think of it, he had forgotten as well.
"Where's your brace?" He mumbled, mostly to himself. After a brief glance around, he caught sight of it sitting innocently on the desk right beside the bathroom door, and walked over to pick it up. When he turned back, James had already started playing with his left hand. Orion paused a moment to watch, impressed as always by the elegance with which his fingers tapped the keys, pouring out a melody as smooth as liquid silk. 
The music held him spellbound until the very end, and then he twitched like a robot coming out of standby, quickly shaking his head to refocus his mind as James said, "Toss me a marshmallow? I'm starved."
As he was about to tell James that these were his marshmallows and that he could take a hike, Orion's eyes met his, and he stopped. His friend looked somehow lighter, more hopeful. It was a relief to see. Maybe we can brush this whole thing off after all...
After a moment's hesitance, his lips mirrored the small smile on James's face. It was so subtle that it was barely there, and yet it was, undeniably, a smile. The first since they'd met, in fact.
Looking back toward the bag of marshmallows, he considered James's question again, then looked up and answered sweetly, "No."
He had already shared one of his precious marshmallows, after all. That was quite enough.
"If you let me put this back on you," He held up the wrist brace, "Then maybe you can have another."
Without waiting for permission, he vaulted up onto the edge of James's bed, then reached for his friend's wrist, holding it gently steady as he secured the brace around it once more. 
"There you go. You'll strain it if you keep leaving that off, and then it'll take longer to heal, you know."
He tipped the bag of marshmallows toward James, and nodded for him to take one. Frankly, after growing up in an orphanage, sharing had always been particularly difficult for him. Even something as simple as offering his friend a marshmallow wasn't easy, but since he was keen to make amends for their discussion a moment ago, he was willing to give it a try.
"You know you owe me a beer for this, right?"
Well... He had tried.

Back to top Go down

Post  Batcat on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Orion seemed a little hesitant to share his marshmallows, James noticed, but when his eyes flickered up and met James's, he softened. A flicker of a smile even touched his face, transforming the sullen visage into something pleasant, even a little handsome. James's breath hitched in his throat, and he fought the rush of blood to his cheeks. What was he thinking?
He is handsome, though, something from the back of his mind whispered. Nice cheekbones, beautiful eyes, everything...
He swallowed nervously and glanced down, away from the smile. The music stopped flowing from his fingertips at that instant, and he stumbled over a few notes in his confusion.
"No."
The innocent little word caused James to look up at Orion with eyes wide in surprise. Honestly he hadn't expected to be refused - after all, it was just common courtesy...
"If you let me put this back on you, then maybe you can have another."
Somehow his roommate had gotten a hold of his wrist brace and was waving it in James's face. He rolled his eyes as Orion climbed up onto the bed and quickly fastened the binding over his wrist. James blushed at the contact, the whisper of Orion's pale skin against his tan. It made him blush even more, and for a moment, he wondered what it would be like to run his hands across the other man's arm and just feel the warmth.
Then he banished the thought from his mind and sighed, leaning back against his pillow as Orion offered him another marshmallow. James took one and bit it in half, chewing softly for a moment, and then finishing it. He licked his fingers when he was done, and then smirked at Orion's comment about the beer.
"My beer stash is completely open, Orion. Feel free to go ahead and drink whatever you want - just don't take the last one. That drives me crazy."
He chuckled and pulled his knees up to his chest, only too aware of Orion's continued presence next to him. He attempted to appear distracted by grabbing his sheet music and pretending to read it, but he was sure that his glances from the corned of his eye to the man were obvious.

[[God, you're SO GAY.]]
Batcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:43 pm

As he finished replacing the brace on James's wrist, Orion noticed a distinct blush colouring the man's cheeks. He frowned, faintly  puzzled by this reaction, but before he could think about it too much, James finished the marshmallow he'd offered, and said, "My beer stash is completely open, Orion. Feel free to go ahead and drink whatever you want - just don't take the last one. That drives me crazy."
"That's a dangerous offer." A soft chuckle escaped his lips, "But alright, deal. Just don't let me have more than two in a row, or I might end up killing somebody." He joked dryly, taking back his marshmallows, and eating another. He shuddered slightly with the pleasure of the sweetness, and scoffed down one more before he'd even finished chewing. Marhsmallows had been his favourite snack since he was a child. He would always love them. 
As he devoured his marshmallows, Orion soon noticed that James was behaving rather strangely. At first he'd thought that the other man was just in a world of his own reading his sheet music, but the more Orion looked at him, the more he saw James's eyes hurriedly darting away from him. His shoulders were stiff with tension, and there was colour in his cheeks that looked far from comfortable. At first he tried to convince himself he was imagining it, but the anxious sideways glances kept coming, and at last, Orion realized that he was clearly making James feel uncomfortable. He couldn't blame his friend for it. James had just found out that he was gay, after all, and as a bit of a homophobe, it was to be expected that he would react this way. Still... Orion could not deny, it stung a little. He supposed it always would. 
"Maybe I'll grab one of those beers now." He said as an excuse, dropping down from the bed to give James back his precious personal space, and packing the marshmallows away in his bag again. He crossed over to the little bar fridge in the corner, then stole himself a beer and cracked the top, taking a quick sip. It burned and tingled on the way down, and he pulled a face, irritated by the fizzing in his mouth. As much as he liked beer, he hated it every bit as much.
"So, James..." He glanced at his watch and took another sip, then swung a leg over the chair at the desk behind him, sitting backwards on it with his arms hooked over the backrest. "What time do you think your family will be here, anyway?" He watched his roommate - from a safe distance, now - his green eyes as piercing as ever. "Do you still want me to stick around?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Batcat on Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:03 am

"That's a dangerous offer. But alright, deal. Just don't let me have more than two in a row, or I might end up killing somebody."
James had no trouble believing that, either. If Orion was so hot-headed sober, what would he be like with his mental faculties incapable of controlling him?
After a while of uncomfortable silence, Orion cleared his throat and got up, jumping down from the bed. "Maybe I'll grab one of those beers now."
James nodded his consent and was a little relieved when the man moved, but at the same time, the a chill crept in where warmth had previously been. It didn't feel too great, but at least the contact was gone. That was what he had wanted. He bit his lip and glanced down at the music again, his eyes running over the notes blankly, routinely identifying chords without putting much effort into it. He hadn't looked at this piece since he had written it most likely, so it was almost a stranger to him. The reasons it was written and the motives behind the composition were completely lost to him. It was disappointing in a way, so he spent the next few minutes racking his brain for any information pertaining to the piece.
"So, James... What time do you think your family will be here, anyway? Do you still want me to stick around?"
"Hm?" James lifted his head and brushed back his bangs behind his ear. "Oh, yeah... They should be here... in about an hour." He glanced at the clock for reference and nodded. "Yeah, in an hour. And of course you're staying. I'm not kicking you out." He rolled his eyes and hopped down from the bed.
"Besides, I doubt that I'd be able to put up with my parents on my own." He shrugged and began piling up all of the beer cans into his bag and shoved it underneath the bed. "I need to clean all this shit up though." He sighed and set to work.
Batcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:29 pm

After Orion had spoken, James quickly loosed up at him, brushing his bangs behind his ears in an oddly girlish fashion. The gesture was so unexpected, so downright cute, that for a moment Orion felt his cheeks begin to flush, and he had to take a hurried sip of beer to cool himself down. Shuddering off the moment, he put down his beer, and rubbed his face wearily as James began answering his question. He was too distracted to listen. Frankly, his own reaction just then had rattled him. It had been a long day, and he was clearly over-tired. He would put it down to that, and move on.
Nodding firmly, he yawned to confirm his decision, then licked his lips and had another sip of beer, looking back at James as he continued, "Yeah, in an hour. And of course you're staying. I'm not kicking you out."
"You don't have to kick me out." He pointed out, leaning casually on the backrest in front of him, "I'm happy to leave."
James ignored him, and jumped down from his bed.
"Besides, I doubt that I'd be able to put up with my parents on my own. I need to clean all this shit up though."
Orion watched for a moment as James began shoving cans under the bed, then he stood with a grunt, stretched his back, and grumbled, "Don't do it like that. If they look under the bed, you're in trouble. Here," He set his full can down, and gathered a few more empty ones from the ground, "Let me help you. I'll run them out to recycling first, it's no hassle."
He scratched the few stray cans out from under the bed, then found himself a plastic bag, and began piling them inside. It was a decent way to keep his mind occupied, if a boring one. 
"Leave this to me." He told James, dismissing him with a wave of his hand, "You can get the rest of your shit done."
Picking up his own beer, he downed the last of it, then tossed the can into the full packet and tied the top, hoisting it over his shoulder. 
"Running to recycling." He grunted, "I'll see you in a sec."

Roughly ten minutes later, Orion walked back up the stairs to the dormitories, dusting his hands on his pants. The door to his room was closed. So, knocking briefly, he turned the handle and shoved it open, then stopped, blinking in surprise. It seemed that James's family had arrived somewhat early... And suddenly, he didn't feel all too confident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Batcat on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Orion went out to put all of the empty cans in the recycling bin, and James realized just how much he’d been drinking. He’d really need to start slowing down and rationing that stuff out…
A knock on the door startled him from his thoughts, and he marched over to it irritably. “You can let yourself in, you know?” He gave a yank on the door handle, and there stood his family – not his roommate.
“Oh, hey.” James said, lifting a hand to scratch the back of his neck awkwardly. “Sorry, I thought you were Ori- My roommate.”
Tess gave him a big smiled as she flounced in, brown ringlets bouncing as she brushed past him. She dropped her small backpack onto his chair and sat down in it – just as Aine had before.
“That’s okay, James!” His mother said with an equally large smile. Only his father looked slightly displeased. His eyes swept over the small room with a chilling efficiency, examining every item in every crevice. Suddenly James felt a little embarrassed about the condition of the room. Aine had done a good job cleaning it up, that was certain, but even she couldn’t completely prevent two university boys from beginning to trash it again. Subtly, he moved the folder full of sheet music behind his back and extended his left hand to his father, who shook it awkwardly with his right. Handshakes were always awkward between the two.
“What happened to your wrist?” Tess nearly yelled and leapt up from the seat. She grabbed his elbow and wrenched his arm around to see the brace, and he had to restrain himself from crying out in pain. As it was, he let out a hiss of discomfort, and his sister promptly released him.
“Stupid accident.” He said with a shrug, tossing the folder up onto his bed. “I was trying to climb down the ladder with my flute. Too many things at once. Fell.”
His mother tsked in mock shame. “Oh James, you should be more careful.”
“Yeah, James.” Tess echoed, putting a mocking edge on the words. “Everyone knows you’re not coordinated enough to do two things at once.”
James bit back a retort about how not everyone had the experience of doing two guys at once, but figured that the comment would not be appropriate in front of their parents.
Just then Orion walked in, saving him from having to respond in any way, although at once all thoughts were gone and replaced by sheer embarrassment.
His mother’s jaw dropped and she made soundless motions as she saw the man for the first time. His father wasn’t much better; the usual stoic expression was replaced by wide eyes and clenching of the jaw. Only Tess seemed unsurprised and accepting, which was surprising. She flashed the man a big smiled and walked over to him. “I’m Tess! I’m sure James has told you all about me.”
James could only groan in dismay. “I didn’t let you come here to harass my roommate.”
The girl rolled her eyes and folded her arms across her chest. There was a little more meat on her figure since the last time he’d seen her – she’d been at cheer camp for most of the summer – which was a good thing. Before it had looked like someone poking her arm in the wrong way might break a bone. Now she looked like a young woman, someone who would probably hit someone back if they poked her the wrong way.
“I’m not harassing him.” She said with exaggerated attitude. “I’m just asking him if you’ve been a good big brother.”
James sighed. “Whatever, Tess. Anyway-”
“And besides,” she continued, interrupting him with a wave of her hand. “Mom and Dad said that your roommate could take me on a tour around the campus to show me some of the key points while they talked to you!” She flashed a winning smile at Orion.
It’s a good thing he’s gay, or Tess would be all over him. It was strange in a way; James didn’t think that Orion would be her type.
“We do need to talk, James.” His mother said, turning to face him. Dark hair just like Tess’s framed her face. “Alone, preferably.”
An overwhelming sense of dread came over James and the world slowed around him. What was going on. “Yeah, okay.” He heard himself say numbly. “Sure. Orion, you don’t have to take my sister around… but… yeah.”
Tess skipped over to wear Orion was standing, short pink skirt drifting out behind her and clutched his arm. “Let’s go!” The pulled him out the door.
The slam of it made James swallow as he turned to face his father, who for the first time met him with stone cold grey eyes. “Son…” He began.
Batcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:18 am

The eyes upon him were judgmental, to say the least. In fact, between James's mother gaping like a fish out of water, and his father glaring like a bulldog, Orion was beginning to wonder if they honestly thought he was some kind of alien. He glanced toward James for help, but since his roommate looked about ready to die from embarrassment, Orion figured that he had probably just walked in at a bad time. 
"I'll, um..." He gestured with his thumb over his shoulder, but before he could take a step back, a girl he hadn't noticed before stepped forward with with a smile that looked as if it had been ripped from a magazine and pasted over her face.
"I’m Tess!" She said, as though announcing the queen, "I’m sure James has told you all about me.”
"Uh..." He looked at James, but his roommate just groaned and said to Tess, “I didn’t let you come here to harass my roommate.”
He just stood there, rubbing the back of his head awkwardly, while James and Tess bickered amongst themselves. Just as he was beginning to wonder if he could slip away before anybody had noticed, Tess turned to him with that magazine gloss smile again, and said, “Mom and Dad said that your roommate could take me on a tour around the campus to show me some of the key points while they talked to you!”
"Eh?" He grunted stupidly, just blinking dazedly at her. Show her around campus? He could barely find his own way around...
“We do need to talk, James.” His roommate's mother confirmed, and Orion frowned at the sudden seriousness in her voice. “Alone, preferably.”
He looked to his roommate, and saw James's face fall. He looked honestly worried. Protective as ever, Orion very nearly went over to him, but then reality hit, and he shifted back again, feeling distinctly awkward. So... Was he supposed to go? He glanced to James for confirmation. 
“Yeah, okay.” His roommate answered, “Sure. Orion, you don’t have to take my sister around… but… yeah.”
Nodding mutely, he turned around, and allowed Tess to drag him out into the hallway. The door shut behind them with an awful finality, and then he was left alone with Tess, trapped in the silence, while she watched him expectantly. 
After a moment he cleared his throat, then looked up and down. "Look, I'm not exactly one for campus tours... You're probably best off visiting admin and arranging someone to show you around. The main building's just to your right as you come in the entrance," he pointed, "You should have seen it when you came in. Anyway..." He scratched his head awkwardly, hoping that Tess would take the hint, "I have stuff to do, so..."

Back to top Go down

Post  Batcat on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:18 pm

As soon as the door slammed shut, it seemed as though Tess was a totally different person. She dropped her hands from Orion's arm and straightened up, glancing around with a mixture of new found curiosity and uneasiness from the situation she'd just left her brother in. James didn't like her, but still, it sounded like he was in some deep shit with Dad, and that was never a good thing. She couldn't just not feel bad about it.
"Look, I'm not exactly one for campus tours... You're probably best off visiting admin and arranging someone to show you around. The main building's just to your right as you come in the entrance,"
Tess rolled her eyes at his gesture but said nothing, just patiently waited for him to finish.
"You should have seen it when you came in. Anyway... I have stuff to do, so..."
"Nonsense." The girl protested, rolling her eyes. "I've been led around all day by adults who have no idea what even goes on at this place. How am I supposed to know if I want to come here if nobody tells me what it's like?" She glanced at his like it was supposed to be obvious that she couldn't.
"Besides," she continued, turning a corner that led to the lobby. There were kids sprawled around all over. A few of the boys eyed her with wolfish smiles on their faces, and she smirked back at them, flashing a wink at a particularly good-looking one. Then they passed through the main doors and were outside. There was a slight chill in the air, and faint streaks of pink were just beginning to show themselves in the sky. "I don't need a guided tour. Just tell me what everything is, and if we get lost, oh well." She gave him a wicked smile.
The pair continued walking for a moment, until they came to the foot of a large building, completely flat walls with large glass windows. "Like what's this building? And don't just tell me 'Oh, that's Smithe Hall, we have business classes there.' No, what actually goes on there?"
Batcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:14 am

"Nonsense." Tess argued, and Orion's eyebrows shot up in response. Was she serious?
"I've been led around all day by adults who have no idea what even goes on at this place. How am I supposed to know if I want to come here if nobody tells me what it's like?"
"Idunno." Orion grunted under his breath, shrugging and stuffing his hands into his pockets. He noticed Tess winking at some white-toothed stranger gaping at her from across the corridor, and he felt his jaw clench in annoyance. Orion did not often enjoy female company, and just then, Tess was doing a splendid job of illustrating why that was.
They headed out into the lobby, Orion shuffling reluctantly behind Tess with his hands shoved into his pockets, and the girl continued their conversation as though it had never paused.
"Besides," They reached the door, and he shoved through to step outside, not bothering to hold it for her. Tess just went on, undeterred, "I don't need a guided tour. Just tell me what everything is, and if we get lost, oh well."
Orion shuddered at the thought, and closed his eyes against the predatory smile on her lips. The cool breeze caught his fringe, and dusted the hair lightly against his face, refreshing his grim thoughts a little.
"I told you," He sighed, "You're better off-"
"Like what's this building?"
"Huh?" Orion stopped, turning back to see that Tess had stopped walking, and was pointing at a large, stone building to their left.
"And don't just tell me 'Oh, that's Smithe Hall, we have business classes there.' No, what actually goes on there?"
"What 'actually' goes on there?" He repeated, raising an eyebrow, "As if I give a crap." His voice took on an irritable edge now, and Orion had to bite the inside of his cheek to keep from snapping at the girl.
"If you're looking for gossipy stories about orgies and smoked-out college parties, then you've come to the wrong guy." He cast a distasteful glare at 'Smithe Hall', if that really was the name of the godforsaken place, and his upper lip curled snidely. "Now if you want a full recital of every science lecture given in this goddamn place in the last year, then maybe I can help you. Aside from that..." He pointed toward the dormitories, "That's the shithole we stay in," His finger swung around, this time jabbing toward another building, "That's the shithole we learn in, and," He pivoted back, pointing toward the road this time, "That's the escape route. Get out while you still can, if you want my advice."

Back to top Go down

Post  Batcat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:53 am

Tess wasn't exactly surprised by the man's reactions; he didn't really seem like the kind of guy that would want to talk to her from his own free will. So she said nothing as they continued walking until they passed Smithe Hall. There was a narrow alleyway in between the building and the cafeteria, about ten feet across, so Tess forcibly pushed Orion into the space, blocking his escaped by keeping her hands on his chest.
"Okay, you don't want to talk to me about this dump, I get that." Her brown eyes flashed a little angrily. "I don't even want to come here anyway. But I need to talk to you. About James."
She didn't move her hands, but lessened the tension in her arms, watching his expression carefully for any sign that he was about the run away. She didn't really have any chance of stopping him, she knew that, but she could probably jump up onto his back and squeal and giggle like she was having a good time, and Orion would probably die of sheer embarrassment if anyone saw.
"I'm really worried about him." She continued after a moment of silence. "He drinks a lot, doesn't he? He always hid the cans under his bed at home - you know, that was the first place I thought of checking when I suspected he was a little tipsy." A small smirk twitched the corner of her mouth up as her eyes darted to the ground, and then back up to Orion's shade-covered face. It unnerved her a bit that she couldn't see his eyes; they could be closed and he could be sleeping for all she knew.
"I'm really worried about that. And he has a lot of confidence issues. Like, he projects himself to be a really cocky, arrogant asshole - which can be annoying after you live with him for a few weeks, sorry-" she chuckled a little bit and dropped her hands to her side. "But he really isn't. He's an asshole, yeah, but to be totally honest, he probably doesn't mean to be. He's a genius, but social situations don't exactly come easy to him."
Tess turned and walked towards the wall leaning up against it and crossing her arms over her chest. "If you could help him feel better about himself that would be great. And try and stop his drinking problem too. I want him to have a kidney left by the time he's thirty. That's the only reason I wanted to talk to you, not because I want to come to this stupid place." She absently kicked a rock, which rolled about a foot in front of Orion.
"Besides, you seem like you care about James a little, so why not?" The girl chuckled, a little bitterly. "He cares about you too, which is more than I can say about me."
Batcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:36 am

Tess walked on beside him in silence as he prowled on, until they had passed Smithe Hall. Then, to his surprise, she suddenly shoved him over to the side. He grunted in surprise, nearly tripping under the pressure, and stumbling backwards away from her, his brow creasing into a frown.
"'The hell...?"
But before he could question her actions, she placed her hands on his chest and pushed him again. Skin crawling at the contact, Orion stumbled obediently back until the girl had him backed into a secluded alleyway between two buildings. Then, his patience ran out.
"What the f*ck do you think you're doing?" He snapped, knocking her arms aside and backing up defensively, as though he really did expect her to rape him, as James had warned. 
"Okay, you don't want to talk to me about this dump, I get that." She told him, starting to look a little angry now. Orion fell obediently silent, watching her with a sulky expression as she went on, "I don't even want to come here anyway. But I need to talk to you. About James."
At this, his brows drew swiftly together, showing interest for the first time. "What about him?" He asked quickly, folding his arms and leaning back against the wall. 
A moment of silence spread between them, then Tess confessed quietly, "I'm really worried about him. He drinks a lot, doesn't he? He always hid the cans under his bed at home - you know, that was the first place I thought of checking when I suspected he was a little tipsy."
He hesitated a moment, then nodded, stroking his chin thoughtfully. It was no secret that James enjoyed a can of beer or two. Or twenty. 
"I'm really worried about that. And he has a lot of confidence issues. Like, he projects himself to be a really cocky, arrogant asshole - which can be annoying after you live with him for a few weeks, sorry-" Tess chuckled, and despite himself, Orion echoed it. Yeah, James could be a bit of an arse, but to be honest, he didn't mind it much. If anything, he found his friend's arrogant edge to be somewhat endearing. In a 'dog trying to walk on its hind legs' kind of way. He was not surprised when Tess went on to say that he didn't mean to be the way he was, that it was merely the result of of poorly handled social interactions, and he nodded in response.
"I know." He murmured quietly, "For a smart guy, he can be dumb as shit around people. And I've noticed the confidence thing, and obviously the drinking, but..." He looked up, watching as she walked over to lean against the opposite wall, "What's your point?"
She folded her arms over her chest, seeming to consider him a moment, then said, "If you could help him feel better about himself that would be great. And try and stop his drinking problem too. I want him to have a kidney left by the time he's thirty. That's the only reason I wanted to talk to you, not because I want to come to this stupid place."
More than a little surprised, Orion felt his eyebrows draw together at this request. How was he, of all people, supposed to get through to James? As much as he'd love to help his new friend, this girl was his family. Surely, if anybody stood a chance of getting through to him... His thoughts trailed off as he noticed the stone that Tess had kicked, rolling over toward his foot. Grinding his teeth absently, he reached out a toe, rolling it slowly back and forth over the ground.
"Besides," Tess's voice continued from across the alley, "You seem like you care about James a little, so why not?" She broke to chuckle, though she did not sound amused, "He cares about you too, which is more than I can say about me."
He looked up at this, nearly tripping over the stone in the process, and righted himself with an awkward clear of his throat.
"I'm not so sure about that." He mumbled with a vague shrug, "But if you think I could help him, then I'll do what I can. I don't know how much help I'll be, but I'll try. That's the best I can do." He sighed, stepping forward, then kicking the offending stone down to the other end of the alley, watching as it ricocheted off the wall, then rolled until it settled again, shuddering and falling still several meters away. He looked back at Tess, considerably less brusque now that he knew she was only trying to help James, and not flirt with him.
"Is there anything else I should know? Anything else I should do?" He asked seriously, already looking like a man on a mission. "To sort out that jackass's shit, I mean."

Back to top Go down

Post  Batcat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:37 am

"I'm not so sure about that. But if you think I could help him, then I'll do what I can. I don't know how much help I'll be, but I'll try. That's the best I can do."
Tess sighed. It was about as much as she had expected him to do. He didn't seem like the kind of guy that would really commit to anything. He would just do what he wanted when he wanted. She watched as he kicked the stone to the back of the alley, cringing a little as it bounced off the back wall with a clang.
"Is there anything else I should know? Anything else I should do? To sort out that jackass's shit, I mean."
Tess pondered the question for a bit. "Do stuff with his music, he's really proud of that. Talk to him about science - but only if you're smart. If he has to teach you anything, that'll just make him irritated." She thought back to all the nights she'd tried to ask him for help on her chemistry homework. He had ended up getting mad at her halfway through and did it all himself, leaving her to recopy it in her own handwriting. She'd never done so well in a class in her life - until she had to take the tests. "Yeah... Science and music. He's also gay, if that makes any difference to you."
Once again, she wished that his sunglasses were off so she could judge his reaction. She had her suspicions, after all.
"He's in denial about it, so don't really tell him, but just know that he is." Tess continued slowly. "He left a journal on a table when he left for university, and by the time I figured out that was what it was, I was already three pages in." She shrugged. "He mostly contemplated that, although a little bit about his music and future too. His writing skills are terrible."
She made a face and glanced out the mouth of the alley.
"Just so you know, I didn't read the entire thing, so I don't know if he's come to terms with it yet, but I sincerely doubt it. He was really upset about it before, trying to come up with all of these rationalizations for it..." Her voice trailed off into silence.
Batcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:27 am

Orion just nodded impatiently as Tess went on, repeating everything that he'd already learned from living with James just a few days. The music, the science - he had figured those things out almost immediately, so if there was no other useful information that Tess had to mention, then-
He's also gay, if that makes any difference to you."
"What?" Orion looked up, his impatience vanishing in a flash as his full attention locked on Tess, who was now watching him with a funny expression. He remembered James's drunken babble that first night, but even despite his suspicions, he had tried hard to push it from his mind, for very good reason. To learn that James's sister actually knew was a shock that he had not been expecting. If even James himself was still in the dark, then how was it that Tess could tell him this with such certainty?
"How do you know?" He demanded, his voice a little sharper than he'd intended. He silently cursed himself for showing such reaction. 
"He's in denial about it, so don't really tell him, but just know that he is." Her voice seemed to grow slower as Orion's thoughts raced faster, "He left a journal on a table when he left for university, and by the time I figured out that was what it was, I was already three pages in. He mostly contemplated that, although a little bit about his music and future too. His writing skills are terrible."
She pulled a face, and Orion responded with a half-hearted grunt of amusement, his mind still caught up with the fascinating new piece of information.
"Just so you know, I didn't read the entire thing, so I don't know if he's come to terms with it yet, but I sincerely doubt it. He was really upset about it before, trying to come up with all of these rationalizations for it..."
"Hm." He quietly nodded his acceptance, and answered simply, "Alright. I won't bring it up. Thanks."
In fact, I'll probably try to forget that I ever heard that... He quickly shrugged off the thought, then turned back to Tess and asked, "Is that all?"
It had better be all. Learning that James actually was gay was more than enough surprise for one day, and already the pressure of the knowledge was beginning to weigh on him. It was difficult enough rooming with a straight man who reminded him of Luke; now that he knew James was gay... Well, he didn't even want to think of it. Those thoughts had no business being in his mind, in any case.

Back to top Go down

Post  Batcat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:13 pm

"Is that all?"
Tess arched an eyebrow coolly. 'Is that all' what not something that most straight guys said when they found out their roommate was gay. So either Orion was just a special, understanding snowflake, or he probably wasn't straight. The second option seemed much more likely.
"Yeah, that's about it." Tess said, dropping her eyes to the ground. She felt that there should be more to say about her brother, who was so complicated, but there really wasn't. They weren't that close, so she didn't know him very well. It was better than fighting all the time, she supposed, but it really kind of hurt that he hated her so much.
"Let's go." She murmured, walking out of the alley, slowly so that Orion would take the cue and catch up. The walk back to the dorm was less lively than before; Tess did not fill the silence with pointless chatter about what happened at this university. In all honesty, she didn't care at all. She wasn't going to go here anyway, so why did it matter?
When they got back to the dormitory, Tess smiled at the same boys from before as they passed through the lounge, but stopped just outside the door of James and Orion's room, choosing to slide to the ground against the wall instead.
"They're probably not done talking." She explained, rolling her eyes, beckoning for Orion to sit beside her.When he did, she fished through her purse and found a marker. Grabbing the man's arm, she carefully wrote her phone number on his skin. "I want you to text or call me if you get anywhere with him. Drinking or otherwise." The last part was heavily emphasized.
Just as she was about to finish the number, the door opened and James's parents walked out. Dad looked angry and Mom disappointed, Tess thought. What had happened.
"Remember," she said as she got up, completely transforming her appearance. "Call me." She flashed him a sultry wink and turned to follow her parents as they left without a word.
James sat on his bunk bed, knees pulled up to his chest, eyes red. The tears had stopped a few minutes ago, but he couldn't erase all traces of them.He stared at the wall across the room and said nothing, not even anything angry about his sister.
Batcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:32 pm

Little more was said on the topic, and when Tess turned to leave, Orion followed her meekly with his hands shoved deep into his pockets. Neither bothered making smalltalk on the way back, and the silence stretched all the way until they arrived back outside James's room. In Orion's opinion, it was not an uncomfortable one. Not as uncomfortable as conversation, anyway. 
"They're probably not done talking." Tess said as she slid down to sit beside the wall, gesturing for Orion to do the same. He cast one more glance toward the door, then shrugged and obeyed, sitting heavily beside James's sister in the middle of the corridor. 
They sat there a while, neither one of them talking, until suddenly, Tess grabbed his arm. Orion grunted in surprise, but as he was about to pull away, he noticed the marker pen in her hand. "What-"
"I want you to text or call me if you get anywhere with him." She explained as she began writing her number on his skin, "Drinking or otherwise."
"Right." He muttered, his arm twitching slightly. The pen tickled.
"What are they talking about in there anyway-" He started asking, then broke off as the door swung open beside him. His head jerked around in surprise, arm tensing as he tried to pull it from Tess's grip. She quickly finished writing down the number, then released him. 
"Remember, call me." She said as she got up, suddenly looking every inch the slut James had implied she was.
"Don't count on it..." He muttered under his breath, looking away distastefully as she and her parents began walking away. He would look after James because he wanted to, but he was not about to be Tess's personal messenger boy.
Nose wrinkled irritably, he tried to rub the ink from his arm, but it refused to budge. Permanent marker. "Shit."
With a heavy sigh, he brushed himself off, then got to his feet, rapping briefly on the open door as he walked back into his room.
"Hey." He said as he stepped inside, his voice automatically dropping to that gentle tone reserved solely for those few people he actually gave a crap about. His eyes fell upon James, and softened instantly in concern. His poor friend was curled up miserably in the corner, eyes red, and legs curled to his chest. He looked the very picture of misery. Frowning, Orion pushed the door shut and walked quickly to his side, already feeling more worried than he cared to admit.
"What happened?" He asked, stopping by James's bed, one arm resting lightly against the ladder, "Are you okay?"
Clearly, he wasn't. But seeing him looking so damn upset, Orion was too flustered to think of anything more intelligent to ask.

Back to top Go down

Post  Batcat on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:45 pm

James lifted his head to see Tess walking away, his mind numbly registering her swaying figure retreating down the hallway. Then Orion came in and blocked his view.
"What happened? Are you okay?"
James lifted his gaze to his Orion's shaded eyes, his expression a mixture of "are you kidding" and "no I'm not". His cheeks were still damp, and realizing this, he lifted his wrist and rubbed at the trails of wetness irritably. It had never been easy for him to cry in front of others, not since his father had told him that men didn't cry when he was what, seven? Yeah, then.
His eyes flickered around the room, occasionally settling on Orion's face, but never for long. His thoughts were too jumbled and occupied with the previous conversation to even realize the other man's close proximity. Had he been functioning correctly, he might have gotten flustered from the lack of distance, but now it was all he could do to even answer the question he'd been asked. As it was, he needed to think for a moment to remember what it even was.
"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine." He murmured, tipping over so that he was lying down. "Can you hand me a beer though? I'm going to need a lot of alcohol to deal with this shit..."
James squeezed his eyes shut and thought about what had happened.
"We found weed in your room, son," his father had said as soon as the door had shut. "Beneath the mattress of your bed."
He couldn't really remember ever having a stash of weed - he had certainly never used that stuff before, that would be ridiculous. But one of the more popular guys that always hung around him after that party was a fond user of it and...
James had tried telling them that it wasn't his, but they'd have no part of it. They'd also found his empty beer cans.
"I am so disappointed in you." His mother had said. James didn't care. He really didn't care what either of them thought.
"If anything else happens, your funding for school is up. I'm sure Tess and Lucy will appreciate the extra cash." His voice had been hard. He even checked under the bed for good measure, but found nothing, thanks to Orion's cleaning.
A few more angry words were spoken, his father shouted some more, and he began crying. He wasn't sure at what point the tears had come running, but his father noticed and called him out on it, calling him some very misogynistic and sexist names.
Then they had just sat in silence until they heard Tess and Orion get back. They hadn't even said goodbye when they left, which was just as well.
And now he was laying on his bed, hoping that his roommate would just fetch him his damn beer already.
Batcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top