Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In Time RP (Polo!)

2 posters

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next

Go down

In Time RP (Polo!)  - Page 14 Empty Re: In Time RP (Polo!)

Post  Dreambug Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:49 am

Toby didn't take his eyes off his friend, not even when he pushed his knight in obvious view of his pawn, practically asking for it to be knocked out. But Toby wasn't interested in the game anymore. Griffin looked... Defeated. He wasn't in the game either, and he no longer gave a damn whether he lost or not. He knew the kiss was troubling Griffin deeply, as being gay had troubled Toby for that entire day. But at least Griff now had someone on his side who understood him and what he was going through. It would probably take him longer to accept it, but Toby was now there to guide him when he got lost.
"You see, the thing is..." Toby began, as if they had been talking about it the whole time. They might as well have been. "There are some things I just know. I know the sun will rise in the morning and set in the evening." He lowered himself from the sofa so he was closer to the chessboard, and to Griffin, and lifted his king from the back of his set of chess pieces. "I also know if I ask you 'what's wrong?' you're going to say 'nothing' when we both know that's a lie." He reached over and knocked over Griff's king and queen with his single piece. He knew it was against the rules. But screw the rules. The chess game was just an excuse to ignore him and pretend it's what they're both interested in.
Picking up Griff's King and Queen, he gazed at his friend with a raised eyebrow.
"So instead I'm going to ask something else, because I already know what's wrong." Tossing the chess pieces aside he crossed his legs and resting his chin on his fist thoughtfully.
"Do you wanna talk about it?"
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:07 am

"You see, the thing is..." Griff looked up, frowning. It was as if Toby had just picked up the middle of a conversation, "There are some things I just know." He raised an eyebrow, "I know the sun will rise in the morning and set in the evening. I also know if I ask you 'what's wrong?' you're going to say 'nothing' when we both know that's a lie." Griffin remained silent, head bowed, and watched silently as Toby knocked down his chess pieces. He made no objection. Toby had seen through him, and he had no defense. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat, turning his head and rubbing his sore arm.
"It's that obvious, huh...?" His lips formed a subtle smile, but his eyes remained downcast, hidden in the shadow of his fringe.
"So instead I'm going to ask something else, because I already know what's wrong." Toby picked up the fallen pieces, and Griffin's eyes remained trained on his king and queen, right until Toby tossed them to the side, ridding him of his excuse to avoid his problems.
"Do you wanna talk about it?"
He looked up, meeting his friend's gaze at last. For a long moment it seemed he was considering it - in fact he seemed about to speak - but then he pointed sharply in the direction of his stolen Chess pieces, and said instead, "You know that doesn't count as a win, right?" He reached for the pieces, but his outstretched fingers fell short, so he shrugged and sat up again. "I still would have beaten you."
He looked at his friend with a smug expression, but when he saw Toby's serious, expectant gaze, his own pretense fell away. Smile sliding from his lips, he pinched a pawn from the board and rolled it in his fingers, looking down at his hands.
"I've never really been one to talk." He admitted quietly, his voice softening as he relented at last to Toby's questions. "Well, I guess I talk all the time, really, but not... About things. Important things." His jaw tightened. Now that he was talking, he was amazed by how difficult it was. Never had he be expected to be so lost for words. Griffin took in a deep breath, then released it in a sigh.
Still nothing. He scratched his head.
"I don't know what to say." He admitted at last, shrugging helplessly and looking up at Toby with a weak smile. "I was shocked and scared, and needed comfort. You were there, so..."
So I kissed you. God, that sounds slutty. He rolled his eyes at his thoughts.
"When it came down to it," He closed his fingers around the pawn, hand clenching into a fist, "I didn't push you away, because I didn't want to. I don't know if that makes me gay or whatever. I've never really thought about it. When it comes to relationships, I've always just kind of... Looked the other way." He smiled, looking almost apologetic. "But now, I-" In a heartbeat, his courage failed him, and Griffin shrunk away again, rubbing his arms timidly as he felt his eyes evade Toby's. "I don't know. What do you think?" He looked expectantly at Toby, desperate to shift the spotlight, "What do you want?"
Polo trapped in an inkpot

Location : With the beast under your bed, in your closet, in your head...

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:14 pm

Toby narrowed his eyes in a bored fashion when Griff made the point that his moves hadn't counted as a 'win' in Chess. He was done with avoiding the subject now. If something was bothering Griff this much he wanted to know about it.
"I've never really been one to talk." Griffin replied, finally giving in to Toby's question. "Well, I guess I talk all the time, really, but not... About things. Important things."
Toby nodded, shifting into a more comfortable position like a young child at 'story time. All Griffin needed was a little push, then he'd talk.
After a long, difficult pause, Griffin admitted quietly. "I don't know what to say."
Sighing, Toby glanced down at the chess board with his chin on his fist, as if deciphering his next mood. One would think the game was still commencing. But when Griff went on to say that he'd been scared and Toby had been there, he felt his face fall slightly. 'I was scared and needed comfort' wasn't the best excuse. Besides... To Toby it seemed different. He'd given Griff the chance to think it through, to pull away, to give him a reason to stop where he was. But Griff had resisted his pleas, which meant he must have felt something. Something. Whatever that was, Toby just hoped it hadn't disappeared completely.
"I don't know. What do you think?"
"Hm?" Toby frowned, lifting his head to meet his friend's silent desperation of a gaze, his eyes narrowing slightly. What did he think?
"What do you want?"
What did he want?
Toby nearly laughed outloud. Since when was this conversation ever about him? He'd had his mental breakdown. He'd ripped his hair out over this, over the possibility of being gay. Hell, he still didn't quite understand it. But Griff had practically just thrown this on himself, feelings and all. He couldn't be expected to put his finger on it yet. Still... What did it matter what Toby wanted?
He noticed the expectation in Griff's eyes, but Toby refused to answer the question. Not in his head, not outloud.
"What I want shouldn't matter." He replied carefully, leaning his head on his hand with a slightly bored expression. "In fact, leave me out of this. I don't want my thoughts on this change how you feel." He leant back on his palms and stretched a leg out in front of him, knicking down some of the chess pieces in the process.
"You don't have to make any decisions now, Gryfindor. I just want to see where we both stand after what happened out there." He waved it off with a flick of his hand. "But you're not going to know exactly how you feel here and now."
He studied Griff's expression, tense with worry, and sighed.
"I tell you what, how about we go on as we always have. If anything happens, then it happens. Nothing to worry about." he shrugged, his lips twitching upwards in a reassuring smile. "And if it doesn't, that's fine too."
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:20 pm

"What I want shouldn't matter." The words weren't harsh, but Griffin winced. Toby had slammed his escape hutch shut, just like that. There would be no wiggling out of this one, no matter how hard he tried. "In fact, leave me out of this. I don't want my thoughts on this change how you feel." When Toby's foot knocked down some of the chess pieces, Griffin grumbled in annoyance, automatically starting to set them straight. He welcomed the distraction. Times like this, his attention deficiency was his saviour.
"You don't have to make any decisions now, Gryfindor. I just want to see where we both stand after what happened out there. But you're not going to know exactly how you feel here and now." He hung his head, fiddling with a stray pawn.
"I-" He looked up, and Toby's tense expression stopped him. He slowly shut his mouth, and fell meekly silent.
"I tell you what, how about we go on as we always have." Again he looked at his friend, and the reassuring smile he saw made his heart ache. Once again, Toby was just looking out for his best interests. "If anything happens, then it happens. Nothing to worry about. And if it doesn't, that's fine too."
Wide-eyed, he searched his friend's face, his heart quickly starting to race. He would have liked nothing more than to throw his arms around Toby and hug him until he couldn't even catch his breath, but as it always did, his shyness stopped him.
How could he make Toby understand what he wanted when he barely understood himself?
I don't want to go on like before. I want this. I want you. I don't know why... I just know.
"But I-" He tried, but the words died on his lips, and with a moment's hesitance, he slackened his shoulders and nodded quietly.
"Okay." The smile didn't quite reach his eyes, "Just like before..." He rubbed the side of his face absentmindedly, then got to his feet and began packing up the Chess set. His fingers fumbled clumsily with the pieces, still shaky from his big fright.
"Hey, Toby?" He lifted up the board, and looked at his friend with an earnest smile, "Thank you for saving me. Again."

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:18 pm

"But I-" Griffin began, but something stopped him. Toby wasn't sure what it was, but he felt himself frown at the objection. Griffin didn't want to go on as normal, did he?
"But what?" Toby urged, but Griffin made no attempt to speak again. The poor guy still looked shaken from everything that had happened that day. Besides... He looked nervous. Shy, maybe? It wasn't new. But Toby couldn't help but wonder if maybe he had caused the shyness. Not for looking scary - although he thought he looked pretty harmless - but for another reason. He knew what that reason was, but he was too afraid to bring it up in case Griffin denied it.
"Okay." Griff smiled thinly, although the smile didn't reach his eyes. "Just like before..."
Toby's frown furrowed. There was definitely something wrong, here. But he couldn't read his friend's mind. He wanted to know what he was thinking.
He watched his friend begin to collect all the Chess pieces. His shaky fingers fumbled around with the pawns.
"Hey, Toby?" Toby looked up obediently. His face was blank. "Thank you for saving me. Again."
"No need to thank me." He replied coolly, shooting Griff a crooked smile. Kneeling up he added, "Just doing my job."
I sound like Superman, he thought with vague annoyance. Groaning, he shrugged the thought off like a speck of dust on his shoulder.
"Here, let me do it." He offered, taking the remaining chess pieces off the board and opening up the box the board was sat on. Inside was tiny compartment for each set. He then gently took the rest from Griffin, and their fingers brushed together momentarily.
Toby froze. He couldn't lift his fingers away.
He sat there for a long moment, staring down at their hands, barely touching, with his brow wrinkling at the centre. Deep inside his chest his heart fluttered at the contact, but outwardly, he only looked faintly stirred.
"Griff?" He asked quietly, delicately cupping his hand around the small variety of chess pieces in Griffin's hand. His faint, blue eyes dragged up to meet Griff's, sparkling with wonder. With confusion. Desperation.
I want you to talk to me. Really talk to me.
"What... What do you want?" He asked, still not taking his hand off Griffin's. He was leaning over the chessboard, just slightly, due to the motion. But he wasn't quite close enough to hear Griff's breathing, nor see his heart beating against his small chest.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Griffin snorted in amusement at Toby's 'superhero' response, rolling his eyes. The next time Toby claimed he wasn't Superman, Griff would quote that right in his face.
"Here, let me do it."
"Hm?" Griffin looked up, blinking in surprise. "Oh... Okay."
Do I look like I need help?
Toby reached for the chess pieces in his hand, and when his friend's fingers brushed his, Griffin felt his heart skip a beat. The memory of the kiss fluttered through his mind, and he swallowed anxiously.
"Griff?" It took him a long moment to tear his gaze away from the sight of Toby's fingers curling in his palm, but when at last he managed, he was met by a desperately confused gaze. Taken aback by the shocking sight, Griff moved away an inch, blinking uncertainly. His heart raced faster, and he felt his fingers curl in towards Toby's. His wide green eyes searched Toby's face; hoping, pleading. The fear wasn't enough to push him away any more.
"What... What do you want?"
Toby didn't move his hand away, and he sounded faintly breathless. Somehow, his uncertainty gave Griffin courage. He looked down at their hands, innocently entwined. Slowly, he wrapped his fingers around Toby's, the chess pieces falling forgotten to the floor. For a long moment, Griff stared down at their hands. Toby's was so big, it enveloped his dainty fingers completely. It was a perfect fit.
Timidly, a smile twitched at his lips. He looked up, and as his eyes searched his friend's face, the smile forsook him, dying as his trembling lips parted.
He swallowed anxiously and, eyes still locked on Toby's, pulled his friend's hand toward his heart.
His eyes closed, and at long last, his sensual lips mumbled a response. Barely audible. A single word.
"You."
No more needed to be said.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:50 am

Toby's eyes dropped back to his hand as he watched Griffin's fingers tighten around his, causing the chess pieces to topple to the floor. The noise sounded like a bomb dropping in the silence, but Toby's hand still refused to move away.
I'm definitely going to Hell for this.
He didn't fight the dainty fingers that cupped around his, but he remained frozen, leaning forward over the chessboard. He wanted to believe this was wrong. Not to fall in love with a guy, but for him to fall in love at all. He was a convict. A runaway. Even worse... Griffin was a Timekeeper! He couldn't be in any more danger being with a man like Toby. In every way possible.
And yet... Here he was. Holding hands with him, and he had no intention of pulling away.
In a flash Griff had taken his hand and pulled it to his chest, forcing Toby forward onto the chessboard. The remainder of pieces toppled to the floor. Their eyes locked together, both looking faintly nervous, both their hearts fluttering.
"You." Griffin replied simply, his words barely more than a whisper.
For the faintest of moments, Toby's face fell in despair. I've done it now. I've pulled someone in, when I promised myself I wouldn't.
But he guessed... In the end, it was always going to come down to this. It didn't matter how close they were, just the fact they were close was enough. One more level up didn't make much of a difference.
Nodding quietly, Toby squeezed the hand in his, then gently wriggled out of it. Instead of pulling away, however, he ran his hand up Griff's shirt to his neck, his fingertips trickling over the soft, tender skin below his jawline, then around the back of his head. Here he cradled Griff's head like a newborn baby, using his other hand to caress Griffin's opposing cheek, locking their eyes together.
Slowly, very slowly, he smiled. But his lips barely moved, but his eyes were shining with life.
"Well... What a pair we make." He mused, then released a whisper of a laugh. "A Timekeeper and a runaway. It'd make for an interesting romantic tragedy."
You need to know what you're getting yourself into.
His eyes looked sad for a moment.
But I don't want to lose anyone else.
Swallowing, Toby ran his fingers through Griff's hair, pulling it back to reveal the rest of his young face.
"I'm not sure if this will go more than one way." He murmured sadly. His dull, blue eyes seemed to turn to a smoky grey in his despair, and suddenly fourteen years of grief could be seen in his handsome features. His head bowed weakly for a moment as he attempted to regain his composure, then it lifted again.
"But whatever happens you know I would lay down my life to protect you. Superman or not." He winked, but it didn't bring any more light to his eyes. "And they'll come at us," he pointed a finger to the ceiling, but it was evident who exactly he meant. "With everything they've got. Are you prepared?"
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:23 am

Griffin felt Toby's fingers slip away from his, and his head jerked up, eyes wide in alarm.
Isn't this what you wanted?
He looked searchingly at the man before him, but before he could worry a moment longer, Toby had inched closer, placing a hand against his shirt. Shocked, Griffin pulled away. The intimacy of the gesture was strange and unfamiliar. He felt fingers trace up his neck, round to the back of his head, and he shivered in response, glancing shyly away. It was all so new to him. Toby left goosebumps with every touch.
He felt his head lifted, a second hand on his cheek guiding his eyes to Toby's. Timid as a baby bird, he leaned back, feeling his own fingers close around a handful of his friend's shirt to lock him in place. He didn't want to let himself escape. Not this time.
"Well... What a pair we make." Toby's voice purred beside him. His eyes were sparkling, his face handsome in what might have been happiness. Griffin had never noticed it before.
"A Timekeeper and a runaway. It'd make for an interesting romantic tragedy."
"I call dibs on the rights." He responded, smiling weakly in amusement.
He saw the lines around Toby's eyes deepen, and before he knew it, he felt his hair pushed back from his face. Again he shied away from the intimate gesture, shrinking away into himself.
"I'm not sure if this will go more than one way."
Griffin studied his friend's suddenly grief-stricken face, frowning in confusion.
"What do you-"
Regaining his composure, Toby stopped him, and went on.
"But whatever happens you know I would lay down my life to protect you. Superman or not. And they'll come at us," He pointed at the ceiling, and Griffin needed no further explanation, "With everything they've got. Are you prepared?"
At the intensity in his friend's gaze, Griffin's expression softened. Smiling, he shook his head, and pushed Toby's hands gently away. He'd had enough of being petted.
"They would have come after us anyway." He pointed out fairly, "They already have, a few times. Or have you forgotten?" Shaking his head, he loosened his fist, releasing Toby's shirt, and pressed a flat palm to his chest instead. "Besides, they don't have to know. Frankly, I'm not sure if I want anyone to know." He felt his dainty features crease into a frown, and he found himself looking down, absentmindedly straightening Toby's shirt as he went on. He must have looked like a little wife from the '60s.
"I already get enough grief from those apes I call colleagues. If they found out I was gay, I'd probably end up duct taped to a chair in fake breasts and high heels." He pulled a face, chuckling under his breath. Still, no matter how hard he tried to hide it, it was obvious that the teasing bothered him. It wasn't a joke; not to him.
"You worry about me too much, you know." He tweaked the last crease out of Toby's shirt, then patted his chest in a final fashion, looking up to meet his gaze with a small smile, "I can take care of myself. It's not your responsibility." His lips tweaked into a cheeky smile, "Superman."

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:44 am

Toby glanced down, frowning, as Griffin eased his hands away. Slightly taken aback he sat back on his knees, then shifted to the side and pulled one up towards his chest. It was like, after that somewhat of an outburst, he was pulling up his shields again.
"They would have come after us anyway." Griffin pointed out. "They already have, a few times. Or have you forgotten?"
"I haven't forgotten." Toby grunted, rolling his eyes. "Just making sure you haven't."
He knew he was being paranoid, but he'd avoided getting close to people for this very reason. If another person got hurt because of him, or killed... He wasn't sure he'd be able to take it. He'd forget about his 'greater purpose' and everything he'd accomplished. Especially if it was Griffin. His friend had already had his life threatened and his body used to squeeze information out of Toby, and although sometimes there was nothing he could do, he would no longer stand back and do nothing. He couldn't expect Griff to be willing to be put in those situations for his own problems.
It didn't take much force from Griff for him to shift backwards, giving the man some more space. Toby's cheeks flushed.
"Besides, they don't have to know. Frankly, I'm not sure if I want anyone to know." Griffin continued, straightening out Toby's shirt. "I already get enough grief from those apes I call colleagues. If they found out I was gay, I'd probably end up duct taped to a chair in fake breasts and high heels."
They both shuddered.
Toby understood his point. Obviously this wouldn't be something they'd parade to the world. But what if either Cal or Paisley pick something up? They both had a habit of keeping an eye on Toby, and if they noticed anything... They'd most certainly use it against Toby and Griff when the time came.
When Griff made the point that Toby worried too much, he just rolled his eyes. Of course he did. Paranoia was what had kept him alive for the last fourteen years.
"I can take care of myself. It's not your responsibility."
"I know..." Toby agreed, bowing his head. "But I feel like it is. How many times have I needed to save you now?" He asked, raising his head to shoot Griff a teasing, crooked smile. "I'm sorry. I know I can be a bit paranoid sometimes." Shrugging, he picked up the chess board and pulled himself to his feet. He then wandered across the room and put it away in a small set of drawers for next time.
Sighing, he headed back to the sofa and sat down, leaning on his elbows to study Griffin curiously. It was amazing how quickly he could recover from shock just from being comforted in the right way. Toby wished he could be the same.
"How's your shoulder?" He asked seriously, nodding to Griff's swollen shoulder. "Do you think you'll need a cast for it?"
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:12 am

"You didn't need to save me." Griff huffed, turning up his nose indignantly, "I would have found a way to save myself." He thought back to their encounter a few minutes before and blushed, scratching the back of his head. "Maybe..."
Toby shot him a teasing smile, "I'm sorry. I know I can be a bit paranoid sometimes."
Griff stuck his tongue out childishly in response, curling up in a corner of the couch, and watching with beady eyes as Toby packed the chess set away. They hadn't even finished their game.
He watched his friend's back with narrowed eyes, then took out his phone and opened up a game of angry birds. He was bored already.
"How's your shoulder?"
"Hm?" He tilted his head slightly, but didn't look away from his phone.
"Do you think you'll need a cast for it?"
"A ca- Oi!" He jumped when he saw Toby sitting beside him, and blinked in surprise, phone falling to the ground. "When did you-" He pointed to the set of drawers across the room where he had just seen Toby, then glanced back at his friend, frowning. It was as if he'd teleported. Somehow, Griff hadn't noticed him approach.
"Never mind." He rubbed his shoulder absently, then added, "I think it'll be okay. I must just make sure I don't use it too much until it's healed." He smirked, "Like that's going to happen. I'm terrible at staying still."
Grinning sheepishly, he ruffled Toby's hair with his good hand, then bounced to his feet and picked up his phone.
"I'm bored." He pointed out unhelpfully, "Do something, would you?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:59 pm

Toby raised an amused eyebrow at Griff's reaction, like he really had teleported and was pretending he hadn't just to spite his friend. The look on Griff's face was priceless.
"I think it'll be okay. I must just make sure I don't use it too much until it's healed. Like that's going to happen. I'm terrible at staying still." Toby smirked at this. They were both thinking it, anyway. Still... if Griffin did move his arm it would be extremely painful, so he'd have to keep it still to avoid it hurting any more than it already did.
Still worn out from the day's excitement, Toby sank back into the dusty sofa and rested is head on a cushion behind him. He looked content enough to go to sleep there and then, but naturally, Griffin had other plans.
"I'm bored." He said, ruffling Toby's hair playfully and jumping to his feet. "Do something, would you?"
Toby's eyes cracked open, and he raised his eyebrows at the man-turned-little-boy before him. He chuckled, not moving a single muscle.
"I've been up since 5am, worked out for two hours and saved your life." He grunted like an old man, then raised a booted foot and thumped it down on the coffee table in front of him. He stared at Griff unblinkingly, looking completely unimpressed.
"I'm not a harlequin." He added stubbornly, then folded his hands behind his head. "In fact, you're the one stood up." He smirked. "Impress me, Gryfindor."
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:47 pm

"Spoilsport." Griffin grumbled, folding his arms at Toby's response, and flopping down on the couch with a huff, "You're no fun. Seriously, I don't even know why I bothered coming out today. If I'd stayed home, at least I could have hung out with Tara the Troll." He paused a moment, then glanced at Toby, and explained with a roll of his eyes, "World of Warcraft. I'm dating a troll, remember?"
Shooting his friend a smirk, he turned haughtily away, and snatched his phone out of his pocket, opening his game of Angry Birds again. He had been playing only a few minutes, when suddenly, his phone vibrated in his hand, and rang out loudly into the silence, sending the playful tune of his ringtone echoing throughout the room.
Yelping in surprise, Griffin nearly dropped his phone, then juggled with it for a second, while his favourite song blasted through the speakers.
"...I forget the last time I felt brave, I just recall insecurity
Cause it came down like a tidal wave, and sorrow swept over me..."

Pressing 'answer', and slamming the phone a little too hard against his ear in his haste, Griff winced as he mumbled breathlessly, "Hello?"
"Is that you Griffin?" A female voice asked excitedly at the other end of the line.
Frowning, Griffin stood up, pressing the phone to his ear as he paced to a corner of the lair, not that it made the conversation any harder to overhear.
"Who's asking?" His eyes narrowed cautiously.
"Oh Griffin, it is you! God, I can't believe it - I thought you were dead-"
"Well, yes, I'm alive. But more importantly, who are you?"
"Oh... Oh, of course. You wouldn't remember me. You were too young, I guess." The woman laughed quietly, and Griffin's eyes narrowed in suspicion. He had no friends or family. In his experience, the only explanation for this was a prank call...
"Listen Griff,"
Griff? He uttered a derisive snort at the nickname, but the stranger continued undeterred.
"My name's Grace. I'm your first cousin."
"Cousin...?" He repeated disbelievingly, wrinkling his nose.
"Don't make that face."
"What? But you-"
"I know you're making the face." She snickered, and Griffin rolled his eyes. Whoever she was, she obviously did know him. But a cousin? He didn't remember any cousins...
"Look," The voice continued, growing serious now, "I used to babysit for your Mom when you were young. You were like a baby brother to me. After Isabela died, I thought for sure you were gone too. Everyone said as much. I never thought to look for you, but..." She paused a moment, and Griff felt his jaw tighten. Some cousin she was, leaving him for dead. "Well," Grace continued, "I saw your name in the paper a few days ago - some fancy Timekeeping case - and after I looked you up, I found this number." Another pause, and when she spoke again, Griffin could hear the emotion in her voice, "I can't believe you're still alive, after all these years. I know I've got no right to ask this, but... Could I see you?"
He huffed in disbelief.
"Griffin, please! Just one meeting, just to see how you've grown up. It's not too much to ask, is it?"
He remained silent, thinking.
"I'll bring crackers."
That sold it. Despite himself, Griffin smiled. "Okay." He sighed, "One meeting. But they better be damn good crackers. Where and when?"
"How about Diego's at five?"
"Today?"
"Mmhm."
Griffin considered this for a moment, then nodded. Diego's was a friendly pub just a few blocks from his house. It wouldn't be too much hassle to get there.
"Okay." He said at last, giving in, "I'll see you there."
With the press of a button he hung up the phone, and stared at it for a long while. A long lost cousin... Who would have thought. After a few silent moments, he turned to Toby with a faintly puzzled expression and said, "So you heard most of that." He scratched his head with his phone, "Want to come?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Toby pulled a face at the mention of the troll from World Of Warcraft. He knew exactly what Griffin meant, but the thought still made him cringe. That troll could literally be anyone, including a creepy plumber on the other side of the world. But hey, Griff had attention deficiency. If that's all that could keep him entertained them Toby wouldn't argue. It was either that or he had a go at entertaining his friend, and he'd done enough of that today.
When the phone rang, they both looked at each other with puzzled expressions. Was Griff expecting a call?
By the look on his face, the caller wasn't one of his colleagues.
Raising an eyebrow curiously Toby leant close the the phone with an ear pointed towards it, and listened intently to the conversation.

By the time the conversation ended, Toby felt none the wiser. A long lost cousin? The questions overpowered the given answers. But since Toby still knew little about Griff's past life he couldn't argue.
A strange feeling niggled inside him, but he forced it back. The woman sounded harmless, and really, what could anyone want with Griffin so soon unless it was important?
"So you heard most of that." Griff replied once he'd hung up. "Want to come?"
"What?" Toby asked blankly for a moment, giving it a moment of thought. He didn't want to leave Griffin completely just yet after hat had happened that day, although he would be safe in his own Time Zone. Still... Just to make sure...
Shrugging, Toby replied, "I'll tag along. But don't think I'm intruding." He winked. "I won't stay with you, just go have a drink at the bar or something. Sounds like you have a lot of catching up to do."
He smiled pleasantly, then stretched his armed tiredly over his head.
"So..." He began, dropping his arms to his sides. "A long lost cousin, eh? That sounds adventurous." He teased. "How're you feeling aobut it?"
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:03 pm

When Toby agreed to tag along, Griffin nodded, and trotted over to his friend. He hadn't brought anything with him, so he was ready to go. The only problem was the car... He hoped he would be able to fix it.
"So..." Toby looked at him with a smile, and Griffin's worried frown smoothed away, "A long lost cousin, eh? That sounds adventurous. How're you feeling about it?"
"I don't know." He admitted with a laugh, "That was rather sudden, and of all the times, now?" He rolled his eyes. "When I think about it thought, I guess I do remember some sort of babysitter. My Mom was always busy, so..." Trailing off, Griffin scratched his head uncertainly, then shrugged. Pain shot through his shoulder at the gesture, and with a wince, Griff cradled it tenderly.
"It can't hurt to catch up. Especially if she is my cousin; I miss my family. If there's a chance, I think it would be nice to get in touch, no matter how distant the relation."
He smiled mildly, then hoisted his bag over his shoulder, "Anyway, I guess I'll see what she's like. If she took the time to look me up, I guess she must want something." He nodded to the door, "Let's get going. I'll see if I can fix the car, otherwise I'll call the AA, and we'll just have to take your bike instead." He rolled his eyes, and with a playful nudge to Toby's ribs, added, "Heaven forbid."
He shot his friend a wink, giving his hair an affectionate tousle, then flounced off toward the elevator to wait, energetic as ever.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:54 pm

When Griffin said the call had been sudden, Toby just shrugged his shoulders. By the sound of it they hadn't met in a long time, especially if Griff couldn't remember her. If she really was his cousin, and had babysat him when he was too young to remember, then it must have been at least fifteen to twenty years since they'd last met.
"When I think about it though, I guess I do remember some sort of babysitter. My Mom was always busy, so..." Griffin mused.
Toby frowned at this. Griffin rarely mentioned his family, if at all. In honesty, he didn't only want to tag along to keep an eye on Griffin, but also to learn a little bit more about his friend. Whenever he'd try to hint a question in about Griff's past, his friend would always shrug it off or ignore it like it's nothing. But Griffin knew practically everything worth knowing about Toby, and this worried him. It wasn't that he didn't trust Griff, but he felt uncomfortable being around someone he knew nothing about who knew him inside out.
"It can't hurt to catch up. Especially if she is my cousin; I miss my family. If there's a chance, I think it would be nice to get in touch, no matter how distant the relation."
Toby's ears perked up at this. His entire family was gone? Well that would make sense. That house he lived in had a haunting aroma about it... Especially the pictures. No family would step foot in that place.
"Anyway, I guess I'll see what she's like. If she took the time to look me up, I guess she must want something." Griffin continued, pulling his bag onto his shoulder.
"Yeah," Toby replied. "To see you."
"Let's get going. I'll see if I can fix the car, otherwise I'll call the AA, and we'll just have to take your bike instead." He pulled a face. "Heaven forbid."
"Oi!" Toby chuckled, poking Griff's good arm teasingly. "Don't be stupid. You don't want to miss her, do you?" He pulled his tired self to his feet. "We'll take the bike."
Despite feeling sore and tired from such an eventful day Toby's spirits were evidently lifted at the mission he'd assigned himself to. If this woman was who she said she was - and he couldn't see any reason why she wasn't - then maybe reuniting Griff with his long lost cousin would make Toby feel a little happier, even if he didn't have any of his own. At least it gave him a more uplifting purpose than just being willing to die to protect Griffin. In fact, after what ad happened in the last few days, they both needed something of a lighter note.
"Come on then, Gryfindor." He chirped, clapping his hands eagerly. "Let's get to it."
Winking, he grabbed his long coat ((He has a long coat ^_^)) and yanked it on, heading over to the elevator with a spring in his step.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:18 pm

"I don't want to die, either!" Griffin objected, scowling as he hopped to his feet and trotted after Toby, continuing with his complaints long after his companion had clearly stopped listening, "That bike's shocks might as well be a pair of boulders grinding together you know. And this damn wasteland is so rugged that you'll have to pull over every five minutes for me to barf from the pain in my arm." He rubbed his sore shoulder and shot Toby a glare, then ducked when the man's coat swished towards him, nearly catching him in the face. Grumbling to himself, he folded his arms sulkily and trudged after Toby.
"Come on then, Gryfindor." His friend said eagerly, "Let's get to it."
Sticking out his tongue, Griffin shoved past Toby to get into the elevator first, then threatened to leave without his friend. The other man hopped in in the nick of time, and the pair spent the rest of the journey up bickering good-naturedly, until they finally reached the bike. One short, bumpy drive later, they had arrived at Diego's.

Smacking Toby fondly on the back of the head, Griffin dismounted from the bike, then yawned, stretching his good arm above his head and cradling the other to his chest.
"Thanks for the ride, Toaster." He winked, then glanced at his watch. "We're a little early. Want to go in and have a bite to eat?" He smiled angelically, "You're buying. I might not make it to pay day otherwise. I think I should keep my Time this low all the time." With a devious grin, he bumped Toby's shoulder playfully, then walked into Diego's to find them a booth. Some of the staff cast him familiar greetings, which Griffin returned in a friendly fashion, and before too long they were sitting at a table, a menu in front of each. Griff picked his up, frowning at the options.
"I think I'll have lamb chops." He mused, tapping an item on the page, "Or maybe just a toasted sandwich. Ooh, they have avo and bacon..." He trailed off, burying his nose in the menu as he struggled to decide what he wanted. He was clearly feeling happier. Now that he had come to terms with all his shocking revelations that day, he was finding that he rather enjoyed just spending time with Toby, regardless of where it was or what they were doing. He had seldom experienced that before, and it intrigued him deeply. Just seeing the man's handsome face - and knowing of the half-made secret between them - was enough to alleviate the perpetual loneliness that had haunted him for so long.
When he looked at Toby - his Superman - there was a light in his eyes that hadn't been there before. One that hadn't shone for a very long time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:47 pm

When they arrived Toby parked the bike in a shadowed area beside the restaurant - it stuck out like a sore thumb compared to Dayton - and he waited for Griff to dismount before he did himself. He looked almost fitting to the environment without his bike, with his long jeans faintly dusty around the bottom, and a black t-shirt covered by a long, mackintosh-style coat. With the collar pulled up he almost looked like some sort of detective. This thought made him smirk.
It soon sunk away at Griffin's 'Toaster' comment again.
Toby resisted the urge to tackle him into a headlock, since he'd been through the trauma that day and had a sore shoulder. Still, Toby would get him back at some point. He leant coolly against the wall by the bike, half expecting Griff to walk in and leave him. That is, until, Griff mentioned food.
Toby's stomach growled in response.
Sulking, Toby wandered behind his friend into the restaurant and sat opposite him at a table. He was only planning on getting a decent coffee and maybe some toast - might as well make the most of being in a richer region - but Griffin didn't wait a heartbeat to shove his nose in a menu and list all the possible dishes he could eat.
Toby shot him a death glare. Griff grinned angelically back at him.
"You'll get cheese and crackers." Toby replied, snatching the menu from him and raised an eyebrow. "If you're lucky."
He'd meant it too... Until he saw the menu for himself.
"Oh!" He exclaimed, eyebrows raising in delight. "They even do paninis! Hmm..." His mouth scrunched thoughtfully to one side. "But the beef and gravy sandwich looks equally nice. Actually... D'you know what? Screw it." He leant forward and hit his friend playfully over the head with the menu, his face as serious as usual.
"I know what I'm getting. Now if you're not nice to me, I don't care how hungry you are, I won't buy you dinner." He threatened, his face moulded into a comically serious expression.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:48 pm

"I could go for cheese and crackers." Griff answered, blinking earnestly. "I like cheese, and you know I love crackers." A fond smile curved his lips, and he rubbed his cheek absently as he thought of his favourite animal crackers. Such delicious salty goodness. How could anyone resist? He was about to say more about the beloved treat, when suddenly Toby picked up the menu, and his eyes widened in delight. Griffin watched, smiling fondly, as his friend enthused about the numerous dishes.
"The sandwiches here are great." He offered helpfully, "They use this special crispy bread - home baked." He pointed to a picture on the menu, but Toby didn't seem to be listening.
"Actually... D'you know what? Screw it." Toby swatted him over the head with the menu, and Griffin gasped in mock horror.
"I know what I'm getting. Now if you're not nice to me, I don't care how hungry you are, I won't buy you dinner."
"But I'm always nice!" He objected indignantly, his wide, angelic eyes the very picture of innocence. "When have I ever been anything but nice? Now, if you let me go hungry, then yeah, maybe I'll get a little cranky, but you wouldn't let that happen, would you Superman?" He looked up at his friend, beaming, his bright green eyes stretched in their best puppy dog expression. The look was so adorable, it couldn't have had Chuck Norris swinging to the other side.
He might have abused his cutesy charms further, but at that moment a bell above the door tinkled, and Griffin looked up curiously to see a young woman walking in, her black hair tied back neatly in a ponytail that reached almost halfway down her back. She looked around, clutching her purse, until finally she seemed to notice Griffin. Their eyes met, and with a faint smile, he offered an uncertain wave of greeting. She cracked a grin in response and, slinging her bag over her shoulder, quickly hurried over to him.
"Griffin!" She held out her arms, beaming, "Look how you've grown! God, last time I saw you you were barely past my hip. And you're so handsome, too!"
"Well," Griff rubbed his hair, faking shyness, and offered with a cheeky grin, "Yeah, I guess I'm kinda irresistible."
Chuckling, her cheeks flushed and rosy, Grace helped herself to a seat at the table, her pretty face alive with excitement. Griffin felt himself warming up to the newcomer in moments.
"So Grace, it's been a few years. This is my friend Toby." He nodded to the other man, and shot him a reassuring wink, "He's kind of an ass, but he's paying, so we'll have to put up with him."
Grace laughed, a contagious sound like a chirping bird, and held out a hand, smiling warmly.
"Pleased to meet you, Friend Toby. I'm Grace. Distant cousin, friend of the family - all that boring stuff." She wrinkled her nose, shook his hand, then leaned closer and added in a stage whisper, "And don't worry, I'll split the bill. I'm no mooch."
She shot Griffin a glance, and his eyes doubled in size as he squeaked indignantly, "Oi! What are you implying? You're the one who invited me, Miss Grace Face."
The woman burst out laughing, slamming a palm onto the table, and Griffin jumped in surprise. There was nothing elegant about her laugh now. She sounded like a squealing pig. And suddenly, he couldn't help but grin.
"Geez, you haven't changed at all." She looked up at him, eyes shining, "I'm so happy I found you at last. And that I got to meet Friend Toby here." She flashed Toby a smile, and Griffin rolled his eyes. "Yeah," He agreed casually, "Everybody loves the Toaster. Now seriously, who's going to buy me my crackers?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:42 pm

Despite Griffin's best attempts at a cute expression, Toby just stared boredly back at him. His face didn't even twitch. It wasn't like that face didn't affect him, almost as much as the puppy at the bar, in fact. But he wasn't going to give Griff the satisfaction of knowing he could break Toby just by pouting his lips and flapping his eyelashes at him to get what he wanted.
Screw it. Next time, Griff was paying.
Behind him, Toby heard the bell by the door tinkle innocently, and heard a pair of light, elegant footsteps approaching the table. He didn't need to turn around to guess who it was.
In fact, Toby seemed to avoid looking at her even when she was stood beside them both, he averted his eyes to the window, seemingly take interest in some passer-bys outside the cafe. At first it may have looked like he just hadn't noticed Griffin's cousin enter the cafe, or maybe he was just leaving them to it.
But the reason was different from that entirely.
He didn't know the woman, but he felt his broad shoulders shrink away from her bright, bubbly presence and twinkling young eyes. He was shy.
He'd always been shy of women, which was something he presumed he'd grow out of at puberty, but for some reason being around them was more worrying than being around a stranger. It was like being around a whole knew species. His mother, obviously, had been completely different. But he'd never been his best around women, as he'd never been able to relate to them.
So, as subtly as he could manage, Toby ignored their conversation and listened calmly to his heartbeat as it hammered against his eardrums, right until his name had been mentioned.
Even then, it took him a few moments to snap out of it.
Pleased to meet you, Friend Toby.” The newcomer greeted him pleasantly, holding out a hand. “I'm Grace. Distant cousin, friend of the family - all that boring stuff.
He blinked stupidly at her. Then at her hand. With a dizzy look in his eye, he offered his hand limply to hers.
And don't worry, I'll split the bill. I'm no mooch.” She teased with a friendly wink, and Toby managed a faint smile back at her. Why was she talking to him? She didn't need any information from him, did she?
He shrunk away again as the two began to bicker between themselves, expecting to be ignored for the next hour or so. The thought wasn't unappealing to him. He wasn't at work. He didn't have to have small talk with these two, nor did he have to befriend someone who he wasn't going to see again.
Suddenly, a palm slammed on the table.
He could have jumped out of his skin. Truth be told, he was still very touchy about loud noises, and for a brief moment his eyes widened in alarm. But when he saw Griffin's reaction and the way the newcomer was grinning at them both, he rolled his eyes. What a joke.
Keeping considerably more detached from the conversations, he only caught small snippets of the comments the two bounced at each other. Until, again, he was dragged into it. The woman – or 'Grace' as she liked to be called – shot him a pleasant smile, and Griff replied with “Yeah. Everybody loves the Toaster. Now seriously, who's going to buy me my crackers?
“Oi!” Toby replied at least, finally contributing to the conversation. “Enough with the 'Toaster'. Or you'll be called 'Griffey' if you're not careful.” He snapped dryly, pulling himself to his feet. He then swatted Griff playfully around the head and shifted round until he was in good view of the front till to place his order and pay. Then, as if remembering the presence of the newcomer, he turned around, his head bowed slightly, and asked her. “You want anything?”
He couldn't seem to help it. Not only was she female, but she was also alarmingly loud and playful, and it made him uneasy. Griff could put up with her as a cousin, but Toby certainly couldn't.
He attempted a smile, although it came out as more miserable-looking than he intended to make it look.

Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:14 pm

"Oh, come on Toaster." He grinned deviously, "You know the nickname's never leaving. And for the record, I have no problem with Griffey." His sass earned him a swat on the head, and he grumbled to himself, sticking out his tongue the moment Toby's back was turned. Grace snickered at the gesture, and Griffin shot her a wink. It was remarkable how comfortable he felt around her; she truly was family, no matter how many years they'd spent apart.
“You want anything?” Looking up, Griff saw Toby standing awkwardly, looking as if he had a stick shoved halfway up his ass. He tilted his head curiously. He'd never seen Toby look so shy before... It was unsettling. Usually, he was the one lacking confidence. His green eyes darted to Grace. He couldn't understand what about her made his friend so uncomfortable. He found her pretty easy to be around.

"I'll just take a coffee, thanks." Grace answered, her cheeks dimpling slightly, in the same way Griff's did when he was happy. "Letting the Toaster off easy, are you?" Griff challenged, shooting Toby a friendly wink. Lighten up, buddy...
Grace laughed and shook her head, "I had a huge lunch." She pulled a face, "I think I'd pop if I ate any more now."
"Fair enough." Hopping to his feet, Griffin gave Toby's shoulders a friendly rub, and offered brightly, "Come on Toaster, I'll go with you. I want to see if they have any of those little umbrellas anyway."
Leaving Grace alone at the table, Griff bounced along behind Toby, taking long steps in an attempt to walk in his friend's footprints. When they reached the counter, he walked straight into the back of Toby and almost fell over.
Back at the table, Grace was laughing quietly into her hand. She looked pleased. And Griff supposed that she must have been; after all, considering what he'd gone through the past few years, he had barely changed from when he was a kid. At first glance, in any case. He imagined it must have been a pleasant surprise for Grace to find him not only alive, but kicking up a storm.
Dragging his attention away from his cousin, Griffin flopped an arm around Toby's shoulders, stretching up to reach, and leaned heavily against his side. "Hey." He elbowed his friend in the ribs, and flashed a warm smile, "Are you okay? You're acting kinda weird. Constipated?" He tipped his head innocently to one side, "Coffee should help, you know."

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:08 am

Toby felt a relieved sigh leave his lips when Grace only ordered a coffee. At least that would be another mouth he didn't have to feed. He wouldn't admit it out loud, but when he only had a year to spend before he got back and rebooted his Time, he didn't want to be spending days on food. Especially to someone who was of no interest to him.
Nodding, he turned away, to be caught by Griffin and getting that same cheeky wink that made Griff's eyes twinkle. Toby resisted the urge to hit him.
Once Grace had made the decent excuse of having a big lunch, Griffin got to his feet and placed his hands on Toby's broad shoulders. He tensed at the contact. It didn't make him uncomfortable - it was quite pleasant, actually - but he had a feeling Griff was trying to tell him something. He rolled his eyes, turning away to the till. Griff's presence followed him like a shadow but, like the mature adult that he was trying to be, he ignored it and ordered their meals.
An arm wrapped around his shoulders, an elbow poking him in the ribs. "Hey." Griff shot him a curious look. "Are you okay? You're acting kinda weird. Constipated?"
Toby frowned at him.
"Coffee should help, you know."
A sudden urge to laugh at this kept Toby from getting a temper, and instead he shook his head in amusement. It wasn't constipation, obviously. But it might as well have been.
"I'm not constipated." He assured his friend, raising his eyebrows as if talking to a child. He then turned away, taking Griff and his arm with him, and glanced briefly at Grace. Blushing, he turned away. "But I'm not telling you what's up." He said seriously, accepting the ticket from the till and heading to the coffee bar to get the drinks.
"Because you'll never let me live it down."
Taking the coffee for Grace and the one he'd ordered for himself, he thanked the person who'd served him and began strolling slowly back to their table. He could tell Griff would continue to bug him about it though, so he added unhelpfully, "I'll tell you when we get back."
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:51 pm

"I'm not constipated."
"Well then there's no excuse for acting like you have a stick up your ass." Griff pointed out fairly, "Seriously, Toby- Hey!" His friend turned around, and Griff felt himself jerked forward by his arm still hooked around Toby's shoulders. Overbalancing, he stumbled forward, wincing at the stretching feeling in his shoulder. Straightening up, he shot Toby a mutinous glare, stepping closer to reliever the pressure on his arm. "Jerk."
"But I'm not telling you what's up."
"What?" He frowned, "Are you kidding me?"
"Because you'll never let me live it down."
He raised his eyebrows. "What?"
But Toby was not kidding. In fact, he ignored Griffin's question completely, turning briefly back to the counter to get their ticket.
"Toby?" He frowned, "What are you hiding from me? Toby?" He tugged on his friend's sleeve, "Hey, Toby?"
"I'll tell you when we get back." The other man replied, but this only earned him a furious scowl.
"Now you seriously must be messing with me. You know I don't have that kind of patience." His eyes narrowed, and he added in a dangerous whisper, "Don't make me slip you a laxative, Superman."
With an innocent little smile, he skipped ahead, flopping back down at the table.
"So, Grace." He folded his arms, and smiled at his cousin, "Tell me what I've missed in the last few years."

About an hour of chatting and catching up later, Grace gave Griffin a hug and said goodbye, leaving the two men alone at the table. Griffin stared after her for a moment, then cast Toby a sharp glance.
"So." He raised an eyebrow, "What's up your butt, Toaster?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:02 pm

"Now you seriously must be messing with me. You know I don't have that kind of patience."
"Exactly." Toby replied cheekily, winking over his shoulder. With any luck, Griffin would forget by the time all this was over.
"Don't make me slip you a laxative, Superman."
Pulling a face, Toby shot Griff a death glare which was met with a pair of angelic young eyes. He paused, watching Griffin skip innocently back to the table. Griff couldn't be serious. He wouldn't seriously spike Toby's drink with a-
He shook his head. Not if Grace was around at least. She seemed sensible enough not to let him put any white powder in Toby's coffee. If Griffin managed it, Toby would no doubt kill him.
Or hit him, at least.
With this thought in mind he sat down with the drinks on the tray, handed them out, then sipped away at his coffee. As soon as the first question was asked, he zoned out again, eyes gazing intently out the window like there was some great mystery he needed to solve.

The minute Grace had left Toby began stacking their plates together, preparing himself to leave the cafe. He'd have happily got out of there at that very moment, but Griffin stopped him.
"So. What's up your butt, Toaster?"
He rolled his eyes. "You remembered." He grumbled. It wasn't a question. "Damn."
It wasn't like he could avoid it any longer. Grace had gone, and Griffin certainly looked peeved that he hadn't said something sooner. Well... Never mind. Toby was right. If he'd told Griff earlier he would have mocked him in some way for it.
"Alright. Fine. You wanna know?" He pretended to sip a droplet of coffee left in the bottom of his mug. There was nothing like stalling for time.
Okay. It was either this, or spend the night in the bathroom because someone had spiked his drink with anti-constipation medication.
"I can't talk to women." He murmured miserably, too humiliated to look his friend in the eye. "I don't know why... I just don't seem to get them. And they don't get me. I only talk to them at work if I really have to. But today... Well, she was a total stranger and I had nothing to talk to her about, so... I froze."
He glanced up, his eyes flashing.
"And if you laugh at me, I'll take the railway route home. You know I'll do it. Don't imagine I wouldn't." He warned, pointing an accusing finger in Griffin's direction.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Griffin smirked smugly at Toby's grumbling response, folding his arms over his chest.
"Alright. Fine. You wanna know?"
"Yes!" He chirped eagerly, slamming his palms down on the table, and grinning at Toby as though he was a particularly interesting science experiment. Toby avoided his gaze.
"I can't talk to women."
"Oh, right. Wait, what? Like that guy from the Big Bang Theory?" Griffin's eyes widened, and he stared at Toby in open-mouthed shock. Toby, his Superman, was scared of woman? It was unthinkable...
"I don't know why..." He explained miserably, "I just don't seem to get them. And they don't get me. I only talk to them at work if I really have to. But today... Well, she was a total stranger and I had nothing to talk to her about, so... I froze."
Toby looked up then, and Griffin met his gaze, staring back earnestly.
"And if you laugh at me, I'll take the railway route home. You know I'll do it. Don't imagine I wouldn't."
"Since I'm not going back with you," He pointed out innocently, scratching the side of his face, "That would only hurt your nuts. If you had any."
Griff shot his friend a devious grin, then laughed and reached across the table to pat his hand reassuringly.
"Oh, come on Superman. Don't look at me like that, you know I couldn't resist a little teasing." He winked, "But seriously, you can't talk to women? Out of a hundred guesses, I never would have got that. To be honest, I always took you as a bit of a ladies' man." With twinkling eyes, Griffin stood up and gave Toby's hair an affectionate ruffle. Somehow, finding out that the man did, in fact, have some flaws, Griff felt closer to him than ever before. He didn't know what it was, but the pathetic expression on the poor guy's face was somehow endearing.
"I'd offer to help you get over that." He said, holding out a hand to help Toby up, "But since you've got me, you don't have to." His smile sweetened, cheeks dimpling cutely.
Superman's scared of girls...
The thought still tickled him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:37 pm

"Since I'm not going back with you, that would only hurt your nuts. If you had any."
Rolling his eyes, Toby shoved his face into his hands and groaned. It's hopeless... This was destined to happen. He thought, his face falling in despair.
After a few moments, he felt a touch on his hand and parted his fingers, glaring through his hands at Griffin, who still looked as angelic as ever.
"Oh, come on Superman. Don't look at me like that, you know I couldn't resist a little teasing."
No, I know you couldn't, Toby thought miserably to himself.
"But seriously, you can't talk to women? Out of a hundred guesses, I never would have got that. To be honest, I always took you as a bit of a ladies' man."
"Yeah, well." Toby murmured, lowering his hands down onto the table. He didn't pull away from Griffin's touch, but it would take more than tht to make him smile yet. "You can't talk. You womaniser, you."
He pulled a face as his hair was ruffled, and swatted his hand repeatedly at Griffin's, but it wasn't hard enough to hurt. It wasn't very effective, either. He shot Griffin a death glare, straightening his hair miserably with his fingers.
"I'd offer to help you get over that." Griffin said, offering a hand to help him up. He ignored it. "But since you've got me, you don't have to."
Finally, Toby could hold back his smile no longer. "Nice save." He mused, pulling himself to his feet. "But I'm still going to get you back one day." He promised, winking, and ruffled Griffin's longer hair cheekily. The smile left his face, but the twinkle in his eyes remained.
"And if you ever mention this again, I'll deny it."
Bumping his shoulder, Toby passed the man out the door, rubbing his satisfied stomach, and heading out to his bike.
"Come on, Gryfindor. Let's get you home."
He knew Griffin's home was only down the road, but Toby stuck to his promise that he'd protect him, and made sure he got home safely. He mounted the bike and revved up the shattered, old engine.
"You ready?"
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next