Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Polo and Dreameh's fanfic RP... ;D Jimmy/Kougu [Probably mature]

2 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Polo and Dreameh's fanfic RP... ;D Jimmy/Kougu [Probably mature] - Page 3 Empty Re: Polo and Dreameh's fanfic RP... ;D Jimmy/Kougu [Probably mature]

Post  Dreambug Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:20 pm

Jimmy watched Kougu prepare himself for a big confession, and felt his brow crease for a moment. He knew then he was going to find out something important that he may have always wondered but never spoke of. But he didn't push the matter. Just waited for Kougu to find it in himself to reply.
Usually I wouldn't say anything... But I suppose since we're in this together, I have to tell you.
Jimmy might have said no at this point, but what Kougu said was kind of true. If they were going to assassinate this man, Jimmy needed to know about him. He needed to know about every aspect of him, how his mind worked, maybe even being able to estimate what his next move would be. Of course he had Kougu for that too, but it helped to have the knowledge also so it couldn't be used against him later on.
He's my father. Or one of his aliases, anyway. And if you think I'm mad,well, he's out of his goddamn mind.” Jimmy raised an eyebrow. If this was coming from Kougu, who seemed to know exactly how crazy he was, then this guy had to be a nutjob. Actually... He thought back through what Kougu had said,and his eyes widened.
Father?
He gulped for a moment, trying to get his head around it. It shouldn't have been such a big deal, but to him, it was. He knew Kougu was unstable, and he'd always guessed it was a family-based issue. So could this 'President Noah' be the reason Kougu was the way he was now? If that was the case, then maybe he'd underestimated this entire situation.
Honestly, I don't think there's any humanity left in him at all. He fancies himself a God, or a Devil, maybe. It all amounts to the same thing.. .” Kougu continued, and Jimmy found himself placing the mug on the floor and holding his head in his good hand. So Noah was that kind of psycho. Well, God help them. He certainly wouldn't be. “That's the main reason I called you out here. I can't kill him. I don't know why, I just can't do it. But somebody has to, otherwise he's going to throw the whole world out of sync. And believe me, he has the power. He had it long before this presidency scam.
Jimmy nodded. But he knew why Kougu wasn't able to kill this man, and deep down Kougu knew too. It was because this psycho was his father. Killing your own blood was probably way different to killing some random person. Hell... To Jimmy, even killing a random person was enough to mess him up.
But what did Kougu mean that Noah had had power long before the presidency scam? Who exactly was he?
Perhaps Jimmy should have asked this first, as it seemed like an important question to bring up whilst they were definitely alone. But there was something else niggling at him.
“So... If he's your father, where's the rest of your family? I can tell your house is a family one – Hell, it's huge – but... Where's-”
He stopped himself, and shook his head. Noah had probably killed off Kougu's family. Either way, it was a painful subject. Best to just leave it.
“If it helps...” he murmured, pulling a knee towards his chest. “My dad wasn't exactly an 'angel sent from heaven'. But, well, he's dead now.” Jimmy's eyes lowered sadly, and he picked clumsily at a small puddle of ice next to him. “I can't say he deserved it. I mean, it was a heart attack, so it was painful, I guess. But quick. He died on his own, though.” Releasing a sigh, Jimmy shuffled closer to the fire, and lowered the mug closer to the flames to warm it up quicker.
“But anyway. Yeah... What 'power' are you talking about? I mean, before he became president?”
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Polo and Dreameh's fanfic RP... ;D Jimmy/Kougu [Probably mature] - Page 3 Empty Re: Polo and Dreameh's fanfic RP... ;D Jimmy/Kougu [Probably mature]

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:57 pm

When Jimmy had brought up his father, Kougu had thought that the worst was over, but then he went on to ask the one question that Kougu always dreaded with all his heart.
“So... If he's your father, where's the rest of your family?" Kougu froze instantly, his shoulders locking with tension.
"I can tell your house is a family one – Hell, it's huge – but... Where's-”
He didn't realize he was clenching his jaw until he heard one of his teeth crack, and then he stopped, flexing his hands. They too, had tensed into fists, and he hadn't even noticed his fingernails cutting into his palms with the cold numbing his skin. He went still when Jimmy broke off, head bowed, and hair hiding his face. He didn't say a word, and it was clear he didn't plan to. 'That' was not up for discussion. Not with Jimmy. Not yet.
Unbidden, an image of his family crept through his mind, and he closed his eyes, swallowing thickly. The throbbing pain in his head was back. Wordlessly, he shook a pill from the tub of painkillers and swallowed it, seemingly more from habit than anything else. The very action itself seemed to calm him. 
“If it helps...” Jimmy murmured, quickly changing tact as he seemed to realize his question had hit a nerve, “My dad wasn't exactly an 'angel sent from heaven'. But, well, he's dead now.” At last, Kougu looked up, casting Jimmy a questioning glance. He was picking miserably at some ice on the ground, and Kougu felt his features soften in sympathy.
“I can't say he deserved it. I mean, it was a heart attack, so it was painful, I guess. But quick. He died on his own, though.”
"I'm sorry." He answered quietly, his voice seemed a little lower than usual, as it always did when he entered his 'grieving' state. Jimmy just sighed, and Kougu's eyes tracked his progress as he moved closer to the fire, still tending to the mug. It was gradually starting to steam.
“But anyway. Yeah..." He said, changing the subject, "What 'power' are you talking about? I mean, before he became president?”
Grateful for the change of subject, Kougu pushed his hair back absentmindedly, and said, "It's hard to explain, really. Even I don't know the half of it, but he's been planning this for years. He's everywhere, with a thousand different names and faces. Hell," He laughed bitterly, "I honestly don't remember his real name, if he ever had one. He has a way of getting inside people's heads, and playing them like pawns in this great, sick game of his. Back in England, he had this... This organization, dedicated to the 'purification' of the world. All big words and twisted ideals," Kougu shook his head, "But it all boils down to this: He feels that he should get to decide who deserves to live and die in this world, and if he has his way, I don't see that there will be any people left in the world, innocent or otherwise. That's why he's here, with his presidency and his death penalty. America is the trendsetter for the rest of the world. He'll start it here, and it will spread like an epidemic." Kougu took a deep breath, and released it in a shaky sigh, curling his hands in his lap. "I can't let that happen. No matter what it takes, he has to be stopped. I have to stop him..." He trailed off, staring into the flickering flames of the fire with the weight of responsibility crushing his shoulders. He had tried and failed once, and now he had nearly lost Jimmy just looking for information.  He hated to admit it, but part of him was starting to believe that this was all just a helpless cause... Perhaps it was too late. Perhaps the world was coming to an end already.
I should have killed you when I had the chance.
Polo trapped in an inkpot

Location : With the beast under your bed, in your closet, in your head...

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:57 pm

Jimmy sat back and let Kougu explain the situation in more detail, and give more information on who it is they were going to kill. This man, this 'Noah' sounded like the sort that had been a secret politician for years, even if not always in the public eye. Someone with the strength of numbers on their side could do anything they wanted. Hell, he'd seen it on the news all the time: religious cults committing mass suicide for their leader or making dangerous claims at the public to shake them all up. The thought of something like that reaching presidency was a terrifying thought.
America is the trendsetter for the rest of the world. He'll start it here, and it will spread like an epidemic.
An epidemic. Like a plague. That would soon turn into a pandemic. Then they'd really be in trouble.
I can't let that happen. No matter what it takes, he has to be stopped. I have to stop him..
Frowning, Jimmy glanced at Kougu's feature, noting he stress in his numb palms and the way his shoulders were slowly starting to slump. Poor guy. With a father like that he must have carried a lot on his shoulders all this time, and it seems like he had no family before he met Charlie to spend time with. To open up to.
“We'll stop him.” Jimmy assured him firmly,, emphasising the 'we'. He wanted to remind Kougu that he wasn't alone in this mission, whichever way he looked at he. Clearing his throat he handed Kougu the mug of warm water. “With the two of us, what could go wrong?”
He smirked, knowing fair well he'd probably jinxed it. Besides, they'd been in the States a day and a half and already he'd been attacked by a bear and Kougu had risk of losing his hands.
He nodded to the mug, then ordered “Stick your hands in that. It'll hurt like hell, then that'll make two of us. But it'll give you your fingers back.” He winked, then slipped off his gloves and warmed his hands over the fire, rubbing them together every now and then. His fingers had gone white with the cold, but they were in better condition than Kougu's so he couldn't complain.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:07 am

“We'll stop him.” Jimmy answered, and Kougu was taken aback by the authority in his voice. In an instant, he felt himself relax. At last, he had someone to follow. He took a deep breath, then nodded, attempting to mirror Jimmy's confidence as he accepted the mug that the man handed him. He cradled the hot metal in his hands, watching the steam rise off the surface as Jimmy added beside him, “With the two of us, what could go wrong?”
Raising his eyebrows, he looked up at Jimmy, but when he found the man smirking back at him, he couldn't help but chuckle.
"Fair enough." He muttered, "This whole thing will be a piece of cake then, I suppose." A slight smile remained on his face, and much to his surprise, he found himself feeling just a little more optimistic than before. Somehow, mocking the impossibility of their mission with Jimmy had lifted his spirits. To Kougu, the concept was inconceivable.
“Stick your hands in that." Jimmy told him, nodding to the mug, which Kougu noticed that he was still holding, "It'll hurt like hell, then that'll make two of us. But it'll give you your fingers back.”
"Excellent." He answered unenthusiastically, lowering one of his hands into the mug of boiling water. At first he felt nothing, but then a searing pain began creeping up from his fingertips as his hand gradually defrosted. The feeling was excruciating, but Kougu's expression didn't so much as flicker. He was well used to taking pain with a straight face. So used to it, in fact, that it had become somewhat automatic to him.
Once his hand had warmed a little, he changed to the other one, gradually regaining the use of his hands one at a time. As the hot water lapped at his skin, he glanced up curiously at Jimmy, watching him as he hovered his hands over the fire. It was remarkable to think that when they'd met, they had been mortal enemies. Kougu had even expected Jimmy to be the one to put a bullet through him someday, yet looking at the man now, he had a feeling that that old plan was now completely off the table. Jimmy was right there beside him, and even with everything going as wrong as it could possibly go on the very first stepping stone of their mission, he didn't seem to have given a single thought about backing out. Honestly, he was impressed. Contrary to what he'd first thought of Jimmy, the man's attitude was inspiring, and the longer Kougu spent with him, the more he felt his respect for him grow. After starting out with less than no respect for the man beside him, Kougu now found a voice in the back of his mind constantly telling him, 'Look at how great Jimmy is, you should be more like him.'
He smiled at the thought, dipping his other hand back into the mug before him.
"Hey, Jimmy," He murmured, "I've been meaning to ask you..." He slowly raised his head, considering Jimmy with curious eyes, "What made you decide to come on this crazy mission? I mean, if some insane kid rang me up and told me to assassinate the president of the states..." He trailed off, an amused half-smile on his face. Looking at it that way, the fact that Jimmy had showed up at all made him almost as mad as Kougu was.
"You could have just told me to take a hike... But you didn't. Why is that?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:19 am

Jimmy winced as he watched Kougu's hands slowly sink into he water, empathising with him somewhat. It must have been painful, especially as Kougu had been ignoring the frostbite for goodness knows how long, it was probably worse than Jimmy had first estimated. He'd heard that when the blood is reintroduced to whatever has frostbite it hurts like hell, in his words anyway. It's excruciating, trying to wake up the nerve endings and such. But when his eyes lifted up to Kougu's expression, Jimmy was shocked. Kougu's face barely twitched.
How could he take so much pain and not even flinch from it, or cry out?
Just as he was about to ask this, he noticed Kougu's eyes on his, and looked away, blushing. He was probably gaping at the guy with a really stupid expression. Idiot.
Hey, Jimmy, I've been meaning to ask you...
“Hm?” Jimmy grunted, rubbing his hands together. He was sort of paranoid himself now. He didn't want to lose his fingers.
What made you decide to come on this crazy mission? I mean, if some insane kid rang me up and told me to assassinate the president of the states... You could have just told me to take a hike... But you didn't. Why is that?
Jimmy shrugged, and opened his hands back out in front of the fire. It was a good question, although he'd technically been answering it all along. Kougu was no longer just some 'insane kid' to him. He was a friend. And Jimmy owed him many things.
He found himself smiling fondly as he replied. “A few months ago, Kougu, I suppose you were nothing more than a crazy kid. But I underestimated you, didn't I? As soon as I saw you react when I pointed a gun at you, when Charlie told me and Jordan to put them down, I knew I'd underestimated you. But Back then I was stubborn, and I guess I had nothing to lose. But in Antonio's bar, when you came on your own and just sat there, calmly, and waited for us to find you...” He stared back at the fire, frowning at it's mediocre flames. “That took guts. And watching you manage to take on all his men – even better, scare them off... It really pissed me off at first. But then I witnessed you fighting, protecting Charlie over and over... And, of course, what happened a few days ago, I realised there was more to you than I gave you credit for. You weren't competition anymore. You... You saved my life, and you were willing to go back to Spain with me to get Amelia back which, in a way, is as crazy as this. Kind of.” He smirked. “Not really. But I respect you for it. He lifted his eyes, which were now twinkling warmly with the reflection of the fire. “You're a friend, Kougu. Possibly the only one I've got.” Now. “And even though you're still crazy,” he winked cheekily, “I trust your word. If it's enough to take you away from Charlie and come here on your own, then it's serious. I respect that.”
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:06 pm

Kougu's eyes traced Jimmy's profile, and when he saw the man smile, his own expression softened automatically. Shifting uncomfortably on the cold stone floor, Kougu settled down and listened quietly as Jimmy recounted their first meeting. Kougu nearly winced at the memory. It seemed like so long ago that they had met, instantly becoming bitter enemies... But as Jimmy went on to explain, things had changed since then. Just as he had grown to respect Jimmy, so Jimmy had grown to respect him. As Jimmy mentioned each run-in they'd had, from the encounter with Antonio to the trip to save Amelia, Kougu relived them in his mind; the parts he could remember, anyway. Jimmy said that it took guts for him to take on Antonio and his men single handedly, but Kougu remembered that rather differently. 'Guts' had nothing to do with it. If anything, he had been a coward. When death was nothing but a reward, it took far more guts to live than to look it right in the face. Still, he said nothing. There was no way to explain what had been going through his head back then. When people were born to live, and made to fear death above all else, how could anyone understand how it felt when the fear of life itself outweighed everything else? ((Yeah. Kougu, you're not the only one with issues, you know. XD ))
"You saved my life," Jimmy said at last, his voice recapturing Kougu's wandering attention, "And you were willing to go back to Spain with me to get Amelia back which, in a way, is as crazy as this. Kind of.” Kougu raised an eyebrow, but before he could say anything, Jimmy smirked and amended, “Not really. But I respect you for it." The other man looked up then, and Kougu blinked uncertainly, taken aback by the warmth in his eyes. He wasn't used to people looking at him like that, except maybe Charlie.
“You're a friend, Kougu." Jimmy told him directly, "Possibly the only one I've got. And even though you're still crazy, I trust your word. If it's enough to take you away from Charlie and come here on your own, then it's serious. I respect that.”
For a moment he just looked at Jimmy, stunned, then he laughed under his breath, turning his head away to hide the smile on his face. It felt unnatural, but he couldn't help it. He couldn't have dreamed of a more perfect answer. "Wow..." He chuckled under his breath, "A friend, huh? I didn't expect I'd ever find one of those again." He pushed back his thick fringe, and looked at Jimmy, smiling awkwardly. Truthfully, he was overjoyed that Jimmy did, in fact, see him as a friend after all, but even so, he wasn't quite sure how to react. It had been years since he'd had a friend, apart from Charlie.
"You know you're mad to trust me, right?" He asked, flexing his now-moving fingers, and handing the mug of hot water over to Jimmy, "But for what it's worth, I really appreciate it. Without you, I wouldn't stand a chance in all this; at least now we've got an honest shot." He paused, rubbing his hair awkwardly, and mumbled with a shy shrug, "And if we make it through this alive, well... I'd be honoured to call you my friend."
He was quiet a moment, eyes downcast and cheeks flushed, then he seemed to lose his nerve, and fled from the depth of the conversation.
"Let me take a look at your arm." He said, clearing his throat anxiously and diving into his bag to search for the first aid kit, "I'd better disinfect it again, and change the bandages, maybe I could try stitching some of the bigger wounds..." He trailed off, talking more to himself than to Jimmy, and quickly began gather all his medical supplies without even waiting for his new friend's consent.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:29 am

Jimmy could see his words had made a bigger impact than he had first estimated, and he felt himself chuckle quietly at the colour flushing Kougu's cheeks, usually so pale and bloodless. It was amazing, and amusing, to think he'd really made Kougu happy just from saying something so simple.
Wow... A friend, huh? I didn't expect I'd ever find one of those again.
Jimmy shrugged, then stopped. Again?
You know you're mad to trust me, right?
What?
“Don't remind me.” Jimmy groaned, thinking about everything that had gone wrong since they'd got there. He knew Kougu was crazy, always did, but he also knew Kougu had a decent way of mind, also. He wanted to trust without being reminded about their situation that this wasn't a wild goose chase, but a serious problem that needed to be dealt with. Perhaps he wouldn't save the world but he'd be saving it from years of misery and a very steep downhill before it's even started.
But for what it's worth, I really appreciate it. Without you, I wouldn't stand a chance in all this; at least now we've got an honest shot.
An honest shot...? Well, it was better than nothing.
And if we make it through this alive, well... I'd be honoured to call you my friend.” Well... This would have sounded lame coming from anyone elses lips, but just from studying Kougu's expression Jimmy could tell that it was a really big thing for him, and after goodness knows how long of being on his own, or protecting Charlie, at least he now had a male friend to rely on, and learn from. It made Jimmy feel wanted again, and he was grateful to be given the opportunity of making this guy's life better. He owed him that at least.
Unfortunately this wonderful mood was destroyed at the mention of needles, stitches and Jimmy's chewed-on arm. He stared at Kougu in utter horror, cradling his arm protectively close to his chest, and bent his knees, as if shrinking away form the thought of it.
“You're not coming anywhere near me with a needle, Mister, unless you have a decent anaesthetic.” He warned, shuffling shyly away. He didn't want to admit he was nervous around needles, although he doubted Kougu would pick it up very quickly. “Clean it up and change the bandage, fine. But I'm not going to let you poke me with anything sharper than a plastic butter knife.”
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:20 am

Looking up from his first aid kit, Kougu saw Jimmy shifting away, watching him with a look of absolute horror. Almost amused, he tilted his head questioningly to one side. Jimmy's reaction made it seem more like Kougu had suggested eating him alive, as opposed to fixing up his injured arm.
“You're not coming anywhere near me with a needle, Mister, unless you have a decent anaesthetic.” Jimmy warned, and this time, Kougu actually did laugh. "Calm down, I'm not an animal." He produced a bottle of anaesthetic, holding it out for Jimmy to see. "Happy?"
“Clean it up and change the bandage, fine." Jimmy retorted stubbornly, "But I'm not going to let you poke me with anything sharper than a plastic butter knife.”
"Fine," Kougu shrugged, taking out a clean injection needle, and inserting it into the anaesthetic. He drew out the appropriate measure, then flicked the syringe to get out any air bubbles.
"Heat this for me, please." He requested politely, picking up the metal mug and handing it to Jimmy. As soon as he had taken it, Kougu took advantage of his distraction, and jabbed the needle casually into his arm, squeezing out the aneasthetic.
"There you go." He said, removing the needle and casting it aside, "Now you've got no excuse, and good luck trying to hit me with that arm."
Without waiting for permission, he took hold of Jimmy's injured arm, and began gently unwrapping the bandage. "It's better to stitch it," He explained simply, taking out another alcohol wipe and starting to remove the congealed blood from around the wounds, "You'll have a nasty scar, otherwise. Hold this for me." He placed a wad of gauze into Jimmy's hand, then conjured up a little bottle of antiseptic from his mess of a first aid kit. With crossed legs, he balanced Jimmy's arm over his lap, then poured antiseptic over the punctures, flushing them out. "Gauze," He held out his hand to Jimmy, took the gauze, and wiped the excess liquid away from the arm. Leaning over to the first aid kit again, he produced a needle and medical thread, and prepared to stitch up the larger of the wounds.
"Don't worry." He said, glancing to Jimmy with a reassuring smile, "I know what I'm doing, I promise."
With that, he threaded his needle and, blocking Jimmy's view of the process with his arm, poked the needle through his skin. With quick, agile fingers, he started to stitch. A few short minutes later, it was done.
"There you go." Kougu said, biting off the thread, "Not so bad, is it?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:51 am

Jimmy watched Kougu prepare the needle with narrow, suspicious eyes, and for a moment he wondered what Kougu was going to do with it. Of course, he wouldn't do anything Jimmy wasn't happy with. He wasn't that mean, was he?
In fact, Jimmy was so trustworthy of this face that he took the blanket that was given to him and turned to hold it over the fire with his good hand. What was it for, he wondered. Until something shap bit into his arm.
“Ow!” He squirmed pathetically, head snapping round just as the needle exited his skin. Immediately the area around where the needle had hit went numb. In minutes, nearly his entire lower arm was numb. He stared at it with despair.
There you go.” Kougu told him, sounding annoyingly pleased with himself. “Now you've got no excuse, and good luck trying to hit me with that arm.
Jimmy muttered a few obscenities under his breath, sulking like a spoilt child. Of course he couldn't feel anything, but that was no excuse. No means no. Kougu had tricked him, like a trickster. What a devious little asshole.
He made a mental note next time to take Kougu to a female strip club to watch him squirm. He'd enjoy that, very much. ((Could you imagine? XD)) But first, they needed to get off this stupid mountain range.
From that moment on, Kougu sorted out his arm with nothing but a few authoritative utterances to tell Jimmy to hand him something, and Jimmy did as he was told with that same sulky expression. He knew secretly that it was best that he had stitches, but he didn't want them then. Not when it was cold. Not when they were practically on their own. But he averted his eyes, trusting Kougu to do it properly and not mess his arm up. He wanted scars but not really ugly ones. He still wanted use of his arm for the future.
There you go,” Kougu told him again brightly. “Not so bad, was it?
Jimmy huffed at him, lifting his arm with his other hand and laying it protectively on his lap. That would be the last time for that journey that he'd let Kougu touch that arm. Not without permission, anyway.
He just hoped the next time Kougu got frost bite it would be even more painful the get his nerves back than it had a moment ago.
“Eat your sandwich.” Jimmy glared at him. “If I had to go through that you have to eat your sandwich. Don't think I didn't notice you leave it.”
Oh yeah, buddy. I'm onto you.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:29 am

When Jimmy huffed at him, grabbing his own arm and pulling it away, Kougu just shook his head in amusement and started packing up his things. He decided that now that the wounds were stitched, it would be better for Jimmy's arm to air. It wasn't showing any signs of infection, and Kougu felt fairly confident that he had done a good job of cleaning it up. At least he was beginning to atone for his failure to protect Jimmy from the bear...
His eyebrows drew together at the thought, bringing the perpetual frown back to his face. But just as he was about to start beating himself up all over again, Jimmy spoke up beside him, and Kougu's train of thought derailed as he raised his head to listen.
“Eat your sandwich.” He ordered, looking rather furious. Kougu's eyebrows shot up, and he blinked at Jimmy in blank surprise, wondering if the pain had sent him completely loony.
“If I had to go through that," He explained, "You have to eat your sandwich. Don't think I didn't notice you leave it.”
"But I'm not-" Kougu began objecting, then he broke off at the sharpness of Jimmy's gaze. Looking away sheepishly, he reached for his bag, obediently taking out his sandwich. He wasn't sure why Jimmy was so adamant about him eating it, but he figured that it couldn't be poisoned, since then Jimmy would probably end up as bear fodder trying to get out of the mountains all on his lonesome, with an arm that smelled vaguely like something picked from between a lion's teeth. Well, less so now, but still.
Casting Jimmy a sideways glance, he unwrapped the sandwich, and forced himself to take a bite. At first it was like chewing sawdust, but after he swallowed, he realized that he actually was still hungry, and finished the rest up quickly, feeling rather awkward with Jimmy's eyes on him.
"There," He said, wiping his mouth politely after he'd swallowed the last mouthful, "Happy now?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:17 am

Jimmy glared at Kougu to the entire time he ate, with the obvious intent of making him uncomfortable. Well, tough. Kougu had injected his arm and made it numb,then he practically had to watch it being poked and stabbed at until Kougu decided it wasn't going to drop off. He wasn't sure how this was necessarily a bad thing, but he decided to bare the grudge anyway. He'd probably keep doing that until they'd got back to the house and he'd had an amazingly strong, hot cup of coffee.
His mouth watered at the thought.
There.” Kougu concluded as he finished the last bite of sandwich. “Happy now?
“Ecstatic.” Jimmy responded dryly ((In a very 'Jafar' way XD)) Honestly, he didn't care if the sandwich was nice, or even if it had been a little difficult to start eating it. Kougu was a skinny guy, and if he wanted to succeed in what they were doing he needed to bulk up. So would Jimmy, a little.
“How long do you think the storm will last?” He asked, picking up the forgotten mug of hot water and stuck his free hand in it. The water had cooled with Kougu's frost bite but the temperature was still perfect. At least it wouldn't burn him. For maybe the first time in a while, he smiled. It was the best feeling in the world. “I might have a lie down. We could be here for hours yet.” He murmured shuffling down until he was laying on the flat surface, propped up on his good elbow.
“Thanks for...” He began, then pointed to his arm. He wasn't going to say anymore on the subject, since he was still a little peeved that Kougu had tricked him, but it was better than losing his arm.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:46 am

Kougu just shrugged off Jimmy's sarcastic reply, not really bothering himself with trying to work out whether or not he was serious. It didn't matter, anyway. Rubbing his cold hands together, he blew into them, then hovered them over the fire, staring unseeingly into the orange sparks flying up from the flames.
“How long do you think the storm will last?” Jimmy asked, and Kougu turned his eyes to the small section of sky visible through their snow barricade. It was grey, and a blizzard was clearly raging. Kougu shivered as a stray gust of wind blew into the cave, making the fire flicker.
"A while, I reckon." He answered with a sigh, "I'm hoping it will ease off come morning." He looked at Jimmy, to see him smiling daftly as he dipped his hands into the warm water. Kougu felt his own lips twitch upwards at the silly expression on his face, and he shook his head subtly. There was something to be said for the small pleasures in life. 
“I might have a lie down." Jimmy decided at last, shuffling down onto the cave floor, "We could be here for hours yet.”
Wordlessly, Kougu nodded his agreement, pulling the blanket more snugly over his shoulders to shield himself from the cold.
"Good." He answered, "You need a rest. I'll keep watch."
He pulled the bag closer to him, keen to have his gun nearby, then took to staring vaguely out through the cave entrance, his eyes already taking on a distant look. Just as he was about to drift off into his own world, Jimmy said something beside him, and Kougu glanced curiously at the man.
“Thanks for...”
"Hm?"
Jimmy pointed at his arm, and Kougu felt his expression soften slightly, a smile forming on his lips. "Don't mention it." He replied quietly, "I enjoyed it."
On that rather disturbing note, he turned back to watching the clouds outside. But after a moment, as his words replayed in his head, he seemed to realize just how bad they had sounded. Jimmy was probably thinking he was some sort of sick sadist.
"I, uh..." He cleared his throat, chuckling sheepishly, "I just mean, I like fixing people up. I find medicine fascinating." He offered a vague, half-hearted smile, and added, "I think that if I'd had my way, if my life had gone a little differently, I might have become a doctor. I suppose my bedside manner would need work, though."
((*Gasp* Kougu kinda made a joke. XD And he did that one all by himself. ))

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:36 pm

Kougu's smile was so warm, so angelic, Jimmy half expected a halo to poof above Kougu's head like it was the most natural thing in the world. Unfortunately, his words didn't quite suffice.
Don't mention it.” He replied quietly. “I enjoyed it.
Jimmy's face fell. He what?
That was it. He was stuck in a cave with some weird sadist who had a fetish for blood and guts and was going to paralyse him and chop him up. And his family thought he'd gone on holiday...
I just mean, I like fixing people up. I find medicine fascinating.
“Sure you did.”
I think that if I'd had my way, if my life had gone a little differently, I might have become a doctor. I suppose my bedside manner would need work, though
Jimmy chuckled at this. Did Kougu just pull a funny?
Surprisingly, he could have imagined Kougu as a doctor. He had the mindset for it, including the whole 'stabbing people with needles' thing. He had an innocent face that he used against others. Definite doctor material. Asshole.
“You're a good guy, Kougu.” He murmured through his grin, shaking his head in amusement. “I know you might not think you are, but you are.” He winked, then stretched his arms over his head and yawned, rubbing his eyes tiredly. “I don't know what it is your father tried to turn you into, what with messing you up and making you fight. But if you ask me, he didn't quite succeeded.”
Jimmy cocked his head as if to study Kougu's expression, his eyes softer than they were before. It was true, Kougu was messed up, and a little crazy. He had the ability to kill a lot of people, but he had a kind heart, and was surprisingly loyal. He had his demons, like everyone else. But he was a good guy. That took more guts than it took to give in to his father's will, and that was what had got them there. Hopefully, it was also what would get them out.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:30 pm

Kougu heard his own words as a stranger's, and to hear them spoken in his voice was a surprise of note. Never before had he been willing to admit, even to himself, that perhaps deep down, a monster like him might still have dreams and aspirations; hopes of what life might have been, if he'd been just a normal man, once upon a time. His whole life, he had never imagined that he would be able to admit out loud the very deepest, impossible hopes of his life. Even with Charlie, he had never been - nor ever dared hope to be - more than exactly what he was: A broken man at best, doomed to a life of servitude, of fighting, running and hiding, over and over again.
Yet now here he was, confessing to Jimmy that - just like anyone else with any ounce of humanity - he still nurtured desperate dreams of a future that couldn't possibly exist. He wasn't sure what it was about this man... Maybe he simply trusted him a little too much, or maybe the way Jimmy had turned around his own life had given Kougu hope of doing the same. But whatever it was, something about Jimmy was gradually causing him to open up, and the more he thought about it, the more Kougu realized that - just maybe - that might not be such a bad thing.

“You're a good guy, Kougu.” Jimmy murmured beside him, his words instantly shocking Kougu right off his train of thought. Startled, he looked up at Jimmy, to find the other man watching him with a tired grin, shaking his head in amusement. Once again finding himself uncertain of whether or not this was supposed to be a joke, he let his eyes scan Jimmy's features, hesitant and questioning. In what universe was he considered a 'good guy'?
“I know you might not think you are," Jimmy told him as if reading his mind, "But you are.” He was about to object, but Jimmy's wink silenced him, and he bowed his head humbly as the other man went on, “I don't know what it is your father tried to turn you into, what with messing you up and making you fight. But if you ask me, he didn't quite succeed.”
At this, Kougu was honestly lost for words. It was perhaps the kindest thing he'd heard in his life, but what surprised him most wasn't that Jimmy had said it - although that was unbelievable enough in itself - but what stunned him most of all was the simple fact that, for the first time in his life, he thought that he might just believe it, just a little bit. There was something about the sincerity in Jimmy's voice, and the softness in his eye, that Kougu found suddenly overpowering. The meaning of the words hit him like a punch, and he felt a horrible twisting sensation in the pit of his stomach, which at first he mistook as guilt. It took a few long moments before he recognized it as sheer relief, undoing doubts that stretched so damn deep, Kougu had just about considered them a part of himself. He shivered slightly, but it was not from the cold. At long last, he was beginning to feel a little more than useless... And he didn't even know how to begin to thank Jimmy for that.
The heaviness of his feelings pressed down strongly on his shoulders, until at last Kougu's grim mask cracked, and he laughed under his breath, an earnest smile curving his lips.
"Well," He answered at last, "I don't think I've ever been so proud of failing in my life." As he raised his head, he finally met Jimmy's eyes, and said simply, "Thank you."
It couldn't have been more obvious that he was thanking Jimmy for a hell of a lot more than a few kind words. In a way, this man had just turned his whole life around. No words could ever express the gratitude he felt at that moment.
A good guy, huh...?
The way Jimmy said it, Kougu almost wanted to believe him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Kougu seemed to think long and hard about what Jimmy had said, which was fine with him. The warmth of his coat and the water that had warmed his fingers had made Jimmy perfectly content with silence. But of course, Kougu had only been thinking. Although he'd thought for a while, he decided a reply was necessary. Unbeknownst to Jimmy, the compliment had hit home more than he'd expected.
I don't think I've ever been so proud of failing in my life.
Jimmy made a soft happy/laughing sound under his breath, quietly regarding Kougu with a frown. 'Proud' was a strong word, but he guessed it made sense. Kougu had taken on a lot, been through a lot, and to have the guts to come to America with little chance of succeeding took guts. But more importantly, becoming such a caring person after being brought up by such a psycho meant he was much stronger than people thought he was. Hell, he was stronger than Jimmy, that was for sure.
Thank you.
Jimmy craned his neck to see Kougu's face properly, and at the soft, grateful twinkle in his eye made Jimmy's face go warm. He'd caused that. He'd made Kougu feel confident in himself again. The thought made him want to smile.
But he wasn't one for 'thank yous' and he wasn't very sure how to react. So, shrugging, he laid on his side and shuffled until he was comfy. “Don't mention it.” He replied, like he'd just complimented Kougu's shoes or jacket.
“But if you tell Alfy I said that, I'll deny it.” He said with a smirk. That boy needed to think Jimmy was ruthless. He couldn't get away with smooching with Amy, not even once. He had to fear Jimmy, that was Jimmy's job as the older brother.
“Wake me up in an hour.” He ordered, resting his face against his sleeve tiredly.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:46 pm

“Don't mention it.” Jimmy replied, brushing off Kougu's thanks without a second thought, “But if you tell Alfy I said that, I'll deny it.”
Kougu uttered a little breath of amusement, and promised quietly, "Wouldn't dream of it."
With that, Jimmy curled up on the ground and mumbled, “Wake me up in an hour.” To which Kougu nodded obediently. For a moment he watched Jimmy, the way his head rested lightly on his good arm, while the injured one lay delicately at his side. He looked so helpless, resting like that. Kougu couldn't help but feel a little protective. So, shrugging off the blanket around his shoulders, he tossed it casually over Jimmy, then picked up his bag and shuffled stiffly to the other side of the cave, sitting down where he had a clear view of the entrance. Content with his post, he shuffled down against the wall, making himself as small as possible to conserve heat, and hugged his knees as he stared blankly out into the storm, letting his mind drift. He wouldn't be able to sleep anyway, he knew. Keeping watch was as good an excuse as any not to.

An hour passed, but Kougu didn't wake Jimmy. The man needed his sleep, and frankly, Kougu needed the solitude. It was difficult for him, keeping company around at all times, no matter how fond he'd grown of Jimmy. For his own sanity, he needed his space.
More hours past, and as midnight came and went, the storm raged on outside. By the early hours of the morning, Kougu was as curled up as a man could possibly be, shivering violently. The dials on Kougu's watch had stopped just after three due to the cold, but he guessed it must have been around six AM when the storm finally dissipated, leaving a few faint rays of sun glittering on the snow outside. Shivering, he raised his head curiously as the temperature began to creep upwards. Stretching out his limbs one by one, he prepared himself to get up and go outside, but just as he was about to clamber to cold, numb feet, a thump came from outside, and the packed snow barricade in the entrance began crumbling. His eyes shot open, and in a flash he was on his feet, a gun in his hands.
"Jimmy!" He barked sharply, narrowing his eyes as another thump made another slump of snow fall as powder to the floor. He raised his gun and waited, tensed, to see what was coming.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:33 pm

Jimmy slept lightly and uncomfortably, and the cold soon caused him to stir with a cruel draft that was coming through the opening of the cave.
Wait. Hadn't Kougu sealed it off with snow? So why-
Jimmy!” Someone hissed, then a thump came from the opening. It was followed with the sound of something falling. Snow. Was that Kougu? Or...
Anotehr thud. Jimmy jerked up, eyes staring at Kougu questioningly. He prayed it was just Kougu going out to check if the storm had gone, but Kougu had his gun at the ready and was looking somewhat uneasy. Well, it was hard to tell with him.
Slowly, Jimmy found his feet, although he'd forgotten that his arm would hurt with all the stitches and nearly swore loudly when he caught it on something. But he bit his tongue, yawned, and slipped the pocket knife from his belt. It still had a bit of blood on it from it from when he'd stabbed the bear. But whoever was outside probably wouldn't complain.
He staggered to the wall of the entrance, resting his shoulder against the cold cave wall. His eyes were on Kougu. What's going on?
But he knew something was wrong. That was obvious. So he held his knife in his fist, blade out, ready to stab it or point it at the intruder's throat. As long as there was only one of them.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:12 pm

Moments after he'd spoken, Jimmy staggered up beside him, but Kougu pushed him back firmly, shooting him a brief glare. He wasn't doing a damn thing with that arm of his in such a state. But before Kougu could scold him, the last of the barricade fell away, and he was left standing face-to-face with a thin, grey-haired man, who was holding a shovel in his right hand. But instead of backing down as he usually would at the sight of a person at the end of his gun, Kougu set his arm, eyes narrowing dangerously. He was painfully aware of Jimmy waiting behind him, injured and vulnerable, and he wasn't going to be taking any chances.
"Who are you?" He asked sharply, and the older man blanched when he noticed the gun pointing at him, dropping the spade and holding up his hands.
"Whoa, whoa!" He exclaimed, backing up a step, "Take it easy, I'm here to help you."
For a moment Kougu watched him suspiciously, but from what he could tell the man was unarmed, and they did need help. Slowly, he lowered the gun to his side.
"Thanks." The older man chuckled, breathing a sigh of relief, "Although I can't say I blame you for being on edge, after that bear attack."
"You saw that?" Kougu shifted back a step, starting to become anxious again now that he no longer felt he had to protect Jimmy.
"I saw it." The stranger replied, "That's why I came down here. I figured you boys might need some help." He nodded outside, and Kougu craned his neck to see a snowmobile waiting a few meters from the cave.  Relief surged through him.
"We'd appreciate that." Kougu murmured softly, "My friend," He nodded to Jimmy, "Could use a ride back down to the road."
"Of course." The stranger replied, hooking his thumbs under the straps of his backpack - which Kougu hadn't noticed until now - and hoisting it more securely onto his back, "But first, how about I have a look at your injuries?" He smiled kindly, but as he stepped toward Jimmy, Kougu moved forward and said  quickly, "I've already seen to it." Clearly, he still wasn't comfortable with the idea of this stranger getting too close to his friend. Truth was, he had been feeling a little overprotective ever since Jimmy  had nearly been eaten alive by the Grizzly.
"Okay," The stranger said, raising his hands again, and glancing quickly from Kougu to Jimmy and back again. His lined face creased into a frown. "What the hell were you two thinking anyway?" He demanded, "Everybody knows that there are grizzlies in the Coldclaw Mountains, and they get vicious this time of year." He folded his arms firmly across his chest, "Just what in the hell brought you out here, anyway?"
Kougu hesitated a moment, eyeing the man suspiciously, then muttered, "We're looking for someone."
"Who?"
"Sam Bates."
There was a long pause, and the old man considered the pair of them, glancing from the gun hanging limply in Kougu's hand to the bandage on Jimmy's arm. Now it was his turn to look suspicious. "Why?"
All the while Kougu had watched his expression change, and now he dropped his gun at his foot as he said quietly, "Because we need your help, or rather, we want to help you to help yourself."

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:28 am

((I don't have your login info on this laptop, so I'm just posting this on my account for now because I need to reply. ))

Jimmy prepared himself to fight, but the next thing he knew Kougu was pushing him backwards so sharply he nearly fell onto his backside. What the hell was that for? He glared at Kougu, who glared right back at him, and opened his arms out in a questioning gesture. But they didn't have the time to argue, because whoever had hacked at the snow at the cave's entrance had finished hacking away, and they were both stood face-to-face with a grey-haired stranger with a spade. Jimmy raised an eyebrow at him. He was pretty harmless-looking, and couldn't be any special agent sent from the government because he wasn't anywhere near well groomed, and at the sight of Kougu's gun he looked honestly taken aback, and raised his hands in defeat. Jimmy couldn't see Kougu's expression, but by his body language he knew he'd do the same. It was a smart move. The stranger mentioned that he'd seen the bear attack, but instead of being suspicious, Jimmy was irritated. If he'd seen it why hadn't he helped out? Besides, there hadn't been anyone around, otherwise the bear would have gone after them also. Jimmy stepped to the side just so he'd be able to see over Kougu's shoulder a little clearer. He was a tall guy, and didn't seem in the mood for surrendering, but eventually he seemed to realise this stranger wasn't a threat, and lowered the gun to his side. But Kougu didn't seem to want to let him move forward any further. Since the attack Kougu had been slightly protective of him, and he thought guilt might be why. Kougu was soft like that. He could tell. “What the Hell were you two thinking anyway?” The stranger demanded. “Everybody knows that there are grizzlies in the Coldclaw mountains, and they get vicious at this time of year.” “Thanks for the advice.” Jimmy glared ulkily at him, gesturing to his chewed arm. “I think we've figured that one out.” Jerk. He asked Kougu why they were there, and after a moment of thought, Kougu came clean. Something in the stranger changed. He looked more wary of them, more suspicious, slightly more worried of the fact Kougu had a gun than before. Kougu picked up in this in record timing, because it seemed he knew by that alone that this man was the one they were looking for. “Because we need your help,” He said when the stranger asked why. “Or rather, we want to help you help yourself.” Jimmy nodded with a proud little smirk. Nice touch. “We know why you're up here.” He nodded to the mountains outside, cocking his head as he rubbed his arm absentmindedly. “And we promise we bid you no harm. Despite...” He nodded awkwardly to Kougu's gun, then cleared his throat. “I'm not asking you to trust us, just hear us out. How's that?” He raised his eyebrows kindly, then shifted to Kougu's side so he was resting on the wall between them both. He wasn't defenceless. He didn't need protecting like a lioness to her cub.

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:17 am

Sam Bates looked at the young men before him, and narrowed his eyes suspiciously, tightening the wrinkles stretching from their sides. 'Help him to help himself'? What the hell was that supposed to mean, anyway? Just what did they know about his circumstances? He opened and closed his fingers on the handle of the spade, setting his jaw anxiously. They didn't look like the sort who worked for Noah, but who could tell? His old rival was a mastermind, after all. He'd figured that out the hard way. 
“We know why you're up here.” Jimmy said, and Sam's eyes darted away from Kougu to fall on him with equal suspicion, “And we promise we bid you no harm. Despite...” Jimmy nodded to the gun, which Kougu pushed sheepishly away with his foot. Sam almost smiled. For the first time, he registered the fact that this youngster was nothing but a boy, and at that moment, he looked as if he'd just been sent into a time out. Gradually, Sam's shoulders began to relax.
“I'm not asking you to trust us, just hear us out." Jimmy said fairly, leaning back against the wall of the cave, "How's that?”
"Alright." Sam nodded, "I'm listening, but if you two try to pull a fast one on me, I swear to God I'll leave you for the damn bears."
His tired old face softened slightly, allowing for what might have been a smile in a time before his deep-set frown lines had masked it.
"We're on your side." Kougu promised, and Sam's gaze returned to him, "Look..." He took a deep breath, steeling himself, then summoned his confidence, and told Sam what they knew. When he'd finished, Sam had sat down on the floor, and was warming his hands over the still glowing ashes of the fire.
"So," Kougu concluded at last, "We plan on doing whatever we can to stop him, and if what my sources tell me is correct, then you might just be able to help us."
Sam looked up at him, considering him thoughtfully, and asked, "So what do you want from me?"
"Information." Kougu answered softly, "Tell us everything you know."
Sam looked from Kougu to Jimmy, silently judging them, then stood up and dusted his hands on his worn jeans. "I like you kids." He said, folding his arms as he spoke to the pair, "And for the record I think you're mad, but I'll tell you what I know. I don't know that it'll be of much help to you, but..." He smiled, "Well, you can decide that."
Kougu nodded his thanks, and with that, Sam began to tell his story.
He explained that he had been running against Noah as a presidency candidate, and at first everything had seemed to run as it should be. But soon enough he began to notice strange things happening with the voting and, suspicious, he chose to investigate it. "In hindsight," Sam muttered with a wistful smile, "I suppose I shouldn't have gone snooping, or that I should have sent someone else to do it for me, but that's always been my problem. I've got a 'hands on' approach to everything. Hell," He chuckled, "That's the reason I wanted to run the country. I wanted to take this screwed up place by the horns and set it straight with my own two hands... But you know what they say. Pride always comes before a fall."
Sam sighed, then continued to tell them about how he'd snooped through Noah's office, and found some disturbing plans about what he intended to do once in power; the implementation of the death sentence, and the motivation behind it. Of course, it was all old news to Kougu, but what Sam said offered a new perspective, not to mention some insight into how Noah planned to get the ball rolling. He would be creating a special police task force to bring in people who he considered 'criminals'. They would then be judged by the head of the task force - Kougu guessed that this would be just another of Noah's aliases - and then put to death. None of this news was even slightly surprising, but it was new knowledge nevertheless, and Kougu was gradually forming an idea of where to start.
Sam finished his story by telling of how Noah found out what he'd done, and how he'd had to fake his own death and flee to hide in the mountains.
"He doesn't know I'm alive." He finished, "And I'm trusting the two of you to keep it that way."
Kougu nodded his promise.
"So now that you know what you need to know," He nodded toward the cave entrance, "What do you say I give you two a lift down this mountain, huh?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:13 am

I'm listening, but if you two try to pull a fast one on me, I swear to God I'll leave you for the damn bears.
Jimmy nearly laughed at the irony. “Oh, I believe you.” He didn't need to be told twice. After the attack he'd suffered with that grizzly, he would have happily never seen He moved aside, offering Sam into there tiny shelter, and sat back down in front of the fire. Anywhere to keep him away from that unforgiving snow.
He remained silent as Kougu told him everything they knew, why they were there and where they had come from. Sam Bates seemed to believe him, and with some reluctance, he opened up in response. Jimmy wasn't all too pleased at being referred to as a 'kid', since he was slowly approaching his twenty-third birthday. Being an older brother he had never been referred to in that way, but he bit back his irritation. Sam had been through enough. Jimmy was surprised he till knew how to interact with people, and how he'd kept a hold of his sanity, but he seemed a decent guy. Especially for an ex-politician.
Sam seemed to know everything Kougu had estimated, but at least the new information would still help them out. Now they knew Noah's plans for sure, and they'd be able to prepare themselves for it.
He pitied this guy. T must have been difficult to fake his death and leave his family to live in this hell hole for the rest of his life. But him being alive helped Jimmy and Kougu greatly, and it seemed he knew that. Jimmy guessed he was probably just glad to have someone on his side. Being punished just for knowing something must have seriously sucked for him.
He rolled his head back and stared at a couple of sleeping bats above their heads. This sh*t was getting real, quickly.
So now that you know what you need to know,” Bates lightened up a little bit. “What do you say I give you two a lift down this mountain, huh?
Jimmy was the first to follow him. “Jesus, yes please.” He looked grateful enough to kiss the man's feet there and then, but all he could do was grin as widely as he possibly could. To get out of there even earlier than he'd expected was probably the best news he'd received that day. Besides, he wanted nothing more than a hot cup of coffee.
His mouth began to drool at the thought.
“Thank you for telling us what you know.” He nodded gratefully, shuffling to his feet, and pulled his thick gloves back on. “It'll help us a lot. And maybe you'll be able to see your family again.”
He regretted it the minute it had left his tongue, but Jimmy couldn't take the words back. If all went well, this man wouldn't have to hide anymore, but if it failed... He didn't want to think about it.
Clearing his throat, Jimmy grabbed his backpack and yanked it over his shoulder, cradling his sore arm protectively close to his chest.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:42 am

Silently, Kougu gathered his things and followed Jimmy and Sam out to the snowmobile, hanging back as he always did. He was pleased to see Jimmy looking so happy, and to be honest he wasn't too miserable himself. He had a heading, and he was eager to get started with his mission. Sam's story had inspired him all over again.
“Thank you for telling us what you know.” Jimmy said, and Kougu nodded his agreement. Sam just smiled, opening up a compartment on the side of the snowmobile to store their luggage.
“It'll help us a lot. And maybe you'll be able to see your family again.
Kougu winced at this, and sure enough, when he looked up, Sam's shoulders had tensed. Nobody liked to be reminded that they were all alone... That their family was gone... He knew that better than anyone.
"That sure would be swell..." Sam murmured under his breath. Kougu shot Jimmy a sideways glance, silently scolding him for his lack of tact. Not that he was one to talk.
"Thanks again, Mr. Bates." He said, stepping forward to drop his bag into the luggage compartment, "We really appreciate you coming down here to help us."
"Glad to do it." Sam shrugged, "I'm just happy to hear that someone is trying to do something about Noah. It sure is a load off my mind. Now come on." He swung a leg over the saddle of the snowmobile, and scooted forward as far as possible, "Pile on. Let's get out of here."

Once Jimmy had mounted the snowmobile, Kougu perched himself reluctantly on the edge of the seat, not particularly pleased about this invasion of his personal space. But there was a time and a place for his neuroses, and this was neither. Sam drove them about halfway down the mountain, to roundabout where they'd been attacked by the grizzly, then stopped, and shut off the snowmobile.
"Sorry lads," He said, "This is as far as I can take you. Taking this noisy old thing into grizzly territory is suicide, and I won't be doing you or myself any favours." He glanced back over his shoulder, shrugging apologetically. "Safe trip, then. And good luck, really."

In the moment, Kougu was too relieved to get off the snowmobile to worry about being abandoned halfway back, but once he'd taken his things and thanked Sam, as he watched him drive away, he began to feel slightly concerned. He just hoped they wouldn't run into any more bears... At this thought, he took his gun out of his bag, and slipped it into his belt instead, keeping it at the ready.
"It's not too far back." He said encouragingly, glancing toward Jimmy with a faint smile, "You ready to go?"

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:07 am

Ashamed of his stupidity, Jimmy remained silence for the rest of the conversation. He was aware of the atmosphere he'd created, and he wasn't prepared to make it any worse.
He mounted the snow mobile, grabbed the nearest handle and braced himself for a bumpy ride. It was over quicker than he hoped, because Bates stopped the snowmobile around the area where they had been charged at by the grizzly – Hell, Jimmy could even see the tree he bashed into, stained with blood – and he felt his heart sink. They weren't getting a lift right down the mountain. Just half way down. There would still be a couple of hours' worth of trekking downhill until they reached the carpark, and that would be way more difficult with a chewed up arm.
Sorry, lads. This is as far as I can take you. Taking this noisy old thing into grizzly territory is suicide, and I won't be doing you or myself any favours.
“Thanks.” Jimmy mumbled, although he didn't sound very grateful.
Safe trip, then. And good luck, really.
Once they'd both dismounted Bates left them there, in the middle of the snow, surrounded by pine trees. A grizzly could be lurking behind any one of those, and then history would repeat itself.
Jimmy clutched his arm to his stomach. He couldn't have been craving a coffee any more desperately than that moment.
It's not too far back.” Kougu told him brightly, arming himself with the gun. His mood contrasted with his actions. Jimmy glared at him. “You ready to go?
“As ready as I'll every be.” He mumbled, pulling the scarf back over his face and adjusting the strap on his bag. The storm had covered the ground with an extra thick layer of loose, slippery snow that acted like cold sand. The way down was like trying to walk down a water slide without falling over.
“You got any knives?” He asked Kougu from behind, cocking his head at the thought of Kougu using bullets to bring down a grizzly. “Throwing knives will be quicker if we get attacked, you know. Have you never played video games?”
That was a stupid question.
“Knives are retrievable. Shooting them will just be a waste of bullets.”
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:42 am

“You got any knives?” Jimmy asked behind him as they stepped carefully down the slope, trying hard not to slip, “Throwing knives will be quicker if we get attacked, you know. Have you never played video games?”
"No." Kougu answered, glancing back at Jimmy, "But it's harder to aim with knives, and nearly impossible to generate enough force to do any real damage."
“Knives are retrievable." Jimmy argued stubbornly, "Shooting them will just be a waste of bullets.”
"One bullet between the eyes," Kougu corrected, tapping his own forehead to demonstrate, "That's all it takes, as long as you aim carefully. But it doesn't matter," He shoved his hands deep into his pockets, raising his shoulders to warm his neck, "We're not going to run into any grizzlies anyway. They'll have smelled the dead one by now; I don't think they'll come over here."
He shivered slightly, staring down the slope to where the grizzly bear's carcass lay, its thick brown fur blowing softly in the breeze. The snow around it was stained a terrible, dark scarlet. Kougu couldn't drag his eyes away; it was beautiful. Horrible, but beautiful. He slowed his pace, feeling his heartbeat quicken at the memory of the bear attack. Then he shook it off and hurried after Jimmy, who by this point had already overtaken him. He was beginning to feel stressed and anxious again as they walked away from the bear, and in the back of his mind, Kougu had this horrible feeling that he had forgotten something. It wasn't until he heard the crack that he remembered what it was.

It felt as if it had come right from the core or the world, and Kougu felt it in the marrows of his bones, freezing him to the spot. Horror stuck the pit of his stomach like a lead weight.
The river! On the way up they had detoured around it, but now, as Kougu's eyes darted to the ground, he saw a crack racing at full speed toward Jimmy, spitting up little flakes of snow as it quickly split the thin ice.
"Jimmy, don't move!" Kougu shouted, his eyes wide as he froze tensely to the spot. The crack stopped spreading, but the ground underfoot still groaned threateningly, and Kougu knew that it might give way any moment. Heart thudding rapidly in his throat, he looked anxiously at his feet, to see the shadow of running water beneath the thin layer of ice.
Making himself as light on his feet as possible, Kougu took a deep breath, and looked over at Jimmy. With a sound like gunfire, another crack appeared in the ice, and he couldn't help but flinch.
"Take my hand." He said quietly, stretching out toward Jimmy. He cast an anxious glance at the deadly footing, then looked back at Jimmy, eyes wide with fear.  One wrong step, and we could both fall to our deaths...
"Trust me!" He pressed firmly, beckoning with his fingers, "Take it."

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreambug Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:00 pm

Jimmy cocked his head at Kougu's reply, but he didn't say anything. Kougu could try aiming for the bear's head next time it was chewing on his limbs, but he would probably miss.
They walked downhill for a very long time, both just concentrating on keeping their feet on the ground and not their backsides. At times the ground got so steep Jimmy could touch the ground beside him as he slid down without having to bend to the side almost at all. But neither of them managed to fall, right until they reached flatter ground, and Jimmy felt himself relax. Flat ground meant they were nearly there.
Unfortunately the relaxation was short-lived.
He felt a rumble below their feet, and he slowed his step. There was something definitely wrong about this terrain. It wasn't the same as the soft, dust-like snow they'd passed earlier. It was harder, and yet it bent when he stepped on it. Not considerably, but he could definitely feel it. Like stepping on a loose floor board. Then-
Jimmy, don't move!
“What?” He froze in his spot, and that was when he heard the crack. It was a terrifying sound, if quiet. But it didn't take him long to understand what it meant.
We're one step away from falling to our deaths.
Crap.
Take my hand.” Kougu ordered, carefully stretching his hand out. Jimmy glanced at t uncertainly. When was the last time anyone had ever told him that? “Trust me! Take it.
“Fine.” Jimmy told him, his voice shaking with nerves. He was far too scared to look down in case his head movement affected his balance. “Just don't tell Charlie.” He added with a nervous chuckle, stretching his hand out to grab Kougu's. Thank goodness they hadn't strayed to far from each other.
As soon as Jimmy had his hand he adjusted his grip, twisting his hand so they were clutching to each other almost as One would in an arm wrestle.
“And for the love of God, don't let go.” He added, his voice shaking.
Dreambug
Dreambug

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next