Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Middy and Polo

2 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Middy and Polo - Page 6 Empty Re: Middy and Polo

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:53 am

"I'm used to it." Laiko replied with a simple shrug, not too keen to draw any more attention toward his wound. In fact, he rather hoped he could just forget all about it... As such, he willingly delved into the conversation as the topic changed to Max. "Oh, you naughty dog!" Laiko exclaimed, lifting Max up and balancing the dog on his knee, ruffling the fur on his head affectionately before releasing him back into the water and turning back to Ada. "I imagine that must have been rather embarassing." Laiko pointed out with a grin, "But then again..." He added, his gaze lingering on the woman Ada had indicated, "I daresay she deserved it... And Max probably did her a favour by stealing that rib burger!" Laiko added with a playful wink, chuckling slightly. He lapsed into silence then, frowning slightly, then began to speak again. "Actually, I shouldn't say things like that..." He ammended in thoughtful concern, "I wonder when I started judging people..." He murmured thoughtfully, his face creasing into a frown. "Do me a favour and slap some sense into me if I do that again!" Laiko requested of Ada with an impish grin, "I think all this luxury living is getting me rather full of myself." He added with a wink, then became distracted as a giant wave loomed over him. He gaped up into its deep blue depths, then instinctively dived into it, fighting the pull of the current with minimum effort before resurfacing on the other side. Ah... Apparently he could swim. That was good news... It would have been rather awkward if he'd found himself unable to. Laiko grinned soggily as Ada coughed and spluttered, then began to laugh. He shook the moisture from his hair like a wet dog, then turned his attention back to Ada. "It is great!" He agreed enthusiastically, " And apparently I do swim." He added, kicking off the ground and floating on his back - his feet propelling him effortlessly along before he he stopped and began to tread water again. "I'd love to come along." He concluded cheerfully, "I think it would be quite enjoyable to try some more swimming." He flashed her one last grin, then dived under the water and swam in a circle before coming up again, spitting out a jet of water. "Ugh! Salty!" He exclaimed with a laugh, clearly enjoying himself as he gambolled in the cool, salty liquid.
Polo trapped in an inkpot

Location : With the beast under your bed, in your closet, in your head...

Back to top Go down

Post  Middy Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:33 pm

I laughed as Laiko came back up, spitting out a lot of water. "Ugh! Salty!" He exclaimed, and I laughed with him again. As time went on, I figured it was about time we got on our way. "Are you ready to go?" I called to Laiko, searching for Max and soon spotting him on the beach, barking at the waves. "Max!" I called, turning to grin at Laiko. We must have been in the water for a half hour, probably more, and I was beginning to get chilly. The obedience class had ended long ago, and there was only a few dogs besides Max on the beach. As I was getting out of the water, I spotted something in the dirch beside the road. Figuring it was garbage, I frowned slightly and went over to it. Why couldn't people ever clean up their own mess? But when I got a closer look, I realized it was an injured seagull. As I crept forward the bird let out a feeble squack[SP? Razz]. "Poor thing," I mumbled, carefully taking the bird in my arms. It was too weak to fight back and let me take it to the spot where our clothes were. Hoping Laiko wouldn't mind, I folded his clothes and put them next to mine in the sand, using the plastic bag on my arms so it was under the bird. I had no idea how dirty it could be or what sort of diseases or such it might carry. I was guessing that it was hurt because it had gotten ran over, since I had found the seagull in the ditch beside the road, but I still had no idea...
[I guess it's finished... Razz]

Middy

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:26 am

"Sure." Laiko replied with a smile, wading through the deep water back toward the shore. He paused as he heard Ada call Max, quickly glancing over at the dog. He chuckled fondly at Max's antics as the dog barked enthusiastically at the waves. Clearly, he was feeling much better... Laiko glanced at Ada and returned her grin, then continued to the shore. He paused as he reached the soft, warm sand and glanced around for Ada. He finally detected her crouching near the clothes with something bundled in her arms. Frowning in slight concern and curiosity, Laiko jogged over to her. As he got closer, he was able to see that the bundle she held was in fact a seagull, and the bird did not look too happy. Laiko's frown deepened as he came to a standstill beside the pair, leaning down to get a closer look at the bird. "Looks like it might have internal injury..." He commented in the sort of hushed tone one might use at the sickbed of a sleeping patient in a hospital. As usual, he considered the health of the animal of the utmost importance, and everything else was forgotten as he gazed sympathetically down at the bird and gnawed his lip in worry. "Do you think... Should we take it to the vet?" Laiko asked, cringing slightly at the thought of returning to the vet clinic. Not only would it be potentially costly, but if that same vet was there... He had been slightly freaked out last time, and he was not eager to repeat the procedure, nor feel the awkwardness of the man's desperate, longing gaze upon him at all times as he nurtured memories of the son he had obviously lost touch with. Laiko shuddered slightly at the thought, though he had no intention of revoking his suggestion. A little awkwardness wouldn't do him any lasting damage. The bird's injuries, on the other hand, could prove fatal if left alone. Then again, he would probably have been able to do something himself with the right equipment... At least, he wanted to think so. He had always had an uncanny knack for medical aid... Perhaps that was one other bit of hidden knowledge that he had forgotten the night of the attack.

Back to top Go down

Post  Middy Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:22 am

I watched Laiko come over, frowning slightly. I figured he was wondering what I had, and as he got closer he must have realized. "Looks like it might have internal injury..." I nodded, though not completely sure what it meant. "I found him in that ditch," I said, pointing. "I'm thinking he might have gotten ran over or something, somehow." I said, looking down at the bird who now had it's eyes closed. "Do you think... Should we take it to the vet?" I could tell Laiko didn't like the thought of that, and I didn't either. It was just too much money. But what if the bird was very badly injured? "We can try to take care of him at my house, and if he gets any worse maybe we can just get a check up or something..." I said, thinking. I gently put the bird down in the sand and picked up my clothes and my towel. I bit my lip, thinking that was probably really hot. "Could you pick up the bird while I get changed?" I asked Laiko before heading to the dressing room, where I dried off and dressed into my clothes. Then I walked back to Laiko, Max and the seagull, my bathingsuit in one hand and my towel in the other. "Do you want to get changed now?" I asked, offering to take the bird and clicking Max on his leash. When nwe atarted walking, I would have to see if Laiko could take Max or the seagull...

Middy

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:17 am

Laiko followed Ada's gaze as she indicated the ditch. "Quite possible..." He muttered softly in response, turning his sympathetic gaze back toward the bird. He watched it for a moment, his forehead creased in a concerned frown, then raised his head as Ada spoke again. "That sounds like a good idea." Laiko replied with a slight smile. Then he shocked himself by adding some extra knowledge that he had no recollection of having learned. "Nine times out of ten, it's just the shock that gets them, and that will most likely have worn off by tomorrow. With a bit of luck, we should be able to let him go then... Assuming our estimations are correct, of course..." Laiko gnawed on his lip, stroking the bird's head softly with one finger, then simply nodded in response to Ada's next question. He sat down beside the injured bird and gently lifted it into his lap, then held it there as he waited for Ada. He murmured softly to the bird, his soft blonde fringe falling down to cover his eyes as he watched the bird blink trustingly up at him. He glanced up and offered a subdued smile as Ada returned. "Sure." He replied simply in response to her question, gently lifting the bird from his lap and offering it to Ada before jogging over to the change room. He quickly changed back into his clothes, releasing a sigh of relief at being properly covered up again, then walked back over to Ada. "Want me to take him?" He asked, gesturing toward the seagull.

Back to top Go down

Post  Middy Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:58 am

I looked up from the bird as Laiko came over. "Want me to take him?" He asked, and I nodded, carefully handing him the bird. I took Max's leash in my hand and began walking down the street, wanting to get home and get the seagull out fo the sun. After a few miutes of walking, we made it home. I clipped Max on outside before unlocking the door and holding it open for Laiko and the seagull. Then I refilled Max's water bowl; I didn't want him to get thirsty or too hot. It was a good thing there was a nice, shady tree in our small yard... After putting the bowl outside, I went back in and closed the door. It was much cooler in the house, and I felt bad about leaving Max outside. "I guess we should check him over?" I asked, laying an old towel on the floor and laying the bird down on it. I gently probed at his feathers, feeling for injuries. Laiko was probably right about the whole 'internal injury' thing, but it wouldn't hurt to check him over anyways. "I can go get my first aid kit," I offered, heading to the washroom. I rooted around in the cubboard until I found the kit and the few other things I though might be helpful. I went back downstairs and dropped the stuff beside the towel near Laiko, biting my lip.

Middy

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Laiko followed Ada back to the house, pausing and waiting outside while she saw to Max. Once she was done, he folowed her inside and handed the gull over to her. He watched as she put it down on a towel, then probed it gently with her fingers. He gnawed his lip nervously, simply nodding in accepance as she offered to get her first aid kit. Laiko murmured his thanks as she brought it, then knelt beside the bird. He looked it over carefully, pressing softly in some places. The seagull squawked and flinched as Laiko poked a spot under its left wing. He gave a grim nod, then glanced toward Ada. "I think it has a broken rib." He concluded hesitantly. Laiko thought for a moment, then released a sigh and got to his feet. "Maybe I should... Uh... Ugh, I don't know." He admitted with a faint helpless chuckle. "Actually..." He began, frowning thoughtully, "It would probably heal best in its own..." He trailed off, glancing up as he heard Max start to bark. "Is there somebody at the door?" He asked with vague interest, glancing curiously toward it.

((Sorry, awful block. Razz ))

Back to top Go down

Post  Middy Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:52 am

I watched Laiko and lsitened to him carefully. "I think it has a broken rib." He said hesitantly, and I nodded. "Maybe I should... Uh... Ugh, I don't know." He said with a faint helpless chuckle. "Actually..." He began, frowning thoughtully, "It would probably heal best in its own..." By now, I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or himself. I stroked the bird, being careful not to touch near it's left wing. "Maybe we could just give him or her some food, let it rest...?" I offered, feeling unsure. As I said, I knew very little about first aid. I jumped when I hear Max barking. He didn't usually bark unless someone came up to the door, and that happened rarely. "Is there somebody at the door?" Laiko asked curiously, and I shook my head. "I don't know," I said, looking out the window to see [??????? Razz] petting Max. At first, I didn't recognize the person, but after a moment of staring I realized who it was.

Middy

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:43 pm

"Ada!" The man called, walking over and rapping on the door, "I have that book I borrowed from you." He said, raising his hand to display the book. He knew that Ada must be at home, because he could see Max chained outside. He lowered his arm again, fiddling with the book in his hands as he glanced around the garden. It had taken him ages to locate Ada's new place of residence... But he had been feeling so guilty about always forgetting to get the book back to her after he had asked to borrow it all those years ago... In fact, he had almost lost it at one stage. It was about time he got it back to her, even though she had likely as not forgotten that she had even lent it to him... She had always been one of his favourite students. An honest and interesting girl, to say the least. Though of course, he was not really allowed to have favourites, so he would keep those thoughts to himself...

Laiko tilted his head curiously as the man began shouting. "Know what's funny..." He mumbled with a slight frown. "I could swear I've heard his voice before, but I don't think I've ever met him." Laiko admitted, blinking in vague surprise at his thoughts. That had made absolutely no sense. Then again, did anything that happened around him ever make sense? Not really... There was simply too much Deja Vu for logic or reality to apply as much as they should in the 'real' world. He sighed, shaking his head with a faint chuckle. Smiling vaguely, he glanced over at Ada. "Mind if I go with you?" He asked, assuming that Ada would be going over to retrieve her book from this man, whoever he was. Laiko simply found that the man provoked an unexpected interest in him. His ears definitely recognised that voice, yet his mind did not remember the speaker. Was it possible that he had met his man before? Sometime in the past? In a time long forgotten...? He was starting to feel rather excited at the prospect. Somehow he had just always assumed that he would never meet anybody who had known him, since nobody had been at the hospital that night... Then again, he supposed all this was probably just wishful thinking. Most likely the man's voice just reminded him of somebody else he knew, and he just couldn't think who at the time...

Back to top Go down

Post  Middy Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:23 pm

"Ada!" The man called, walking over and knocking on the door, "I have that book I borrowed from you." He said, raising his hand to display the book. It was one of my teachers from school. At first, I didn't remember letting him borrow the book and my hand hesitated on the doorknob. "Know what's funny..." Laiko mumbled with a slight frown. I turned to him, my hand releasing the door knob. "I could swear I've heard his voice before, but I don't think I've ever met him." Laiko admitted, and I nodded. Was my teacher possibly someone Laiko had met in the past? This was one of my favorite teachers, and I was pretty sure he liked me too. He was one of the most understanding about my eyes and taught me well. "Mind if I go with you?" Laiko asked, breaking my thoughts and bringing me back to earth. I couldn't just leave him out there, could I? "Sure," I said, opening the door and heading outside. "Mr. Burns!" I said with a slight smile, and he grinned back. He was probably glad to see that I had more self-confidence now. "I have been borrowing your book for some time now, and I figured I should bring it back," He said with a smile and I laughed. I looked at the book, recognizing it instantly. "Thanks!" I said, taking the book from him. "Do you want to come in for a minute?" I asked him generously. I was sure that he would be interested in the seagull and might be able to give us some tips. And there was the fact that I hadn't seem him in ages...

Middy

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:46 am

"Of course." He replied with a pleasant smile - clearly eager to catch up with his old students. He wiped his feet on the mat outside the door, then stepped inside. As he glanced up, he saw Laiko, and the sight made him blanch. Staggering backwards, he grabbed the doorframe for support, then pointed an accusing finger at him, his eyes wide with shock. "Y-you..." He stammered nervously. He shook his head, frowning and studying Laiko carefully. "It is you!" He exclaimed. Laiko raised his eyebrows and shifted his weight awkwardly from foot to foot. What exactly was going on here...? "Matt. Matt Bauer." Mr. Burns confirmed with a nod, stepping closer and peering at Laiko as though he was a particularly interesting mould experiment. "But..." He began, frowning in concentration as he frowned at Laiko's face. "They told me you'd died." He admitted bluntly. "I went to your funeral." Laiko's eyebrows disappeared amongst the soft blonde strands of his fringe at those words, and he blinked in surprise before finally clearing his throat and managing to say something. "Well, I'm sorry for you loss, Sir, but-" Laiko began, though Mr. Burns interjected before he could finish. "Oh, don't give me that!" He snapped. "I'm not crazy, and I never forget a face!" He concluded with a firm nod. Rendered speechless, Laiko stared down at his feet for a moment, then glanced at Ada with a helpless expression - hoping she would be able to do something to get him out of this tricky situation. Mr. Burns must have made some mistake, obviously. His name was not Matt Bauer, and he most certainly wasn't dead. Perhaps he just had a common face... Yes, that must be it...

Back to top Go down

Post  Middy Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:30 am

I smiled and nodded, closing the door behind me as we all went in. "Do you want some-" My sentence broke off quickly as my teacher stared at Laiko. "Y-you..." The teacher stammered nervously. "What's wrong, Mr. Burns?" I asked quickly. "It is you!" He exclaimed. I listened curiously. Did another person recognize him? First the vet, now my teacher!? This was insane. "Matt. Matt Bauer." Something about that name seemed familiar; I couldn't put my finger on what it was... "But..." He began, frowning in concentration as he frowned at Laiko's face. "They told me you'd died." Something about that sounded even more familiar... I just didn't know what... "I went to your funeral." Laiko wasn't believing any of it, though. Something told me that this time, my teacher wasn't going crazy. After all, Laiko's whole childhood was a mystery. After all, his name could have been anything before that day! Maybe, they had a fake funeral while Laiko was surviving in the hospital. For some reason, they wanted everyone to believe that Matt Bauer was dead, when it could be Laiko the whole time... Just thinking about it all gave me a headache. "Oh, don't give me that!" He snapped. "I'm not crazy, and I never forget a face!" Mr. Burns concluded with a firm nod. Laiko was looking at me, like he wanted me to help him out. Was he a part of the secret? Or just confused? "What if he's right, Laiko?" I asked quietly, breaking the sudden silence. "I know it's you, Matt Bauer!" Mr. Burns insisted, and I shushed him. "The vet looked like he recognized you, and now my teacher. And you don't remember anything before," I only said before becuase I wasn't sure if Laiko wanted Mr. Burns to know, "So how would you know? Maybe your name was Matt Bauer." I said finally, going over to my laptop. "What was the name of the funeral home, Mr. Burns?" I asked him.

Middy

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:12 am

Laiko frowned slightly at Ada's response, suddenly feeling completely isolated - as though he was some strange specimen in a science lab just there to be studied. He had thought that Ada, at least, would side with him... But wait, why was he even denying it? Who was he to say he wasn't this... This... 'Matt Bauer'? But then it struck him: He didn't want to know all this. He didn't want to remember. If nobody had come for him when he was in the hospital... If he had been shot so many times, and was still being hunted... What sort of jerk must he have been? He didn't want to face that. He couldn't... He was scared. laiko glanced up at Ada again as she began to speak. He had to admit that what she said made sense... "It wasn't." Laiko replied simply, though even to him that sounded like the sort of pathetic answer of somebody who knew that they could not prove their point - but were not willing to accept it. He didn't like all this... Laiko shifted his weight nervously from foot to foot, feeling as though Mr. Burns's eyes were 'burning' right through him. "Ada, I don't think..." He began to object, but Mr. Burns cut him off with his answer. "Doves Funeral Home." Mr. Burns replied. "I'm pretty sure that's what it was called..." He trailed off, shooting Laiko a strange glance, as though not sure what to think of him. "Can't somebody just-" Laiko began again, but apparently nobody was listening, for Mr. Burns had walked over to Ada now and was bending down and leaning over the laptop screen, staring greedily at whatever information it held.
"Well, if you two are happy doing that, I guess I'll just... Get out of here..." He muttered uncertainly, starting to edge toward the door. He didn't want to know any of this...

Back to top Go down

Post  Middy Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 am

Laiko obviously didn't want to know any of this. But why? If it were me, I would definitley want to know. He seemed... scared. I typed in Doves Funeral Home, but my finger froze on the enter button when Laiko began to speak. "Well, if you two are happy doing that, I guess I'll just... Get out of here..." He muttered uncertainly, starting to edge toward the door. I sighed, shutting down the laptop. This wasn't right. Laiko didn't want to know, and I didn't want to be left friendless. "Maybe another time, Mr Burns." I lied with a smile, and he smiled back, straightening up. "Yes, I'm sorry for the trouble," He said with a smile, seeming embarassed. The poor child probably felt harassed, and that wasn't right, he thought. "Perhaps I am going crazy..." He mumured as he headed out the door. "Goddbye!" He calledn in a slightly louder tone before heading down the street. "I'm sorry, Laiko. I guess we got carried away..." I said with a sigh, hoping he would forgive me. "But, if you don't mind me asking, why don't you want to know?" I asked softly, my gaze meeting his green eyes. Looking closer, I noticed they weren't the same shade they had been when I met him, or at least that was how it seemed... "Do your eyes change color slightly?" I asked him curiously. I thought I had read something about that before...

Middy

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:01 am

Laiko was barely able to contain his relief as Ada shut the laptop down. He felt bad about making such a fuss, even more so when it drove Mr. Burns to leave... But still, it was his life, wasn't it? He didn't know what skeletons his closet held... Shouldn't he have the option to hide them if he wanted to? "Goodbye." He murmured softly, raising a hand in farewell as My Burns began to leave. He glanced back at Ada as she spoke, a slightly ashamed smile on his face. "No, I'm sorry, I-" he broke off as her next words reached his mind, and he dropped his gaze to the ground fidgeting for a moment before he finally met Ada's gaze again, a troubled expression on his usually cheerful face. "Think about it Ada.." He murmured softly, "What sort of scum must I have been that nobody was there to claim me when I woke up in the hospital? Not only that - but people want me dead. What must I have done to deserve death?!" He trailed off, shaking his head with a clearly distressed expression. "I don't want to be that guy." He concluded quietly, hoping that she would understand.
"M-my eyes?" He stammered, slightly taken aback by her sudden question when he was still feeling so nervous and uncertain. "I... I think so... I don't know, maybe." He shrugged vaguely, suddenly dropping his gaze and looking away from her. He couldn't quite bring himself to meet her eyes. He really needed to get a grip and calm down, but he felt as shocked and shaken as if he'd barely avoided being hit by a train or something. He couldn't remember even being so scared before...

Back to top Go down

Post  Middy Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:26 am

"Think about it Ada.." Laiko murmured softly, "What sort of scum must I have been that nobody was there to claim me when I woke up in the hospital? Not only that - but people want me dead. What must I have done to deserve death?!" He trailed off, looking distressed. "I don't want to be that guy." He concluded quietly, hoping that she would understand. The realization hit me like a slap in the face. Why hadn't I realized that? And he looked so upset; I obviously wasn't a very good friend. "M-my eyes?" He stammered. I obviously hadn't asked the right thing that time. "I... I think so... I don't know, maybe." He looked so sad and distressed; it gave me a gut-wrenching feeling to think that it was all my fault. "I-I'm sorry..." I said, my violet eyes troubled. He was looking scared. I didn't want him to be like that. Having a strange urge to comfort him, I was hesitant as I took his hand and sat him down on the couch. "You don't know that. Maybe everyone did think you were -" I broke off just as I was about to say dead. I had a feeling that would not be helpful. "And what does it matter what people thought about you, or if you were mean? That's the past. You need to forget about it." I half-smiled at my words. "Well, techicnally, you already forgot about it." I told him. Suddenly, the phone rang and I got up to answer it. "Hello?" I asked. I looked down, suddenly remembering the seagull on the floor. "Is this Ada Bordeau?" The person on the phone asked. "Yes," I answered, confused. "Why?" I asked. The woman on the other line sighed. "I have some news that might be very upsetting for you." I was confused again. "What?" I asked. "Well, your mother and brother were found in the house -" the woman paused. "They were found dead." I almost dropped the phone. "No," I whispered, barely audible. "I'm sorry, Ada, but it's true. We were just calling to see if you knew anything about their wills and will you be attending the funeral? We want to-" I hung up the phone and hurried to my room. I couldn't let Laiko see me like this, especially when he was so upset. I didn't even take the time to lock the door, I just went straight to my bed as the tears began to flow. I sobbed and sobbed, getting out all of those bottled up feelings. I didn't want to end up crying again later, though I knew that I probably would. The worst part was that it was all my fault. If only I had gotten my mother help sooner... and let my brother come with me... it was my fault that my whole family was dead, and it made me feel like a murderer. Something about how the lady had said 'they were found dead' basically gave away the whole story. I knew my mother hadn't gotten enough help, and that she would go right back to the drugs. Then, she would get angry at my brother for being his usally bubbly self, and kill him, then sob and kill herself. That was the effect drugs had on her, and I had managed to calm herself out of it most of the time. But when I wasn't there? I should ahve known this was bound to happen! I balled my hands up into fists as my sobbing quieted to tears, with the occasional hiccup. I was all my fault, and I couldn't do anything to change it.

Middy

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Laiko looked up at Ada in slight surprise as she took his hand. He had not expected such a gesture from her... She was obviously the more closed-off type, whereas he was the one who tended to be openly affectionate the majority of the time. However, this fact simply made him appreciate the gesture all the more, and he managed a timid smile as he allowed her to lead him to the couch. Already feeling much calmer and more like himself, Laiko sat down beside her and fixed his bright green gaze upon her. He listened intently as she spoke, and soon he felt a smile creeping onto his face, then gradually widening as it gained in confidence and sincerity. She could not have chosen her words better to reassure him. "Thank you." He murmured softly as she finished. He could think of nothing else to say. Those two simple words said it all. He could not have been more grateful. It had been a weak moment for him, and yet she had been more understanding than he could ever have wished for.
Laiko's head jerked up as the phone rang and he quickly got to his feet, hovering uncertainly as he watched Ada. His face creased into a concerned from as he watched her expression change from confusion to horror and heard her give a soft whisper of denial. What had happened? Next thing he knew, Ada had hung up the phone and dashed away, clearly in a state. He instantly made the decision not to go after her right away. He had an awful feeling he knew what might have happened, but he felt he needed to confirm it before attempting to comfort her, for fear of saying the wrong thing. Besides, she clearly wanted a little time alone... Laiko walked over to the phone and called the most recent number on the 'received calls' list. After hearing what the woman had said and discussing a few details with her, he hung up the phone and crept slowly up the stairs. He tapped softly on Ada's door as he entered and, saying nothing, walked over to the bed and stood beside her. He placed his hand gently on her shoulder, then sat down beside her and wrapped one arm around her shoulders, gently pulling her closer to him whilst gently rubbing her back. He neither spoke nor met her eyes, as he understood that there was nothing he could say or do to ease her pain. As such, he simply sat beside her, a comforting presence, and rubbed her back gently in soothing, rhythmic strokes that he felt sure would somehow calm her. He felt utterly helpless, but he swallowed hi despair, for now was clearly not the time to worry about his own issues. He only wished there was something, anything he could have done to save Ada this pain. He didn't know how, but he thought he understood it. And it hurt... It hurt like like a burn from hellfire.

Back to top Go down

Post  Middy Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:25 pm

I didn't bother look up as the door opened and Laiko came in. He sat down and gently rubbed my back, putting his other arm around my shoulders. The rhythmic strokes calmed me like nothing else could at the moment. "It's my fault... and their gone... I shouldn't have left him..." I mumbled, beginning to tremble as another tear rolled down my cheek. Laiko did everything he could do for me, and I appreciated that. I wasn't sure how he knew, I just knew that somehow, he knew the whole story. Something about that made it better as we sat there in silence. I closed my eyes, just wanting to get it all out. I knew that I couldn't change it, so I should just go on with life. But it hurt. It hurt really bad, like a chunk of me had been taken away. It made we want to scream and yell and sob some more, but I knew that wouldn't help. "When is the funeral?" I asked Laiko weakly. My violet eyes were filled with a sadness like never before as I looked up at him, barely hearing the squawking and barking downstairs. I least I still had Laiko... yes, Laiko. The person I had only met yesterday and was already the best friend I had ever had. The person who I wasn't sure I could go without anymore... not now that my mother and brother were gone along with my grandmother, grandfather, and father. I sighed, feeling so helpless and defeated. He was so young... maybe eleven or so... he didn't deserve that. I shouldn't have left. I should have been there to shield him from the blow; he still had so much growing up to do. It wasn't fair... "Want to go for a walk?" I asked quietly, wanting to clear my head. And we would have to do something about the poor bird... I let out a deep breath, knowing a needed to get a grip. I had a guest, a dog and a seagull to care for, after all...

Middy

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:40 am

Laiko shook his head, tightening his arm around Ada's shoulders in a light squeeze. "It's not your fault." He murmured softly, though he left off there, for he could think of nothing else to say. What was he supposed to say...? 'Everybody dies'? Yeah, that would make her feel better for sure... No, the best thing he could do would just be to keep quiet... Even if the feeling of helplessness was so painful that he was almost tempted to rip his hair out and bang his head against the wall...
Laiko resurfaced from his thoughts at Ada's question, and as her words began to sink in, he felt a flash of admiration for her courage. To be able to think so logically, even after such a shock... Most people wouldn't dream of asking such an important question, as grief always blinded judgement. But not Ada, no, she was stronger than that. That was exactly why he needed her so much... He was weak. He wouldn't have been able to cope with this as she had... Look how he had reacted just to the prospect of regaining his own memories? Once again, Laiko was forced to shove his thoughts away as he answered. "June 12th." He replied quietly, his tone subdued and hushed. The woman had told him that they would be taking some extra time to perform proper autopsies on the bodies and confirm the cause of death, but of course he need not mention that. He could barely believe that all this was happening... Surely he was about to wake up and find it had all just been a nightmare? Just some terrible dream? It had to be, because this wasn't allowed to happen. Not to his friend... It just couldn't happen, it wasn't right. Things like this happened in the movies, but not in real life... Then again, people didn't really get shot in real life, did they...? Not in the world he lived in. It seemed life wasn't as simple as he had anticipated after all. Tragedies did indeed exist...
"Sure." He murmured softly at Ada's next words - glad for the opportunity to be able to do something to take his mind of it all. He felt so shocked and empty, it felt almost as though he had been the one to suffer the loss, not Ada... He could scarcely imagine what she must be going through.
Laiko got to his feet and held out his hand to Ada, a concerned expression lingering on his face.

Back to top Go down

Post  Middy Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:05 am

I nodded as Laiko told me the date. They probably needed to do some investigating before the funeral. "Sure." He murmured softly and got up, offering me a hand. I took it and got up, heading downstairs. The bird let out a squawk and I sighed, heading to the fridge to get something for it to eat. I tried to get my thoughts off of my mother and brother as another tear escaped. Get a grip, I thought as I took out some bread and cut it up into tiny pieces, sniffing slightly. I presented the bread to the bird and it gobbled it up hungrily. "Let's go," I whispered, my voice barely audible as I reached for the doorknob. Max whined and looked up at me with his soft brown eyes, seeming concerned as I petted his warm golden fur and gave him a hug, my eyes glistening with tears. I looked behind me at Laiko and began walking down the street, taking the deep breath of the summer air. Step with your right, step with your left. Right, Left. Right, left. I kept my gaze down, concentrating on my footsteps. I was thankful to have Laiko with me; without him, I would have been completely alone(well, besides Max). I looked over at him. "Thank you," I whispered, the same words he had said to me what felt like hours, but had only been a few minutes ago. "I was so stupid... so stupid..." I sighed. Why couldn't I have been smart? And gotten my mother help? Then none of this would have happened. She was a wonderful mother, what was when she wasn't on the drugs. I should have gotten her the help she needed, not accepted the blows, or ran to hiding. It just wasn't fair! I stomped my food in frustration. I just wished I could take it all back... everything I had said to her... leaving my brother... doing all of the wrong things that I thought were right. "Not fair. Not fair. Not fair." I whispered before taking a deep breath. Get a grip, Ada. Get a grip already! You've sulked enough. We had been walking for a few minutes in silence now, and I cherished that. Laiko was so good at helping everyone; it was almost ironic how much he did for everyone. He didn't deserve this. "I'm sorry. [i]For everything. I shouldn't have dragged you into my failure of a life." I said with a sigh. "You shouldn't have to go through this. If anyone suffers, it should be me. Just me." I said, sighing again.

Middy

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Laiko followed Ada down the stairs, then hung back and watched with detached concern as she fetched some bread for the bird. He didn't want to intrude on her thoughts, though at the same time, he could not bear to just let her suffer in silence either. If only he had known her a little longer... Talked to her a little more... Perhaps then he would know what she would have preferred. Her soft words jolted Laiko from his thoughts, and he jumped slightly before relaxing and following her over to the door. He was still twitchy from his own near catastrophe, which now felt like nothing beside Ada's predicament. Laiko paused as he reached the door, patting Max gently. He enjoyed the feeling of the dog's warm golden fur under his fingers for a moment, then gave him a final firm pat before jogging a few steps to catch up with Ada and walking beside her down the road. They had been walking in silence for quite some time, Laiko's eyes following the progress of his feet on the ground, when Ada finally spoke. Thank you. The simplest words imaginable, yet somehow the last ones he wanted to hear. He didn't deserve that... He was about to open his mouth to object, but before he could Ada was speaking again - this time muttering that she had been stupid. Okay, he stood corrected, that was the last thing he wanted to hear. "Ada-" He began, but he broke off as she started speaking again. Wait... Now she was apologising?! Not only that, but blaming herself. Oh Hell no! "Ada!" Laiko spoke sternly, his voice unexpectedly authoritative. He stepped in front of her, grabbing her shoulders and holding her still with a firm grip. He locked his eyes upon hers, his concerned gaze searching her face for a moment before he continued. "Listen to me now - this isn't your fault, all right? You can't keep blaming yourself like this, do you understand me? It'll destroy you, and I'm not willing to let that happen." His words were harsh and blunt and his tone was fierce, but Laiko's expression showed naught but a deep-set concern and a fiery determination to protect Ada as best he could. He couldn't undo what had happened, or turn back the clocks to make time rewind, but he could make sure she didn't end up like the dozens of people that he had seen lose themselves through blame and bitterness. "Don't ever let me hear you say that..." Laiko murmured softly, shaking his head. His voice had lost its harsh, fierce note from before, and now seemed comparatively weak and feeble. "Don't you ever say something like that again." He pleaded, his voice cracking slightly as he glanced up at her, tears starting to glisten in his eyes.

Back to top Go down

Post  Middy Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:00 am

"Ada!"
I had never seen Laiko with a tone like this. He stepped in front of me and I flinched as he grabbed my shoulders with a firm grip. He locked his eyes upon hers, his concerned gaze searching my face. "Listen to me now - this isn't your fault, all right? You can't keep blaming yourself like this, do you understand me? It'll destroy you, and I'm not willing to let that happen." His words were harsh and his tone was fierce, but his expression looked concerned for me. I sighed softly. "Don't ever let me hear you say that..." Laiko murmured softly, shaking his head. His voice seemed to had lost it's blunt harshness that ripped me to shreds. "Don't you ever say something like that again." His words were weak and feeble, and I wanted to say yes, but what was the use in lying? I didn't say anything. I hated hurting him like this. But at the same time, I knew he was wrong. It was at least partly my fault, there was no denying that. And how I saw it, it was 100% my fault. I began to cry again and turned my face away from Laiko. I really didn't want him to see my like this, so I swallowed the huge lump in my throat and wiped my tears. "Let's go back to the house," I said with huge effort as I held back my tears. I turned around and began walking in the direction of the house, my footsteps thudding on the pavement as I burst into a sprint, then a slow jog. What everyone said was right; you couldn't run away from you fears or sadness, but you could at least clear your mind while doing it. My breath came in short, deep breaths as I thought back to elementary school, and all the compliments I received from the gym teacher, my favorite teacher by far. Nice pace, Ada. Keep up the good work. I thought about all the times he had suggested that I sign up for the Fiddler's Run they held every fall, and how I had alwaus refused. I knew my mother wouldn't allow it and I had to be there to protect my little brother. I had made up countless excuses year by year; Sorry Joe, we have company coming from away that weekend. Sorry, I can't. I'm babysitting my brother that day. Maybe next year, Joe. We have a close family friend in the hospital. The truth was, 'next year' never came.

[Bad post. I need to work up some muse... Razz]

Middy

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:53 am

"Ada, I-" Laiko began, but she had already turned away. His hand reached out wistfully after her, but as she broke into a run it fell listlessly to his side. He closed his mouth and gulped past the lump in his throat, dropping his defeated gaze to the ground. What had he done...? He had made everything a thousand times worse, just from a few simple words! Damn damn damn! What was wrong with him? He was useless to her... The thought felt like a knife twisting in an open wound, and suddenly Laiko could take it no longer. He dropped to his knees in the road, hanging his head and letting his spine bend as he hunched his back in complete and utter defeat. He was so useless... So useless... And now, here he sat, feeling all sorry for himself in his misery and depression whilst Ada was coping with a real problem! Something the likes of which he could barely imagine. How sad must she be... What must that degree of pain feel like? He didn't even want to know. If anything should hurt more than the pain he felt at that moment... The pain of not being able to do anything, anything at all for Ada when she was so upset... If anything should hurt more than that, then he would sooner die than experience it. Oh, but he was pathetic... Ada was so strong, so great... And he was just nothing. Weak, feeble and helpless... Nothing but a burden to her... Just a burden... Laiko felt his head drooping lower, but then he forced himself to look up, just in time to see a car turning into the street. A premonition sliced through him like ice, accompanied by a flash of Deja Vu at the sight of the number plate. "Ada!" He yelled, flinging himself to his feet and sprinting after her like he had never sprinted in his life - his legs flying like pistons and his soft blonde hair blowing back away from his face as he prayed for every ounce of speed he possessed and more. The car was shooting down the road, then swerving toward Ada. Laiko pressed on, racing frantically faster as he watched the door of the car fly open and a group of masked men in dark suits get out. This wasn't happening... This couldn't behappening... No, no, NO!

Back to top Go down

Post  Middy Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:39 am

"Ada!" Laiko yelled, running toward me. I was relieved he had decided to follow; I hoped he hadn't thought I was running any from him... "Laiko, I-" I didn't even finish my sentence as I was grabbed from behind. I screamed and kicked feebly, stopping as I lost my breath and I was dragged into the backseat of a car and the door was slammed shut. I tried desperately to get out, but the doors all had child lock on them. Soon, my captors were in the car and driving away with a screech of tires. I banged on the darkly tainted window as I watched Laiko, a feeling of dread coming over me. But wasn't this what I wanted? I probably should have expected it, actually. But what about Max, Laiko and the little seagull? I couldn't just give up without a fight. Suddenly, I noticed someone in the backseat of the car beside me, with another one of those nasty pills in his hand. I let out a string of curses and then clamped my mouth shut, refusing the pill. When the person held my nose and I eventually opened my mouth, I bit his finger as hard as I could. Then it was him letting out the string of curses and I gave a satisfied smile. But it wasn't long after and the pill was shoved down my throat, and I fell asleep, falling into the black hole of darkness.

"Do you think he'll still follow?" The driver said. The person in the passenger seat looked behind him. "Well, he's still sprinting. Turn into this alley." He instructed and the driver did as he was told. "How is the girl doing back there?" the person in the passenger seat asked, and the person in back stared at the blonde girl. "She's still out cold." The person in back said. "You know, I never would have expected him, of all assasins, to get a girlfriend..." The driver sighed, coming to a stop. "It's not his girlfriend, for the millionth time. Get your hearing checked. He's gay. I sighed contentedly, beginnnig to wake from my sleepy slumber. "Where am I...?" I mumbled.

Middy

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:02 pm

Laiko dashed madly after the car - ignoring the burning sensations coming from his legs and lungs. They wouldn't get away... He wouldn't let them get away! Spinning around a corner and almost falling over as his feet skidded out from under him, Laiko quickly righted himself before dashing into the alleyway. He was forced to a stop as he suddenly collided with something. Taking a step back and frowning in bewilderment, only to find himself nose to nose with a tall, broad chested man whose bearded face creased into a snarl as he pressed a gen to Laiko's forehead. For a moment his breath caught in his throat, and he thought he might panic, but then a sickening sense of calm seeped over him, and everything seemed to fade away around him until he saw only the man: Clear as a crystal by comparison. As though in slow motion, Laiko felt his lips curving into a smile, and before he knew it his throat was gurgling with hysterical laughter, though he had no idea where it had come from. The man seemed slightly disgruntled, and began yelling something which, from the movement of his lips, seemed to be 'shut up', but Laiko could no hear him. He couldn't hear anything beside his own racing pulse. The man turned away from him for an instant to shout to the people behind him, and Laiko skillfully kneed him in the stomach and wrenched the gun from his grasp, firing a bullet through his brain before he even had time to double over in pain. He fell like a lip ragdoll - blood spewing from the hole in his skull - then e hit the ground, twitched once, and was still. He blew softly on the gun, then raised his eyebrows and regarded the rest of the group with a sinisterly uninterested expression. "Anybody else want a go?" He questioned innocently, spinning the gun casually between his fingers. The men all exchanged glances and nervously shifted slightly closer together. As his senses started to return and the world began to right itself, Laiko found himself able to think more clearly. "Unhand Ada." He ordered in a dangerously soft voice, "Or I'll make you."

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next