Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Middy and Polo

2 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Middy and Polo - Page 8 Empty Re: Middy and Polo

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:09 pm

"I know everything!" Laiko retorted with an impish grin, desperate to keep Ada's worry at bay. He couldn't stand to see her so concerned because of his mess up... If that's what it had been... He really wasn't sure. He didn't understand what had happened... Perhaps he ought to have told Ada about it, but how could he, when he didn't understand himself...? Thinking back to his words a moment before, Laiko felt a soft chuckle escape his lips. The irony... Him, Laiko, know everything? He didn't even know his own name for Pete's sake! ... Come to think of it, he didn't know who Pete was either, but he guessed there were many people who didn't really know that.
Laiko's face split into a grin as Max trotted toward him. The rested his head in Laiko's lap, staring up at him with baleful eyes and whining softly. "It's okay, Max." Laiko assured him with a smile, gently stroking the dog's golden head. His fur felt soft and smooth beneath Laiko's fingers, and somehow the texture seemed to exhaust him all over again. It was strange, how he could have a sudden burst of energy, then suddenly become very tired again... Not to mention the fact that he changed moods faster than he could change his socks... Wait... Maybe he was on to something here... "Say, Ada..." Laiko began thoughtfully, patting Max absentmindedly as he glanced up at her. "When I arrived here... Do you think- I mean, did it seem like I might have been... Drugged?"

((Ditto))
Polo trapped in an inkpot

Location : With the beast under your bed, in your closet, in your head...

Back to top Go down

Post  Middy Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:08 pm

"I know everything!" Laiko retorted with an impish grin, and I decided to just let it go. "You're one to talk," I joked. I was trying to convince myself that everything would be alright. That Laiko would pull through. He always did, right? I sighed. "Does this sort of thing happen often?" I asked, talking about the kidnapping and shooting. No offence to whoever was doing all of this, but the whole kidnapping thing was getting old... I wondered what they would do next. They wouldn't ever kill me, would they? The thought made me feel sick. I quietly sat down on the couch, and booted up my laptop. I felt like I had to get to the bottom of this. But I wasn't a detective, and certainly no Nacy Drew or Sherlock Holmes. It seemed impossible. I sighed and turned away from the computer. I didn't want to do this right now. I was itching to know what had happened with Laiko when I left. Had it been the same people? I highly doubted that, but it could be... "Say, Ada..." Laiko began. I turned to him curiously, wondering what he was going to ask. I got up, sitting on the chair beside him once more. "When I arrived here... Do you think- I mean, did it seem like I might have been... Drugged?" I thought about it for a moment before answering. "Well, you definitley weren't high," I said thoughtfully, "But you were really... out of it. I thought it was just blood loss, but you could be right..." I thought some more. I didn't know much about drugs, though there had been a few times when people on the streets offered them to me. I never accepted, though there were many times I was tempted. But after my experience with my mother, I didn't want to risk getting hurt or in trouble.

Middy

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:37 pm

Laiko snickered at Ada's words, glad that she was able to joke around again - and thus that she had ceased to worry about him unnecessarily... Though when he really thought about it, there probably was good reason to worry, even if it wasn't necessary... He couldn't know his fate, after all, and since he'd refused hospital treatment there was a strong possibility that the blood loss would in fact kill him. Yet somehow, he struggled to comprehend that. He had always pulled through before, so somehow the prospect of dying now seemed... False. As though it wasn't really possible, at least, not for him.
He glanced up at Ada with a smile as she spoke again, then let a frown of concentration slither over his face as he pondered her words. "It's hard to say..." He admitted thoughtfully, "I mean, obviously I don't know if, or how often, it happened before, but since that first time, I've hardly left the school grounds. Now that I've had to - it seems to be happening rather often, doesn't it? Perhaps they won't stop until they get what they want from me... Whatever the hell that is." Laiko chuckled and shrugged vaguely, then concluded his reply, "Well, there isn't much we can do about it, right? So we can just let it go." He laughed again at those words, for it struck him as extremely amusing that he could speak so lightly about something as serious as attempts on their lives. His laughter soon came to an abrupt halt, however, when Laiko felt a sharp pain raging through his entire upper-body from the bandaged wound slashed across it. "Shouldn't laugh..." He muttered feebly, wincing and shifting himself into a more comfortable position - his face once again taking on an ashen tinge. Once the initial pain subsided, Laiko brushed it aside and glanced back to Ada with a smile. He nodded in response to her words, thinking over it carefully. "Right, then..." He murmured softly, "I think I've managed to puzzle some of this out, though I feel quite a fool because of it." He gave a half-hearted chuckle, then launched into his explanation. "Well, you know how I am, right? Okay, I suppose I should be more specific... You know I have a sort of... 'Trust now, question later' tendency? And I seem pretty oblivious to lies, sarcasm or anything or the sort... So when I was sitting there feeling, I must admit, rather distraught, a group of guys came up to me. I remember it vaguely, but it's still hazy, so I don't know... Maybe they were a gang or something... Anyway, I half remember one of them offering me something, promising that the pain would go away. Of course I, being the gullible fool I am, accepted. From then on I barely remember anything. There was blood without pain... Then I reached the conclusion that I was dying, and felt an urge to defend myself. Then there was more blood, I don't know whose, and I don't know who drew it, though I expect... I expect it was probably me..." He paused a moment here, seeming deeply troubled by this thought, then shook it off and went on, "Next thing I knew they were gone, and all I could think of was that I had to make it back here. Well, you can obviously see that I did... And by that time I was starting to function - vaguely. That's pretty much all I've got so far..." Laiko shrugged vaguely, then watched Ada with slight apprehension as he awaited her reaction.

Back to top Go down

Post  Middy Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:07 pm

"It's hard to say..." Laiko admitted thoughtfully, "I mean, obviously I don't know if, or how often, it happened before, but since that first time, I've hardly left the school grounds. Now that I've had to - it seems to be happening rather often, doesn't it? Perhaps they won't stop until they get what they want from me... Whatever the hell that is." He chuckled slightly, and I joined in. "Well, there isn't much we can do about it, right? So we can just let it go." He laughed, and I smiled slightly. This whole thing had my stomach feeling queasy. Laiko's laughing came to an abrupt halt, and I looked up, concerned. "Shouldn't laugh..." He muttered feebly, wincing as he shifted himself slightly. "How is that bandage holding up?" I asked him curiously, looking down at his chest where the bandage was. It was sodden with the crimson liquid, and I felt more queasy. "Right, then..." He murmured softly, "I think I've managed to puzzle some of this out, though I feel quite a fool because of it." He gave a half-hearted chuckle, then launched into his explanation. "Well, you know how I am, right? Okay, I suppose I should be more specific... You know I have a sort of... 'Trust now, question later' tendency? And I seem pretty oblivious to lies, sarcasm or anything or the sort... So when I was sitting there feeling, I must admit, rather distraught, a group of guys came up to me. I remember it vaguely, but it's still hazy, so I don't know... Maybe they were a gang or something... Anyway, I half remember one of them offering me something, promising that the pain would go away. Of course I, being the gullible fool I am, accepted. From then on I barely remember anything. There was blood without pain... Then I reached the conclusion that I was dying, and felt an urge to defend myself. Then there was more blood, I don't know whose, and I don't know who drew it, though I expect... I expect it was probably me..." He paused a moment here, seeming deeply troubled by this thought, then shook it off and went on, "Next thing I knew they were gone, and all I could think of was that I had to make it back here. Well, you can obviously see that I did... And by that time I was starting to function - vaguely. That's pretty much all I've got so far..." Laiko shrugged vaguely. I sighed. "Drugs, Laiko? Really?" I sighed again, rolling my eyes slightly. "I must admit, you are a bit stupid." I laughed slightly, hoping I hadn't offended him. So he could fight off well-trained men, but not a gang? Because I had left him? I felt guilty all over again, and the queasy feeling returned. What if Laiko wasn't alright? What if he died the moment I turned my back? "I-I'm scared." I whispered to Laiko, tears in my eyes. "What if you aren't okay? What if you -" I refused to say the horrible word. "Don't you think you should go to the hospital?"

Middy

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:40 pm

"I know, I know." Laiko replied, shaking his head and chuckling softly. "It's a full time job, keeping me from doing something stupid." He added with a wink. Laiko fell silent then, and leaned back against the couch behind him, staring up at the ceiling. Ada had a point there... He really had been stupid. Of all the things to accidentally get involved in - drugs?! Had he never paid attention in health class? Honestly... Still, at least now he knew he wouldn't make the same mistake again. He would never make that mistake again... After all, look where it had landed him. Even he had to admit that it was somewhat uncomfortable to have one's chest feeling as though it had been used as a lion's scratching post. Still, at least Ada had done a good job fixing him up... Certainly every inch as good a job as he could have done himself. He assumed it would be good enough. He seemed to have a lot of blood, after all... Either that, or he needed less than most people, since most people definitely wouldn't survive after being found lying in the street with 3 bullets in their backs... How had he got there? Why had he been shot? Damn, but he wanted to know... Yet he dreaded what he might find. Then again, perhaps it was for the best... He was putting Ada in danger this way. Ada- Ah, she was speaking. Laiko glanced up as he heard her voice, then a concerned frown creased his face as he noticed the tears in her eyes. "Hey..." He murmured softly, leaning forward toward her. He ignored the pain, though it nearly blinded him, and reached out for her hand. "It's fine, Ada." He soothed, a soft smile creeping across his face. "I'm okay, really. If I go into the hospital, I might end up in prison for all I know." He shuddered slightly at this thought, then shook his head. "No, I really don't want to go into hospital." He concluded, nodding firmly. "Though if it makes you feel any better, I promise not to die on your watch." He added cheekily, a grin spreading across his face. "Honestly, Ada, you worry too much. You're going to give yourself wrinkles!" He scolded reproachfully, making an effort to keep himself as lively as possible, though in reality he was feeling completely drained. He just didn't want Ada to worry... Sure, he was knocking on death's door, but he had been through all this before, and besides, it was his problem - not hers. She had done enough for him, and all he had done was brought her problem after problem after problem... Then he'd still gone and hurt her, as if that wasn't enough! Sheesh, why did she even put up with him, never mind worrying about him...

Back to top Go down

Post  Middy Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:30 pm

"Hey..." He murmured softly, leaning forward toward me. I bit my lip. "It's fine, Ada." He soothed, a soft smile creeping across his face. "I'm okay, really. If I go into the hospital, I might end up in prison for all I know." He shuddered slightly at this thought, then shook his head. "No, I really don't want to go into hospital." He concluded, nodding firmly. "Though if it makes you feel any better, I promise not to die on your watch." He added cheekily, a grin spreading across his face. I listened to him and nodded, knowing he had a point. I swallowed the lump in my throat and the tears subsided. "Honestly, Ada, you worry too much. You're going to give yourself wrinkles!" I pretended to be angry. "Wrinkles, huh?" I smiled despite myself, my hands on my hips. "By the time I get wrinkles, you'll be paralyzed and probably resemble a human dart board." I smiled slightly, but my joke suddenly didn't seem so funny. I jumped, suprised when I felt a wet nose nudging my hand. "Max," I said with a smile, scratching him behind the ears. I had almost forgotten about him, and began to feel a bit guilty. The sweltering heat had left, and the sun was beginning to set. I felt as if I could fall asleep upright on the wooden kitchen chair, but I knew I wouldn't do that. There was a sudden silence, and I began having flashbacks. My brother playing catch in the backyard; my mother, smiling at me; Laiko lying on the pavement, shot; and coffins. Lots and lots of coffins. I bit my lip so hard I thought for sure I would draw blood. I had to stay strong, and I knew it. So I busied myself with more conversation. "Are you tired?" I asked Laiko, stroking Max's golden head. His soft fur beneath my fingers helped to calm me, and all the grief washed away once more.

[Finished! Hehe! Razz]

Middy

Back to top Go down

Post  Polo trapped in an inkpot Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:52 am

Laiko chuckled appreciatively at Ada's response, though managed to resist the urge to burst into ringing peals of laughter as he would ordinarily have done, since he had finally come to realise that the laughter had a rather unpleasant effect on him in his state. It was not an easily tolerable sensation, to feel one's skin ripping apart, nor to feel the terrible twitching spasms of shredded muscle fibres. Indeed, he was rather surprised his body could still function when his muscles had literally been ripped in half. Well, who was he to complain? Fool though he was, he had managed to survive, and, with the help of Ada's delightful sense of humour, he was gradually beginning to feel more perky. Though he had to admit, his spirits were dampened hugely every time he saw that pained expression cross Ada's face... Or course, she had just lost her entire family, and all he was doing was complicating matters and constantly making everything worse. Well, the least he could do for now would be to follow the conversation and keep her distracted. "A human dartboard?" Laiko repeated with a chuckle, "Okay, you win." He admitted, shaking his head in amusement. "I do need to be more careful." He added more seriously. "Sorry for making you worry."
Laiko released a long sigh then - letting go of a breath he hadn't even known he had been holding. Ouch, that hurt... Laiko winced slightly, then brushed the pain aside as he noticed Ada's expression. His brow furrowed in concern - which he was secretly somewhat grateful for, since it distracted him from his own pain. Wait... Then perhaps all this wasn't a bad thing after all? Maybe it was the same for Ada...? What if she could use his injury to distract herself from her own pain? Then again - maybe he was the only one who did things like that... Ah hell, he couldn't be bothered to try to understand all this now. "Tired...?" Laiko repeated vaguely - suddenly jerked out of his thoughts by Ada's voice. He glanced down as he noticed a flutter of movement, and smile slightly to see Ada stroking Max's head. He was such a good dog... "Max." Laiko murmured softly, a fond smile curving his lips as he gave the dog an affectionate pat before glancing up at Ada again. "I'm exhausted." He admitted with a shrug. "You look tired, too." He added gently, a soft note of concern in his voice. "You should get some sleep. I'm such a blabbermouth I'll keep you up all night if you don't escape soon." He added with a devious grin - hoping that she would take his light-hearted comment seriously. She definitely needed rest, and probably some time alone... He didn't want to rob her of that. He just wanted Ada to be happy... But half the time he had no clue what to do or say to achieve that. It was pathetic... He was pathetic. Perhaps... Yes, he ought to start trying to piece together the puzzle of his life. He couldn't go on like this... With his complete lack of knowledge, self control, experience... He could barely control his own emotions, since he didn't understand how - and that was dangerous. Maybe if he remembered all he had learned in those years he had forgotten, he would know how to ease Ada's burden? Then again - what if that knowledge only made it worse? Ah, well... He would dwell on all that in the morning. Now was not the time... He was tired and sore, so he highly doubted he was thinking perfectly straight.

Back to top Go down

Post  Middy Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:35 am

"A human dartboard?" Laiko repeated with a chuckle, "Okay, you win." Laiko admitted, shaking his head in amusement. "I do need to be more careful." He added more seriously. "Sorry for making you worry." I smiled slightly, "It's fine," I said. "Tired...?" Laiko repeated vaguely. "Max." Laiko murmured softly, smiling as he gave the dog an affectionate pat before glancing up at me again. "I'm exhausted." He admitted with a shrug. "You look tired, too." He added gently, and I nodded slightly. "You should get some sleep. I'm such a blabbermouth I'll keep you up all night if you don't escape soon." He added with a devious grin, and I grinned back. I was beginning to feel tired; it had been a long day for me, andf I was eager to go curl up in bed. "Do you want to sleep on the couch?" I asked Laiko. I knew it would be torture, trying to get him up those stairs. I decided to have a snack before bed, and began raiding the kitchen for something to eat. I soon settled on a bit of fruit and some cereal. "Need to get to the grocery store," I muttered half to myself as I poured some milk in my cereal bowl, grabbed a spoon, and got my fruit before sitting back down. Max watched be eagerly, which told me he was probably hungry. I got up once more, putting some water and dry food into Max's bowls before finally settling at the kitchen table with my snack. "Still not hungry?" I asked Laiko, not wanting to be rude as I put a spoonful of food into my mouth.

Middy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8